• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

EloquentM

aka Mannny
BruiserBear said:
Let me guess, you're one of those people who has already spoiled this entire game for yourself, because you think nothing of spoiling anything prior to seeing it.

Yes, it's a discussion thread, but discussion includes helping others with the game who get stuck, impressions of the game for prospective buyers, etc.

People should be able to visit a thread like this without fearing they're going to have a major secret thrown right in their face. It is not too much to ask that people spoiler tag major plot points of a game like this. It's a common courtesy of game discussion.
you're pretty insightful. I haven't spoiled the entirety but yeah I pretty much don't care otherwise. I see where you and the other people are coming from (digression: In fact I argued that it was very courteous of people who had already played the game to place spoiler tags for everyone else), but I just feel like its counter productive to what I believe an official thread to be.

I think an official thread should definitely include discussion of the plot (and i can understand how this doesn't bode well for people when the game isn't even out yet). being that as it may I'm glad you took the time to explain other people's standpoints of what this thread means to them.

notworksafe

BruiserBear said:
People should be able to visit a thread like this without fearing they're going to have a major secret thrown right in their face. It is not too much to ask that people spoiler tag major plot points of a game like this. It's a common courtesy of game discussion.
Agreed. It is too much to ask that people don't even post spoilers inside of spoiler tags though. The people asking for that are being ridiculous.

Salz01

arne said:
Those game modifying unlockables kept breaking the game no matter what we tried to make it all stable. We have been pushing the engine really hard this time around, and some sequences - cruise ship comes to mind - were especially challenging.

But why take out player skin swap? I loved that in single player. Even if the voices didn't match.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
delorean.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Loudninja said:
So Wario what are you overall impressions?Did you like the hand to hand combat?

I liked the combat, even if it's almost QTE in nature. Someone earlier mentioned it felt sorta like Batman and I agree. Not exactly like Batman but there are instances where it'll remind you of it.

I thought the game was as good as Uncharted 2, maybe slightly better. Not 10/10 better, but I really liked the game still. It's hard to compare though cause the jump from Uncharted 1 to 2 was a big jump IMO and had a lasting impression on me. I knew that it was gonna tough to follow UC2's act no matter what. But still some amazing set pieces, the story was decent, dialogue seemed much funnier this time. I don't think I laughed that much in the previous ones. I don't think this game is my GOTY though (that's still Portal 2 and I believe that game is perfection). But it's up there for sure. They did a few new things in UC3 this time and I liked what they added.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Salz01 said:
But why take out player skin swap? I loved that in single player. Even if the voices didn't match.

arne said:
It was all part of the same "system" in a way. Being able to change a lot of things around in a way that wasn't part of the main game started to pile up bugs and break the game, it wasn't just a physics thing or mirrorworld.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Any GAFfers still playing UC2 online? I'm pretty sure I'd be shit at it, but I'd still like to try out the MP just for shits and giggles, without getting some PMs in my inbox calling me a fag (which I got the one single time I tried playing OutRun Online Arcade online :lol )

darkwing

Steve McQueen said:
Just got a call that the Explorer Edition is ready and that I can pick it up first thing in the morning. I'm f**kin'pumped!

be sure to post your impressions on the buckle and ring

ZeroRay

Shame about the feature set being toned down. UC2's extras and lengthy campaign made it seem like an awesome throwback to last gen.

Seems like the 2 year dev cycle is really coming down on ND now. Oh well, priorities.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
ZeroRay said:
Shame about the feature set being toned down. UC2's extras and lengthy campaign made it seem like an awesome throwback to last gen.

Seems like the 2 year dev cycle is really coming down on ND now. Oh well, priorities.
I had no idea adding so many extras would cause bugs to happen =/. I guess I had never considered the kind of toll it takes on the engine.

EloquentM said:
I had no idea adding so many extras would cause bugs to happen =/. I guess I had never considered the kind of toll it takes on the engine.

Everything causes bugs to happen. It's just a matter of priorities. If I had to guess, I'd bet they planned on including such stuff all along, but the deadline was nearing and making sure the game had less bugs was more important than including that stuff.

Naughty Dog is one developer I would never accuse of "being lazy", or not trying hard enough. If they didn't include stuff I'm confident there was a good reason.

KingK

Combichristoffersen said:
Any GAFfers still playing UC2 online? I'm pretty sure I'd be shit at it, but I'd still like to try out the MP just for shits and giggles, without getting some PMs in my inbox calling me a fag (which I got the one single time I tried playing OutRun Online Arcade online :lol )

I haven't played it in a long time, but I might pop it in this weekend. I've been replaying the campaign of UC2 this week.

Feel free to add me (King_KDawgg)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
BruiserBear said:
Everything causes bugs to happen. It's just a matter of priorities. If I had to guess, I'd bet they planned on including such stuff all along, but the deadline was nearing and making sure the game had less bugs was more important than including that stuff.

Naughty Dog is one developer I would never accuse of "being lazy", or not trying hard enough. If they didn't include stuff I'm confident there was a good reason.
that is what happened lol. Arne just confirmed it on the last page.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did anyone comment about the video encoding quality in cutscenes yet? Are they better or worse looking in terms of encoding if you play in 3D?

BruiserBear said:

Plus they had to fix that "epic bug" that fucked up the game on earlier PS3 models very near to Gold .

spats

arne said:
Those game modifying unlockables kept breaking the game no matter what we tried to make it all stable. We have been pushing the engine really hard this time around, and some sequences - cruise ship comes to mind - were especially challenging.

I'll accept that as a valid reason. :p

Might try to go hunt for a copy tomorrow...

UrbanRats

arne said:
Thanks for the clarifications. :)
Although the issue still stands for me, ofcourse.

Gvaz said:
Can you change the images in the OP to be transparent? I'm not using the default gaf theme
It's kind of the bane of doing the OT. Doing transparent PNG's would fix the problem but would also bloat the image size to almost 3 times that of jpegs

rhino4evr

Happy the developer cleared up the issues with the extra content. It's not worth breaking the game, and by the way this game looks I can understand why it would.

Grisby

darkwing said:
I remember playing the demo/beta co-op level that was released a couple of months before the game. Going through that Nepal level I knew UC2 was gonna be something special.

protonion

And done!

It took me 8:25 hours. 761 kills, 8500 bullets fired and 49/100 treasures found. I didn't bother looking for them (I'll do another playthrough for them), but I was surprised to see I missed so many.

The highlight for me was Chapter 20. I couldn't believe what I was playing.
And generally all the epic set-pieces will not be topped for a while.

One minor complaint I have is the AI. Sometimes enemies behaved like they didn't know what to do. I think it's because in U3 many areas are a lot more open and allow many different approaches. Maybe they game cannot handle them all well.

Easy goty so far for me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
protonion said:
And done!

It took me 8:25 hours. 761 kills, 8500 bullets fired and 49/100 treasures found. I didn't bother looking for them (I'll do another playthrough for them), but I was surprised to see I missed so many.

One minor complaint I have is the AI. Sometimes enemies behaved like they didn't know what to do. I think it's because in U3 many areas are a lot more open and allow many different approaches. Maybe they game cannot handle them all well.

Easy goty so far for me.
thanks great impression! what difficulty were you playing?

Pranay

protonion said:
And done!

Easy goty so far for me.

Sounds good

Samus4145

protonion said:
And done!

Easy goty so far for me.

I had the same AI issues. I was hiding behind a crate and an enemy came running and hid right next to me. Had me laughing so hard.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
LowEndTorque said:
regarding the unlockables... don't know if this has already been posted plus I'm unworthy of making threads anyways so I'll post it here

"Uncharted 3 May Have Day 1 DLC Already on the Disc"

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/10/27/uncharted-3-may-have-day-one-dlc-already-on-the-disc/

The evidence offered for this conclusion is:

The issue here is that when you highlight one of the selections available, you’re actually met with a preview of the item. In other words… it’s already on the disc.

Does that really prove the content is on the disc? I'm not really sure what the writer means by "preview of the item." (Because it's a bad article on an amateur-hour blog.)

Top Bottom