• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of 2 Pics Per Post AND READ THE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
demolitio said:
Yea, that's what I hear a lot. I have a decent quad-core at 2.8GHz though so I didn't expect it to make the game unplayable for me.
It chugs really bad for me too. I have a 3.2 quad and it's also OCed. One of the only games I have that I have to scale back to make it run.

Lime

Silent Hill 2 @ 1920x1080 + 8xMSAA
Noise filter off, lens flare on, advanced post-processing filters on

sh2pc2011-04-2319-01-0mqw9.png

sh2pc2011-04-2319-33-0esxz.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I took some 1680x1050 screenshots with max settings and 4-8x AA (I switched in later levels after seeing it doesn't affect performance all that much), but I could only bother uploading two in full size so here they are. The rest are in a severely downsized imageshack album.
cc3f47ce8fa4a09f6213d4326b5a7aacf3f6da71.png

58f196e7354dfa80d5b1714c1b7a2f5817c64cf7.png

If anyone wants to see a particular screenshot from the imageshack album in full size I can do that, but I doubt anyone will, there's nothing special about these and I kept forgetting to take screenshots of the more interesting moments, it was a pretty intense experience.

Anyway, this was a great game (which has a fairly shitty ending, sadly enough), I regret not playing through it sooner. For some reason I felt like playing it after finishing the 2 Portal games and I'm glad I did.

legacyzero

Banned
Silent Hill 2 wins the thread.

That game still looks perfect, even by todays standards.

randomwab said:
Lime, you gotta post how you got Silent Hill 2 looking like that. Details! I crave this!

No kidding. I bet it's a pain in the ass to do it too. Is there any texture mods out for SH2? probably a noob question, but would be great if there were..

Roarer

Holy mother of... those Silent Hill 2 shots are gorgeous. Echoing what's already been said, but how did you get it to look that good?

Also, is SH2 available from any Digital Distribution outlet? Would love to replay it but find it hard to go back to my old PS2 copy because of the terrible IQ...

legacyzero

Banned
I can get Silent Hill 3 to look fantastic. Only problem is, when I try to capture the images via FRAPS, it fucks up the screen and makes is standard instead of widescreen..

Pretty sure I'm getting a stretched image anyway without any resolution mod.

81a67aa703a5dd4e37bedd9e6d0a84bcc9834aae.jpg

Lime

randomwab said:
Lime, you gotta post how you got Silent Hill 2 looking like that. Details! I crave this!

1. Install Silent Hill 2 and patch it with the soundfix.
  2. Download Squizzy's Respatcher and a fixed .exe of sh2pc.exe (unfortunately the patcher does not work with the original .exe)
  3. Run the patcher and select the desired resolution
  4. Before running Silent Hill 2, make sure that your Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control panel has all anti-aliasing and antisioptric filtering set to OFF
  5. Run Silent Hill 2
  6. Under options select the desired options you want on: e.g. hi-res textures, advanced post processing filters, lens flare, etc. (if the two latter options are unselectable, it is because your graphics control center has AA or AF enabled.)
  7. Accept your changes (make sure not to toy with the game's resolution setting. Doing so will override Squizzy's respatcher)
  8. Alt+tab and go into Windows' Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc)
  9. Under 'Processes' right-click sh2pc.exe and set the amount of CPU cores to only 1 core. Otherwise you will get sound and stability issues.
  10. Go into Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control Panel and force your desired AA and AF solution. And make sure to have Triple Buffering set to OFF. Otherwise you will get weird lines in the geometry of the game
  11. Return to Silent Hill 2 and select New Game
  12. ????
  13. Profit

Roarer said:
Holy mother of... those Silent Hill 2 shots are gorgeous. Echoing what's already been said, but how did you get it to look that good?

Also, is SH2 available from any Digital Distribution outlet? Would love to replay it but find it hard to go back to my old PS2 copy because of the terrible IQ...

Unfortunately the PC version of SH2 is only available as physical copies, meaning the price has gone upwards to around $80-100. I doubt Konami has the competence to distribute it digitally.

legacyzero said:
I can get Silent Hill 3 to look fantastic. Only problem is, when I try to capture the images via FRAPS, it fucks up the screen and makes is standard instead of widescreen..

Pretty sure I'm getting a stretched image anyway without any resolution mod.

http://i.picpar.com/81a67aa703a5dd4e37bedd9e6d0a84bcc9834aae.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Are you using the [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?2wftve07k4dc5de"]FOV too[/URL]l? And have you edited the .ini file so that it is running in your desired resolution (savedata->"disp.ini")? I have no problems using FRAPS for SH3 and all of my screenshots are in 1920x1080 resolution non-stretched (provided I use the FOV tool).

legacyzero

Banned
Lime said:
Are you using the FOV tool? And have you edited the .ini file so that it is running in your desired resolution (savedata->"disp.ini")? I have no problems using FRAPS for SH3 and all of my screenshots are in 1920x1080 resolution non-stretched (provided I use the FOV tool).

Ok, I fixed the .ini file (set it to 1600x900, which is probably the wrong resolution) and it fixed the screen capture problem.

Now how does the FOV tool work and what does it do? What do you recomend I set it to?

9367f025e9dd1d4b3b0bd90837825db48d403b19.jpg

Lime

QuantumBro said:
The two links go to the same file.

Whoops. Fixed the link in the post and also here:http://www.mediafire.com/?88eqq3ze48354i4

legacyzero said:
Ok, I fixed the .ini file (set it to 1600x900, which is probably the wrong resolution) and it fixed the screen capture problem.

Now how does the FOV tool work and what does it do? What do you recomend I set it to?

Your images are still stretched. What you need to do to use the FOV tool properly:

1) Run Trainer/Hack - enter Width Field of View: 0.90 / height Field of View: 1.3 (what I used for 16:9, but you may need to play around with it a little bit more) and keep it running.
2) Edit options if needed
3) Start Silent Hill 3
4) Press Numpad * to enable new FOV settings

Lime

Your screen should end up looking kind of like this (sorry about the jpeg compression, these are old screens):

sh32009-09-0400-18-29-um0a.jpg

sh32009-09-0400-19-43-e8th.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
Lime said:
Whoops. Fixed the link in the post and also here:http://www.mediafire.com/?88eqq3ze48354i4

Your images are still stretched. What you need to do to use the FOV tool properly:

1) Run Trainer/Hack - enter Width Field of View: 0.90 / height Field of View: 1.3 (what I used for 16:9, but you may need to play around with it a little bit more) and keep it running.
3) Start Silent Hill 3

OOOOOOoohhh. I wasn't pressing * to Enable LOL. wow I'm such a noob. Thanks Lime!

legacyzero

Banned
Stallion Free said:
...are you sure you did it correctly? That still looks stretched compared to Lime's shots.

Yeah, It still needs a bit of tweaking. It's not as stretched as my last ones, Now I just have to work the FOV tool to the right numbers.

Edit: Better? Sorry for all the stretched shots... Still kind of a PC noob. Thanks for teaching me GAF.

11dbe20e955bcc6fca5feabc8abbe5eae8b3135c.jpg

Lime said:

3) Start Silent Hill 3

Thank you, I can't wait to finally replay this great game again.

I'm loving those STALKER pics.

I've been out of this thread for the last week or so to avoid any Portal 2 spoilers, so I've just caught up and there's been some great stuff posted :)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Can we get some more CoP Complete nighttime shots, particularly of the sky? They look amazing.

legacyzero

Banned
No more stretching? been spending time messing with the FOV tool. looking alot better IMO

Only problem now is there is this thin black bar on the sides, where the heck did that come from and how do I fix it?
045e02211a67c1e862889963808c7efe98533315.jpg

c1257c9c84ada6ba942978d3417554e648f4d98c.jpg

TheMissingLink said:
BLOODY TOLIET

should that not be posted??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom