• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Those things tend to not be real off the bat: way too easy to tell who that is in the room, and thus, risk prosecution over breaking NDAs. Not only are people typically searched before entering those meetings, that's a small room and it's way too easy to retroactively know who from the invite list is sitting in that seat. Uploading shakey cell phone footage to the internet will never be worth this person's job, who would have to have some significant position to be in that meeting in the first place, given the context. That isn't someone snapping a quick photo during a press event.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I know this is a troll, but I spent 2 minutes in MS Paint to respond anyway.

Which one of these look right to you?
rcis15.jpg

The one on the left is roughly matched up with a miniDVD and the one on the right is roughly matched up with a regular DVD.

Because they both look fake to me.

I don't really get your point here. The one on the right is about the same size as the ps3. What's so hard to believe about that for a supposed dev kit (not saying it's real).

LizardKing said:
I don't really get your point here. The one on the right is about the same size as the ps3. What's so hard to believe about that for a supposed dev kit (not saying it's real).

The way it's built and textured, it does not look that big. It looks smaller than a PS3 in the photos.

Lupin the Wolf said:
The way it's built and textured, it does not look that big. It looks smaller than a PS3 in the photos.

Would a dev kit even look that refined? Especially at this stage of the game (a year away from release), wouldn't it look a little more rough around the edges?

People need to remember that even if Cafe's CPU is clocked the same or only slightly faster than Xenon's 3.2 GHz, that tells us next to nothing about the CPU's true performance. It's all about how many operations can be done per cycle, the architecture overall, etc.

dwu8991

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:

Of course it's smaller than a PS3, if anything its probably just slightly smaller than the wii.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dwu8991 said:
Of course it's smaller than a PS3, if anything its probably just slightly smaller than the wii.
Holy shit, the camel toe uses micro-discs then!

Grampa Simpson said:
It already has. We need a new rumor so that we can reboot into a new thread. I'm having rumor withdrawl real bad now.

That's what I wanted to say, but decided to pose it as a question. I guess it's up to Nirolak to keep this thread going or just have us go back to the "main" thread.

LizardKing said:

Previous early gen dev kits from Nintendo.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/wii/wii-devkit-compared-to-the-dolphin-gamecube-devkit.html

Gamecube
DolphinDevKit10_1_b_qjpreviewth.jpeg

Wii
devkit1_qjpreviewth.jpg

I understand you are not saying it is real, but considering the rumored size of the final console there's no reason to believe the dev kit will be that small along with looking at previous dev kits.

watershed

Banned
Can people stop posting the same stupid fake video? How bout just checking the last page of the thread to see if its already been posted? Its fake and old by now. If there were credible it would be in the OP or have its own thread.

Edit: also have people seen what dev kits look like? They are either a bunch of parts crammed into a pc shell or literally just a bunch of parts. Take a look at the 3ds dev kit, its hideous. Point being dev kits do not resemble actual consoles.

Assuming Cafe uses a narrow system bus, of 128-bit or smaller, that it's got a fuckton of super high-bandwidth embedded memory to take the strain off the main bus.

From The Dust said:
dev kits definitely aren't built for aesthetics :lol

Yeah and as durable as Nintendo consoles are, those dev kits look like they could be thrown in front of a semi on the highway and would still work after the hit.

1-D_FTW

LizardKing said:

Ignoring all the blatantly obvious reasons that have already been pointed out, this ain't the Wii. If this has the rumored specs, it's going to need ventilation or things inside are going to melt quicker than a Popsicle in summer. The ventilation is HORRIBLE. Makes me think a 10 year mocked it up because anyone older than that should know better.

artwalknoon said:
Edit: also have people seen what dev kits look like? They are either a bunch of parts crammed into a pc shell or literally just a bunch of parts. Take a look at the 3ds dev kit, its hideous. Point being dev kits do not resemble actual consoles.

Hey I happen to like the toaster look.
eaNZk.jpg

Console devkits often resemble the actual console to some degree, although I guess they don't tend to release the final lookalike version until the design has been officially revealed.

The idea that those various 'leaks' are the real thing are of course ridiculous. And I do wonder where IGN gets its info from and how reliable it is, there can't be many outside of Nintendo who know what the final retail box will look like.

Man, I just hope the Cafe is not too large. The PS3 and 360 are pretty large and the heating issues(My old 360 had the RROD when it got really hot) were really bad for those two.

The one thing I've always loved about the Nintendo consoles is how quiet and cool they are relative to their competitor's offerings. This new direction seems indicative of a large size and I've come to associate that particular design choice with overheating and loudness...

donny2112

herzogzwei1989 said:
Nintendo always builds reliable consoles, I'm not worried about Cafe.

Wii was based on the well-researched, first Nintendo disc-system in GameCube. This is a much bigger leap for Nintendo in the disc-realm. Granted, their R&D for sturdiness is great, but if they're going to make a misstep, Cafe definitely gives them lots of opportunity to do so. That they missed the 3DS lower screen scratching top-screen thing isn't encouraging.

However, Nintendo's customer service is second to none, so if there is a problem with early models, Nintendo will be very good about fixing it. :)

donny2112 said:
Wii was based on the well-researched, first Nintendo disc-system in GameCube. This is a much bigger leap for Nintendo in the disc-realm. Granted, their R&D for sturdiness is great, but if they're going to make a misstep, Cafe definitely gives them lots of opportunity to do so. That they missed the 3DS lower screen scratching top-screen thing isn't encouraging.

However, Nintendo's customer service is second to none, so if there is a problem with early models, Nintendo will be very good about fixing it. :)

No doubt, I'm really not worried about that aspect of Cafe.

Hiltz

I'd rather have a larger home console with less cords to deal with. The thin cords from the IR pointer and Wii Speak have always bothered me.

bgassassin said:
Yeah and as durable as Nintendo consoles are, those dev kits look like they could be thrown in front of a semi on the highway and would still work after the hit.

The semi, on the other hand...

herzogzwei1989 said:
I wish someone from AMD would spill the beans on the GPU. Probably won't happen though.

Nintendo has them by the balls. they wouldn't dare do anything to enrage them. though there was that Pica leak

Well, DMP isn't nearly as large of a company as AMD, and they were probably super excited to be supplying a major part for the next DS and just had to tell their investors.

ReyVGM

donny2112 said:

You are aware that it's not Nintendo that builds the disc drives or touch screens, right?

From The Dust said:
Nintendo has [AMD] by the balls. they wouldn't dare do anything to enrage them. though there was that Pica leak

Days before the announcement of the original Xbox's hardware, Jerry Sanders -- the founder and head of AMD at the time -- smugly hinted to the point of incredible obviousness that their processor line was to be used in the system. Intel execs basically heard about it and put in a last-minute counteroffer, losing AMD the contract.

AMD's not going to make a mistake like that again.

Graphics Horse said:
Console devkits often resemble the actual console to some degree, although I guess they don't tend to release the final lookalike version until the design has been officially revealed.

I can see that as well. That's why I made sure to add "early gen" to my post since I also saw final Wii dev kit pics that had the green front.

AceBandage said:
The semi, on the other hand...

I keep getting an image of the kit going through the truck's grill.

Azure J

GameplayWhore said:
Days before the announcement of the original Xbox's hardware, Jerry Sanders -- the founder and head of AMD at the time -- smugly hinted to the point of incredible obviousness that their processor line was to be used in the system. Intel execs basically heard about it and put in a last-minute counteroffer, losing AMD the contract.

Cold. Blooded. :lol

GameplayWhore said:

I remember hearing about how Intel swooped the CPU deal away from AMD. Originally, the Xbox was supposed to use an AMD Athlon 600 MHz processor. Sneaky Intel.

watershed

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
I hope you're right.
I hope the opposite, if we got an official leak of the specs that'd be more to talk about prior to E3. And it'd let us know if the price is reasonable, at least it will complete part of the picture, and just give us an idea of how next-gen the system really is.

artwalknoon said:
I hope the opposite, if we got an official leak of the specs that'd be more to talk about prior to E3. And it'd let us know if the price is reasonable, at least it will complete part of the picture, and just give us an idea of how next-gen the system really is.

that prolly won't happen. if it did, it would be just as reliable as the IGN leaks

donny2112

ReyVGM said:
You are aware that it's not Nintendo that builds the disc drives or touch screens, right?

Nintendo doesn't do manufacturing of their systems. However, they do provide the specifications and how to build the systems based on their own R&D. Therefore, it still falls on them to prevent design flaws in the system.

Edit:
And no way do we find out the price of the new system before Christmas. If it's not launching until Fall 2012, it'll probably be an E3 2012 announcement. Otherwise, probably early January or at financial results time in April.

ReyVGM said:
They design the systems and the tolerances. I'd forgive them the disc drives - mechanical parts wear and fail, but oopsing the tolerances in a way that will allow scratched screens is a bad oversight.

EDIT: Beaten by mere moments.

I think it would be pretty cool if they took the "always on" connection and did some tweaks with it. For instance, if I had an active lobby of SF going and sent an invite out to someone who's system wasn't on, the notification light on their console would only blink as long as the room was active. Once I closed the room, the invite would be voided(but still in their inbox marked as such) and their light would stop blinking.

ReBurn

Gold Member
herzogzwei1989 said:
Man I miss the days when sites like EETimes would give us a report on what CPU/GPU an upcoming console uses.
Wow, I remember before that issue 12 of Next Generation magazine. It was laying out all of the specs for the 32-bit systems. Saturn, PlayStation, Ultra64, Jaguar. Man, I held onto that for years! I hope we get something like that when the new systems launch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveynin/520849506/in/set-72157600284339915

Top Bottom