• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry shown live to the press, 30fps confirmed

jett

D-Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-dmc-sceptics-secretly-want-to-like-it

Capcom and Ninja Theory have presented a united front and promised that, in the wake of a fan backlash, the upcoming Devil May Cry reboot will still "feel" and "work" like old Devil May Cry games.

Tameem Antoniades, co-founder of developer Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved), said: "We've got our plan and we're not changing it."

Antoniades was speaking at a Gamescom 2011 session watched by Eurogamer today.

He went on to promise that DMC will "make sense" to fans "when you get your hands on it".

"The people who are sceptical secretly want to like it," Antoniades added, "and our job is to prove it's Devil May Cry in essence."

Fan backlash to Ninja Theory's Devil May Cry prequel began when a radical new look for hero Dante was revealed. Producer Alex Jones said Capcom Japan had been influential in this from the off.

"Character design is what Capcom Japan is deeply, deeply inolved with," said Jones. "[Ninja Theory and Capcom have had] dozens of meetings over character design".

Tameem Antoniades went on to tackle the issue of frame rate. The Devil May Cry prequel will run at only 30 frames per second, whereas old Devil May Cry games opted for 60FPS.

Antoniades said his game will be "locked" at 30FPS, and that the reduction allows his team to add "stuff like the world changing" - the way levels can transform dramatically during gameplay.

The director of the old Devil May Cry games will also work with Ninja Theory to ensure the "feel of 60FPS" remains.

"It will feel like a proper Devil May Cry when you have the controller in your hand," insisted Antoniades.

Combat was the focus of today's presentation, with the game played live in front of journalists for the first time. Eurogamer's Devil May Cry preview will be published tomorrow.

hehehehehehehehe

as a series fan, i have to wonder just when they think i'm going to 'get my hands on it' exactly
"Character design is what Capcom Japan is deeply, deeply inolved with," said Jones.
so, not combat, then

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
translation
Tameem Antoniades went on to tackle the issue of frame rate. The Devil May Cry prequel will run at only 24-28 frames per second, whereas old Devil May Cry games opted for 60FPS.

Antoniades said he wishes his game will be "locked" at 30FPS, and that the game will tear like a motherfucker.

The director of the old Devil May Cry games will also work with Ninja Theory to ensure the "feel of Ninja Theory games" remains, with mass amounts of input lag.

S1kkZ

Deadbeat said:
Now when they say its 30fps, do they mean Ninja Theory 30fps or actually 30fps?
it will run at 24 fps but with the help of the devil may cry producer, it will feel like 60!!!

TreIII

Deadbeat said:
Now when they say its 30fps, do they mean Ninja Theory 30fps or actually 30fps?

When you already know the answer to your question, is it really necessary to ask~? 8D

faridmon

Damn, It will never feel like a DMC game now. might as well change the battle system altogeter to difrentiate it from its prequels.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LiK said:
This was before Dante learned about 60fps

Oooo, new Devil Trigger mechanic. Initiate 60 FPS.

Cow Mengde said:
BTW, wasn't 30fps confirmed shortly after the disastrous debut of the game? How is this news?

No, they dodged the question every time it was asked. This is the first time they've been up front about it.

Zeliard

Cow Mengde said:
BTW, wasn't 30fps confirmed shortly after the disastrous debut of the game? How is this news?

It was "confirmed" by the fact that Ninja Theory is the developer, but it wasn't official.

Chamber said:

More like game deconstruction ....

yet another appearance/news and i'm still not convinced.. and no i dislaked teh previous NT games and i just can't bring myself to forgive them with what i am seeing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't wish bad things upon people that will result in the loss of jobs, but I don't see NT lasting the end of this generation after this game. It is like watching a Final Destination trap or something.

Cow Mengde said:
I think those were mainly educated guesses and one unofficial forum post on the Ninja Theory board.

Kintaro said:
I don't wish bad things upon people that will result in the loss of jobs, but I don't see NT lasting the end of this generation after this game. It is like watching a Final Destination trap or something.
I dunno, if their artists, animators, and mocap team are able to find work with a studio that knows how to produce good gameplay and glitch-free games, that's a net win in my book.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DmC |OT| The "Feel of 60"

5Z6ax.jpg

d5jRR.jpg

xBP3l.jpg

Danielsan

Thought we already knew this. When was the last time we got a 60fps UE3 game? Hell when was the last time a Ninja Theory game made it past 30fps...

sleepykyo

Kintaro said:

Strangely enough I get the sense the game will still do well and the take away will be 60fps is unnecessary. 60fps is already undead this generation and won't make it to next gen.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Danielsan said:
Thought we already knew this. When was the last time we got a 60fps UE3 game? Hell when was the last time a Ninja Theory game made it past 30fps...

Well Mortal Kombat.

But that's a fighting game and not an open area.

sleepykyo said:
Strangely enough I get the sense the game will still do well and the take away will be 60fps is unnecessary. 60fps is already undead this generation and won't make it to next gen.

CoD says otherwise.

I never thought I'd be using CoD as the last defense for 60fps.

Q8D3vil

Danielsan said:
we get them all the time in PC world :p

Mr_Zombie

Cow Mengde said:
It was only confirmed that the game uses UE3. Since MK vs DC (a fighting game: two characters + limited stage) is the only 60fps UE3 game no one suspected that DmC could run at 60fps using this engine. Not to mention, Ninja Theory made two games this generation, one running on their own engine and one running on UE3, and both were running at 30fps max.

sleepykyo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And yet a number of the biggest selling games this generation are at or around 60 fps...

What?

You've managed to catch that, and I do hope more developers catch that. But so far none of them have done so when they try to clone CoD.

Top Bottom