• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution E3 Screenshots And Previews

The Mana Legend said:
An HD collection would be a great idea considering how far this series has fallen off of the radar.

I already own them all on PC, but I would seriously double dip on this for 360 (since I doubt they'd port Blood Money to PS3). At least if they did this, IO would get some money out of me, since there is no way in hell I am buying Absolution.

This allows you to play with your morals – you can kill the rookie without a second thought, or isolate his sergeant and kill him instead, giving the new guy a bit of a break. We really wanted to include a lot of this kind of stuff.

Sigh. I remember a time in Hitman when you didn't have to kill anyone and could, instead sedate or knock them out.

Speedymanic said:
Sigh. I remember a time in Hitman when you didn't have to kill anyone and could, instead sedate or knock them out.
Where does it say you can't?

Secondly, it's apparently an optional situation. The sentence right before the one you quoted:
If you take a different path through the library, you can see his story unfold from a different perspective.

I commented the blog already with my negative thoughts, but GAF's take on the apparent changes to Hitman are nothing short of hyperbolic. I'm defending IO yet disagreeing with them at the same time. Awesome. What has GAF done to me?

I suppose the option to sedate NPC's might still be in, it's more the language used by the developers. I haven't seen a single mention of them saying you can sedate NPCs, it's almost always kill or silent kills.

Ezduo

Banned
Speedymanic said:
If the Library is just the opening mission it could be like Blood Money which if I'm not mistaken required you to kill a few people just to get used to the weapons. Actually, I'm not sure if it required you to kill them or not but there were definitely two or three areas where the game asked you to kill them with a sniper rifle or whatever.

Philll

Banned
Oh dear

hitmanendmission.jpg

hitmanforduty.jpg

Philll

Banned
The developer, nick_at_io, said they're 'marvellous'. I considered stopping till I found out the devs were actually seeing them.

Hopefully they're taking my subtle hints on board.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm choosing to laugh because it temporarily takes the pain away.

Also to the devs, take advice from these guys on how to "modernize" a classic game/franchise without sacrificing depth.

<----

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god that newspaper story is fucking genius (minus the typos) but i still feel that most people are overreacting about Absolution, until we get a full level walktrough we won't know if Absolution is a true Hitman title.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ahoi-Brause said:
So IO are aware of the fan backlash and just make fun of it?
What the fuck is wrong with them?

what else they have to do? they won't change the game, too far into development it seems.

derFeef

Speedymanic said:
The newspaper article is fan made, it's from the Hitman forums.
Ah okay, then I don't get his post. As always ;)

(please don't quote huge pictures over and over, my phone screams)

Falxix

Fans eager for more level details should check out the game's roster of improvised weapons, as these "are very much based on the locations". The library level we were shown, for instance, presented players with a coil of electronic cable, a marble bust and, most eccentrically of all, a bong.

This and hearing about the greater number of levels is a little reassuring, but it makes me wonder if the levels are still Blood Money sized, if levels are checkpointed into one another, or what. I don't care if there are a shitload of levels if they aren't fun to play. The bit where they were thinking about adding E3 as a level gave me a chuckle. But more generally, putting 47 into crowded, complex areas gives me some hope. Still keeping my expectations low because of Kyd, Bateson, and "more action-oriented", but I'll have to keep my eye on the game as it gets further along.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Uh... I wouldn't call them assholes for having a laugh at themselves.

Asshole-ish to shut out Bateson. But not the hilarious pics.
The pics are funny.
But laughing at the pics while you continue to ruin hitman, fire bateson and generally act like an asshole company is total asshole behaviour.
They should take the hints and not lie about how they LOVE the pics.

derFeef

Ahoi-Brause said:
The pics are funny.
But laughing at the pics while you continue to ruin hitman, fire bateson and generally act like an asshole company is total asshole behaviour.
Lie about how th... I am... what? What did you expect them to do here?
I agree that the Bateson case is kind of weird but we don't know how much influence SE has here and whats really happening behind the curtain.

Ahoi-Brause said:
The pics are funny.

How do you know they're lying about that? They might genuinely find it funny in a sea of insanity and dickishness.

And I still don't think the mechanical and gameplay changes is necessarily bad... they might work out in favour of the game. I still disagree with how they treated Bateson. But that's my only major knock against IO at the moment.

Tacitus_

derFeef said:
I agree that the Bateson case is kind of weird but we don't know how much influence SE has here and whats really happening behind the curtain.

Don't mind him, he had a meltdown during E3 about this has been incoherent ever since.

I hadn't thought about this before, but what if IO were forced to go with Hollywood talent, by Eidos or SE? Is that possible or is IO really autonomous in that regard?

Edit:

Stole this from the Hitman forums:

84128946168740111745.jpg

I lol'd

derFeef said:

SE haven't really influenced DX or the upcoming Tomb Raider, so I doubt they've had a hand in how this Hitman might turn out.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
How do you know they're lying about that? They might genuinely find it funny in a sea of insanity and dickishness.

And I still don't think the mechanical and gameplay changes is necessarily bad... they might work out in favour of the game. I still disagree with how they treated Bateson. But that's my only major knock against IO at the moment.

I think from everything we've read/heard about the new mechanics, gamplay changes, it's hard not to see how they won't make the game worse.

Seeing through walls, using instinct to blend or bluff, reading minds, checkpoints,a more action oriented approach, etc.

Tacitus_ said:
Don't mind him, he had a meltdown during E3 about this has been incoherent ever since.
Oh yeah, you 3 are probably the only ones who are hyped about the game.
Are you on IO's paylist or doing the damage control for free?

Ahoi-Brause said:

I doubt three people are the only people hyped for the next Hitman. That is hyperbolic!

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I doubt three people are the only people hyped for the next Hitman. That is hyperbolic!
The majority of people absolutely hates this game...

in related news: I've actually dreamt of hitman 5.
And in my dream it was a good game... it was so good.
I even wrote down the way it played out - because it was brilliant.

IoCaster

Ahoi-Brause said:

Dude, seriously don't do shit like this. You can disagree without resorting to totally silly accusations that have no basis in fact.

JambiBum

IoCaster said:
Dude, seriously don't do shit like this. You can disagree without resorting to totally silly accusations that have no basis in fact.
Most people can. He can't. It's like if someone doesn't hate what they have heard about Absolution so far, they are automatically on IO's payroll or some shit.

IoCaster

JambiBum said:
Most people can. He can't. It's like if someone doesn't hate what they have heard about Absolution so far, they are automatically on IO's payroll or some shit.

You know I can understand and to a certain extent agree that the details released so far don't sound very encouraging to a Hitman fan like myself. The problem is that I don't believe there is anything to be gained by getting too emotionally invested and alienating fellow forum members with baseless accusations. :|

derFeef said:
A game that is not even out and we know so little of. Sounds like a waste of nerves to hate it.
Yeah, except for every fact pointing at IO being total assholes to the fans and to the original voice actors.
Oh and 47 now sounds like a grumpy space marine!
Also no jesper kyd, but it will be good and true to the series, rite?

Because their pr-twitter said so.... rite?

IoCaster said:
Haha, so it's an accusation now?
It seems the point I was trying to make totally went over your head.

Jerykk

Banned
I think it's a bit premature to completely write the game off just yet. While I have concerns about their desire to make the game more "cinematic and personal" (a.k.a. linear and scripted), I do like some of the things I'm hearing. The AI improvements sound great, as does the social camouflage mechanic (performing actions that make you blend in). Not a big fan of the helicopter chase in the E3 demo but hopefully that's avoidable or at the very least, limited to that level.

I'm very interested in finding out if the rating system has been retained and if so, how has it changed? If the game has many unavoidable scripted confrontations like the helicopter chase, how do those affect your rating? Hopefully we'll soon get answers to more specific questions like these.

The lack of Bateson and Kyd is definitely disappointing and will hurt the game, but I don't think their absence is enough to ruin the game completely.

commedieu

Banned
I don't get how you're labeled bias if you have the ability to read, see video, and do direct comparisons to each previous title?

Folks, This game as described and executed in video is nothing related to the previous hitman story/gameplay. This is 100% fact at this point.

Why on earth do you have to wait for HAZE/LAIR/Kane&Lynch/SplinterCellConviction/DukeNukem/etc to tell that its going to blow? Stop the name calling trash. Fans of the series are seeing the direction they are going, using their own quotes, seeing their(IO) own video, and coming to this conclusion. Its not a blind accusation. Theres no "BUH BUH YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET!!" I swear if I showed you a picture of a 3 wheeled race car with a backwards spoiler, no engine, non linked wiring, no steering ability, filled with concrete and and a wooden kickstand, you'd claim "BUH BUH YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN IT YET!!"

Its ridiculous to claim that the fans of the series have to wait and play it, as if we are all new to gaming. You can always tell a turd before it shows up, well maybe I'm speaking for myself, but I know I don't have to buy every game to decide if its good or not, just like movies, real estate, vehicles, and pretty much any purchase.

I called it the second I saw the stupid ass Xray vision *OPTION* that alone showed that they are going in a severely different direction for the series, this was all then followed by them(IO) stating they are going in a different direction. I'd only suggest that people that know this garbage isn't hitman, move on. Let the people that want to play this generic stealth game play it, and pretend to have ever enjoyed a hitman title. No sense arguing, but dont pretend Hitman Fans have no clue/have to play this turd.

commedieu said:
Why on earth do you have to wait for HAZE/LAIR/Kane&Lynch/SplinterCellConviction/DukeNukem/etc to tell that its going to blow? Stop the name calling trash. Fans of the series are seeing the direction they are going, using their own quotes, seeing their(IO) own video, and coming to this conclusion. Its not a blind accusation. Theres no "BUH BUH YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET!!" I swear if I showed you a picture of a 3 wheeled race car with a backwards spoiler, no engine, non linked wiring, no steering ability, filled with concrete and and a wooden kickstand, you'd claim "BUH BUH YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN IT YET!!"
This a thousand times.
I can't even imagine how much of a stockholm syndrome complex you gotta have to defend a corporation that's shitting all over your favourite videogame.

Top Bottom