• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I for one am happy that they removed unlockable bonus videos. All they did is take up space in UC2 that could have been used to compress cutscenes better. If this has let them compress them better this time, I'm all for it.

Why there's no cutscene player though?

Something nice they could do would be to have an actual realtime cutscene player - even if it's just for some of the scenes. To kind of try and 'prove' that cutscenes are really rendered by realtime engine.

sephi22

- Melee combat feels like Arkham. Its not quite there but I like it more than UC2. Feels like I'm in control.

- OMG. GAF. THIS FUCKING GAME. Just know that I'm not even 20 minutes in and the game's already dropping bombs. :D :D :D

This is one game where posting spoilers in spoiler tags is a crime, even if half of us have played it. Accidentally highlighting one would be devastating.

planar1280 said:
Hey Gaf, I am nearing the end of Uncharted 2. should i wait for price drop or just go ahead and get 3

Do you like 2? I think your answer to that question should answer the question you posed here.

The Lamp

Does it at least let you pick from the different chapters once you finish so you don't have to start from the beginning of the game each time?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lord Error said:
I for one am happy that they removed unlockable bonus videos. All they did is take up space in UC2 that could have been used to compress cutscenes better. If this has let them compress them better this time, I'm all for it.

Why there's no cutscene player though?

Something nice they could do would be to have an actual realtime cutscene player - even if it's just for some of the scenes. To kind of try and 'prove' that cutscenes are really rendered by realtime engine.
there ARE unlockable bonus videos and artwork. there are no bonus cheats.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:
I recall somebody comparing it to Rocksteady's Batman. I feel lied to... betrayed, even.

Uncharted 2's combat at it's very best even isn't in the ballpark of Batman's combat system. They're literally completely different. For Uncharted 3 to be anything like Batman, the entire combat system would need to overhauled.

I blame stupid reviewers comparing two games where you punch things and assuming that means they're similar.

sephi22 said:
- Melee combat feels like Arkham. Its not quite there but I like it more than UC2. Feels like I'm in control.

- OMG. GAF. THIS FUCKING GAME. Just know that I'm not even 20 minutes in and the game's already dropping bombs. :D :D :D

This is one game where posting spoilers in spoiler tags is a crime, even if half of us have played it. Accidentally highlighting one would be devastating.

Yeah, I highlighted one by accident and it was... bad. Like, I felt really bad. I wished it had remained a surprise. I wish people playing the game early just not come into this thread if they're gonna discuss story stuff. Just make a Spoiler thread and go there or something.

sephi22

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Yeah, I highlighted one by accident and it was... bad. Like, I felt really bad. I wished it had remained a surprise. I wish people playing the game early just not come into this thread if they're gonna discuss story stuff. Just make a Spoiler thread and go there or something.
This times a 1000.
If someone doesn't make one by tomorrow, I will.

DO NOT POST SPOILERS HERE, EVEN IN SPOILER TAGS.

You know why? Because even if someone finished chapter 1, he can spoil something substantial for the rest.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
Uncharted 2's combat at it's very best even isn't in the ballpark of Batman's combat system. They're literally completely different. For Uncharted 3 to be anything like Batman, the entire combat system would need to overhauled.

I blame stupid reviewers comparing two games where you punch things and assuming that means they're similar.

I've been on a media blackout, so when I read the comparison to Rocksteady's Batman, I naturally assumed the melee system had been overhauled to a Rocksteady-esque level. And in my case, I think it was a GAFer who made the comparison. For shame. :(

EatChildren said:

Punch, counter, and contextual moves. Batman is a more elaborate version of it. Assassins Creed is similar too.

Having a easy fun satisfying melee system is a cherry on top of a great shooter.

A.R.K

Wario64 said:
I'm nearing the end of the game I think. Don't want it to end, nooo

This is what I hated about UC2...the game had to end at some point :( but I took my sweet time to stretch it as much I could...this series is one of those where I would wish for just one more chapter after the current chapter. Series of the gen no doubt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
marathonfool said:
Punch, counter, and contextual moves. Batman is a more elaborate version of it. Assassins Creed is similar too.

Having a easy fun satisfying melee system is a cherry on top of a great shooter.

Batman elaborates on the system so much further that they are completely different. I really cannot see the comparisons at all. Might as well compared it to Bayonetta while we're at it.

I don't really care, but if people are going to compare it at all to Batman, I'm going to expect something in that realm, not a simple two button QTE against single foes.

notworksafe

Don't post spoilers even in spoiler tags? Are you people serious?

Have some goddamn self-control and just don't highlight something until you are done with the game. It's not like its a 200+ hour epic RPG or something that takes a long time to slog through.

BruiserBear said:
Do you like 2? I think your answer to that question should answer the question you posed here.

i love 2 but i am conflicted if I should take a breather and play another game or just go in and play the 3rd. I played 1 first time ever last week then 2 first time ever this week. Maybe I will overload myself with Uncharted and not like it as much

notworksafe said:

Serious as a heart attack.

heart-attacks_0.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
notworksafe said:

Have some goddamn self-control and just don't highlight something until you are done with the game. It's not like its a 200+ hour epic RPG or something that takes a long time to slog through.

People are stupid and regularly fuck up spoiler tags (why are they not a standard button?).

Bazhard

Banned
sephi22 said:
This times a 1000.
If someone doesn't make one by tomorrow, I will.

DO NOT POST SPOILERS HERE, EVEN IN SPOILER TAGS.

You know why? Because even if someone finished chapter 1, he can spoil something substantial for the rest.
Don't highlight the spoiler tags? they were invented for a reason.

notworksafe

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Serious as a heart attack.
How about just not highlighting them? I hear that works wonders.

alr1ghtstart said:
People are stupid and regularly fuck up spoiler tags (why are they not a standard button?).
Them not being a standard button is pretty odd, actually. But if the tags are set up right, then no one should have a problem with them being posted.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
this is an uncharted 3 impressions/official thread. if you don't want spoilers don't come in the thread. you guys are lucky that people are courteous enough to use spoiler tags in the first place

notworksafe said:
How about just not highlighting them? I hear that works wonders.

Well, I would have done that but people who have the game early accidentally spoil the most random shit. Half the time they talk, I don't know if it's a joke or a plot point.

Look, I think if you get the game early and wanna discuss the story, then discuss it in a spoiler thread. Don't start throwing around plot bits and stuff in the main discussion thread where 99% of the people don't even own the game yet cause it's four days away from release.

EloquentM said:
this is an uncharted 3 impressions thread. if you don't want spoilers don't come in the thread. you guys are lucky that people are courteous enough to use spoiler tags in the first place

I was under the impression this is a general discussion thread for Uncharted 3, not willy-nilly spoiler heaven.*

Look, I appreciate the impressions and reviews the members who own the game are giving. I just don't like all the spoilerific detail in this thread before the release of the game. Sorry, but that's just how I feel.

* Alright, not willy-nilly, but it's frustrating as hell when somebody's talking about something in spoiler threads and there's no warning as to whether it's a joke, a light spoiler, or a heavy spoiler.

LowEndTorque said:
regarding the unlockables... don't know if this has already been posted plus I'm unworthy of making threads anyways so I'll post it here

"Uncharted 3 May Have Day 1 DLC Already on the Disc"

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/10/...y-on-the-disc/
Not even surprised.

EloquentM said:
this is an uncharted 3 impressions/official thread. if you don't want spoilers don't come in the thread. you guys are lucky that people are courteous enough to use spoiler tags in the first place
That's not a courtesy, that should be a requirement, especially since the game isn't even officially out yet.

notworksafe

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Well, I would have done that but people who have the game early accidentally spoil the most random shit. Half the time they talk, I don't know if it's a joke or a plot point.

Look, I think if you get the game early and wanna discuss the story, then discuss it in a spoiler thread. Don't start throwing around plot bits and stuff in the main discussion thread where 99% of the people don't even own the game yet cause it's four days away from release.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think that in a discussion thread, anything is open for discussion. Including "spoilers" in their proper tag. As I said, if you are concerned about spoilers just don't highlight anything in tags until you've finished the game. That will keep you spoiler free. Or just wait to go into a thread discussing a game if you don't want to see discussion about it.

I bet you highlighted this. That's no way to keep spoiler free.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
alr1ghtstart said:

There's a GreaseMonkey script for Firefox that adds three extra buttons to GAF (spoiler tags, highlight text and strike text)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
upJTboogie said:
Not even surprised.

That's not a courtesy, that should be a requirement, especially since the game isn't even officially out yet.
you have a point about the game not being out but once it is that spoiler thread should be rendered useless.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm going to click that spoiler thread by accident. I just know it's going to happen, and it happened to me once already for another game.

Ricky_R

Ok I gotta be honest. I hardly get annoyed by stuff developers remove and shit, and I don't like to second guess their decisions, but I'm pretty annoyed that I can't watch the cut-scenes after finishing the game.

I know this might be considerably trivial for many people, but I always find that feature very convenient, as I like to enjoy the cut-scenes again more carefully. Specially Uncharted ones.

It definitely sucks for me and those like me.

arne

spats said:
Arne could shed some light on this.

Activate the batsignal!

Those game modifying unlockables kept breaking the game no matter what we tried to make it all stable. We have been pushing the engine really hard this time around, and some sequences - cruise ship comes to mind - were especially challenging.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Combichristoffersen said:
There's a GreaseMonkey script for Firefox that adds three extra buttons to GAF (spoiler tags, highlight text and strike text)

I use that, but those people that fuck up spoiler tags don't.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
arne said:
Those game modifying unlockables kept breaking the game no matter what we tried to make it all stable. We have been pushing the engine really hard this time around, and some sequences - cruise ship comes to mind - were especially challenging.
there you have it folks. what about the cutscene player arne? what happened to that?

Hey Arne,

Do you know anything about the Subway promotion, where some people like myself won copies of the game on their site? Do you know when those copies might be shipping?

Thanks for any help you might provide. :)

Bigfoot

arne said:
That doesn't explain the missing weapon select cheats and character changes...

arne

EloquentM said:
there you have it folks. what about the cutscene player arne? what happened to that?

Not sure actually. I'm looking into that.

Porthos said:
That doesn't explain the missing weapon select cheats and character changes...

It was all part of the same "system" in a way. Being able to change a lot of things around in a way that wasn't part of the main game started to pile up bugs and break the game, it wasn't just a physics thing or mirrorworld.

EloquentM said:
you have a point about the game not being out but once it is that spoiler thread should be rendered useless.

Let me guess, you're one of those people who has already spoiled this entire game for yourself, because you think nothing of spoiling anything prior to seeing it.

Yes, it's a discussion thread, but discussion includes helping others with the game who get stuck, impressions of the game for prospective buyers, etc.

People should be able to visit a thread like this without fearing they're going to have a major secret thrown right in their face. It is not too much to ask that people spoiler tag major plot points of a game like this. It's a common courtesy of game discussion.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
arne said:
Not sure actually. I'm looking into that.

It was all part of the same "system" in a way. Being able to change a lot of things around in a way that wasn't part of the main game started to pile up bugs and break the game, it wasn't just a physics thing or mirrorworld.
Thank you!

Top Bottom