• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Steamlord

Oh man!!! The Kentucky Theater (in Lexington) has announced that they are not only showing NotLD, but also Suspiria! I might actually get to see this thing on the big screen.

Same here. I'm going to be seeing them back to back. Mother of god. And I might be taking a girl who doesn't have much experience with horror movies. That'll be fun.

Cannibal Holocaust
{snip}
However, I was perfectly fine watching the sequence that showed footage from various wars with actual humans getting shot in the head or worse. What does that say about me?
{snip}

How much of that real war footage is there? I find that kind of stuff extremely distasteful and would rather avoid it as well as the animal stuff.

Edit: Yes, I realize the irony in asking about tastefulness in Cannibal Holocaust. :(

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Since I had already committed I figured let's do Friday the 13th the 2009 remake!

It was mostly par for the course besides the fast paced start. Obviously the effects had 16 years to remaster themselves and the gore is very well done. The body bag roast was pretty satisfying as far as favorite kill.

How much of that real war footage is there? I find that kind of stuff extremely distasteful and would rather avoid it as well as the animal stuff.

Edit: Yes, I realize the irony in asking about tastefulness in Cannibal Holocaust. :(

In context of the story, it's a scene where some studio executives are reviewing a bold documentary filmmaker's past work. I'd say that part runs about 30 seconds to a minute tops. If you're watching out for it then it should be easy to avoid.

A part of me wishes I could have stomached the more obscene moments like the animal deaths. It has this effect on the brain that all of the violence on screen is real, and I've got to admit it's pretty clever despite being fucked up to all ends.

Guys, I’m... I’m not sure I can get through 31.
This might be my first quit. This is borderline unwatchable.

31? I haven't heard a good thing about it and also heard that it kind of confirms once and for all that The Devil's Rejects was a happy accident. It's a shame. I really do think that Zombie has some talent, there were some good visuals in H2. He just seems more concerned in giving us his version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 over and over.

Day 9

Martyrs
martyrs1.jpg
A horrifying tale of torture, guilt and endurance, Martyrs is well known for its shocking violence. What truly separates it from its contemporaries are the lengths to which the film is willing to go to repulse.

The performances are entirely too convincing, giving real palpable emotion to scenes that are entirely beyond what you’ve seen before in lesser films that cannot commit to delivering such horrifying imagery. There is so much more meat on the bones here than gore and good performances, the narrative is the most surprising aspect here. Martyrs isn’t afraid to offer lofty themes, the religious aspect being worn proudly on the sleeve, though I hesitate to say more since the ultimate result of the narrative is best left to the viewers interpretation.

This review is short and purposefully so; anyone with a strong enough stomach deserves to experience the film untainted by spoilers. It’s a riveting, shocking, audacious film, unrestrained and unforgiving. Martyrs is the rare film that will never leave you. Pointedly sharp and intentionally repellent, once you’ve seen it, you’ll never forget it - for better or worse.

8/10

Day 10

Have you ever seen a movie so unabashedly awful that you feel profound second hand embarrassment for everyone involved? 31 is far more egregious. I feel nothing but an indescribable anger directed at each and every person who was complicit in making this incoherent garbage a reality.

There are scripts written in basements by talented creatives with a vision and they will never materialize into a film and yet, Rob Zombie is allowed to touch a camera and a keyboard. It’s a movie so painful that a kidney stone would be preferable to ever sitting through this cinematic sludge ever again.

I’m a simple man. I like to laugh. I like to be scared. I like a good story. I like some good characters. 31 offers the antithesis to nearly everything I enjoy in a film. The hour and thirty seven minutes spent watching this tripe will never be given back to me. The motion sickness endured from the incomprehensible camera work will stick with me for the rest of my evening. This isn’t even a movie. It doesn’t deserve that title. This is a torture device.

.1/10
It only earns that decimal because technically speaking, my PS4 didn’t catch fire when it was streaming it. To be honest, I wish it had.

GhaleonEB

3) [REC] 3 | via Amazon streaming (Shudder trial)

I'd heard this was the black sheep of the series, but I enjoyed it a lot more than the second installment. I was not aware of the stylistic shift, but it was rather brilliant in how they pulled it off. This is a found footage film that
shifts to a traditional film style just over 20 minutes in. A character is doing the usual, "We have to film everything!" justification for keeping the camera rolling, and another character is like, "You're out of your fucking mind," and smashes the camera. Then it cuts to a traditional film. Fucking awesome.

There are a number of endearing characters (SpongeJohn being my favorite) and a LOT of setup/payoff, where the setups are not apparent until the end when the payoff happens and you're like, oh SHIT. I was really rooting for the bride and groom. Some great kickass scenes, hilarious use of abundant gore, some solid cinematography, and the film is quite ruthless. Which ended up being my big quibble, I didn't like the ending. But everything that came before was highly entertaining.

Gonna watch part 4 later this week.

sp3ctr3

#01 Serial Mom
#02 [REC]2
#03. Bloodsucking Bastards
#04. Train to Busan
#05 It Follows
#06 Hush
#07 Lights Out
#08 Cabin in the Woods (Re-watch)
#09 Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013)

#10 The Conjuring 2
MV5BZjU5OWVlN2EtODNlYy00MjhhLWI0MDUtMTA3MmQ5MGMwYTZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MTM4MzY@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

The first movie was probably one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, so I was looking forward to this one and man was this movie a blast!

This time the Warren's are traveling to England to investigate a supposedly haunted house. Was the first movie this action packed? It's been a while since I watched that but I don't recall it being this crazy. It's a mix between Poltergeist and The Exorcist with shit flying around and girls being possessed.

The start was positively the most creepy parts of the movie as you had no idea what you're dealing with. As the story unfolded and you got an idea of what was going on and what, it wasn't as nerve wrecking. Still some great scares in this movie though.

What really got to me was the ending, after the movie but before the credits.

It said that this movie is based on a real life event and that it's well documented. Then they played a sound bite from the real life event. Sent a fucking chill down my spine!... Was that shit real?

I watched this movie right before bedtime and that last bit had me staying up an extra hour so I could calm myself the fuck down. A grown man scared like that but jeesh that creeped me out.

It said that this movie is based on a real life event and that it's well documented. Then they played a sound bite from the real life event. Sent a fucking chill down my spine!... Was that shit real?
It’s widely accepted that this entire thing was a hoax put on by the family. “Evidence” like that clip are most likely faked, something the film touches on when Janet fakes the table incident but then backpedals to serve the franchise narrative.

Wanderer5

6. Sadako vs. Kayako

Okay sure, if Freddy vs. Jason is a thing, then how about this being a thing too. Overall it was okay, through it took quite a while to actually even get the ball rolling for the two to fight, which the end results of that cracks me up quite a bit. This film definitely felt like it was favoring Sadako more, with a more focus on her curse, while the Grudge curse took the backseat a little and Kayako didn't really make much of an appearance till near the end.

Reminds me, I been interested in seeing least the original Ringu sometime regarding the Japanese movies, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere digitally.

13. The Mangler 2 (2002)

So I hated the first... so why did I watch the second? Glutton for punishment maybe lol. This is a cheap, really dumb sequel that really has nothing to do with the first, beyond living killing evil machine, this time the laundry machine has been replaced by a computer network. Acting is bad, camera work is bad, but the dialogue is so bad it's comedic fun... lines like "There Internet is my fiend... see you all in hell" permeate this thing and Lance Henriksen fills the Robert Englund role of guy who people recognize only he plays it more down to earth rather than hamming it up like Englund did (and frankly I found that more tolerable). This movie is bloodless as fuck which sucks, but it as a sarcastic French Canadian cook which rocks...

Don't watch this but you might have fun if you're into bad dialogue and very late 90s early 2000s references and visuals and tech.

sadromeo

October 10, 2017:

FNaYNWG.jpg

10 of 31 - A Tale of Two Sisters

A beautiful and cerebral movie about two sisters from a mental institution going home after trying to deal with a traumatic event earlier in their lives.

The way this movie is done and the way you feel when you reach the end, only few movies could pull that off. What the director was able to do here, the way he was able weave all the scenes and story elements together, the way the characters unfolded and the way the movie eventually ends... simply amazing. Although, the gore is very light and to call this a horror movie, it sort of is, as it has a couple scary moments, but it really is the way your mind has you going and finally coming to the conclusion with the movie, that actually makes you truly appreciate and enjoy how you got there. A remarkable movie and that you will not forget.

An absolute watch, no question. -9/10

14. The Mangler Reborn (2005)

Hey third times the charm right?.... Actually it kinda was. Movie is still low rent horror but this one wipe out all the excess, all the campyness of the first 1, all the ridiculousness of the 2nd one, and grounded this in a much more believable possession story. Our favorite machine from the original is back but it does its work through a poor hapless plumber, which is much creepier. This one was the lowest budgeted of all 3, which meas no supporting role for a horror icon, but the movie is better for it.

I almost recommend this one.

Ridley327

If memory serves me correctly, there's a couple minutes worth prior to the found footage portion of the film beginning. It came from another documentary that was made around the same time, but it's used to help set the tone of what's to follow, as Deodato re-purposes the footage to help begin the journey of our doomed quartet, and why they probably (definitely) had it coming.

Don't worry, though: the animal cruelty begins before we even arrive there!

Zombine

Banned
#7 Ju-On: Black Ghost/White Ghost

juon+black+white+poster.jpg

Originally released as two separate films for the anniversary of the first Ju-On in 2009, each film is an anthology of sorts, with aspects of the story told out of order following each individual’s descent into madness. At first glance I thought this was awful. Black Ghost & White Ghost do not have the best budget and look like youtube short films. Black Ghost, as hilariously cheesy the grandma Ghost was, eventually crept up on me and I ended up enjoying the story quite a bit. It got SUPER dark, and I find it to be worth the watch. White Ghost on the other hand I don’t remember a whole lot about. It couldn’t keep my interest and I fell asleep watching it about 35 minutes in. Your mileage may vary.

Black Ghost: 6/10

White Ghost: 4/10

#8 Tetsuo: The Iron Man

tetsuotheironman-1600x900-c-default.jpg

What the hell did I just watch?! One part Live Action Shonen Anime, one part Eraserhead. Tetsuo follows the story of a businessman who upgrades his body with metal. I really, truly don’t know what this was—but I enjoyed the experiment. It was aggressive and strange and funny and odd...there’s some deeper meaning here about Japanese work culture and Japanese men needing to build a body out of “steel” to deal with the stress of every day life. I LOVED the main song that played, and some of the strange stop motion effects. It’s a short film running at about 45 minutes, and it’s one of those infamous films that everyone needs to watch once. I personally didn’t feel it was as gross as people say—just very disorienting.

6/10

I’ve wayched a lot of strange films this year to break up my Nightmare on Elm Street marathon, and so I just don’t sit here every year and throw the same movies I enjoy on my list. The hope is that I eventually find some new films to add to my yearly watch list.

14. House of Dracula (Erle Kenton, 1945)

While this is a lot more fun than it aught to be considering the ropey plotting driven on bizarre happenstance and the mess of oddball elements at play, don’t expect it to deliver on its monster showdown premise in the slightest (or anything resembling a satisfactory ending).

But there’s a lot to like in this silly mess a movie that elevates it beyond it’s shoddier elements. There’s some wonderful expressionist imagery tied into a handful of really tense and well directed sequences (looming and menacing shadows, and a wagon ride from hell being highlights).

John Carradine makes for a pretty fantastic Dracula as well, capturing the seductive and aristocratic side of the character as being a mask for his underlying evil. Or is he simply helpless to stop himself from acting out on his worst impulses? While the movie doesn’t really fully engage this ambiguity, it raises some pretty interesting questions by kicking off the film by having the Count seeking treatment for his vampirism, only for to show him later wreaking havoc. The sequence where he attempts to seduce a young nurse is the best of the film’s way-better-than-they-should-be sequences that pepper this mess, and is really compellingly edited and performed. If only Carradine was in more of the movie.

In context of the story, it's a scene where some studio executives are reviewing a bold documentary filmmaker's past work. I'd say that part runs about 30 seconds to a minute tops. If you're watching out for it then it should be easy to avoid.

A part of me wishes I could have stomached the more obscene moments like the animal deaths. It has this effect on the brain that all of the violence on screen is real, and I've got to admit it's pretty clever despite being fucked up to all ends.

If memory serves me correctly, there's a couple minutes worth prior to the found footage portion of the film beginning. It came from another documentary that was made around the same time, but it's used to help set the tone of what's to follow, as Deodato re-purposes the footage to help begin the journey of our doomed quartet, and why they probably (definitely) had it coming.

Don't worry, though: the animal cruelty begins before we even arrive there!

Okay, thanks for the info. I don't know why I'm putting so much energy into debating on if I should watch a movie that clearly has content I'll find distasteful, but I seem to get stuck in this loop every year so I think I may finally have to pull the bandage off.

Guys, I'm... I'm not sure I can get through 31.
This might be my first quit. This is borderline unwatchable.

It's Rob Zombie. I don't think anyone would blame you. Hell, I looked into adding it to my list and just couldn't bring myself to do it.

EDIT: Oops, I see that you powered through it anyway. You poor soul.

Waveset

Phase IV

Rather enjoyed this, reminded me a lot of The Andromeda Strain with really minimal scenes of analogue machines and ants accompanied by lovely minimal synths and concrete sounds.

Let the Right One In (Swedish)

Loved its sincerity and its lack of gore and shock made it all the more effective and tragic. The kids gave brilliant performances.

They're both on Netflix UK.

Ithil

21) The Brides of Dracula (1960)

brides-of-dracula.jpg

Transylvania, land of dark forests, dread mountains and black, unfathomed lakes.

A Dracula film without Dracula, a novel approach. This sequel to Horror of Dracula is sort of a side story, with Van Helsing more or less on clean up duty after defeating Dracula, as he goes to Transylvania to take out any remaining vampires.

The film rests solely on the shoulders of Peter Cushing as the only heavy hitter present; Christopher Lee's absence is sorely missed. Van Helsing is a lot more energetic this time around, and the film features a lot more action than seen in the previous Dracula films. There's quite a lot of riveting vampire hunting antics (Van Helsing's ability to make a crucifix out of anything gets pushed to the max in the climax), and the film develops the concept of vampirism and its effects further.
However, the film really lacks for a strong villain to stand opposite Van Helsing ,as the young vampire baron creating the titular brides doesn't have the presence or menace of Lee's Dracula. Said brides are entertaining, but don't have much screentime. The scenery and sets are elegant and moody as I've come to expect, though I am starting to be amused by Hammer's love of random green and red lights in places. There must be a hell of a rave going on in some of these crypts.

Overall it was a fun time but nothing really standout or particularly memorable.

SeanC

Ouija: Origin of Evil

Not doing the Marathon this year but wanted to chime in after this thread's recommendation to see Ouija: Origin of Evil.

Let's start by saying that, as promised, the atmosphere and style of the movie is fantastic. I've really noticed more interest in producers and directors doing horror like this by taking it back to a different time period. It's a good logical reason: you don't have to write around cell phones or internet searches and it helps create mystery and suspense because the characters are more limited with what they can learn and do. Plus you can reel back on trying to be "clever" with a style that's "hip" and "cool" or "rad" or any other descriptive words that the kids use today.

Mike Flanagan's "Hush" had a similar approach - give your lead limitations, take away powers, and suspsense comes naturally when you throw in the conflict. Unlike "Hush" though, Origin of Evil doesn't quite get to play around with it and succumbs more to plot points and revelations to a larger mystery that an in-the-moment series of supsense and scares. The problem is I didn't care much about the larger mystery because there's no context to it other than "this is why this place is haunted" that never really gets to a good finale or reveal and the scares and moments of fright come less and less.

But where the strength lies is that Ouija: Origin of Evil has atmosphere. In spades. It reminds me a little of "The Orphanage" as a whole: not really "scary" but damn is it thick with suspenseful atmosphere - a shadow or a dark corner can do a lot more than when a big bad monster or ghost is revealed (
I feel Origin of Evil does that a bit to early actually
). It captures a mood within a house where even in daylight it feels like night, and it manages to smartly edit around the lack of "scares" but jumping to a striking image (
usually of a little girl, her eyes white, her mouth open
) that exudes creepiness and rampts up the tension.

What I really loved, though, were the characters. They aren't overly deep, but the actors are incredibly good. Want a good horror movie that people will remember? Write good characters, first and foremost. Give them a personality, give them a believability, give them a something that allows us to give a shit when things start going down. At its heart, Ouija: Origin of Evil is about dealing with grief, and all the characters deal with in their own way. Some worse than others, for sure. It that which carried the movie for me. I was invested, even if not really scared all the time, and tense less on the situation at hand and more about the characters' strife.

Final Rating: 3.5 out of 5

And yes, it's way better than the first movie.

a few days behind due to life circumstances. I was doing new movies only, but I might do a top ten horror films for the last ten days of October.

The_woman_film_poster.jpg

#13 - The Woman (FTV)

Oh my lord. Lucky viewing number 13 called for some Lucky McGee, and boy does this film ever deliver. I've enjoyed his films ever since May. A man captures a woman living in the wild, locks her up in his basement, and convinces his family to rehabilitate her into society. This is of course an excuse to display his desire to control women. The real horror on display here was the father's behavior, how his actions ultimately influence his teenage son, and how powerless he makes the women in his family feel. It was a hard watch even with a somewhat satisfying and powerful ending.

Since this has drawn comparisons to Deadgirl and The Girl Next Door, and I've seen both films, this is the better film to me because it doesn't focus on the torture and rape like those films have, and is the more psychologically engaging film. I slightly hesitate to call this my favorite first time viewing of the challenge so far because this is not a fun horror film like Chopping Mall was. This is brutal, nasty behavior on display, and in today's climate of certain men who still treat women as objects or playthings, it can bring many emotions to light. But I can't deny that it was a great film that I probably won't want to see ever again. Highly recommended if you can handle the themes and content.

8 feral women who will fuck you up if you bother them out of 10.

MattyH

#11 Kill List possibly one of the best british films in years not strictly horror not strictly thriller just raw and intense

October 11
Film #14
The Collection

This is the sequel to The Collector, a film I watched and enjoyed in the run up to this year's marathon. While the first film features a slasher / home invasion / burglary-gone-wrong scenario - playing out like a fucked up Home Alone meets Saw mashup (in my head, the bad guy beneath the mask was actually a grown up Kevin McAllister suffering from severe PTSD following his childhood run-ins with The Wet/Sticky Bandits) - this magnificently blood-soaked follow-up is a bigger, bolder, more ambitious affair , and it's absolutely nutso.

To enjoy the movie – which I really, really did, – you have to suspend your disbelief even more than is normal for a horror movie, and you have to do it right from the word go, otherwise you'll spot just how ludicrous it all is. For example, the notion that one person, hell, even a whole team of (obviously athletically gifted, extremely wealthy, engineering-major) psychos could set up the slaughter that's visited on a nightclub full of smily young people in the opening five minutes is plainly ridiculous. But who cares, when amongst other gory delights,
you get to see what looks like a combine harvester blade scything its way across an entire dancefloor at head height?

The madness of the intro sets the tone for the glorious mayhem to come. Taking place mainly in The Collector's lair - the long abandoned Argento (get it?) Hotel - the film again revels in Saw-style traps delivered Home Alone fashion, as it tells the story of a rescue mission undertaken by a group of private security guards. Reluctantly assisted by one of The Collector's most long-suffering victims, this likeable, over-confident crew are soon given a wake-up call by
an attack from a bunch of demented, raging zombie-junkie things the Collector uses as guard-dogs in his basement.
And after that, things start getting really weird.

Well acted, with a script by turns ingenious and daft, The Collection is also gorgeous to look at, with a vivid, over-saturated colour palette and some fantastic lighting; it's definitely the prettiest film I've watched so far this month, as well as the bloodiest. The effects work throughout is also really good.

Verdict: This sequel is gory, beautiful nonsense that I would very happily watch again, just as I would the first movie.

Films I've watched so far

Ridley327

It kinda sucks to not want to write a review, even for a film that you like, but that's just the kind of mood that I'm in right now. I guess the TL;DR version for The Day of the Beast is that it's a lot of blasphemous fun, but I honestly can't muster up anything in me right now to write about it at greater length.

gamz

The_woman_film_poster.jpg

#13 - The Woman (FTV)

Oh my lord. Lucky viewing number 13 called for some Lucky McGee, and boy does this film ever deliver. I've enjoyed his films ever since May. A man captures a woman living in the wild, locks her up in his basement, and convinces his family to rehabilitate her into society. This is of course an excuse to display his desire to control women. The real horror on display here was the father's behavior, how his actions ultimately influence his teenage son, and how powerless he makes the women in his family feel. It was a hard watch even with a somewhat satisfying and powerful ending.

Since this has drawn comparisons to Deadgirl and The Girl Next Door, and I've seen both films, this is the better film to me because it doesn't focus on the torture and rape like those films have, and is the more psychologically engaging film. I slightly hesitate to call this my favorite first time viewing of the challenge so far because this is not a fun horror film like Chopping Mall was. This is brutal, nasty behavior on display, and in today's climate of certain men who still treat women as objects or playthings, it can bring many emotions to light. But I can't deny that it was a great film that I probably won't want to see ever again. Highly recommended if you can handle the themes and content.

8 feral women who will fuck you up if you bother them out of 10.

Yup. I agree.

It kinda sucks to not want to write a review, even for a film that you like, but that's just the kind of mood that I'm in right now. I guess the TL;DR version for The Day of the Beast is that it's a lot of blasphemous fun, but I honestly can't muster up anything in me right now to write about it at greater length.

We all have those days. I just finished off Universal's The Wolf Man and I can't think of anything other than "It's fine."

Toa TAK

Banned
We all have those days. I just finished off Universal's The Wolf Man and I can't think of anything other than "It's fine."

I really enjoyed that one. Even with the silly twist.

Day 11, so I've finally got to a Tim Burton classic (I think)

11. Sleepy Hollow

I really enjoyed it and it fits the spirit of the Halloween mood perfectly. This story and Burton's sensibilities are a great combination. Considering his modern output, I was really surprised by the constraint of the music. It had a fairly simple mystery behind it and his take on the Headless Horseman is fun, especially with Walken as the monster itself. The atmosphere is realized beautifully in his construction of Sleepy Hollow. I don't know what the hell happened to him between this and something like Miss Peregrine's but it's a nice reminder that his name didn't always bring a sigh of indifference. All in all, despite the shallow plot and characters, Sleepy Hollow is good Halloween fun.

Toa TAK

Banned
There was a twist? I mean the 1941 one, did I completely miss something?

Oh hell, I thought you meant the newer one with Del Toro and Hopkins for whatever reason.

I'm pretty excited to revisit the old Universal Monster movies, though. Wolfman especially since I haven't seen that since Elementary school.

Oh hell, I thought you meant the newer one with Del Toro and Hopkins for whatever reason.

I'm pretty excited to revisit the old Universal Monster movies, though. Wolfman especially since I haven't seen that since Elementary school.

Oh, okay good. I was pretty tired when I watched it and I thought maybe I fell asleep and missed something. I've never seen the Del Toro one.

OP

---

2EEQHPk.png

I actually think this and the original film are my biggest surprises of this Halloween season watch fest so far. The general humor that I enjoyed from the first is missing/different here but this more than makes up for it with a huge sense of surrealism which comes out of nowhere.

I honestly might grab the original and this on blu-ray. (It's too bad III comes with II though.)

pSa6lFA.png

So removing the defining good bits from the first two films (the humor and surrealism, respectively) doesn't leave with the most compelling viewing experience. Who would've thought?

This was the embodiment of what I thought the Slumber Party Massacre films were going to be before I randomly watched the first on youtube. I'm glad that the first 2 were pleasant surprises but I'll probably never bother with this one again.

QwEQVAc.png

Very front loaded. I feel like if this was a short film that ended after
the first major vampire attack
this could be an all time fave for me. As it is the film is still okay/watchable but it never reaches the same highs the first third does.

pNMzvzZ.png

I used to see this DVD all the time at the old rental store where I lived but never watched it. For some reason I was feeling curious and decided to get to it now/in 2017.

This is such an Okay. film, perhaps to a fault. Everything is at least okay but there isn't a lot of character or defining stuff to it? I feel like this is a dumb complaint to have but I was so indifferent/bored. At least it wasn't flat out trash at least. :)

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh, okay good. I was pretty tired when I watched it and I thought maybe I fell asleep and missed something. I've never seen the Del Toro one.

It's a solid remake of the original. I'd love to see another stab at it today with how far CG has come with transformations (though nothing will top American Werewolf in London's). So long as we don't go modern day.

4 | Sinister | New!
tl3X1z3.jpg

Very solid horror film although light on the actual scares. The super 8 snuff films were all very creepy and well done. Did not know which way the ending was going to go till it went down so I enjoyed that. I felt that it was better when we would just get small glimpses of the monster then when we actually saw him.

5 | Train to Busan | New!
f1GYFsN.jpg

Such a great zombie flick with a neat setting. The zombies reminded me a bit of 28 days later ones but a bit dumb down and a slightly bit slower. Great ending which tugged at the heart a bit. Can't wait to catch the animated prequel.

6 | Drag Me to Hell | New!
wYOhhv6.jpg

Wasn't really sure what to expect when going into it. Thought it was a straight up horror film so was a bit thrown off when some cheesy stuff started going down like the blood erupting from her nose at the bank.Enjoyed it overall although at times it seemed more Scary Movie-esque then actual horror.
Great ending though with her fucking up the envelope part.

Also how many people here use Shudder? Seems like the actual streaming part leaves alot to be desired. Constant dropping of my connection and buffering make me iffy about resubbing for longer. Phone app on Galaxy S7 also seems really slugglish and rough.

10. Chopping Mall

I needed this after the double dose of cannibalism. It's cheesy 80's fun and features scream queens Kelly Maroney and Barbara Crampton. I mean, it's a movie about a group of teens (young adults?) getting trapped in a mall with a bunch of killer robots after them, and that's all it needs to be. For me, it works as a good palate cleanser to get ready for the next group of flicks.

Verdict: 7/10

11. Sisters

De Palma time! Halfway through Sisters I had thought I could have possible stumbled onto something special. Unfortunately, the majority of its best ideas were used in the first half and the second half falters as a result. The first half though features some incredibly stylish scenes, characters that are worth being invested in, and one of De Palma's signature split-screen sequences that is as dramatic and tense as any of his others. From what I understand, Sisters is the first time he tapped into the type of thrillers he would later be known for like Dressed to Kill and Body Double. Also, you get a charming performance from Margot Kidder even though her french accent might not be as convincing as she wanted it to be. Despite the glaring issues that pop up in the later half, I still recommend the flick, especially for fans of De Palma's other works.

Verdict: 6.5/10

So I'm way way waaaay behind but here's a few more movies to add to the overall list:

Day 6: Child's Play 2

Chucky's back in one of the most implausible ways imaginable. The Good Guy Corp wants to move forward from the first Chucky incident by re-assembling the original Chucky doll from the first movie. Things go bad almost immediately for obvious reasons.

The best of the classic "Child's Play" movies, Child's Play 2 drops the weird racism and serial killer mysteries of "Child's Play" and replaces it with weird, wild, early 90s murder glee. More jump scares! More gore! Pissed of Andy An ending in a Chucky doll factory that essentially evolves into a Double Dare challenge! It's got it all! And Chucky dies not one, not two, but three times! It's a legitimate camp classic. Check it out if you're a fan and you haven't yet.

Day 7: Chopping Mall

Speaking of camp classics, this bad boy, directed by a Roger Corman acolyte, is uh, well something. Robot security is implemented at a mall because, well because. Sales dudes at a furniture store inside the mall hold the world's smallest party for themselves and their girlfriends and one other random couple, only to get locked in with the robots that have gone haywire. What follows is your typical "Nerd meets Girl"/"Final Girl" tropes and Barbara Crampton's boobs.

It's solid. Not terrible, not great, but it's fun. The gore is fun, the kills aren't the worst. All in all, no need to go out and rush to see it, but if you're looking for a film to knock out a few beers to, this one isn't a bad choice.

Day 8: Cult of Chucky

So I saw this one early in September and re-watched it again with the wife on Netflix. It's a weird one. Like "Child's Play 2", the plot of Cult of Chucky goes out of its way with silly nonsense. Chucky has new powers, motivations don't make a whole ton of sense, and the film ends on one big ole' "Huh" moment. Negatives out of the way, I still really enjoyed it. It's no "Curse of Chucky" (the best entry in the series), but it's not trying to be. It's trying to be a merging of the more pure horror of "Curse" with the campiness of earlier titles. Not only does the camp excuse the nonsense of the plot, it actually helps accentuate the camp. Meanwhile the kills are gorier than they've ever been, the jump scares are mostly effective, if dumb, and Chucky confronting himself is probably the funniest Chucky's ever been. It's far from perfect, but it moves from scene to scene with ease, having plenty of fun along the way. Plus its on Netflix so why not, right?

16) Misery (1990)

More thriller than horror, Misery earns its place in horror movie history with Kathy Bates' excellent performed and terrifying Annie Wilkes. Annie doesn't need an iconic mask or creepy locale or murdering gimmick to be scary (although a sledgehammer does certainly help), but only a disarmingly cheery smile, an isolated home, and an unsettling level of fanaticism. Much like the recent Gerald's Game enhances its horror through the isolation and desperation of its scenario, the dawning realization Caan's Sheldon has of his situation is as tense and eerie as any slasher movie stalking or home haunting. Misery's horror comes from its "what would you do" sense of realism, that something like this really could happen, and how Wilkes hides unhinged menace behind homely hospitality

lordxar

I'm a bit ahead on my list and waiting on the girlfriend for watching more Saw and waiting on Netflix to send more discs plus Destiny needed raided last night so I haven't really watched much more of my GAF list. I have been plugging away on my Letterboxd Hooptober list so with a firm lack of anything else I thought I'd drop some thoughts about what I have been watching from there.

Vampires This was a bit different. James Woods is a way too dramatic vampire killer hired by the Church. Can't say I'd watch it again but it was worth a watch once I guess.

Spiral Or Uzumaki. This was recommended to me at some point. Maybe last years marathon but anyway its kind of cool in a lot of ways but then dumb in others. I like what it was going for but the end result could have been a lot better.

Cult of Chucky I watched this right after blowing through a bunch of the Saw franchise which was gory as hell and I wanted something a bit lighter. Which this was comical but a bit bloody for what I wanted. Then it kind of just ends so overall was fun but a bit disappointing.

Two Evil Eyes I liked the Romero part but it ended too soon. Could have stood to watch a whole movie based on his part and honestly as crazy as it was going I thought it was the Argento part. Which when his did come along it was some boring thing about a cat.

Survival of the Dead This was a fun zombie film and not as bad as Diary of the Dead so that's a plus. The cgi was terrible though and I didn't really care for the story too much.

Hoping to get back to serial killers pretty quickly but that may be over the weekend if Destiny keeps calling...

With as many quality reviews that you produce I think you deserve a day off.

gabbo

#10 The Unborn
Does being a twin make a movie scarier? Im not a twin, so I don't know, but the plot of this film probably should have played up the Nazi experiments angle more, as I didn't find it particularly scary or interesting. Mostly, memorable for Odette Yustman in her underwear. Girlfriend enjoy more than I did.

#11 Evil Dead
Classic, with actual tension and little plot. Surprised at how well it actually hold up (silly effects from time to time aside). Always worth revisiting. Hailing to the king. Girlfriend enjoyed, even got a few god scares in (Cheryl through the floorboards), cannot wait to have her see Ash lose his mind in number 2

#12 Hocus Pocus
Girlfriend wanted it on the list, even though it's clearly not a horror film I obliged. Humorous, completely early 90s Disney movie. Not the worst film I'll sit through by far. Bette Midler doesn't sing as much as Id have expected and Sarah Jessica Parker is actually kinda hot. Strange times the early 90s...

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well thank the lord I'm finally past Friday the 13th! I watched 9 trashy slasher flicks in 10 days (little evil was my other one) and I'm about ready for some quality. Decided to go Halloween II!

I didn't know this took place the same night or got Curtis back so that was 2 pleasant surprises right off the bat. It really feels like a 2 part film now. The hospital setting was creepy AF and I feel like it's a really underrated movie as most people discredit the sequels to all these big franchises. Kind of a ridiculous ending and I feel like they breeze over that kid getting run down (why was the cop going 75 in a residential neighborhood anyway?) but it was a fun time and after all those F13th movies it felt like Shakespeare.

GhaleonEB

Also how many people here use Shudder? Seems like the actual streaming part leaves alot to be desired. Constant dropping of my connection and buffering make me iffy about resubbing for longer. Phone app on Galaxy S7 also seems really slugglish and rough.

I signed up for the free trial with Amazon Prime yesterday, to knock out a few films from their library. I plan to cancel the subscription before the first payment goes through, though their film selection looks interesting; just don't want another paid subscription. The streaming quality on desktop last night was fine, no stuttering.

Fox Mulder

#4. Train to Busan (2016)

Amazing. Does great things with the zombies and is pretty tense. Adding it to my collection for future viewings.

I signed up for the free trial with Amazon Prime yesterday, to knock out a few films from their library. I plan to cancel the subscription before the first payment goes through, though their film selection looks interesting; just don't want another paid subscription. The streaming quality on desktop last night was fine, no stuttering.

Good call on the Amazon Prime. I actually canceled my sub on their site and redid it through Amazon Prime and it seems to be working way better. Great selection and plenty that I want to watch but the desktop site for Shudder kept stopping my movie randomly and I would have to refresh to continue it.

7 | I Saw the Devil | New? Maybe?
HFSRphp.jpg

Not quite sure if I watched this before or not but it felt vaguely familiar. Anyways awesome movie all around. More thriller then horror although some of the killings are brutal. The cat and mouse aspect of it is great.
Way too many mistakes on Kim's part especially with getting that other agent involved that let Kyung find out about the capsule.

Top Bottom