• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

A quality franchise will never have a clear cut favourite game among the fans, hell a lot of people favour U1 over U2. I expect a lot of people to prefer U2 to U3 and vice versa, with some U1 fanboys sprinkled in between.

Ricky_R

Wario64 said:
Not sure if people knew this but FemShep is the multiplayer announcer in Uncharted 3

And yet, after two betas, there is still no way to shut her up. I know my kickback is available -- I can see it on the fucking screen!

EloquentM said:
I'm sure all that stuff will end up getting patched over time.

Yeah, like the two near-end freezes in the previous two games that were never patched: Running in the tunnel from the slippery naked guys; and after the big 3-way fight before the Cintamani Stone.

It's weird how I never got those freezes on my 1st playthrough but have gotten them nearly every time after that, and I've played through each around 20 times.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Does that really prove the content is on the disc? I'm not really sure what the writer means by "preview of the item." (Because it's a bad article on an amateur-hour blog.)

If he's talking about the MP skins, they are locked when you highlight them but are still visible, meaning the models are on the disc.

Which also means the 3 skin packs that are going to be released are just the U1/U2/Donut/Skeleton stuff that should be available right from the fucking start.

I hope I'm wrong...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
RyanardoDaVinci said:
And yet, after two betas, there is still no way to shut her up. I know my kickback is available -- I can see it on the fucking screen!

Yeah, like the two near-end freezes in the previous two games that were never patched: Running in the tunnel from the slippery naked guys; and after the big 3-way fight before the Cintamani Stone.

It's weird how I never got those freezes on my 1st playthrough but have gotten them nearly every time after that, and I've played through each around 20 times.

If he's talking about the MP skins, they are locked when you highlight them but are still visible, meaning the models are on the disc.

Which also means the 3 skin packs that are going to be released are just the U1/U2/Donut/Skeleton stuff that should be available right from the fucking start.

I hope I'm wrong...
I only got it once.

edit: lol you sound really bitter

I'm really surprised that the cheats broke the game - ordinarily things like weapon spawning, infinite ammo, etc. are so useful and integral for playtesting that they're in there right from the start.

arne

Wario64 said:
Cool, there's 5 co-op adventure maps this time. Wished we could play online right now

And they're all tied together by a narrative thread too. They're not 5 separate adventures.

Loudninja

Wario64 said:
I liked the combat, even if it's almost QTE in nature. Someone earlier mentioned it felt sorta like Batman and I agree. Not exactly like Batman but there are instances where it'll remind you of it.

I thought the game was as good as Uncharted 2, maybe slightly better. Not 10/10 better, but I really liked the game still. It's hard to compare though cause the jump from Uncharted 1 to 2 was a big jump IMO and had a lasting impression on me. I knew that it was gonna tough to follow UC2's act no matter what. But still some amazing set pieces, the story was decent, dialogue seemed much funnier this time. I don't think I laughed that much in the previous ones. I don't think this game is my GOTY though (that's still Portal 2 and I believe that game is perfection). But it's up there for sure. They did a few new things in UC3 this time and I liked what they added.
Sounds great, thanks for the impressions :)

Aeonin

arne said:
And they're all tied together by a narrative thread too. They're not 5 separate adventures.

Whoa. I got my three brothers to get in on this game for the shared co-op experience, this just sounds like it got awesomer(tm).

Desiato

At chapter 11 now and loving the game so far. One problem though: when I want to activate my online pass, it says my code is invalid. Is this because the game isn't officially out yet, or am I screwed?

Loudninja

Desiato said:
At chapter 11 now and loving the game so far. One problem though: when I want to activate my online pass, it says my code is invalid. Is this because the game isn't officially out yet, or am I screwed?
No its not up yet.

watching the giantbomb QuickLook and disappointed to see there is auto aim in single player.

in U1 and U2 there was only auto aim when you played on the crazy easy difficulty

Plus the obvious blind fire / hip fire Auto aim in the multiplayer makes me a sad puppy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RyanardoDaVinci said:

I got the freeze when running from Gollum and his family, but didn't get any freeze in UC2 before the stone.

BTW, what happened with 1.05 since all MPlayers seem to be bitter about it?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Represent. said:
Sweet. So its a completely different/seperate mini story?

Judging by the small glimpse I had of chapter 1 co-op, looks like it's based on events in
Uncharted 2

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Yamibito said:
WHAT, mine still says processing D:
Heh, I got excited a little too soon... :p Just got an email that said they have taken out money and shopto only does when they are about to dispatch, checked the site and for some reason they are processing orders 3 days early, the game would be dispatched on 31st.

Ah well... :'( few more days.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Wario64 said:
Cool, there's 5 co-op adventure maps this time. Wished we could play online right now
5 is still not a lot, I was hoping for 10. :( I hope they do co-op adventure DLCs unlike UC2.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
mysticwhip said:
Wait, you can't change skins in singleplayer? WHAT

It's been explained (by Arne, community manager) that all the cheats/skins have been removed from single player due to causing too many bugs.

Some people seem to have accepted this excuse immediately but I remain skeptical about the skins part at least.

Combichristoffersen said:
I got the freeze when running from Gollum and his family, but didn't get any freeze in UC2 before the stone.

I don't know what causes it, but the freeze in U2 happens right after the 3-way fight between you, the mercs, and the guardians; you can stay in there all day and nothing will happen, but as soon as the last guardian dies, you have about 20sec before is freezes -- doesn't matter if I stand around or run up the stairs. I'd say it's happened to me 90% of the time.

It's not my system either, as it's happened on mine and my brother's.

Combichristoffersen said:
BTW, what happened with 1.05 since all MPlayers seem to be bitter about it?

In an attempt to appeal to the casuals (i.e. people that can't aim), they basically made everyone giant walking heads by removing hitboxes. Getting shot in the foot did as much damage as a headshot -- which wasn't a 1 hit kill (4-5 on average) but it was much less than before (with the AK, 7 to the chest, up to 12-14 for the limbs).

That turned the game into Uncharted 2: Among Campers because nobody wanted to venture out into the level or you'd be dead before you could raise your gun. Plunder was absolutely ruined, turning into a 20min TDM with a shiny gold idol to look at.

What's the status of multiplayer balance? It's gotten better since the subway thing began but it still rewards spray-pray-punch more than aiming. Is ND happy with this or can we expect further tweaks? I haven't seen any news out of them about it, but I may have missed it.

arne said:
Those game modifying unlockables kept breaking the game no matter what we tried to make it all stable. We have been pushing the engine really hard this time around, and some sequences - cruise ship comes to mind - were especially challenging.

I ain't even mad.

The fact that the game is what it is with only a 2 year development cycle is pretty unbelievable if you think about it.

Just keep listening to
gaf's
fan feedback regarding to multiplayer, keep making those little tiny tweaks until the mp is perfect and I will probably have zero complaints whatsoever about the game. Oh, and get dedicated servers for UC4 =)

Desiato said:
Mine worked :)

I'm torn about this game. The enviorment, characters, script, and platforming are top notch and a ton of fun.

And then I have to shoot and it falls apart to the most agonizing and controller throw-inducing combat shooter out there.

I'll keep on through, but its def. wanes by patience throughout the game whenever I end up in a shooting arena

Ricky_R

Phoenixazure said:
I'm torn about this game. The enviorment, characters, script, and platforming are top notch and a ton of fun.

And then I have to shoot and it falls apart to the most agonizing and controller throw-inducing combat shooter out there.

I'll keep on through, but its def. wanes by patience throughout the game whenever I end up in a shooting arena

Seriously? I mean, is it that different from UC1 and 2? I had no problems at all with the gunplay in the first 2 games. Then again... I adapt easily.

Not saying you don't of course.

Believe it or not, after the July beta I was far more hyped for Uncharted 3’s multiplayer than I was for the single player.

I went and pre-ordered immediately after the beta ended, and the only thing on my mind while paying for the game was “holy fuck dat mp.” Sp didn’t even come to my mind.

The terrible changes made in the Subway beta put a huge damper on this of course. But I still give ND credit for at least striving for excellence in both sp and mp, where a lot of games only bother trying to get SP right and tack on the rest, or vice versa.

Phoenixazure said:

This is the first complaint I've read from either critic or gamer that complains about the gunplay.

Anyone else who is playing feel the same way as phoenix?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
How much time has passed between UC2 and 3? Sully and Drake look a lot older, and Elena looks weird. Other than a couple trailers, I'm pretty much going blind into this game. Haven't played any multi either.

Rengoku

Fuck yeah! Weekend saved!
de3za.jpg

arne

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It's been explained (by Arne, community manager) that all the cheats/skins have been removed from single player due to causing too many bugs.

Some people seem to have accepted this excuse immediately but I remain skeptical about the skins part at least.

As I mentioned in a follow-up, it wasn't just the actual unlockables/modifications, but the system that enabled us to do so started to be problematic. That's why it was all cut instead of just non-cosmetic changes. It was definitely a difficult decision to make.

arne said:
As I mentioned in a follow-up, it wasn't just the actual unlockables/modifications, but the system that enabled us to do so started to be problematic. That's why it was all cut instead of just non-cosmetic changes. It was definitely a difficult decision to make.
Any chance it could get patched in at a later date? I know you're going to say "no," but I have to ask.

Too many good games too soon. On Tuesday I'll head to target to pickup Uncharted, Sonic, and Batman. And I'm getting RAGE from gamefly probably by tomorrow. Wish I had something good to play this weekend before getting bombarded next week.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bone_and_sinew said:
How much time has passed between UC2 and 3? Sully and Drake look a lot older, and Elena looks weird. Other than a couple trailers, I'm pretty much going blind into this game. Haven't played any multi either.
Well judging by 1 line of dialogue, it sounds like the Uncharted series occurs in real time (as in, Drake Fortune events happened literally 4 years ago). Unless I misinterpreted the one scene I'm talking about. Would help if I could rewatch the cutscenes. Fix this shit Guerilla!

Top Bottom