• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations: Two Sonics trailer

Mael said:
Well I finally broke down and got Sonic the Hedgehog for ps3!
Mama Robotnik said:
Broke down under what, exactly?
birdman said:
I can only imagine torture was involved.
And that was just on the first few posts.

Dark Schala said:
The most disgusting stuff isn't in the video, but the people DEFENDING THE GAME in the comments.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nah, the definitive 2006 experience is the Lets Play. If you have 30 or so hours in which you can have videos on in the background then its a must watch. It teaches you something about life. It teaches you the point at which a man's soul breaks.

Zen said:
There seems to be a little too much... 'hold right (or forward, depending on your Sonic) to win' going on. I dunno, we'll wait and see, but the level design seems be very streamlined to basically keep noth Sonics running through the level most of the time isntead of having a solid mix of platforming et all.

Hopefully that's not the case, and hopefully Modern Sonic resembles the level design that we saw in Sonic Colors.

I"m glad you've pointed that out. I was thinking exactly the same at the end of the trailer.

Anth0ny

Okay new plan

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%282006%29_%28360%29.jpg

+

smirnoff_vodka_no_21.jpg

=

less painful experience?

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Ugh, and the Sonic 2 Death Egg fight was so bland compared to Doomsday.

What's with all the hate for the Sonic 2 boss? I have fond memories of that boss being a huge pain in my ass, but it was epic. The only bummer is that they already reused that boss just last year.

Anth0ny said:
Okay new plan

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090620054161/sonic/images/2/2b/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%282006%29_%28360%29.jpg[/MG]

+

[IMG]http://popsop.ru/wp-content/uploads/smirnoff_vodka_no_21.jpg[IMG]

=

less painful experience?[/QUOTE]
Take a drink each time you see the loading screen.

Anth0ny

Professor Beef said:
Take a drink each time you see the loading screen.

Oh Jesus. I'm quite certain I'd die.

If this is worse than Chaotix I'm in for one hell of a ride. Chaotix was the only Sonic game ever where I had to say "Okay, enough. I can't play this any longer." Having said that, I haven't played any Sonic games released after Heroes.

GAF and most of the Internet makes Sonic 06 seem worse than Atari 2600. I am preparing for the absolute worse gaming experience possible!

I'll make a LTTP thread if I do play it. However, I have one question. Should I play Sonic 06 before Colors? Haven't played either yet. Me and my buddy are arguing about this. He says to play Colors first because the awfulness of 06 might rub onto it. Whereas I say I'm going to need Colors (and liquor) to help me get out of the Sonic 06 depression.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The music in these official trailers has been so underwhelming. You'd think they'd use some classics considering how much of the game is about nostalgia.

Anth0ny said:
I'll make a LTTP thread if I do play it. However, I have one question. Should I play Sonic 06 before Colors? Haven't played either yet. Me and my buddy are arguing about this. He says to play Colors first because the awfulness of 06 might rub onto it. Whereas I say I'm going to need Colors (and liquor) to help me get out of the Sonic 06 depression.
I say save Colors for after 06. It'll make Colors seem even more amazing than it already is.

Lijik

Professor Beef said:
I say save Colors for after 06. It'll make Colors seem even more amazing than it already is.
This is a great plan.
A lot of the people in the OT were talking about how they weren't into the early Tropical Resort stages, but I thought that shit was amazing and it was probably because I spent the week before playing Sonic and the Black Knight.

Anth0ny said:
guys guys guys

It can't be as bad at Chaotix.
If Chaotix is your barometer for shit Sonic game, then you're not deep in the rabbit hole. You're not even in it. Hell, you're so far from the rabbit hole you don't even know what a rabbit is.

I wish I lived in a world where Chaotix was the shittiest Sonic game instead of one where I've accomplished shit like playing Shadow the Hedgehog all the way through to the last story.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lijik said:
This is a great plan.
A lot of the people in the OT were talking about how they weren't into the early Tropical Resort stages, but I thought that shit was amazing and it was probably because I spent the week before playing Sonic and the Black Knight.
Hahaha.

Yeah, like he said several of us weren't feeling the first world of Colors or so (without the powerups at least) But the second world has some of the best levels in the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny said:
I do see your friend's point. If you play Sonic 2006 to completion (with all of the characters), you might not feel motivated to play Colours at all.

Though, if you play Colours second, you can appreciate its greatness after playing the lowest of the low.

Lijik said:
I was more surprised that as soon as I started the game I didn't have to watch a cutscene.

nns3d

HeresSomeWeapons said:
What's with all the hate for the Sonic 2 boss? I have fond memories of that boss being a huge pain in my ass, but it was epic. The only bummer is that they already reused that boss just last year.

I have very bad memories of that fight :lol. I remember when I was younger beating Mecha Sonic for the first time thinking, "wooo, I just beat the game! That wasn't too-"

SS-2010-04-28_15.39.01.jpg

"...FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU"

Fuu

infinityBCRT said:
Looks good. Maybe this game should be called Sonic Adventure 3?
Unleashed was originally supposed to be Adventure 3, I wouldn't be surprised if Generations was internally known as an "Adventure game" at some point.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
infinityBCRT said:
Looks good. Maybe this game should be called Sonic Adventure 3?
Technically, you can call Sonic Unleashed that given its Japanese name: ソニックワールドアドベンチャー.

"Sonic World Adventure".

Edit: Beaten. Twice, even! :lol

TheOGB

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Oh Jesus. I'm quite certain I'd die.

If this is worse than Chaotix I'm in for one hell of a ride. Chaotix was the only Sonic game ever where I had to say "Okay, enough. I can't play this any longer." Having said that, I haven't played any Sonic games released after Heroes.

GAF and most of the Internet makes Sonic 06 seem worse than Atari 2600. I am preparing for the absolute worse gaming experience possible!

PLAY SHADOW, YOU WILL LOL
and rage, but it'll still be funny

As for the other thing:
1) play first world of Colors and first half of Sweet Mountain
2) force yourself to stop playing
3) Sonic 06, preferrably in small doses with Color Therapy thoughout
4) Live and Learn

nns3d

I haven't actually played SNG either outside of the demo. I remember buying a used copy for 5 bucks, but the disc wouldn't read.

Now I really want to get back with one of my college buds who I would play sonic 2 and toejam and earl with and also get drunk and watch awesome movies with, and try to play through sonic 06 passing the controller back and forth while drinking cheap beer excessively.

Yes I would stream this live.

why is this trailer so good?

i know it has Crush 40 songs in it. i know it has modern tails in it, and unless he gets his tongue cut out i know he's going to talk.

i want to play it, but my fear is that it's going to act like reversion therapy and condition me to hate classic sonic, by punishing me with everything i hate about modern sonic every time i start getting into it.

i am so conflicted.

J@hranimo

Banned
Afrocentric-Asian said:
I'll laugh if the 3DS version gets Ice Cap.

I'll punch a wall in if the 3DS version gets Ice Cap.

I'm guessing they chose this because the "Big Arm" boss from Launch Base segues into this stage?

SykoTech said:
The puching Homing Attack thing was only for Shadow, and interruptions to play as Sonic's friends and thier crappy gameplay is one of the staples of the Adventure games.

I checked and I see that it was only for Shadow. About the interruptions though, they were either after you beat the level by the other character in SA2(as in progression), or choose who you want to play like in SA1.

The Adventure games need more than a mere tweaking to become better. The absymal camera systems need a complete overhaul and the level design needs a very big push from the "islands over a huge bottomless pit" design. Those things alone are significant changes. And that's not even counting other problems like the filler starring Sonic friends, Chao Gardens, Hub worlds, etc. If Sonic Team could address all of that, then fine. Though by then, the only thing it will have to be considered "Adventure style" is the tight control over the character that can be found in any typical platformer. Though based on all of your comments, that sorta seems to be all you want.

The real problem with the Adventure games was that it should have focused on Sonic from the beginning, instead you are giving multiple different playstyles. Take the sonic gameplay from the adventure games, focus on making better levels and working on the tweaks, release that as a whole game and you now have easily the best 3D Sonic out there.

qq more

Wait a minute. Mushroom Hill Zone? What happened to Launch Base Zone? Are they seperating Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the handheld version or is Launch Base just a boss act?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
lol, I couldn't see the difference between the Tailses until someone posted the screens.

Rlan

Hah, just realized something awesome with the Sonic Gen 3DS Mushroom Hill -

Classic is green

60ZLt.jpg

MushroomHill.png

Modern is gold.

IqraH.jpg

mushroomhill21.png

Good way to do the two color level like the original :)

MAtgS

qq more said:
Wait a minute. Mushroom Hill Zone? What happened to Launch Base Zone? Are they seperating Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the handheld version or is Launch Base just a boss act?
People got confused because of a boss from that zone. It wasn't apparent at the time that bosses would be from different zones than those playable.

Fuu

Top Bottom