• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Giolon

Trin3785 said:
Gotta say Co-op doesnt sound like a good match for Bayonetta (does everything have to be co-op?) But Shaolin Monks was good so it could work.

In the credits,
fighting together with an AI Jeanne
was awesome. So much craziness. Imagine how much better it could be with another competent person - the kinds of crazy combos you could pull off.

Jintor

After playing some serious NMH Heroes Paradise I can honestly say I want Kamiya and Suda to team the fuck up already; Suda NEEDS Kamiya's control mastery so that his games can be even more awesome. Although this Mikami thing I can see working out as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
palpabl_purpura said:
Guess you aren't happy with the 360 version either then. .

Yes, I am aware that it does not run at a perfect 60fps. However, this undermines precisely nothing about my previous point. And I never said I was unhappy with either version (I've defended the PS3 version plenty in this thread), though I'd certainly be happier if the PS3 version was on par with 360.

Roto13

Jintor said:
After playing some serious NMH Heroes Paradise I can honestly say I want Kamiya and Suda to team the fuck up already; Suda NEEDS Kamiya's control mastery so that his games can be even more awesome. Although this Mikami thing I can see working out as well.
I love me some Suda51 and No More Heroes, but Kamiya doesn't have to improve in any way that Suda could help him.

Jintor

Well mainly I just want some goddamn actual non-ridiculous-ass controls in No More Heroes. That game's control methods are so... blah after Bayonetta. To be fair, everything is.

Mar

I'd flip my shit if another Bayonetta was announced, but I don't see it happening for a while. Their newest game looks very similar and I think there's more chance of Bayonetta being a hidden or unlockable character in that than anything else.

2th

Banned
Jintor said:

the only Kamiya needs to do is another Okami and not this Okamiden bullshit that was made without him.

2th

Banned
Roto13 said:
He doesn't want to any more, now that Okamiden exists.

i know and that makes me sad. Okami is probably the only game i will ever award a perfect score to. Controls were great. the innovative nature of the game was was incredible with the drawing mechanic. the art... well it is art in the truest sense of the word. and the story was amazing. i would murder for a true sequel to that game.

Finally got around to picking up Bayonetta and I'm about four hours in. The core combat is great. Great controls all around. I really don't like the music though. Comes off as very generic, and it's not really a style I like.

Speaking of style, although I don't like Bayonetta's colorful and girly style as much as say, Devil May Cry, I do like the alternate take. Bayonetta being a female, the poses, the color very different color pallet, butterflies, etc. Very unique in today's games.

Not really liking the presentation or story much however. I don't understand all this "Third Sphere" and "Second Sphere" shit. Not really interested in the universe at all. I am interested in Bayonetta's past a bit but I could care less about the war between the witches or whatever is going on.

Definitely notice some subtle Sega touches...A lot of things remind me of Sonic. A few nods to previous Capcom games made me chuckle.

I've found some strange checkpoints and a few frustrations with the save system too.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it's quite the godsend that many people make it out to be.

ToyMachine228 said:
Finally got around to picking up Bayonetta and I'm about four hours in. The core combat is great. Great controls all around. I really don't like the music though. Comes off as very generic, and it's not really a style I like.

Speaking of style, although I don't like Bayonetta's colorful and girly style as much as say, Devil May Cry, I do like the alternate take. Bayonetta being a female, the poses, the color very different color pallet, butterflies, etc. Very unique in today's games.

Not really liking the presentation or story much however. I don't understand all this "Third Sphere" and "Second Sphere" shit. Not really interested in the universe at all. I am interested in Bayonetta's past a bit but I could care less about the war between the witches or whatever is going on.

Definitely notice some subtle Sega touches...A lot of things remind me of Sonic. A few nods to previous Capcom games made me chuckle.

I've found some strange checkpoints and a few frustrations with the save system too.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it's quite the godsend that many people make it out to be.

The music is anything but generic. One of the best OSTs this gen IMO. Don't let the fight theme you hear so often skew how good the rest of it is.

And maybe you don't think it's a Godsend now, but I'd like to hear your thoughts after you start unlocking more moves, techniques, weapons, and play on a higher difficulty. This is a game that gives MORE to you the more you give to it.

Jintor

It gets so much better once you know what the fuck you're doing. This game gets incredible the more you play it. And the OST is anything but generic.

/edit watching the commentary again, still amazed by dodge offset

Also, the framerate makes me scratch my head at times. It runs so amazingly smooth most of the time and then out of the blue it chugs like a train.

HYDE

Banned
Just wanted to let people know that Bayonetta was 9.98 on clearance/sale at Toys 'R Us, and that all clearance accessories/games are 30% off. Bayonetta =$7.60 with .089% Washington sales tax. So, if you're in a cheaper tax state, you're looking at a 7 dollar game with a little change......Awesome!

I already own it, just wanted to give it to my bro-in-law to spread the Incredible.

The End

Stayed up until 5 AM on Sunday beating Bayonetta. For all of the crap given to its offbeat visual design, it's really a pretty great game, and has the best boss fights of the generation by a mile.

Really, my only complains were 1) those whack-ass filmstrip cutscenes and 2) bayonetta's... strange proportions, neither of which have anything to do with actual gameplay.

Playing it all night like I did, I know I missed a lot (I got the shotgun, katana, bazooka tonfas, and the fire claw feet things) so I'm tempted to take a whack at Hard and see how I do.

TreIII

Jintor said:
It gets so much better once you know what the fuck you're doing. This game gets incredible the more you play it. And the OST is anything but generic.

/edit watching the commentary again, still amazed by dodge offset

Indeed.

I tried going back to DMC3 after so long and...what can I say? Bayo has spoiled me. Right down to even little things, such as how shooting with the Square button is button that you can hold down in Bayo opposed to having to rapid-fire in DMC3. :lol

The End

Bayonetta is easily superior to the other eastern-styled* action games this gen (DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma/Sigma2).

*as opposed to western, God of War style like GoW3, Dante's Inferno, Heavenly Sword, Castlevania:LoS, etc.

Dreavus

ToyMachine228 said:

Well, you are fighting angels, so it might have something to do with this. The angelic enemies were one of my favourite things about the game.

Curufinwe

Anyone here buy Bayonetta as a Games on Demand title despite already owning the disc? I kind of want to do that so I can work on improving my chapter ranks whenever, without having to get up and swap discs.

The End

Curufinwe said:
Anyone here buy Bayonetta as a Games on Demand title despite already owning the disc? I kind of want to do that so I can work on improving my chapter ranks whenever, without having to get up and swap discs.

I've resigned myself to never unlocking Jeanne.

vid

I just finished this... and... I don't even know what to say. I sort of feel like no other game will ever be able to satisfy me again. Every single stage that went by, I felt like it couldn't possibly get any better.

And then came [spoilers]Space Harrier[/spoilers], and it was just a straight, balls to the wall, oh my god I hope this game never ever ends, shot all the way to the credits. All of the credits.

I don't even know what to do now. I'm completely flabbergasted, and left... completely exhausted and satisfied by this game.

vid said:
I just finished this... and... I don't even know what to say. I sort of feel like no other game will ever be able to satisfy me again. Every single stage that went by, I felt like it couldn't possibly get any better.

And then came [spoilers]Space Harrier[/spoilers], and it was just a straight, balls to the wall, oh my god I hope this game never ever ends, shot all the way to the credits. All of the credits.

I don't even know what to do now. I'm completely flabbergasted, and left... completely exhausted and satisfied by this game.

Now start unlocking everything you've missed and playing on higher difficulties which is pretty much like upgrading to Bayonetta Ver. 2.

You've only just begun.

cj_iwakura

I tried doing two of optional portals, and I only cleared one. The first one was nuts. Is there a way to use the summon attacks without building up a chain first?

Also, this game is wonderful, but the SH stage did get on my nerves when I kept dying. :p

I'm playing the PS3 version, and the framerate doesn't bother me. It gets a little jumpy during cutscenes, that's it.

So far, Cheshire's had all my favorite lines, aside from

I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town.

2Crisis

cj_iwakura said:
I tried doing two of optional portals, and I only cleared one. The first one was nuts. Is there a way to use the summon attacks without building up a chain first?

Also, this game is wonderful, but the SH stage did get on my nerves when I kept dying. :p

I'm playing the PS3 version, and the framerate doesn't bother me. It gets a little jumpy during cutscenes, that's it.

So far, Cheshire's had all my favorite lines, aside from

Are you talking about the Alfheims? Which #?

And yea, with the patch the PS3 performance was greatly improved. It really only chugs at 2 or 3 points now. One of which is the very beginning which sadly throws off a lot people.

Jintor

But seriously, I'm never going to complete the Lost Chapter.

I'm good at hard mode normally but having to do normal beforehand gets me in the wrong zone, so by the time I get to hard mode I make two or three terrible mistakes.

cj_iwakura

2Crisis said:
Are you talking about the Alfheims? Which #?

And yea, with the patch the PS3 performance was greatly improved. It really only chugs at 2 or 3 points now. One of which is the very beginning which sadly throws off a lot people.

Not sure. It required you to hurt the enemies using just the hair (demon summon) attacks.

I know on launch the PS3 version had issues compared to the 360 one.

Have these issues been rectified? I don't have a 360 and I'm thinking about picking this up for PS3.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
cj_iwakura said:
Not sure. It required you to hurt the enemies using just the hair (demon summon) attacks.

I'm not mistaken R1 + <--- ---> + main attack will do this (PS3 version). I can't remember if the motion is a quick forward and back, or side to side. But I was messing around with it yesterday, and it instantly summons the hair.

sleepykyo

opticalmace said:
I know on launch the PS3 version had issues compared to the 360 one.

Have these issues been rectified? I don't have a 360 and I'm thinking about picking this up for PS3.

Loading? Yes via an install option.
Frame rate? No.

Jintor

Grizzlyjin said:
I'm not mistaken R1 + <--- ---> + main attack will do this (PS3 version). I can't remember if the motion is a quick forward and back, or side to side. But I was messing around with it yesterday, and it instantly summons the hair.

Uses up some magic though. Your best bet is short combos like PKP or something.

cj_iwakura

Well, the framerate got pretty choppy in the final Chapter, but nothing game breaking. Just reminded me of how insane what was going down was.

Best action game ever. Just pure off the walls insanity and awesomeness.

jett

D-Member
Bought the poor man's version. Dear lord the framerate dropped to unplayable levels in the intro. PS3 port is proof that these type of games don't work on anything other than 60fps. I weep for DmC.

I've played an hour or so. I'm having fun but the performance is really bothering me, even cut-scenes aren't safe, the action set-pieces in them are barely watchable. Framerate is just too cinematic for my tastes. :p I hope I can get used to it in time.

Amory

Playing through this on easy mode, since I really just wanna experience the crazy story. Can someone explain what a "temporal witch power" is? I've reached a door I can't open.

Don

jett said:
Bought the poor man's version. Dear lord the framerate dropped to unplayable levels in the intro. PS3 port is proof that these type of games don't work on anything other than 60fps. I weep for DmC.

I've played an hour or so. I'm having fun but the performance is really bothering me, even cut-scenes aren't safe, the action set-pieces in them are barely watchable. Framerate is just too cinematic for my tastes. :p I hope I can get used to it in time.
The intro sequence and then one more area closer to the end of the game suffer the worst from the framerate issues. Both of those sections end up feeling like they are in slow motion at times.

vid

Amory Blaine said:
Playing through this on easy mode, since I really just wanna experience the crazy story. Can someone explain what a "temporal witch power" is? I've reached a door I can't open.

Witch Time. You've got to dodge out of the way of something in such a way that it activates the slow-motion effect.

jett

D-Member
Good lord I'm in Chapter X...whoever says that the framerate issues don't affect the gameplay are really wrong. Route 666 was pretty much ruined, I bet it's immeasurably better on the 360. Often I have trouble reacting to the enemies' attack too, mostly because of the slow framerate. Still fun, but it feels wrong to experience the game like this. :p

Top Bottom