• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been with GAF hop since 07, but ill answer this anyway

01. Rank Kanye's albums
808's>CD>LR=MBDTF>>>>>>>Graduation

02. Pick a coast to rep
midwest..mid south?

03. Pick a side in the Biggie/2Pac discussion
2pac...not even close

04. Make a comparison between Khalifa and something soft
the steelers secondary

05. Decide who you think won the Jay-Z/Nas beef.
Nas...but Jay financially

06. Flocka or Royce?
Royce

07. What you think of J. Cole?
hit or miss, but enjoyed the warm up

08. Who is the best Wu-Tang member? (+optional: Rae vs. Ghost)
Tical

09. Can 2pac rap? (Or do Biggie got DAT FLOW?)
yes..(no biggie wasn't even the 2nd best rapper in NYC with Big in his name for fucks sake)

10. Rate Lupe on a scale of 1-10 (+ call him a dumbass for Lasers and political views)
F&L 10, The Cool 8, Lasers 2

11. Lil B? Genius or mentally challenged?
eli porter would mentally murk him

12. Pick an era of Eminem
MMLP

13. How does Drake write such deep lyrics?
had all that free time by not walking around the set of degrassi

14. Is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production?
obviously, haven't gave a single LP of his more then 2 spins since Stillmatic

15. Joe Budden: Introspective and witty, or annoying emo fetus killing asshole?
the pump pump pump it up guy? lol

DominoKid

Birdman's tour bus > your house

birdman-o.gif

belee dat plehboi. prrrrrrr!

IrishNinja

free lil be album, done. good looks on his part.

im glad i wasnt solo on liking love below, even if im the only one who dug a life in the day..., haha. i gotta agree to disagree with ace; Tip put out such god-tier quality for me that he gets a pass to do what he wants now, like de niro doing rocky & bullwinkle shit and ignoring everyone wanting another gangster flick. 3K has had a discography a lotta rappers dream about, likewise - do i think he's wasting his talent fucking with kei$ha? sure, but you know, missy "wasted" a lotta years putting out seasonal clubbangers cause she wanted to get paid instead of doing more supa dupa shit like i used to dig from her, that's fine too.

not everything's gotta be for me, and again, i love GAF-HOP but ya'll talk mad shit about this dude's done etc etc then boom, it takes like one hard track from someone like Nas to get you interested again. nothing wrong with acknowledging when these dudes are past their prime, but some of you drop the "irrelevant" status like they can't get it back if they just hustled a bit.

grabbing that illz greatest hits too, and waiting on the steam sale to change up. sorry tokus, i want that witcher 2 but it's gotta go lower man, cheap cheap cheap's the name of my soul.

ps des' audio test links were cool; goddamn i didnt hear shit past 15hz on the surround sound, gonna go try with cans on.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
God Lil B's entire album sounds like a Las Vegas lounge act.. A 4 pm lounge act..

I can't believe he was apart of the Pack.. Who beefed with the New Boyz.. I think they had a pillow fight or something...

Acid08

Banned
Blackace said:
God Lil B's entire album sounds like a Las Vegas lounge act.. A 4 pm lounge act..

I can't believe he was apart of the Pack.. Who beefed with the New Boyz.. I think they had a pillow fight or something...
lol but you actually listened to it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Acid08 said:
lol but you actually listened to it.

I am not above listening to something and being like damn this is good.. But that wasn't one of these after school special moments... That shit was pitiful...

Detox said:
I will just like to let you guys know that Lil B stole U-God's flow.
Wrong track man.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8z1gTjcb1Y&NR=1
U-God, the birth of the BASEDGOD.

U-GOD said:
"Yeah/this one right here, is for those flllllyyyyyy motherfuckers/All those motherfuckers getting money/All those money makers/when u look in the mirror/and u confident/ur cologne
is on right/u smelling alllll good/u ready to go out town, u know what i'm saying/go out there and get pretty like me/
-BASED-U-GOD

emzTe.jpg

HiResDes

Click Artwork For Download Links)

*(From Left To Right, now in Ranking Order)*

1. Skyzoo ~ The Great Debater - Skyzoo is the Tim Duncan of rap, he has all of the fundamentals any rapper could ask for with very weaknesses in terms of rapping ability, and a great supporting cast but he's been known to bore some who are looking for some type of swag rap. I think he's one of the best boom-bap creators left.

2. Goines ~ Something to Lose - Really any one of these three top rated mixtapes could be number one for me, Donny Goines is an effortless spitta with a cool nonchalant swagger that makes somewhat conscious/self-conscious rap with deep themes that might go over your head if you get lost in all of the nice sounds. Like if Lupe grew some balls.

3. Bread (of Language Artz) ~ War of the Mind: Prelude to the Brainstorm - This guy's delivery hits like a ton of bricks, which works really well on this darker themed prelude to the album that is sure to rain down upon us like a brainstorm.

4. Tiron & Ayomari ~ En Kärlekshistoria EP - It doesn't get any smoother or much better than this, these cats are perpetually at the top of their game...Like if LR Kanye and TCD Kanye met up and started music together, simply beautiful. This EP is a Swedish Love story and that's pretty much the most apt description. The problem is that there are only five short tracks on this...But it only gets me more hyped for their full-length. Honestly though tack on another five tracks like these and this might be my favorite mixtape release of the year.

5. Zero ~ Awfulalterations - The epitome of experimental hip-hop, Zero's flow is as divisive as say Busdriver, and his production sounds like Shabazz Palaces b-sides. Unless you are ready to take an extremely open-minded approach to this mixtape don't even bother, its sound is sure to alienate many. This is some lo-fi dubstep/doomstep rap shit, but his ambition is undeniable and dude is incredibly intelligent.

6. Treazon ~ Visions - Rapping hard as hell over sweet downtempo production creates for an interesting dynamic on this album, but this is typical Treazon. Ultra self-aware, methodical, and relentlessly reaching for deeper depths.

7. Black Cobain ~ Young Gifted & Black - The good: It sounds very much like a heydey Wale mixtape. The bad: Black Cobain's music sounds too similar to Wale.

8. Jermiside (of the Lessondary) ~ Live & Let Die - Cincinnati stand up!. This is some soulful/jazzy shit, can't believe I've slept on this guy from my own city, he's quite dope producing the beats himself as well....The only problem is that some of the tracks aren't mixed right. His sound kind of reminds me of some old-school De La Soul shit, though obviously not quite as superb.

9. Thoth ~ Volume 1 - Some more pure boom-bap shit, basically on the same tip as Skyzoo when he made Live From the Tape Deck. Hard-hitting beats, aggressive rhymes, and a bevvy of fantastic features. The guy's flow gets a little basic at times though, but he definitely shows some potential on this tape.

10. Moe Green ~ Lionheart - Can't deny this guy's fantastic fluid flow, but this mixtape just lacks the oomph of his last one IMO. Entirely too downtempo, and as a result the beats fail to showcase this guy's versatility. Sure there are some amazing exceptions, but I came away a little bored...But maybe I'm being tough on him because Rocky Maivia was so fucking ill!

PBY

Banned
Nice wrap-up HiRes, this is the first month in a while that I don't have most of the tapes up there- gonna be a fun weekend catching up on all that music.

29b69c.jpg

I didn't realize Gorilla Zoe had a new album out- Hes one of my favorite bad/good rappers, I Got It is always on my going out playlist. Checking it out now

Yep, liking it a lot... Typical bullshit music though, won't change your mind if you dont like him already.

mileS

Blackace said:
I am not above listening to something and being like damn this is good.. But that wasn't one of these after school special moments... That shit was pitiful...

reminds of the time I tried listening to Flocka. :p

iavi

HiResDes said:
recommendation

I love you for this. I've already gotten most of them this time, but having them all in a centralized spot to grab makes getting the rest so much easier.

That T & A tape though, it's short as hell, but I've been listening to it so much, it'd have to be my number one.

e: hahaah, this Zeroh tape is the shit.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
I'm really feeling what Lil B is pushing man, I feel like Lupe might've been on to something.
What's happening to me!?
BasedGod just fucked your bitch.

It's okay. It happens a lot. You've been blessed.

iavi

Currensy & Tyler are actually having a conversation over twitter. Haha, it almost seems as if they've been kickin it, Currensy saying that he tried to get him high and he declined etc etc. A track with the two of them would be the shit of the year.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Miri said:
Currensy & Tyler are actually having a conversation over twitter. Haha, it almost seems as if they've been kickin it, Currensy saying that he tried to get him high and he declined etc etc. A track with the two of them would be the shit of the year.

Bun B showed a pic of some cupcakes yesterday, Currensy was like, "Man, I would get high and drunk and eat all of them", lol.

dskillzhtown

HiResDes said:
7. Black Cobain ~ Young Gifted & Black - The good: It sounds very much like a heydey Wale mixtape. The bad: Black Cobain's music sounds too similar to Wale.

Glad it made it in the top ten. I am loving the tape. Took me awhile to get past the first half, now I am getting into the rest of it.

dskillzhtown

Wow, smh.

Saw this on XXL - Scarface still locked up?
The Former Geto Boys leader has since been moved to Harris County Jail as of last week where he is being held for two active child support warrants totaling $123,372. He also faces two other child support charges as well as charges from the federal government.

His total bond is around $175,000. That federal charge must be a biggie.

iavi

Finally finished listening through "I'm Gay." And I don't know, it feels like he wants you to take him seriously, which... isn't the smartest thing to want. Without his swag rhetoric, and blatant unconformity, he's just a bad rapper.

hawt

Complex - Interview: Tyler Craven Talks Earl Sweatshirt & Samoa Experience

Tyler Craven was one of the dudes that was part of the Coral Reef Program in Samoa with Earl Sweatshirt. Most of the interview talks about how bad the program is, but there's some good stuff on Earl in there.

Complex: Do you have any idea when Thebe will be back?

Tyler Craven: Because so much light is on the program right now, because of Thebe, I’m thinking the therapists are going to let him leave when he’s 18. Just him. If he’s not gone when he’s 18, that’s when authorities in America will know about it. He'll be an adult in his home country. At that point lawyers will be looking into it themselves just to get some money out of it.
Complex: He wrote a lot while there?

Tyler Craven: Yeah. He wrote enough to make a whole album, at least.
Complex: Did Earl want people to know the truth?

Tyler Craven: Yes. Of course he wanted his fans to know the truth. Music is his life and a musician is nothing without his fans He was pissed when the therapists made him write that bullshit to the New Yorker.

kamspy

Knux-Future said:
It's pretty solid. Real smooth. His voice can be grating at times but solid. Will give a full listen when it really hits.

Yeah if Best Buy has it for <$10 I'm on it.

EDIT: Damn is this thing iTunes exclusive too? I can't find it on Amazon or Best Buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom