• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Barrett2

Wario64 said:
$0.99 IAP if you want to skip a level
That level of online functionality will be standard in all Nintendo 5DS games, available holiday, 2018.

** Hey, what happened to that anime love pillow pervert puzzle game? I thought that sold a lot of copies?

Alrus said:
Read the PR again, if they were including the 3DS in the DS family, they wouldn't have separated Kirby Mass Attack from Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. I'm pretty sure they mean DSlite/DSi.

Good point. Still, this just demonstrates further what an awful name "3DS" is.

TheOddOne

Phonomezer said:
Just because a game is exclusive, it doesn't mean it's must-have.

Or even good.
Stop bringing your logic into this thread.

tumblr_lprbwj8dVJ1qkxl62.gif

Nirolak said:
Quite possibly, though I imagine it might end up doing that even with only 200-300K units.
I think that NCAA should do another 300K. Madden gap should allow it to have some quality legs and I would expect plenty of advertising during preseason football that starts tonight.

Slime

Banned
Jeez, PS3 must be getting stagnant again. Sucks that the one generation where Sony has actually consistently delivered on the first-party front is the same one they have to struggle to stay afloat. They need to drop the price on that machine, stat.

I really wonder whether they even will, though. A PS3 being cheaper than a Vita might seriously damage the value proposition.

kswiston

Alrus said:
Read the PR again, if they were including the 3DS in the DS family, they wouldn't have separated Kirby Mass Attack from Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. I'm pretty sure they mean DSlite/DSi.

True. I just think that was a vaguely worded line, and that we should probably wait for confirmed numbers.

kswiston said:
Nintendo DS family could include 3DS.

Very unlikely. They used the "Nintendo DS Family" monicer last month and that only counted combined sales of the DS Lite, DSi and DSiXL.

3DS was counted separately.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SapientWolf said:
Might still be in the XBL top 20 too. I wonder if MK sold more than MvC3.
It's launch month was notably bigger than both MvC3 and Street Fighter IV, and its legs seem to have been much healthier as well.

It's very likely the second best selling fighting game this generation after Smash Bros. Brawl by a large margin.

bigtroyjon said:
I think that NCAA should do another 300K. Madden gap should allow it to have some quality legs and I would expect plenty of advertising during preseason football that starts tonight.
Yeah, if I had to bet, I think I'd agree with you and timetokill and NCAA month 2 would win.

ShockingAlberto said:
Before too many of you respond to that 360 exclusive thing, I'd like to point out that it's BurntPork.
I think he's the only one not yet banned that can still pump some life into this thread!

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Before too many of you respond to that 360 exclusive thing, I'd like to point out that it's BurntPork.
why are you trying to ruin the fun?

It's NPD for christ's sake!

Phonomezer said:
So Bastion has a shot at the Top 10 afterall.

Delicious.

I think so. Like Stump said, Rlan will probably give more accurate numbers somewhere down the line. It did have 11 days to sell and I'd assume that summer of arcade games are fairly front heavy.

Huff

Banned
Slime said:
Jeez, PS3 must be getting stagnant again. Sucks that the one generation where Sony has actually consistently delivered on the first-party front is the same one they have to struggle to stay afloat. They need to drop the price on that machine, stat.

I really wonder whether they even will, though. A PS3 being cheaper than a Vita might seriously damage the value proposition.

Or its just a slow July?

kswiston

Fallout New Vegas must have been massively overshipped, because it has been priced at $20 at most stores I have visited in the last few weeks. Fallout 3 took forever to drop in price.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, so 3DS is down below 114.4K (it declined on a weekly rate over June).

And since 3DS + DS was "about flat" relative to last year's DS number, that probably means that NDS was about 290K or more.

BroHuffman said:
Or its just a slow July?
That's part of it, but do you agree that if Vita comes out and it's more expensive than the PS3, its sales are going to be hurt?

kswiston said:
Fallout New Vegas must have been massively overshipped, because it has been priced at $20 at most stores I have visited in the last few weeks. Fallout 3 took forever to drop in price.
As posted earlier, it was $10 at Best Buy.

Seda

jvm said:
Ok, so 3DS is down below 114.4K.

And since 3DS + DS was "about flat" relative to last year's DS number, that probably means that NDS was about 290K or more.

So by "DS family", Nintendo does not include the 3DS it seems?. To be honest, I was expecting worse for the 3DS, but still.

FrankT

kswiston said:

Wasn't it $10 somewhere? Anyhow about as rough a month as I remember. Wii/PS3 share is ~339k combined.

Bastion wouldn't really count either as those are WW leaderboards iirc.

GTA IV 360 was around 3M first 3 months. Anyone know where it ended up?

kswiston

jvm said:
Ok, so 3DS is down below 114.4K (it declined on a weekly rate over June).

Impressive. At least compared to the mediocre results posted by every other platform. I wonder how long the DS will continue to post great sales numbers in the US.

Alrus

kswiston said:

Reports say as of november 2010, it shipped 5 millions, so yeah I guess some channel stuffing happened...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seda said:
So by "DS family", Nintendo does not include the 3DS it seems?. To be honest, I was expecting worse for the 3DS, but still.

We know only it is below 114k mark, not how much is it below that mark! Sub 100k for comedy gold, come on!

Next month without Madden will be VERY interesting.

Wario64 said:
Funny thing about the Sony quote is that Playstation Move didn't come out till Sept 2010 and Sharp Shooter came out around February this year I think. And only 18% YOY? lol. Strong consumer interest indeed.

That's pathetic.

1. NCAA Football 12 - No surprise
2. Cars 2 - Parents buy games for kids, confirmed
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops - No surprise.
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - Strong IPs with dead brain gameplay. No surprise.
5. Just Dance 2 - People like to imitate epilectic seizures
6. Major League Baseball 2K11 - Cool summer game.
7. Zumba Fitness: Join The Party - Why does the bee go to the gym?
8. Fallout: New Vegas - The miracle of the $20 pricetag and brand recognition.
9. New Super Mario Bros DS -
long-legs.jpg

10. Mortal Kombat 2011 - Great game. Glad its doing well.

kswiston

Puppet Shadow said:
As posted earlier, it was $10 at Best Buy.

It was $10 on sale yes, but I have seen it everywhere for $20. Even Gamestop is selling used copies for $18, and they typically have rip-off prices on everything in Canada. All these sales must be from the game being heavily over-shipped.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So peripheral sales are up 18% YOY. Also, for the record, the installed base for the PS3 is up 24% over last year. Soooooooo....

mr stroke

Why no one decided to release any games in July or Aug this year is beyond me. Someone could have had a hit with a sub par game or a massive hit with a great game.

Top Bottom