• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Slide Pad Detailed: Works with KH3D, MGS3D, RE:R and more [Tons Of New Pics]

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
mrmarioman said:
For 15-20€ I´ll probably end up buying it, but changing my Nyko battery every time I use it is gonna be f*cking annoying *sigh*

Yeah, as other folks have guessed we're probably going to have to wait for Nyko themselves (or another third party) to release a similar cradle addon with room for the bigger battery.

border said:
Ignoring that product refreshes are par for the course with Nintendo, the same people who knew the Frankenstick was coming said that the revision is coming as well. Nobody's "invented" anything.
This is actually not true.

The source that leaked the analog slider and the source(s) that talked about a revision are different people, 01net simply said that the former would make sense to be in the latter.

It wasn't "Yo this guy said there would be an analog attachment and that will be in the revision."

It was "Yo this guy said there would be an analog attachment, we've heard about a revision from other sources so it would make sense to feature a second analog."

I made the same mistake at first, too, but if you go back and read it, it does not say what you're implying.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
border said:
In the run up to new revisions, you definitely see people who refuse to buy the current version. Since the beginning of summer look at any "I wanna get an iPhone" thread and you'll see people there saying to wait until iPhone 5 is announced. People's aversion is directly related to how soon they think the revision is coming -- and with the Frankenstick introduction, the sense is that a revision is coming pretty soon. Given the dearth of 3DS software it makes a good bit of sense right now anyway.
That's an assumption, could be right, or wrong. Console is cheap, hits are coming, add-on is optional and allows to keep the console more portable than a revision could. Your choice, knowing there's no bad choice.

backlot

walking fiend said:
Honestly, I think even if the do, it won't be anywhere as slick as current 3DS, or PSV, as it is physically impossible.
and Honestly I think Nintendo will never make such a revision, the only revision.

So we have three options

1. A new revision with every thing added, at least thicker than current revision as much as the shoulder button.
2. A new revision with only another stick added
3. A new revision with add-on totally optional

I can see either 2 or 3 exclusively happening, but 1 happening exclusively is impossible.
I don't see 2 happening. Any game that supports the add on is probably gonna have a control scheme that uses both the second stick and the extra shoulder buttons. If a new system revision without the shoulder buttons came out it couldn't be compatible with those controls.

border

ShockingAlberto said:
The source that leaked the analog slider and the source(s) that talked about a revision are different people, 01net simply said that the former would make sense to be in the latter.
I can't read French, so I'm just treating 01net as "the source". At the same time, they've been on the money so much with this 80% of this rumor that it doesn't make too much sense to doubt them (even moreso when you consider their exposes on the WiiU and Vita).

StevieP

Banned
backlot said:
I don't see 2 happening. Any game that supports the add on is probably gonna have a control scheme that uses both the second stick and the extra shoulder buttons. If a new system revision without the shoulder buttons came out it couldn't be compatible with those controls.

No, all of the games that were announced to support this peripheral also support the default tumor-less control scheme as well.

I can't read French, so I'm just treating 01net as "the source". At the same time, they've been on the money so much with this 80% of this rumor that it doesn't make too much sense to doubt them (even moreso when you consider their exposes on the WiiU and Vita).

ShockingAlberto was correct in his assessment of the article.

StevieP said:
No, all of the games that were announced to support this peripheral also support the default tumor-less control scheme as well.

But then anyone who wants to play with the stick+shoulders...what they're screwed? Nintendo makes another new addon with just shoulder buttons? Option 2 simply isn't feasible

ShockingAlberto said:
They provided english translations for all their articles.

The Nintendo guy says it was a mistake and they'll do what's necessary to correct it. He might have not known about anything beyond the add-on, but it's safe to assume he'd expect a future revision to have the mistake fixed.

border

My point was more that "Oh well the source that was right is actually different than the one I doubt!" just seems like totally grasping at straws when so much has already come true, and how much it makes sense for them to include the slidepad in a revision. The site has a reputation for getting completely absurd things right (Frankenstick, WiiU), so I don't see a reason to doubt them on a revision that's completely logical and expected.

sfried

Here's one thing that really caught my attention: The Slide Pad Expansion's second pair shoulder buttons are analog. That alone let me believe that if there ever was a redesign, it will be a Wii U controller that is able to play 3DS games. That means the WiiU strategy is taking a major overhaul towrads its controller to do more than just stream video from the console.

It would match up to the part 01net said about it not being 3DS branded. But they never said anything about it directly supporting Wii U, which this is clearly shaping up to be.

I don't think I'll really be needing this though for standard 3DS games.

backlot

StevieP said:
I know that. My point was that a revision with just a new stick and not the extra shoulder buttons wouldn't be able to take advantage of these new control schemes. It would make the second stick pretty pointless.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A 3DS revision that isn't even called 3DS and is "downplaying" the 3D aspect (I don't see how you can do that in any way other than not offering it at all really) is logical and expected now? Maybe if the 4 months Iwata gave the 3DS to revitalise go without success, but that looks very unlikely at this point, and it wouldn't have been decided already.

Jme

I'm pretty LTTP on this but I've been ignoring Gaming side...
Anyway, this thing looks laughably awful. It's big as shit, and then it makes the screen off center which would never be acceptable for me.

Guess that makes it official that I won't buy a 3DS until the revision (if at all...)

:(

sfried

Graphics Horse said:
o_O
Is this confirmed? Hadn't heard about that but I did wonder.
http://www.1up.com/news/tgs-3ds-frankenstick-hands-on-photos?pager.offset=1

Check out the response with this pic:
292.jpg

Matt Leone said:
And yep, the triggers are analog.

bummyhead

Wolfe said:
Don't get me wrong I get what you wrote and why, but you have to admit it sounds a little funny considering as I read the post I could only assume you owned a 3DS. Till I got to the end at least.

yeah, I can understand that. :)

border said:
My point was more that "Oh well the source that was right is actually different than the one I doubt!" just seems like totally grasping at straws when so much has already come true, and how much it makes sense for them to include the slidepad in a revision. The site has a reputation for getting completely absurd things right (Frankenstick, WiiU), so I don't see a reason to doubt them on a revision that's completely logical and expected.

They didn't get absurd things completely right. They obviously have a good source who knows things, but doesn't know things in their entirity.

Case in point: they posted that the Vita's specs (or NGP as it was known then) had been reduced, but by the time they ran with that story we had other people here who said that was the case but that developer pressure had resulted in a U-turn. They knew that the Wii-U controller had a screen, but they didn't know specifics about the shape, ergonomics until pretty late in the game - by which point other people like IGN had info too. They didn't know anything much about the specs of the controller or indeed the box, and they didn't know anything about the name. Essentially all they knew was that it was a touch screen controller. They didn't know about any of the software features (like video chat, etc). They stated that Nintendo engineers were working on a right analog stick expansion, but they didn't quite know what form it was going to take, they didn't know that the console would sit in a 'pan' and that the expansion would also include extra shoulder buttons and effectively be a Classic Controller style accessory. All of their Nintendo stuff came from that one source, and they were careful and quite particular in saying that revision talk had not come from that same source... so really... we know nothing. We are only guessing based on what they have said and our generational expectation that there will of course be eventual revisions.

sfried

Alextended said:
A 3DS revision that isn't even called 3DS and is "downplaying" the 3D aspect (I don't see how you can do that in any way other than not offering it at all really) is logical and expected now? Maybe if the 4 months Iwata gave the 3DS to revitalise go without success, but that looks very unlikely at this point, and it wouldn't have been decided already.
I think 01net missed the point of that info, though. It looks to be part of the Wii U from the sound of it, not a new line of Nintendo handheld as they would suspect. The 3DS will still continue emphasizing its 3D capabilities, and I don't think they are downplaying the 3D other than "you can play it without 3D, but some stuff was designed with it in mind), while this new device might work more in conjunction with Wii U due to the very fact that it will have the same controll setup as a regular Wii U controller. It might play 3DS games but perhaps in 2D mode only, while it acts as more of a Wii U controller.

In fact it could possibly be that they ditched their standard Wii U controller for this.

MDX

So Nintendo has provided a small powerful portable game machine for pick up and play games and audiences that want simple control interface.

It later offers an optional attachment as a comfortable grip for those games that may require longer play times, and more options in controls.

This attachment also makes the 3DS more similar to the WiiU pad so that it can be used as an additional controller for the WiiU.

I dont see the problem...

edit to add: I dont see Nintendo making a 3DS revision at all.

bummyhead

plagiarize said:
i agree that this add on makes it look like they are flailing, but i cannot agree with a statement like 'the 3ds was rushed in every way possible'. i see no evidence of it being rushed. i see where they may have overvalued portability over other things. i see where they may have overvalued 3d over other things.

i don't see why you'd think it was *rushed* though.

Reasons why it was obviosuly rushed:

-System design was akin to the original DS in that it was pretty clunky and unrefined, and a definite step back from the DS Lite/DSi
-The system launched with hardly ANY games worth playing, and it took MONTHS for any worthwhile games to arrive.
-Second analog stick and shoulder button add on released with "afterthough" written all over it.
-Flagship games anounced with the system get delayed until nearly a year after it's release.
-Price cut only a few months after launch, combine with pitiful marketing campaign leaves the system looking like "just another DS".
-flaws in system design lead to scratched screens.

I coud go one. I love the concept of the 3DS, I still hope to hell it succeeds, but to argue that Nintendo didn't rush this out the door before it was ready is ludicrous. Even Iwata admits they fucked it up, why can't you?

JWong said:
What doesn't make sense to me is why Nintendo doesn't announce these things.

They had a new console, and they don't announce it. Only its controller.

Because the controller is the defining feature of the console.

The console is just the middleman in between the controller your TV.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sfried said:
I think 01net missed the point of that info, though. It looks to be part of the Wii U from the sound of it, not a new line of Nintendo handheld as they would suspect. The 3DS will still continue emphasizing its 3D capabilities, and I don't think they are downplaying the 3D other than "you can play it without 3D, but some stuff was designed with it in mind), while this new device might work more in conjunction with Wii U due to the very fact that it will have the same controll setup as a regular Wii U controller. It might play 3DS games but perhaps in 2D mode only, while it acts as more of a Wii U controller.

In fact it could possibly be that they ditched their standard Wii U controller for this.
Plausible. Nice idea anyway :)

Does anyone know if Vita triggers are analog?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MDX said:
This attachment also makes the 3DS more similar to the WiiU pad so that it can be used as an additional controller for the WiiU.
People keep saying this like it's a fact, or hinted in any way... I think there's a very big chance all of you will be very disappoint... Wii U streaming functionality can't just be retrofit to anything, a lot of R&D is going into that controller for the streaming stuff and games designed with large HD resolutions + a respectably large controller display won't always be easy to just downscale into the tiny 3DS screens... That said, I guess it might be plausible...

bummyhead said:

-System design was akin to the original DS in that it was pretty clunky and unrefined, and a definite step back from the DS Lite/DSi

What? Its pretty much the same size as a DS lite. Its closeness to the DS lite design is probably the reason they're having so much trouble differentiating it in marketing!

bummyhead said:
-The system launched with hardly ANY games worth playing, and it took MONTHS for any worthwhile games to arrive.

It was certainly rushed out and the software showed that, but its launch window software shits all over the original DS lineup. Even before July, it was better than what DS launched with.

bummyhead said:
-Price cut only a few months after launch, combine with pitiful marketing campaign leaves the system looking like "just another DS".

Iwata was quoted after the E3 reveal essentially saying he would price it at a 'premium' thanks to the positive response it received. The price cut was a direct result of them thinking they could get away with pricing it higher. And for all their apologies, they may actually still be quite glad they got a bit of extra money out of people in the launch window -- their retail partners certainly will be. The marketing campaign / positioning was flawed and confusing, that is true.

bummyhead said:
-flaws in system design lead to scratched screens.

I would say that's flaws in the production line rather than flaws in the system design: not everybody experiences the marked screens, and fewer still experience screens that are actually permanently scratched.

bummyhead said:

What are you talking about? It's nearly exactly the same as teh DS Lite/DSi!

Seems like some people have already reached "acceptance".

I'm ok with this thing as long as it is not needed to play those games (a couple of exceptions would be ok)... but if there's a 3DS revision coming and that renders all the 3DS sold until that point obsolete there's going to be a lot of pissed off gamers out there, me included.

radioheadrule83 said:
Iwata was quoted after the E3 reveal essentially saying he would price it at a 'premium' thanks to the positive response it received. The price cut was a direct result of them thinking they could get away with pricing it higher.
Woo, stupid gaming apocrypha.

Dennis

Banned
I wouldn't be caught dead with that hideous thing.

Revision time.

Nintendo, take a look at the iPhone. Kids and young adults alike think it looks cool.

radioheadrule83 said:
It was certainly rushed out and the software showed that, but its launch window software shits all over the original DS lineup. Even before July, it was better than what DS launched with.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the lack of launch titles from Nintendo was because they wanted to give third parties a chance to step up and make some great games for the system after third parties incessantly bitched about "We can't sell Wii games because Nintendo's are too good and we can't compete."

Again, I might be mis-remembering that.

DennisK4 said:
I wouldn't be caught dead with that hideous thing.

Revision time.

Nintendo, take a look at the iPhone. Kids and young adults alike think it looks cool.

So...you're saying you want them to start removing buttons instead of adding them?

AbsoluteZero said:
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the lack of launch titles from Nintendo was because they wanted to give third parties a chance to step up and make some great games for the system after third parties incessantly bitched about "We can't sell Wii games because Nintendo's are too good and we can't compete."

Again, I might be mis-remembering that.

Possibly, but I think its reasonable to think that they might have had a lot on their plate this year -- games like Zelda and Starfox (enhanced ports!) were outsourced, and games like Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land are just about ready for the holiday, they're working on Wii-U software -- I bet they're pretty busy. They may have figured giving third parties the breathing room would allow third parties a chance to shine and allow Nintendo a chance to take their time with their own software and crack on with Wii-U launch prep.

Alchemy

AbsoluteZero said:

You're mis-remembering. Selling games on the Wii has nothing to do with quality or being published by Nintendo (not that it hurts).

ShockingAlberto said:
Woo, stupid gaming apocrypha.

Iwata's response (according to Andriasang's translation): Nintendo simply priced the 3DS according to a "number of factors," one of which being "reactions to the system's E3 reveal."

http://www.1up.com/news/3ds-price-due-e3-reaction

The way radioheadrule83 worded it may have been an oversimplification but unless this quotation was found to be mistranslated, the idea that the 3DS launch price was inflated partially due to the very positive E3 2010 response isn't totally inaccurate.

Chittagong

Gold Member
5l43dl.jpg

Haha, oh wow

What can possibly be the rationale for this requirement? Do they have a similar requirement for playing 3DS bareback?

My guess is that if someone grabs the 3DS by its upper lid, lets go of the pan - and the rubber grips for some reason fail - the pan doesn't go crashing to the floor... and likewise if they do some gyro manouvres and somehow slip with it, the 3DS doesn't crash to the floor. Its a precaution to prevent complaints that the product caused damage to their hardware - similar to the Wii wrist straps.

wrowa

Captain N said:
Anyone word on how long the AAA battery will last?
There is nothing official yet, no.

But considering that IR tends to have a very low power consumption and the fact that the battery is even screwed into the add-on, I'd say that the battery is going to last for quite a while. 30 hours at least, I think. Maybe even similar to the CCPro (50-70hrs; though 70 hours seems rather outlandish and overly optimistic :p).

Top Bottom