• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Alan Wake's American Nightmare CES footage

Elginer

Did a search, didn't find anything so hope this isn't old. Oskari from Remedy is at CES showing off American Nightmare and it's looking pretty great. It's supposedly coming out next month and playtime is around 4-5 hours. Not bad for a $15 dollar game and you can expect another awesome soundtrack.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/13/alan-wakes-american-nightmare-videos-come-running-from-ces/

EDIT: Some new screens

ibtGR5cWchnObU.jpg

iHSTVqxjVdZYc.jpg

ibcrkekxA4DHeL.jpg

ib2EThrk7ACKFd.jpg

iv6KuxbwaLS4m.jpg

iJJsclAmq1tFU.jpg

Lima

Wow this looks soooo good.

Man that part when the satellite came down along with the music by Kasabian...

Really well done. Awesome visuals too.

Frankfurt

Banned
Thanks, but afte the 1st CES video, i've decided no more watching anything for me. Will just wait for February and enjoy the full game.

GCX

Glad to hear there's new music by Poets of the Fall again. Remedy's collaboration with them is pretty unique.

damn that looks good. don't think it's full 720p frame buffer but it looks higher res than the first. still hard to say for sure though.

So sweet, though I am a tad sad it isn't as story focused but hopefully the content they throw in for people who followed the first one is worth it.

Next month is gonna rock!

Hi-score? Ugh, wasn't exactly the shooting mechanics that made the original Alan Wake such a great game.

Is Oskari Häkkinen 100% Finnish? His accent is really good if that's the case, as proven by this very question.

EDIT: No, he can't be. Too consistent.

Grisby

Is there a chance they will release this on disc sometime after its arcade release?
Maybe? There could be a complete AW edition or something? I mean, MS did release a complete Forza 3 deal. Still, it would probably be a while and theres a good chance they won't*.

*Ima guess-ta-matin'.

S1kkZ

Maybe? There could be a complete AW edition or something? I mean, MS did release a complete Forza 3 deal. Still, it would probably be a while and theres a good chance they won't*.

*Ima guess-ta-matin'.

if the new game is 2 gb, aw 1 + all dlc and american nightmare would fit on 1 disc.

I've been hesitantly optimistic about this title since the first rumors sprang up about it. Loved the original game, and at a base line level I'm just glad there is going to be more Alan Wake in the world.

But a Horde mode type game? With minimal story beats? Seemed like the furthest they could get from the kind of game I'd hope to get in this world.

I have to say though - this video really turned me around. Combat seems a bit more dynamic this time, and the setup seems really ingenious for them to play around with the environments and characters. There is also something to be said for just the way that this game does it's presentation. Even with only one game to base it off of - this just *feels* like Alan Wake in the visuals and music. Which was another large part of what I found appealing about the original, so to see it shine through so brightly here (even in sucha different environment) is very exciting.

Consider me there day one.

Ah! Thanks for the heads up, I did not know that. I wasn't even sure how they would work in any story bits besides as framing for the environments you would fight in.

So this is much more like the original than I thought - just with an stronger emphasis on the combat?

Hi-score? Ugh, wasn't exactly the shooting mechanics that made the original Alan Wake such a great game.

Is Oskari Häkkinen 100% Finnish? His accent is really good if that's the case, as proven by this very question.

EDIT: No, he can't be. Too consistent.

it's still from the same developer that made Max Payne 1 and 2. they weren't focussed on the shooting mechanics when they made Alan Wake 1.

Uncle

So this is much more like the original than I thought - just with an stronger emphasis on the combat?

That's my impression. They have announced some tweaks in the story mode as well, like setting the scene to match the manuscript pages will help you in some way (and collecting the manuscript pages unlocks stuff in the Fight till dawn mode as well).

On a PotF note, I was surprised they didn't use Dreaming Wide Awake last time around, hopefully we'll hear that this time. Though maybe it fits too well and would wind up being a bit on the nose lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like how Alan Wake looks like a normal guy. Not some super douche'd up half tuck bro or crazy muscular macho man.

vireland

Remedy really does make some of the best looking games. Now, let's hope this Alan Wake will actually make a good game.

The first had some issues, but I wouldn't ever call it a bad game. The core game + DLC was really satisfying as a package, and the integration of music, story, and visuals was really compelling. This looks like a positive evolution of that start, and if that means even MORE Alan Wake, that's great.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Looks like an improved version of the first game, and I'm fine with that. Hope this'll make its way to PC someday since the PC version of AW will be out.. next month, was it?

SparkTR

Guess I'll find time this week to purchase and play AW for the first time! Should be cheap nowadays right?

Should be no more than $15. Though if you have a decent PC I'd recommend you wait a bit for that version. Alan Wake was a great game marred by technical issues that hindered the overall experience in my opinion, anything that fixes that is worth looking out for.

Bluth54

I'm glad to see some interesting enemy variation in the screenshots, as much as I loved Alan Wake they didn't have nearly enough types of enemies and lead to many of the fights feeling the same as ones you fought before.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't want to make a new thread for this yet, but first Alan Wake's American Nightmare review by Official Xbox Magazine.

They give the game an 8.5/10. They gave the original Wake an 8/10, and they say they feel that American Nightmare is a huge step-up for the mechanics of the series that fixes a lot of the repetitive and area design issues they had with the first game and have tightened things up considerably.

Top Bottom