• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry shown live to the press, 30fps confirmed

Monocle

Akainu said:
feh Like official canon is anything to write home about.
At least it's internally consistent and sets a fitting tone for the series, both of which DmC would have ruined. As action game plots go, DMC1's and DMC3's are pretty good; simple stories told with fairly entertaining cutscenes. DMC4 tried for drama and fell flat, but it's better than Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta in terms of plot. DMC2 we don't talk about.

Even if it wasn't all that great to begin with, the series' canon established a world specific to Devil May Cry. When a game like DmC comes along and threatens to violate the series' conventions, naturally fans will object. How can anyone blame us? Previous DMC games inform our expectations. Fortunately, Capcom and Ninja Theory made the right call and separated DmC from the rest of the series' canon. It's really the least they can do considering the direction they're taking the game.

Raonak

Banned
Chiave said:
Damn I shouldn't have sold 4. I thought Bayonetta would quench my action gaming thirst .
I thought the exact same thing. I traded in DMC4 towards bayonetta. It came full circle when I recently traded in bayonetta towards DMC4.

DMC4 is so underrated.

I liked DMC 1 + 3's stories, I'll make no excuses. I liked them better than most stupid video game stories. I also liked the tone they set and I loved the characters. Hell, DMC 4 wasn't that bad except it felt like half a story. The background stories and the lore really had a lot of potential that would have been screwed up if they tried to fit this into canon.

Right now I'm just hoping this doesn't spell the death of DMC. Hopefully we see DMC 5 sometime before 2020.

And DMC 4 is very underrated. There are a handful of people that treat it like the plague (a few individuals putting it on par with DMC 2) but the combat was excellent.

chemicals

does DMC really need a reboot? I just finished DMC4 over the weekend and I loved every minute of it. I want more Dante and Nero!

Littlegator said:
Question: Does fan opinion even get to Capcom? I think there are maybe 3 positive fan opinions of DmC.
Yes and no. There are tweaks in DmC in response to the fans. But overall time and money have already been invested. Also, not to mention just from which fans did Capcom get the idea that DMC needed a reboot and be outsourced.

graywolf323

"The people who are sceptical secretly want to like it," Antoniades added, "and our job is to prove it's Devil May Cry in essence."

he really is delusional isn't he?

Zen

Banned
graywolf323 said:
"The people who are sceptical secretly want to like it," Antoniades added, "and our job is to prove it's Devil May Cry in essence."

he really is delusional isn't he?

How is that dilusional. The only incorrect part would probably be the use of the word 'secretly'.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Zen said:
How is that dilusional. The only incorrect part would probably be the use of the word 'secretly'.

It's delusional because it implies that he knows what DmC critics want more than they do.

So... what is the chance of a remixed hard mode / DMD with different enemy layouts or AI? Is that in the budget? I can tell you I would take that feature over every cutscene in DMC. Knowing NT their hard mode will just toggle Dante to do less damage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MTMBStudios said:
So... what is the chance of a remixed hard mode / DMD with different enemy layouts or AI? Is that in the budget? I can tell you I would take that feature over every cutscene in DMC.

If your question is whether or not DmC will have a DMD mode, I can't imagine it won't. As for whether or not if will have the same level of thought put into it as other DMCs, I guess we'll just have to see.

Zen

Banned
GuardianE said:
It's delusional because it implies that he knows what DmC critics want more than they do.
Um, no it doesn't. He's certainly not going to convince them by doing anything other than making a game that's up to their standards. That's the point of the quote.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
chemicals said:
does DMC really need a reboot? I just finished DMC4 over the weekend and I loved every minute of it. I want more Dante and Nero!

Yeah the series did not need a reboot. I loved the game except the backtracking and repeat boss battles. I loved Dante's swagger in the game as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Zen said:
Um, no it doesn't. He's certainly not going to convince them by doing anything other than making a game that's up to their standards. That's the point of the quote.

I read "secretly want to like it" as, 'DmC critics like what they see, but don't want to admit it' or that "DmC critics like the game even when they voice otherwise". Why else would he use the word "secretly".

And that line of thought perfectly fits Tameem's general attitude: pass the blame onto the consumers because it sure as hell isn't my fault when my game sells like shit.

Zen said:

Taken out of context of the speaker you may of had a point.

But this is tameen we are talking about. Nearly everything that has come out this guys mouth has come across as smarmy and boiling down to blaming others for his mistakes.

We don't "secretly" want to like a DMC title. We want to love it. Just not with ninja theory as the developer, because that element alone prevents it from being the type of title we want.

The development philosophy and skill set of ninja theory are at odds at what hardcore DMC fans want from what their games. It's as simple as that.

If by some miracle, they produce a game worthy of the DMC title in our eyes (DMC2 notwithstanding) there will be no secrecy involved. We will love the title. The evidence of this happening, however is extremely thin on the ground.

So what is Capcom going to do when this (almost assuredly) sells less than DMC4? I am not saying this game won't sell some copies but didn't they project like 5M for this game? Good luck.

Massa

GuardianE said:
I read "secretly want to like it" as, 'DmC critics like what they see, but don't want to admit it' or that "DmC critics like the game even when they voice otherwise". Why else would he use the word "secretly".

And that line of thought perfectly fits Tameem's general attitude: pass the blame onto the consumers because it sure as hell isn't my fault when my game sells like shit.

Well, you're reading too much into it. People have been bitching loudly about this game even before a single gameplay clip was released - if anything, that quote is simply an attempt to spin the sad reality in a positive way (some people will hate this game regardless of what it is).

MTMBStudios said:
So what is Capcom going to do when this (almost assuredly) sells less than DMC4? I am not saying this game won't sell some copies but didn't they project like 5M for this game? Good luck.
Shitcan the franchise.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Massa said:
Well, you're reading too much into it. People have been bitching loudly about this game even before a single gameplay clip was released - if anything, that quote is simply an attempt to spin the sad reality in a positive way (some people will hate this game regardless of what it is).

I don't see the message of "people will hate this game regardless of what we do." I don't even see how you can get that interpretation from his quote. More like "Despite all the hate they spout, they like it."

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. There are enough other Tameem quotes that make him sound delusional.

next thing we know is that there will be twice as much backtracking. It's what the fans secretly want.

It's what the fans secretly want. should be the next big meme.

Satchel

Banned
Wasn't Force Unleashed 2 using the UE3 and had some trick that made it 'look and feel' like 60?

I remember thinking while playing that I almost could have sworn I was playing a 60fps game, and then read an article that it was a trick they were using to give it that look.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
chickdigger802 said:
next thing we know is that there will be twice as much backtracking. It's what the fans secretly want.

It's what the fans secretly want. should be the next big meme.

They've already got the "feel of 60fps." Might as well throw another one in there.

Emitan

MTMBStudios said:
Blame the fans. Leave Dante on the moon. Forget he existed, etc, etc.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MTMBStudios said:
Come crawling back with a DMC5 after Dragon's Dogma bombas.

I predict a release of DMC5 starting with the end of DmC, then Dante waking up, promptly followed by him slamming down 500 gallons of rum and scotch.

Zen

Banned
GuardianE said:

You're reaing far too much into this.

Top Bottom