• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I missed all the gaf battles so I made a generic diss verse, recorded it...and then realized how shitty it was lol. Oh well. Thats what I get for not spending any money on recording equipment.

siddx

oh and since it's Native Tongues Tuesday

I started with Jungle Brothers way back in the day, but wasn't really feeling it (they are still my least favorite NT group) because I was knee deep in West Coast Gangsta Rap and the sound didn't really work for me.
Next I got De La's Stakes is High and feel in love with it. After that it was Beats Rhymes and Life, The love movement, and the Bush Babees album. Then I went back and bought every single De La and Tribe album and will punch a motherfucker in the face who talks bad about either of those bands. One of my most satisfying relationships was with a girl who was a huge Tribe stan and we would sit around singing along to tribe songs, getting high and fucking the day away. We saw them at Rock the Bells together and they will forever be attached to memories with her now, for better or worse.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god "Suicide Homicide" is so good.

SXnTR.gif

siddx

Ferrari Boyz is the most frustrating album of the year. Such great production ruined by two of the most dogshit rappers on earth.

Esch

Banned
siddx said:
Ferrari Boyz is the most frustrating album of the year. Such great production ruined by two of the most dogshit rappers on earth.
Yeah, it's like i'm waiting for someone to start spitting fire over them and it never happens. musical blue balls, if you may.

CRS

Now this would be an interesting discussion, De La Soul vs. A Tribe Called Quest.

I would give it to Tribe but just by a hair.

SXnTR.gif

Kel Mitchell? Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger, can I take your order?

Tokubetsu

Evidence's "Cats & Dogs" Is up for pre-order on Fifth Element now. It's gonna be signed by Ev and you get instant dl for a track he did with Fashawn that WON'T be on the album.

9/27/2011 release date listed.

siddx

If anyone wants it, I made a July Mixtape Mixtape. Although two of the tracks are older (april and may)

Click here to Download

Tracklist Artist - Song - Album
1. Kyle Lucas and Captain Midnite - Your Tragedy (The Sky Is Falling and I'm Fine)
2. Smoke DZA - Cloudkickin feat. Den 10 (Scumbino's Way)
3. Will Brennan - Get By (Road Not Taken)
4. Jesse Abraham - Spiderman on Vitamins (One Day)
5. Rugz D Bewler - Super Dope (Scumbino's Way)
6. Emilio Rojas - Champion Remix feat. Rittz, Laws, Laura Reed, and Voodoo (2011 Remixed vol1)
7. alpha.live - Put Love (Soul CineMa)
8. Soul Khan - Shot Glass Magnified (Remix) feat. Sene (2011 Remixed vol1)
9. Ced Hughes - All I Am (One Day We'll Wake Up)
10. Warm Brew - Willing to Ride feat. Sam Wilkes (Warm Brew EP)
11. Goines - FED Up (Something To Lose)
12. ProbCause - On My Own feat. JDM (Stir Fry EP)
13. Mean Doe Green - Blue Ribbon Rap feat. Raekwon, Planet Asia, and Nicatyne (Hard Hats and Hand Grenades)
14. Gameboi - Shut It Down (Freshman of the Year EP)
15. Actual Proof - Represent feat. Rapsody (Still Hotter Than July)
16. Black EL and Durkin - Sunday Drive (Remix) feat. El Prez and 6th Sense (2011 Remixed vol1)
17. Cutlass Reid - Vitamin C (One Day At a Time)

A track from the new Bathgate mixtape and Slaine/Statik Selector mixtape would have been here if I had heard them 10 minutes earlier.

Straight Out The Jungle

So I've been listening to Jungle Brothers for pretty much the first time ever, and while Tribe and De La's debut albums are far better, their first album kinda gives this weird insight into the whole Native Tongues "world". Jungle Brothers is like Latin, and Tribe and De La are English and French. Or something like that.

-"Jimbrowski must wear a cap..."

-"Not just to say I did it, but I'm committed..."

-"People think they dis my person/by stating I'm darkly packed/I know this so I point at Q-Tip/and he states, "Black is Black" (also, "hey, it's that sample used in Sekou Story!")

-Their second album (Done By The Forces of Nature) is much better in pretty much every way though. Also has another fun Native Tongues posse cut, Doing Our Own Dang (spotify link)

3ft High And Rising

-love the unique rhyme scheme on Daisy Age (shit, the whole album is a unique rhyme scheme). Also, I think I now see what Gift of Gab did there?
-Plug Tunin' reminds me of What's The Difference
-I feel like I have some kind of music nerd cred for owning both 3ft High And Rising and Steely Dan's Aja on vinyl
-Buddy remix >>>> Buddy on the album
-We actually started some work on getting Me, Myself, and I on Rapstar. Was never released as DLC though :/

People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

-Bonita Applebum and Can I Kick It are still the shit. Loved how they're sequenced on the actual album as well. Also, SEX! FREAKS!
-Love when the drums come in on Footprints. Q-Tip goes in on this track too. Now that I think about it, I think it's quietly up there with the big two mentioned above.
-I always forget that Phife was barely on this album. The documentary does shed a little bit of light on this as well

IrishNinja

^much love, soul. since i look to miss the docu next friday here (fuckin work), why exactly is phife so scarce on that classic? also, i listened again recently and it totally held up for me, i dug Lucien. also, i dont know how i slept on 3 feet high & rising so long, i literally just heard it last week or so...props to whoever commented about how well it goes with de la is dead.

also: any chance of a native tongue spotify playlist? id be all over that shit. oh yeah, copping siddx's mixtape too, thanks man.

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
^much love, soul. since i look to miss the docu next friday here (fuckin work), why exactly is phife so scarce on that classic? also, i listened again recently and it totally held up for me, i dug Lucien. also, i dont know how i slept on 3 feet high & rising so long, i literally just heard it last week or so...props to whoever commented about how well it goes with de la is dead.

also: any chance of a native tongue spotify playlist? id be all over that shit. oh yeah, copping siddx's mixtape too, thanks man.

Did you get an invite for your wife?

IrishNinja said:
^much love, soul. since i look to miss the docu next friday here (fuckin work), why exactly is phife so scarce on that classic?

From what I remember, he basically just didn't take the whole music business thing 100% seriously at the time. He had dropped out of school and said something along the lines of "I was just doing the stupid things that kids do around that age". Then the group wanted the 2nd album to basically be his coming out party and the rest is history

IrishNinja

Tokubetsu said:
Did you get an invite for your wife?

i did indeed, codes on the OT worked out, thanks man.

HiResDes said:
No, no one else is feeling it...Everyone here hates Wu-Tang

damn, newbie policy here is straight up dirt mcgirt. "introducing...yo, fuck that n*gga name!"

soul - ah, makes sense given how young these guys were. any ideas on a spotify playlist? id do it but id leave some shit off - tribe, cons, de la, jungle brothers, pharcyde, black sheep, later shit was what, com/blackstar? what am i leaving out, does leaders of the new school count?

iavi

I've been Flockaveli'd up thanks to Spotify lately, and Ferrari Boyz ain't just hitting the same. I think I need some more Luger.

JEKKI

one of the best hiphop events ever just got better.

fssbackNEWWEB.jpg

also, Edo G is doing a show in LA friday nite, and I am busy during that time.

:(

PBY

Banned
IrishNinja said:
late, brah.

damn, that primo vs rock sounds amazing. speaking of, ticketmaster down here says rock the bells is coming to miami beach, RTB site says nothing about this. who to trust?
Believe man, believe. Between that and WTT I have no more money, why is this shit so expensive?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ReconYoda said:
I can't really make sense of anything right now, my brain is numb.

WAKA...FLOCKA...WAKA...FLOCKA....GUCCCCIIII MAAAAANNNE!

they could say their names over any banging beat and it would still sound rad as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom