• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

rhino4evr

With regards to Normal/Hard. I play all games on Normal first unless I hear that the game is really easy or has been dumbed down (like metroid prime 3)

...on Uncharted 2 I died quite a few times on Normal mode, and found Hard mode very doable due to knowing already where enemies come from. I think I died less on my hard play through then my first normal play through.

That last boss was a total bitch on hard mode though....

Rengoku

Loudninja said:
Wow biggest game so far?

Could be. The largest game previously was Killzone 3 at 41.5 GB. But that was mostly because the cutscene videos were bloated and encoded in bink format, taking up over 1/3rd of the disc.

GlamFM

Banned
EloquentM said:
I just like to strategize in my shooters. I don't like being able to take 15 bullets before I die. I am fully aware that's my sole opinion though.

The Problem is that the enemies still take 20 bullets to die...

Loudninja said:
Eh that was never the reason for me to collect the treasures.

I did it because I found searching for them fun and I enjoy look at the different artifacts.
This basically reduces the treasures in UC3 to something comparable to the flags in Assassin's Creed 1.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
rhino4evr said:
With regards to Normal/Hard. I play all games on Normal first unless I hear that the game is really easy or has been dumbed down (like metroid prime 3)

...on Uncharted 2 I died quite a few times on Normal mode, and found Hard mode very doable due to knowing already where enemies come from. I think I died less on my hard play through then my first normal play through.

That last boss was a total bitch on hard mode though....
Did you beat the game on crushing? Crushing was a bitch.

I never used any of those options but I guess choices are made in order to comply with a 24 month schedule. Hopefully this means that the vanilla singleplayer, Co-op Local splitscreen/online & multiplayer are as good as they set them out to be.

I think I hear/read somewhere that they can't do slow mo because not enough power or something. but I have no idea why they remove weapons and ammo, those cheats are crucial for getting medals like kill 40 people with this weapon etc. and make it fun on replay too.

Callibretto said:
I think I hear/read somewhere that they can't do slow mo because not enough power or something. but I have no idea why they remove weapons and ammo, those cheats are crucial for getting medals like kill 40 people with this weapon etc. and make it fun on replay too.
I understand that greater scripting AND greater use of physics simulations is going to make slow-mo and no-gravity mode a lot harder to pull off. But that's no excuse to take away SP skins or visual filters, IMO.

Loudninja

Callibretto said:
Huh? I did every single one of those meats without a single cheat.

I think its more fun that way too.

EloquentM said:
Crushing was easier than Hard 1st playthrough for me. Mostly because of acquired knowledge. UC2 was easy compared to UC1.

Also, no unlockables does indeed suck for people who don't play multiplayer and enjoy the single player campaign. That's not a reaction, it's an expression of disappointment.

Loudninja said:
Huh? I did every single one of those meats without a single cheat.

I think its more fun that way too.

well, not crucial, just much easier that I can just use those weapon anytime rather than have to use chapter select to play which chapter have access to those weapons

rhino4evr

EloquentM said:
Nah fuck that, I'm not one of those gamers that likes to torture myself for achievements/trophies. In fact I rarely play hard mode in most games, like i said before I enjoyed Uncharted 2 so much and collecting treasures to unlock stuff so much that I decided to try a hard run.

I think the hardest game I ever completed 100% was F-Zero GX...but damn were those Arcade tracks worth it.

Pranay

While Certainly its a disappointment for those that they removed those stuffs, wont be surprised if the mp skins may be availble for sp

TBH They have added a lot of features in mp and co op

Though it will suck for sp users though

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Callibretto said:
well, not crucial, just much easier that I can just use those weapon anytime rather than have to use chapter select to play which chapter have access to those weapons
I always thought being able to choose which weapon you wanted was cheating the trophy system. I had hoped they'd remedy that in UC3 but I didn't want them to take that feature out completely!

Loudninja

Callibretto said:
True, I never was a cheats person though.

EloquentM said:
I always thought being able to choose which weapon you wanted was cheating the trophy system. I had hoped they'd remedy that in UC3 but I didn't want them to take that feature out completely!
I hope not, it's fun to play earlier heavy firefight against lots of people and use gatling gun to wreck havoc among them, and while racking up kill for that 200 kill GAU19 trophy along the way.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Callibretto said:
I hope not, it's fun to play earlier heavy firefight against lots of people and use gatling gun to wreck havoc among them, and while racking up kill for that 200 kill GAU19 trophy along the way.
The feature is gone completely in UC3. What I meant though was something along the lines of changing to specific weapons in the wrong chapters not counting towards your trophy kills when you eliminate someone with that specific weapon.

EloquentM said:
The feature is gone completely in UC3. What I meant though was something along the lines of changing to specific weapons in the wrong chapters not counting towards your trophy kills when you eliminate someone with that specific weapon.
wait, when you mean changing to specific weapon in the wrong chapters, do you mean weapon cheats is still there, but you can't use them for trophy hunting now?

Patapwn

Removing SP unlockables is fucking unacceptable... I have no words (except those and the words I'm using now to describe this).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
If I'm correct, PS3 games are usually huge as the data storage size of BluRays means developers can basically forgo compressing all the assets and leave everything raw and in highest quality right on the disk. That and if the pre-rendered video is of high quality it would take up a pretty substantial amount of space.

Uncompressed audio is something of a rarity outside of Sony's first-party stable. Most multiplatform titles are similar in size to their X360 counterparts. For example, here are the comparative sizes of a few recent multiplatform titles (taken from a cursory Usenet search and thus are inclusive of PARs, the amount of which varies depending on the particular post):

Batman: Arkham City (PS3): ~8.07GB
Batman: Arkham City (X360): ~8.46GB

Driver: San Francisco (PS3): ~8.64GB
Driver: San Francisco (X360): ~8.79GB

Rage (PS3): ~19.49GB
Rage (X360): ~24.4GB

(Rage is larger on the X360 I think because every X360 disc must be filled to the maximum allotted space, regardless of how big the actual game is. If this policy sounds familiar, it's because Nintendo ask the same of Wii games.)

On the other side of the fence, here are a few PS3 exclusives without 3D cutscenes:

Heavenly Sword: ~20.05GB
Resistance 2: ~27.07GB
God of War 3: ~39.47GB

Edit: I ignored the previous Uncharted games since their use of uncompressed audio is well known.

Callibretto said:
wait, when you mean changing to specific weapon in the wrong chapters, do you mean weapon cheats is still there, but you can't use them for trophy hunting now?
no, the weapon cheats are just gone entirely

Ac2eIGyCMAEb-8L.jpg:large

Pretty awesome so far, reminds me a lot of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Jason Statham lookalike is awesome by the way.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Patapwn said:
Removing SP unlockables is fucking unacceptable... I have no words (except those and the words I'm using now to describe this).

I was actually looking forward to seeing what they were this time around, even though I didn't make a ton of use of them in UC2. It's really the principle of the thing. Why remove something that has been a part of the series? How hard could it have been to implement for a 3rd time? It's fucking inexcusable, and while I'm still eagerly awaiting the game's arrival on Tuesday, this is a downer.

What the fuck, Naughty Dog?

rhino4evr

Playing the entire game with unlimited ammo magnum was one shot kills was amazing, going to miss that.

Also what about all the cool guns you could unlock that you used only once or not at all like the NPC and different characters guns?

Well I'm glad I found out about this before playing, I should be over the disappointment by next week hopefully.

Zoibie

WrathOfOtaibah said:
http://p.twimg.com/Ac2eIGyCMAEb-8L.jpg:large[IMG]

Pretty awesome so far, reminds me a lot of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Jason Statham lookalike is awesome by the way.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, is the PSN orb printed on the boxart or an actual sticker like on Resistance 3?

A.R.K

Grisby said:
No unlockable stuff, filters, costumes, etc?

What a shame.

that is such a disappointment because U1 and U2 gave the game so much more replaybility because of these options. I was expecting even more of this in U3. Guess they didn't have extra time to do this stuff. But still am disappoint ND.

U2 > U3 confirmed! :(

rhino4evr

Really starting to sound like they just made deadline on this and didn't have time for the "extras"...maybe the "game of the year" edition will include them?

That 3/10 from Eurogamer is starting to become more and more justified every second.

I never ever rewatch cutscenes so I don't really care

Top Bottom