• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2012 Edition

Bgamer90

Banned
This looks dangerous. Receivers generate a ton of heat and need ventilation.

Yeah I definitely wish I could open things up more but (as you can see) I'm pretty crammed for space. Due to that, I carved a rectangular hole into the back half of the part that's keeping the games up (and separating them from being on top of the receiver). The carved rectangular hole is behind the stack of games and is right above the receiver's vents. I did it for ventilation.

But yeah, my receiver gets a bit warm but it never has gotten real hot.

Mohonky

6587692457_55b1450e7f_b.jpg

Nice sub my man, very nice.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, this is just a case of different tastes as none of that matches to me. The PS3 looks out of place to me. The normal slim version would look better there in my opinion.

Nothing is supposed to "match". It's a bunch of black stuff with one white thing in the middle. The speakers in the back are black too. Wasn't saying I was going for a specific look, simply that having one very nice looking piece of equipment in the middle of boring dark stuff stands out. In the case of your phat, if you were going for the everything is supposed to match thing, I simply thought the shape/size of the phat as well as the gaudy chrome kind of threw the balance off compared to a black slim or preferably a blue or red one or Lightning version 2. ANYWAY, right, just different tastes. Thanks for the comments!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Love the original PS phat. It's kind of opulent, but that's part of the charm.

monome

What projector are you planning to run?

Also is that your iMac and normal pannel tv on the floor?

Already have one, see upper left corner of second pic. It's a Sanyo Z4000. it's ok but no lens shift and no 3D means I'll get a new one when PS720 comes out.
But even without lens shift it actually uses all the space of the screen, made some nice calculations there.

iMac 27" on the floor.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love collecting all different kinds of Yoshi's... what material is it :)?

Buttons

Nothing really new expect the pictures. Can't really think of anything that i should get or upgrade.........maybe a bigger tv
dsc00077xk.jpg

dsc09786r.jpg

I just went through the pages again and just saw your post, I absolutely love your setup. Brown is one of my favourite colours and I love how you set everything up. And that wooden floor is gorgeous. *__*

And wow at the posts above me, all those action figures and toys. :O While I myself could never collect so many toys I think it's really awesome. It really shows dedication.
It reminds me of many of the random little stores in Akihabara, the ones where you can just browse for hours and look at all the figures and games displayed. :D

Bgamer90

Banned
Very funny to see some people (like mtommy) who I knew from old setup threads on other game forums back 5-6 years ago. Didn't catch it until I read the recent posts.

I guess we just really like setup threads :)

purg3

slept with Malkin
·feist·;33937845 said:
Is this wall an appliqué, or something to that effect?

I'm pretty sure it is, at least that's what I think he said in one of the previous year's threads. It's a really nice look.

Hellish

tumblr_lojul1hoB91qgzuxc.jpg

You sir, have made me feel like a peasant, i am not worthy.

Seriously though, what is your occupation if you don't mind my asking?

It didn't really cost all that much, most of the money was from just working 4 months over my summer break from school, I worked in a payroll and accounts department with no real title other than "summer student", but then was called back in for 4 months following summer.

Lots of upgrades may be going down as they may be calling me back for another 4 months of part time before I start full time again next summer.

JEKKI

oh hellz yeay~!!! I wanna post my setup too! check it:

0nlQk.jpg

I dont own a couch or something to sit on so I game by my bed. It's real cool coz I can make myself real comfy with pillows and also use the blanket to keep me warm!

vk58s.jpg

my TV only does mono sound, so I hooked up some external speakers to it to make it stereo sound!! That's real smart IMO. I also bought a drawers type of thing to elevate the TV so I dont have to look down on it and hurt my neck like how I used to happen.

3V1V4.jpg

and the thing I really like about the drawers thing is u can also put things inside of it like a drawer! It gives me a place to keep by games in!!

so yeah it may not be the most high tech or HD setup ever, but IMO it has heart and soul which is what I have so it works out for me well!

Ironmask

oh hellz yeay~!!! I wanna post my setup too! check it:

3V1V4.jpg

and the thing I really like about the drawers thing is u can also put things inside of it like a drawer! It gives me a place to keep by games in!!

so yeah it may not be the most high tech or HD setup ever, but IMO it has heart and soul which is what I have so it works out for me well!

that Commodore monitor is so awesome! it accepts RGB only right?

GlamFM

Banned
Here is my living room setup. My new additions since the last setup is a new AV receiver, sideboard cabinet, and Harmony 1100 Remote (touchscreen). I will be replacing the TV later this year.

rDLlo.jpg

Ayk6P.jpg

N9Jts.jpg

2lLha.jpg

Denon AVR-891, Cable Box, Wii, 360, Apple TV and PS3. All hooked up using RF to IR repeaters for Harmony remote controller so I can leave the entertainment stand closed the entire time (thus why the cables aren't clean / organized behind as you can't see them ever):

SImuZ.jpg

Just as I often get the questions in PMs. Both the coffee table and entertainment stand are discontinued (at least in Canada and US, possibly not in Europe) Ikea furniture. The entertainment stand is called Friel.

Lower the TV 20 cm and you´re golden.

Some of you guys must hate your AV receivers. Never have I seen so many people cover the vents or crammed them into tight spaces, Jesus.

Gritesh

My setup downstairs:

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

I did all the work myself from an outdated wood paneled room with a really old fashion bar in it to what you see now. I'm pretty happy with it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My setup downstairs:

IMG_0110.jpg

I did all the work myself from an outdated wood paneled room with a really old fashion bar in it to what you see now. I'm pretty happy with it.
Absolutely awesome. Brilliant work.

Put up a Jack Tretton poster or two and you'd have the clean Sony version of the Gahiggidy Nintendo lair. :p

stldave2

Terrible time of day to take a pic (tons of glare before noon) but you get the idea. Mostly the same as last year except new components and lots of additional content.

2012gamingsetup.jpg

btf1980

Terrible time of day to take a pic (tons of glare before noon) but you get the idea. Mostly the same as last year except new components and lots of additional content.

2012gamingsetup.jpg

I'm assuming the speakers in the cabinet are a compromise due to space. It should would sound better on the floor. Looks like you have enough floor space for them.

Also, what reel to reel deck is that on the right?

Here's an Otari MX5050 at a buddy's place. It sounds great.

6152439286_436b807919_b.jpg

stldave2

I'm assuming the speakers in the cabinet are a compromise due to space. It should would sound better on the floor. Looks like you have enough floor space for them.

Also, what reel to reel deck is that on the right?

Here's an Otari MX5050 at a buddy's place. It sounds great.

6152439286_436b807919_b.jpg

That one in particular is a Revox A-77. I have a bunch of decks as I have a pretty large library of older recordings that still sound great (assuming I don't have to bake them). Ampex, Revox, Teac, Tandberg, Sony, Roberts, etc.

As far as the speaker placement goes... sometimes you have to make some performance concessions for aesthetics & convenience. The room sounds pretty damn good all things considered, and if I really want extreme accuracy in stereo or surround I listen to my Genelecs in the other room.

edit- what turntable is that?

JEKKI

that Commodore monitor is so awesome! it accepts RGB only right?
lol what's RGB?? The yellow input in the front doesnt work, so I use the "Chroma & Luma" inputs in the back, which I need a converter from an S-Video cable.

so yah the picture is actually really clean! unfortunately there's other older systems like Genesis that I wont be able to hook up to it if I needed to play Pier Solar or something down the line...

Put up a Jack Tretton poster or two and you'd have the clean Sony version of the Gahiggidy Nintendo lair. :p
lol but I hate posters... and who is Jack Tretton??

*googles name*

oh lol yah I dont know that guy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
lol what's RGB?? The yellow input in the front doesnt work, so I use the "Chroma & Luma" inputs in the back, which I need a converter from an S-Video cable.

so yah the picture is actually really clean! unfortunately there's other older systems like Genesis that I wont be able to hook up to it if I needed to play Pier Solar or something down the line...
You can absolutely use a Genesis with that monitor. There's some legwork to be done, but it makes an awesome RGB monitor.

He has a VPI Aries. A few more pics.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6161/6151889441_001eacd6cb_b.jpg[img]
[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6206/6151899935_d5eb146908_b.jpg[img]
[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6061/6152445560_95c2ceee8c_b.jpg[img]

His amps

[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6192/6152438684_9e5198ec54_b.jpg[img]
[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6199/6151890071_fe7668b695_b.jpg[img]
[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6174/6152443062_229385d670_b.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

May I ask why the amps are on spikes?

Top Bottom