• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Labadal

I have been playing FFTA2 lately. I should not have started it at this busy time of the year. My backlog will grow even more. Creating items is my new addiction. Only big complaint so far is the inability to rotate the camera during battle. Completed only 30 quests so far.

I find the soldiers' dialogue about X-Death cute:

Soldier: I hate him!!!
Soldier: That jerk!
Soldier: I'm so mad at him!!!

LOL that is kind of charming in a way.

I have been playing FF V from PSN as well. Just got to Karnak. Don't even want to think how many times I have been through this game since 1993 to present. Hasn't gotten old yet.

Roto13

I have been playing FFTA2 lately. I should not have started it at this busy time of the year. My backlog will grow even more. Creating items is my new addiction. Only big complaint so far is the inability to rotate the camera during battle. Completed only 30 quests so far.

FFTA2 is one of the few games I've played for a hundred hours on one save file. Such a huge improvement over Tactics Advance (which I did like).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFV's monsters are kinda funny too:

Y Burn (Wyvren I think)
Bald Money
Succubus... But the sprite is obviously a green dragon

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ok...

How the fuck do I kill Neo X-Death.

Edit: Oh fuck it
I did the Mix/Blessing Kiss bug to kill him.

Ok...

How the fuck do I kill Neo X-Death.

Edit: Oh fuck it
I did the Mix/Blessing Kiss bug to kill him.

Or you could have just tossed coins at him. That always works.

Just reached crescent isle and got the Black Chocobo myself. I am so sick of everything before the second world and am trying to rush through as fast as possible.

ULTROS!

I tried that (Faris and Bartz were my tossers) but I died quickly due to UltraGust and GrandCross.

I'm level 36 by the way.

Roto13

Bangaa are pretty tough but they're so slooowwwww and there are some optional missions where that will totally screw you up.

Labadal

Bangaa are pretty tough but they're so slooowwwww and there are some optional missions where that will totally screw you up.

Oh, really? I only have two of them, so I can use other characters if there is any need for that. I have two randoms of each race so far. I can see how slow characters can screw you over in later missions, but I'm digging them at the moment. I just love the White monk abilites.

Roto13

Yeah. Really, you can offset their speed problem in those missions with autohaste accessories or possibly Haste time magic if you have any, especially if you have MP Channeling. (Which you should, because it's the best Clan Privilege.)

ULTROS!

No. FFVI is much more awesomer.

Also X.

PK Gaming

FFVI is so overrated :9

Watch in a few years it will become the new "FFVII"

PS: I wish my dad would play FF again. He tried it a few years ago and gave up. If he finished it, he'd be like dad of the fucking year right there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I generally dislike ranking games because there are parts of them I like and then there are parts of them that I dislike. So I usually like to put them in categories instead! :D

I ranked my games in this loooooooong post, and a lot of it hasn't changed: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31672412&postcount=276. The "Best Soundtracks" category has shifted, though. I'd read the text in the post instead.

I'll just quote the categories of that post:
Favourites with regards to battle system/ability system: FFV, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII (and I liked FFIX's way of distributing abilities as well)

Favourites with regards to narrative and/or overall presentation: FFIX, FFVI, FFII (ports/remakes)

Great presentation: FFX, FFXII, FFXIII, the PS1 FFs

-Actually here, I should have gone into more depth about FFX's background art because I think it's gorgeous. Naora is amazing.

Favourites to play on a rainy day: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, FFIV, FFVII

Indifferent towards (this does not mean I dislike them): FFIII, FFXIII, FFI remakes/ports

Dislike: Vanilla (NES) FFI.

Best remake: FFIV DS for the Augment system, localization and extra scenarios.

Best Spinoffs: Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden / Final Fantasy: The 4 Warriors of Light and Final Fantasy Tactics

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FFVI isn't the best FF game. It is the best game ever.
I disagree. Genso Suikoden II is the best game ever
to me

Chrono Trigger comes after that, then Majora's Mask, then Mother 3, then Fire Emblem 4, then Genso Suikoden, then Genso Suikoden V, then Sonic 3 & Knuckles, then Yoshi's Island and SMB 3, then... uh...

I'll get back to you on that. Opinions, opinions. :p

ULTROS!

I'll copy Dark Schala's format:

Favourites with regards to battle system/ability system: FFXIII

Favourites with regards to narrative and/or overall presentation: FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, FFX

Great presentation: FFVIII, FFX, FFXIII

Favourites to play on a rainy day: FFIX, FFX

Indifferent towards (this does not mean I dislike them): FFXII (leaning towards dislike), FFI, FFV, FFII

Dislike: FFIII (NDS).

Best remake: FFIV PSP because of the fastforward option and the inclusion of TAY.

Best Spinoffs: FFVII: Crisis Core

to me

You and me, bro
sis
. :D

to me

Chrono Trigger comes after that, then Majora's Mask, then Mother 3, then Fire Emblem 4, then Genso Suikoden, then Genso Suikoden V, then Sonic 3 & Knuckles, then Yoshi's Island and SMB 3, then... uh...

Your taste is grand. I'll contemplate making a list later. No FF6 though. NEVER AGAIN.

EDIT: Too lazy/considerate to double post (take your pick). The picks will be out of order, so don't put any thought into why one is ahead of the other.

Favourites with regards to battle system/ability system: FFTactics/WotL, FF7, FF5

Favourites with regards to narrative and/or overall presentation: FF8, FF9

Great presentation: FF9, WotL

Favourites to play on a rainy day: WotL, FF9, FF8, FF7

Indifferent towards (this does not mean I dislike them): All excluding FF5, 7-10

Dislike: FF6, FF4

Best remake: WotL, FF5

Best Spinoffs: Crisis Core

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You and me, bro
sis
. :D
upSTm.gif

And oh my God, I need this like I need oxygen--they're finally releasing the Genso Suikoden Soundtrack Box close to the release of Centennial Tapestry.

I don't care if I have some of the soundtracks already. I need it.

Your taste is grand.

Dislike: FF4
:D

...And I've gotta hear the reasoning behind this one. :p Edit: LOL, I bet it's the fake death stuff that constantly happens in the game. The story can be so atrocious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
F2dgg.gif
I'mma jump off the airship and bomb the area so you guys can escape and it'll somehow close off the area to the upper world! I dunno how that works, but it will!

eXtyg.gif
Bye guys! Take care of Rosa, Cecil!

*jumps off airship, doesn't really die*
iFioY.gif

fLQi2.gif
Nooo, Ciiiid! Why oh why did he have to die? Well, let's get his assistants to give us a crane or something.

*goes through tower, steals airship, comes back to castle*

Cu2Dk.gif
CID! YOU'RE ALIVE! Good, go fix my airship!

*Cid fixes it, then dialogue, then he stops responding*
ujloF.gif

fLQi2.gif
Oh no, Cid's dea--

*Cid snores*

DEknG.gif
Oh. Ok. Bye.

ULTROS!

YBurn-ffv.gif

A wild Y Burn appears!

how can beef hate FF4 and FF6? so sad.

anyone saying that FF7 has the best story is pretty lol though.

I can't tolerate FF6, but I absolutely hate 4. It's odd, since Golbez is one of my favorite characters in Dissidia. *shrug*

And I never understood or appreciated FF7's story until I played Crisis Core. Of course, things got mucked up by all the Genesis nonsense, but I was only really interested in Zack's backstory and the Nibelheim Incident.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It all started with Leviathan. Yang's death was my favourite.

Cu2Dk.gif
We've gotta stop the cannons!

6XHUL.gif
We won't let you get in the way!

*battle against cannon fodder*

6XHUL.gif
Can't... go on... oh wait, we can! *presses button* Gahaha! We're evil!

Cu2Dk.gif
Aw no, the monsters blew up the controls for the cannons.

cSDF1.gif
I'll stop them!

7QgEJ.gif
Huh? Oh cool, they taught you how to stop computer-operated cannons when you were a traitor to us, eh Yang? Wait, how does this cannon even work? Where did all of this technology come fr--

dexP3.gif
Logic? In my Final Fantasy? No. Accept everything at face value!

AUpQo.gif
Get outta here, Cecil!

tRkS8.gif
ZJeCp.gif
vt3c8.gif
X0c9m.gif
*pushes all the party members out of the door with MONK POWER*

kUKSG.gif
Noooo, Yang! Why oh why did you have to die...? I mean, I thought he died before, and then he was evil, but there's no way he could survive anything like that!

*goes to Sylph caves; sees dead unconscious Yang in a house full of Navis*
ptem9.gif

*goes to Yang's house*

FdVye.gif
Yang's unconscious? Hit him with a frying pan! That oughta cure him!

Cu2Dk.gif
Wait. Wha? ok...

*hits Yang with frying pan*

Cu2Dk.gif
Yang! You're alive! And you're not evil this time. That's cool. Come join the party.

ptem9.gif
Er... how about no? I think I've had enough of these fake deaths. Navi can join you instead.

lID77.gif
^_________^

And that is how Rydia came to be friends with Navi, and how you get the spoon knife.

YBurn-ffv.gif

A wild Y Burn appears!
It looks like a Y, and dragons burn things, so the correct translation must be Y-Burn!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hey to be fair people started dying for real after ff4 though.
(don't remember if people died in FF1/2/3)
People actually die in FFII.

Minwu dies when he breaks the seal on the Ultima Tome.
Josef dies when he's blocking a giant boulder from hitting the party and is crushed by it.
Ricard Highwind dies while fighting the Dark Emperor.
Prince Scott dies while defending Fynn Castle during the siege by the Empire.

I like FFII.

I stopped playing 4 after those stupid twins turned to stone. I actually said "fuck this shit," threw my hands in the air and turned the game off.
You don't like Palom and Porom?

Bwidn.gif
Z1VFO.gif

ULTROS!

You should make more FF sprite comics, Dark Schala. :p

Too bad I don't really recall any stupid moments in FFV and FFVI.

PK Gaming

You should make more FF sprite comics, Dark Schala. :p

Too bad I don't really recall any stupid moments in FFV and FFVI.

The entire confrontation with Kefka at the magitek factory during the save Terra arc. The way Celes acts doesn't make a lick of sense and she could easily tell Locke her side of the story. She decides to run away though...

Also the opera scene. A good scene of its own, years of fan wank have overrated its importance, and made it a sour spot from me. Other than that the entirety of FFVI's story was pretty solid.

FFV's story was jokish and really shouldn't be taken seriously. Faris water dragon (Syldra) dying on didn't make much sense to me.

Roto13

hey to be fair people started dying for real after ff4 though.
(don't remember if people died in FF1/2/3)

The GBA version of Final Fantasy II actually has an extra sidestory that shows what happens to all of the characters who die in the afterlife.

People who dislike Final Fantasy VI either have bad taste or are too young for retro games. And people who dislike Final Fantasy XII just have bad taste.

to me

Dammit .. DO YOU ENJOY HAVING The Same TASTES as me ?

Or is it the opposite ?

FFV's story was jokish and really shouldn't be taken seriously. Faris water dragon (Syldra) dying on didn't make much sense to me.
But galuf ... galuf died

PK Gaming

How could I forget! One of the most memorable main character video games of the early 90s :(

Still, you had the admit the game was lighthearted in nature and it didn't take itself too seriously for the majority of the game. Thats what I loved about FFV (that and its hilarious dialogue)

Also I think I gave people the wrong impression with my comment (FFV is my 3rd favorite FF of all time)

FF5 is my favorite FF.

Galuf passing the torch was excellent ... But FF5 knew how to not take itself seriously BUT had lots of serious moments . Faris leona have a bunch a scenes where they sort their issues and problem , not counting galuf "situation" ... It's that bit of sillyness that made it great ...Except gilgamesh

It's also possible that FF6 simply becomes unbearable once you get to the WoR.

There is not much difference when you get into the world of ruin , on a gameplay perspective than before , especially when you get the 4th character. It's the most open recruiting part of any FF game , since you can forget any character you don't want if you wish ...
Disliking the game for the last part seems "weird" ? Most of the game is already done and there is no real reason to dislike it. ( if it was enjoyable before )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, Beef's old thread about it did include some fair points.

Dammit .. DO YOU ENJOY HAVING The Same TASTES as me ?

Or is it the opposite ?
LOL, Suikoden should be appreciated by everyone. :D

And I didn't start getting into Tales games until halfway through university, so there's that. I don't know why I didn't start playing them before.

Top Bottom