• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations: Two Sonics trailer

SykoTech said:
It was less polished and had tons of glitches, but the gameplay in them was pretty much the same. And some don't mind crappy games as long as it's done in a style they like (Spider-Man: Web of Shadows fans).

Same style sure, but executed horribly with terrible physics, level design and newly added game mechanics that break it. It wasn't the Adventure games' fault, it was more that Sonic 06 was a terrible abomination.

Personally, I prefer good gameplay. Thus I'm not really bothered if the Adventure style stays dead.

The Unleashed/Colors style is actually pretty bad compared to the Adventure style.

qq more

SteveWinwood said:
This looks good? How do you guys still judge sonic games from trailers? Sonic cycle etc. etc. Game might be good, but this also just could be some awesome trailer edited together? The 3d stages could be as bad as '06 and the 2d parts could be worse that 4 ep 1. HOW DO WE KNOWWWWW
Sonic 06 always looked shit from the start. Even the gameplay itself was bad. Glitchy or not, that game was a trainwreck.

Plus, there's a bunch of gameplay vids of Sonic Generations.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
EDIT: The music used in the english trailers has nothing to do with the game...just seems to be a trend with game trailers these days.
I still find it odd that we haven't gotten a theme song for this thing yet.

I almost want to say we're not getting one since we didn't hear one at E3 or again at Gamescom.

RagnarokX said:
The Sonic 3 final boss is in the 3DS version, but they used The Doomsday music instead :/
And it sounds bad. :( (Though, to be fair, I only have myself to blame if I like the YM2612 version and Project Chaos version far more than this.)

I'd personally love to have this in the game. Or this awesome remix.

SykoTech

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Same style sure, but executed horribly with terrible physics, level design and newly added game mechanics that break it. It wasn't the Adventure games' fault, it was more that Sonic 06 was a terrible abomination.

Level design didn't change much, it was pretty mcuh a mix of SA1 and SA2. The physics in the original games weren't exactly brillant either (neither were the camera controls). And what new gameplay mechanics? They couldn't have sticked closer to the Adventure games if they tried.

The Adventure series has always been messy. Sonic '06 was simply an accumulation of the problems they had. Thankfully it got Sonic Team to wake up and make more quality games.

Dark Schala said:
I still find it odd that we haven't gotten a theme song for this thing yet.

I almost want to say we're not getting one since we didn't hear one at E3 or again at Gamescom.

And it sounds bad. :( (Though, to be fair, I only have myself to blame if I like the YM2612 version and Project Chaos version far more than this.)

I'd personally love to have this in the game. Or this awesome remix.
Don't forget this masterpiece.

nns3d

Professor Beef said:

I remember someone posted it in the other thread, I had no idea one could screw up that song so badly.

RagnarokX said:
The Sonic 3 final boss is in the 3DS version, but they used The Doomsday music instead :/

I know. Boss looks boring tbh, though I don't remember hating the Doomsday music as much as everyone else.

Morts

What's the difference between modern and classic Sonic in the 3ds version? I couldn't tell from the E3 videos.

DryEyeRelief said:
What about it exactly makes it better?

More control over sonic and doesn't rely on speed as much as the unleashed style.

SykoTech said:
Level design didn't change much, it was pretty mcuh a mix of SA1 and SA2. The physics in the original games weren't exactly brillant either (neither were the camera controls). And what new gameplay mechanics? They couldn't have sticked closer to the Adventure games if they tried.

Actually the physics were ten times worse than the adventure games, for any game that's a severe decline. And I haven't played it in a long while but I remember some additions like a home attack were you keep kicking and punching in the air also a health bar. Don't forget interrupting the level to play as slower, ever worse gameplay with other characters you don't care for.

The Adventure series has always been messy. Sonic '06 was simply an accumulation of the problems they had. Thankfully it got Sonic Team to wake up and make more quality games.

The Adventure series has always been messy yes, it needed fixing and tweaking. But all in all the style of gameplay was better than unleashed's and the best case scenario from the adventure style would be a much better game than the best case scenario with the unleashed style.

And it was more than an accumulation of adventures problems, it was making those problems much worse while introducing new ones. The game was just outright unplyable at times.

nns3d

Morts said:
What's the difference between modern and classic Sonic in the 3ds version? I couldn't tell from the E3 videos.

Modern looks like it's just Classic but with a boost and homing attack.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Oh lord don't make me fight another final boss similar to the Sonic 2 one again. The Sonic 4 one was bad enough.

The best thing about Sonic '06 was remembering how people defended it in the OT.

"Better physics puzzles than Half-Life 2" was a phrase that was actually used.

ckohler

bhlaab said:
WHO ELSE CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AS MODERN TAILS!! Tails has been amazing in every 3D Sonic game and always has the best controls!

The developers have said in no uncertain terms that the ONLY two playable characters will be Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic.

(I guess playing Tails could still be an unlockable, though).

Also, now that they are going to have classic and modern versions of other characters I guess that means we'll see Classic and Modern Eggman, Amy, Knuckles too? Not playable but we'll see them, I guess.

qq more

ShockingAlberto said:
The best thing about Sonic '06 was remembering how people defended it in the OT.

LMAO WHAT?!?!?!?!!!?

WHO FUCKING SAID THAT?!?!?!

I WANNA SEE THIS POST HAHAHAHA OMFG

nns3d

ShockingAlberto said:

I had an account on SEGA's forums back when Sonic 06 was still in development. The meltdown that followed its release was amazing.

SykoTech

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Actually the physics were ten times worse than the adventure games, for any game that's a severe decline. And I haven't played it in a long while but I remember some additions like a home attack were you keep kicking and punching in the air also a health bar. Don't forget interrupting the level to play as slower, ever worse gameplay with other characters you don't care for.

The Adventure series has always been messy yes, it needed fixing and tweaking. But all in all the style of gameplay was better than unleashed's and the best case scenario from the adventure style would be a much better game than the best case scenario with the unleashed style.

And it was more than an accumulation of adventures problems, it was making those problems much worse while introducing new ones. The game was just outright unplyable at times.

The puching Homing Attack thing was only for Shadow, and interruptions to play as Sonic's friends and thier crappy gameplay is one of the staples of the Adventure games.

The Adventure games need more than a mere tweaking to become better. The absymal camera systems need a complete overhaul and the level design needs a very big push from the "islands over a huge bottomless pit" design. Those things alone are significant changes. And that's not even counting other problems like the filler starring Sonic friends, Chao Gardens, Hub worlds, etc. If Sonic Team could address all of that, then fine. Though by then, the only thing it will have to be considered "Adventure style" is the tight control over the character that can be found in any typical platformer. Though based on all of your comments, that sorta seems to be all you want.

ShockingAlberto said:

Oh god it's been so long, I don't want to remember that thread.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShockingAlberto said:

You're kidding.

Now I have to sift through that thread and see if someone really said that.

Fake edit: LOL!

TheOGB

Banned
TimmiT said:
EDIT: Also, this:
7ajXp.png
Whaaaaaaaaat

Alright, hype's back

Professor Beef said:
Oh god it's been so long, I don't want to remember that thread.
Yes you do.

I maintain that Adventure and Adventure 2 are fun games. It's after that it went to shit. Sure you could call it a decline, they weren't anything that great, but it wasn't this horrendous terrible thing that raped babies. That wasn't until Shadow or '06. Adventure 2 is slightly better mostly because it doesn't make a fat cat fishing an integral part of a boss battle. Oh and no playable Amy levels making me feel like I'm playing a strange furry nightmare version of Duel.

Raonak

Banned
Sonic, Tails, Eggman and add Knuckes to the mix for s3 nostalgia.

That is all you need. Keep all the BS out.

Dark Schala said:
JDA said:
1. So Sonic games should be all about running in a straight line and jumping occasionally?

All games evolve.

2. Well, Half Life 2 didn't really use physics for the core gameplay. The Silver levels do.

3. Psi Ops might use physics in gameplay, but it cannot be as complex as this game's. The physics in this game clearly show off the abilities of a next gen console. I'll admit I never played Psi Ops, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the Silver levels.
:lol :lol :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Anth0ny said:
I'd take Sonic/Shadow Adventure 2 style gameplay any day over BOOST BOOST BOOST Unleashed gameplay.
Fix the controls in Adventure and I might agree. I like how Colors forgoed them both though and devoted like 70% of its gameplay to sidescrolling, and a really hefty portion at that to slower paced platforming.

qq more

Dark Schala said:
Wait, wasn't this the same person who ragequit the thread after telling everyone how the gaming industry is dying just because no one liked the game?

OMFG IT WAS HIM LOL

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4863289&postcount=207

No, I played Half Life 2 to it's entirety more than once, as well as Ep. 1

It's obvious you haven't played this game. Just STFU, seriously. You and other idiots like you are killing gaming...

Here's more:

I really doubt Sega will do much better, ever.

This Sonic game is great. Either you can dis it and run the series into the ground YOURSELVES, or you can actually play the game and enjoy it.

The only 'problem' with this game now is the incredible waves of negativity that come from the media and gamers on the internet.

God, you guys are ****ing idiots. You aren't even able to form your own opinions and you accuse others, who clearly know better than you do, of not knowing what they're talking about.

Jesus ****ing christ you guys are ****ing idiots. Eat shit and die.

Tell him to play the ****ing Silver levels and just ignore the ****ing story, you idiot.

You know what the worst part is? You guys are total hypocrites.

A few weeks ago I made some comments about a certain upcoming Zelda game and everyone proceeded to trash me despite my clear comments and reasoning. This is a game that none of you even played.

Now I come on here posting about a game I am enjoying, one that I have actually played, and you idiots are allowed to trash it and anyone who likes it into the ground... WTF seriously.

You guys are scum.

omg rite, you didn't ****ing play the game, that much is obvious.

The game is MUCH improved over SA1 and 2 on Dreamcast...

Yea, pass the popcorn and look at all you idiots.

Anyways, I'm going back to playing the game. Instead of ganging up on others who don't share my opinion on the internets.

Enjoy your shitty forum.

WOW :lol :lol

Anth0ny

The_Technomancer said:
Fix the controls in Adventure and I might agree. I like how Colors forgoed them both though and devoted like 70% of its gameplay to sidescrolling, and a really hefty portion at that to slower paced platforming.

Might as well just make it 100% sidescrolling...

And WOW @ those Sonic 06 posts. Hilarious. I'm finally going to play that game next week I think. I don't think my body is ready.

TheOGB

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Might as well just make it 100% sidescrolling...

And WOW @ those Sonic 06 posts. Hilarious. I'm finally going to play that game next week I think. I don't think my body is ready.
Your body will never be ready

Top Bottom