• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

ZZMitch said:
So what happens when you are banned? Do you get a message from the mod that banned you or can you just simply not post anymore...

I am interested in knowing.

When you come to GAF you get a snarky ass message/reasoning from the mod/admin who banned you and it tells you how long for.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Qwomo said:
The whole forum is replaced with a little message that reads why you were banned (not by whom) and when the ban will be lifted. You can't even browse GAF unless you delete your cookies, which is annoying.

Worst part is that it erases all your subscriptions.

Vagabundo

ZZMitch said:
So what happens when you are banned? Do you get a message from the mod that banned you or can you just simply not post anymore...

I am interested in knowing.

You get a pithy message when you login to the forum (not even a logout button).

It's fun, give it a try.

Tarazet

sohois said:
A while ago someone discovered a forum that had basically copied everything from GAF, right down to things like tags and avatars IIRC, it was a south african gaming forum and the creator of said forum was also a member here. I believe it was requested that stuff be changed so it wasnt just lifted straight from gaf, though im not sure whatever became of that forum.

Things got weird when it turned out the creator was also a dragon furry.

I'm the official dragon furry here, that guy was cramping my style. We had to dispose of him.

ZephyrFate said:
The thread we got our tags in was golden, though, and so few of GAF know of its existence.
I JUST missed that thread before it was locked. Shame, although if I were to be rewarded a tag, I'd like for it to be because of my quick wit and charming personality.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Shadow said:
It's really not a big deal. They mod/admin the threads they see but they can't be everywhere. I doubt Devolution is just reporting people she doesn't like or disagrees with. And if she is....well shit, I'll be reportin' that shit.

There are how many admins? They need a little help in the community threads and stuff like that where they won't go often, they are only human.

Reporting stuff that you find offensive but isn't against the TOS is ridiculous though.

ConradCervantes said:
I JUST missed that thread before it was locked. Shame, although if I were to be rewarded a tag, I'd like for it to be because of my quick wit and charming personality.
likely she would not have given you such a tag. some dude got a tag that called him mediocre, like a rather middling Yorkshire pudding

Aeana said:
Ech. Thinking about that stuff is kind of sad. I'm not too far behind you -- I was on gaming groups around 1993. Lots of good times mixed in with the bad, though.

All this GAF navel-gazing (glorious stuff) makes me pine for a thread about the "golden years" of Usenet VG groups. Would be catnip for oldies like myself.

Zeliard

Solo said:
When you come to GAF you get a snarky ass message/reasoning from the mod/admin who banned you and it tells you how long for.

Haha the only time I got banned was for 3 days for trolling Naughty Dog about some stupid Twitter stunt they were pulling, I think. Don't remember it exactly, but I guess that mod was a ND fan. :p

Solo

Zeliard said:
Haha the only time I got banned was for 3 days for trolling Naughty Dog about some stupid Twitter stunt they were pulling, I think. Don't remember it exactly, but I guess that mod was a ND fan. :p

I've been banned for:

- making fun of wrestling (lolz)
- spoiling Bioshock
- spoiling Oldboy

A month or two each time, I believe. Strangly enough, no bans for trolling :lol

Vagabundo

ConradCervantes said:

Tag fishing is illegal without a permit.

LAUGHTREY said:
There are how many admins? They need a little help in the community threads and stuff like that where they won't go often, they are only human.

Reporting stuff that you find offensive but isn't against the TOS is ridiculous though.

Of course but the mods and admins aren't mindless robots that just go, "Herp! Derp! Ok!" *ban*

If people reported dumb shit, they'd get called on it too, I'm sure.

hilariously, i was the one who named "eb" when federwang was tossin' out names. i was being facetious since i didn't think it would survive more than a month or two given willco's "sponsorship," and the name would serve as a sort of obnoxious and petty troll (the best sort) during that brief period of snarky venality. thanks to maf and demi, it hung on for a long-ass time, although it definitely needs a less glib and archaic name. white man was actually against the name and wanted it called "tooter town", whereas i was all "oh come on, what's a little juvenile and disposable cross-forum trollery" and here i am, vaguely embarrassed every time i see the original url.

of course, i still hang out there, because i'm pretty comfortable with that set of personalities and it has a good lightweight level of legitimately funny troll drama/activity sandwiched in between its frustrated geekness and its internet sanctimony.

Zeliard

Solo said:
I've been banned for:

- making fun of wrestling (lolz)
- spoiling Bioshock
- spoiling Oldboy

lol @ those last two

I actually remember the Oldboy one distinctly. You could not have given less of a shit, haha.

Solo

Zeliard said:
lol @ those last two

I actually remember the Oldboy one distinctly. You could not have given less of a shit, haha.

It was in a thread that wasn't even about the movie, lolz

Green Scar said:
The scariest part about getting banned is you aren't expecting the format change. Having the forum layout change on you like that fucks with your head.
It was worse for me when I got banned the first time earlier this year. I was using mobileGAF and I couldn't access any page on GAF due to the ban.

I thought my cellphone was crapping out. It wasn't until later that day I found out that I was banned, haha.

ZZMitch said:
I have been here two years with nary a warning to my name! Maybe I am just too easy going :p
I used to be the same way. I even bragged about not being banned.

All it takes is a not-paying-attention post on Gaming side...

turnbuckle

Barrage said:
Don't wanna turn this into a thing since this thread is gold and I don't wanna shit it up, but damn you are constantly on some white-knight bullshit.

P.S.- Whatever happened to crazy buttocks on a train, back when the NPD thread was the Wild Wild West?
Johnny nighttrain ?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
KaotikMind said:
Well EviLore if you don't mind me asking at all, how do you feel about gaf "spinoffs" like eb and such? Plus we all know why Costanza got banned but what about those who were caught in the crossfire?

It's a free internets. Obviously it's inappropriate to advertise the splinter forums on GAF, conflict of interest, and of course when people from those sites do or attempt to do nasty stuff to GAF or GAFers that's not cool, but otherwise, *shrug*. Everyone needs a place to be, and some folks get banned here or don't like it here.

Those Rock Band guys who weren't trying to spam GAF but felt threatened by the Rock Band OT changing and lashed out and got permed too, I mean, megathread policy changed and that was that, if you don't want to follow the rules here then by all means go elsewhere, I even suggested as much. Could I have been more diplomatic? Yeah, but it was pure antagonism from the start when I posted in the Rock Band OT. Should I have addressed the megathread situation sooner so that things wouldn't have been nearly so messy when policy did change? Absolutely I should have, but I addressed it when I did and dealt with the mess as best I could.

Nowadays when a popular insular subcommunity forms and people get really attached to it, I try to give them a place in the community forum (see: Ausgaf, Ponygaf). That's about the best I can do to keep the main forums running smoothly and not be too disruptive to those social structures.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
spindashing said:
When you log in, you'll get a message:

Banned for "so and so." Then it will tell you when the ban will end underneath.

Edit: Beat.
The worst part about being banned is that the posts don't update as fast when you're logged in (i assume it's that always when you're not logged in)

Londa

Banned
Plywood said:
So you're saying only two people give out tags? Bish and Evilore?

Hmm so I think I know who gave me this ............ tag.

I know Amirox was playing, but I still think I know who.

Interesting how people didn't get banned for personal attacks at me in the FFXIV thread.

xbhaskarx

Meus Renaissance said:
Coincidentally, I'd introduce higher standards for threads relating to the paranormal.

No you wouldn't, because higher standards would mean not having threads relating to the paranormal at all.

Teetris said:
The worst part about being banned is that the posts don't update as fast when you're logged in (i assume it's that always when you're not logged in)
Yeah. I hate that shit.

I got so tired of it that I stopped browsing GAF altogether for a period of time.

Edit: I'm sure Blackace gave me this tag in the Black Culture thread for acting a fool.

Drinky Crow said:
hilariously, i was the one who named "eb" when federwang was tossin' out names. i was being facetious since i didn't think it would survive more than a month or two given willco's "sponsorship," and the name would serve as a sort of obnoxious and petty troll (the best sort) during that brief period of snarky venality. thanks to maf and demi, it hung on for a long-ass time, although it definitely needs a less glib and archaic name. white man was actually against the name and wanted it called "tooter town", whereas i was all "oh come on, what's a little juvenile and disposable cross-forum trollery" and here i am, vaguely embarrassed every time i see the original url.

of course, i still hang out there, because i'm pretty comfortable with that set of personalities and it has a good lightweight level of legitimately funny troll drama/activity sandwiched in between its frustrated geekness and its internet sanctimony.

INTERNET LEGEND

Tarazet

Drinky Crow said:
sonarrat? man, you are still my favorite furry on these internets.

Amazes me that more people know me by the old name than the new one. And coming from you is ten times as amazing.

Fersis said:
You get a custom message (Writen by the mod) everytime you want to log in.
ie:
"Dont troll Microsoft"

And the date the ban will be lifted.

JStevenson IG Community Manager. I have some theories on why he still has an animated avatar.

He doesn't. Since a week ago, me thinks.
Now he's Sailor Stevenson.

EviLore said:
It's a free internets. Obviously it's inappropriate to advertise the splinter forums on GAF, conflict of interest, and of course when people from those sites do or attempt to do nasty stuff to GAF or GAFers that's not cool, but otherwise, *shrug*. Everyone needs a place to be, and some folks get banned here or don't like it here.

Those Rock Band guys who weren't trying to spam GAF but felt threatened by the Rock Band OT changing and lashed out and got permed too, I mean, megathread policy changed and that was that, if you don't want to follow the rules here then by all means go elsewhere, I even suggested as much. Could I have been more diplomatic? Yeah, but it was pure antagonism from the start when I posted in the Rock Band OT. Should I have addressed the megathread situation sooner so that things wouldn't have been nearly so messy when policy did change? Absolutely I should have, but I addressed it when I did and dealt with the mess as best I could.

Nowadays when a popular insular subcommunity forms and people get really attached to it, I try to give them a place in the community forum (see: Ausgaf, Ponygaf). That's about the best I can do to keep the main forums running smoothly and not be too disruptive to those social structures.

I agree with your statement, but it seems like some like Wrath who feel that they only invited people who were looking to join and that it wasn't perma or even ban worthy, and given the situation I'm not sure if they are telling the truth and there was more to it.

Qwomo

Teetris said:
Oh wow I forgot about that, it drove me insane.

Solo

Zeliard said:
lol @ those last two

Found it!

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390102

OP which I was mocking:

OuterWorldVoice said:
My name is Anakin.

My mom is a Slave on Tatooine. We live together in a large, well-built house on a normal street. It has a workshop, several bedrooms and a nice dining room. We have our own protocol droid, fluent in millions of dialects - and able to perform most of our household chores.

This gives me time to work on my huge anti-gravity Pod Racer. I can drive this and win vast amounts of prizemoney which I am allowed to keep and take home. I often do this after eating the plentiful foods and fruit in my house.

I am not sure who she is a slave to, or what that slavery entails.

My mom is relaxing with a drink. She is also mildly prescient and thinks it's a good idea for me to drive two turbine reactors at hundreds of miles an hour through deadend canyons.

Because my mom is a slave.

My post was deleted by someone had quoted me. My original post obviously didn't have spoiler tags.

WARNING: OLDBOY SPOILERS

Solo said:
My name is Oh Dae Su.

My daughter was lost to me many years ago in Seoul. We lived together with her mother in a large, well-built house on a normal street. It had a workshop, several bedrooms and a nice dining room. I had a drinking problem, which often got me in trouble with the law. One night after being released by the police, I was abducted and held captive for 15 years.

This gave me time to work on my fighting skills. I can drive this hammer into the skulls of vast amounts of thugs. I often do this after eating live octopus. After those 15 years, I was suddenly set free. While dining on said seafood, I met a beautiful young woman named Mido who showed a kindness to me. We eventually became lovers.

I am not sure who she is, or what our relationship entails, but I love her.

I eventually met up with an old acquantince named Woo Jin. He explained to me how I ruined his life, and how it was him who captured and imprisoned me for 15 years - to get his revenge, which he was successful in doing. How so?

Because my Mido is my lost daughter.

34fmsnl.jpg

ampere

xbhaskarx said:
No you wouldn't, because higher standards would mean not having threads relating to the paranormal at all.
Bingo

It took every ounce of my willpower to not hop in the 'spooky paranormal' thread about ghosts and lay down some knowledge.
I know if I'd done so it would have been immaturely and I'd be banned

Barrage said:
Don't wanna turn this into a thing since this thread is gold and I don't wanna shit it up, but damn you are constantly on some white-knight bullshit.

The fuck?

I pointed out earlier that committing "forum suicide" is a form of attention whoring, which makes the way that Himuro went out and all the people cheering for him showing that rascally attention whore what's what pretty fucking funny. And I dunno if you spend a lot of time here but the number of threads that get totally taken over by people piling on Devolution makes reading any OT thread about gender increasingly tiresome.

In neither case am I saying that the target of the attacks is blameless, I'm saying that the people attacking them would be much happier and well adjusted little humans if they just chilled the fuck out and stopped provoking the person. The reality is that they won't, because they crave the attention just as much as the person they're attacking.

And for the record, I'm an equal opportunity white-knight so if you're ever in trouble just send up the jim-jam signal and I'll be there to take a stand for your besmirched honour.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah the two long bans I got were gaming ones (and pretty much of those type you mention). The only OT one I got was pretty short (a week or so).
Yeah. I thought I would never post in Gaming side after I got banned, but I guess it's all about:

- Posting in a thread where you know a lot of people there.

or

- Contributing to the topic in some way that is not inflammatory. If you disagree with something, clearly state your problems without having to curse/berate people.

bengraven

I got my tag for pointing out that if someone posts a news story about an average-poor looking woman who has done the most fucked up things believable...but is white...than there's always a couple of GAFFers that are like "would still do it...".

Someone posted a story about a fucked up black prostitute who was below average but not fat and nasty and I was like (paraphrasing, which makes my argument look worse) "wow, no one has posted a "would" here...suppose it's because she's black" and Bish slapped me with a tag.

I probably deserved it, but I'm not usually one for pointing out double standards...just chose a bad moment to do it.

I still like my old tag: "too mature for this board". Something sardonic about it as I get older...

Interesting stuff. Always wondered why Costanza was banned and what happened to Dragona. Didn't know Lyre either. I vaguely remember Jim posts way back.
I talked to Red Scarlet right after she got de-modded. It was unfortunate to see her go. :(

Borgnine said:
Worst part is that it erases all your subscriptions.
Didn't know what. Well time to resub to some old threads then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom