• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread of Roundcats Up in This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eureka Seven 2-4

Well ep 2 had some good mech acrobatics at least. Hope to see more of that.

Still seeing some similarities to Air Gear. Waves are non-generalized Roads, the U.F. is the Air Police, etc.

All the Gekkostate people are assholes. I hope they all die a horrible death.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I still hate Senjou the most of all the characters in the show. I don't even know why Araragi is going out with her...she's just not likeable
She's easily the superior to everyone else in the show. Bake even spells out how pointless the rest of the girls are because he attached himself to the best one at the very start of the show.

Solune

Kumojacky has such awesome hair. Manly as hell.

I really want to find out more about
Yuri, since she looks like she could be either the badguy Precure or Cure Moonlight with that hairstyle.
Yes, Kumojacky is badass.
Cobraja's fabulousness > Kumojacky's manliness. He always carries a pair of opera glasses with him, like a student council member in Utena:
Cobraja's beauty contrasts Kumojacky's badassery. Although Geneijin might agree with you?
Best Chinese character in anime

33JRn.jpg
Amazing....
Also Chun loli in SF II V

Why does Ken always get the good looking girl??

Sket Dance 15-26

Liked the concert school festival the most but Switch's origin story episodes
I cried, though it was so good

Is the cast of Gintama always so crazy and intense, first time seeing any of that series in this crossover episode.

wonzo

Banned
Poyopoyo 6

First a very good episode of Nise, then I found a tenner in the couch and finally more roundcats. Today is a good day.

Once a new crop of people arrived who didn't spend all their time in IRC it was bound to happen.

This doesn't explain Cardcaptor Sakura at all. AT ALL.
I was waiting for someone to mention that CCS Mei lin is the worst character ever.
bu bu but I liked Mei-lin :(

I still hate Senjou the most of all the characters in the show. I don't even know why Araragi is going out with her...she's just not likeable
It's the wonder of a S&M relationship.

Jubern

Mobile Suit Gundam F91:
Well, somewhere in this is a story that could've been told in 2 hours. Sadly, they tried to cram 50 episodes worth of story instead.

That's really too bad, too. I was as dumbfounded as you the first time I watched it, but after several watchings and looking up on the backstory, I think it could have been muuuuuch better and really fell in love with the Formula universe.

Oh well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Cobraja's beauty contrasts Kumojacky's badassery. Although Geneijin might agree with you?

Cobraja's strength was on par with Kumojacky's and he didn't have to go for the roided-out look or obsessively focus on his training like Kumojacky in order to achieve that strength. Imagine if he'd actually applied himself instead of lazing around looking at himself in a mirror.

They're both badass......jacky.

Amazing....

The one, the only, the most badass motherfucker in the three kingdoms, Cao Cao. All of Souten Kouro is one big life lesson.

Branduil

Generally speaking, teenage boys don't care a whole lot about a girl's personality. Assuming the girl is willing to date them.

Thoraxes

Nise 06

Finally. Next week will be the week and then hopefully we can move on to all the things I want to see in Tsuhiki Phoenix. They've dragged out KB too much I think, at least as far as the anime goes.

Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 2
Mn4I3.jpg

Chiri is slowly killing and rekilling everyone in the cast.
So yet another trippy but with different trippyness OP. And then, we get 70s faces for talking about liking the process instead of the end result. Then, lots of head tilts about doing stuff that wouldn't get published. And, finally SUPER Shojo faces for titles that don't match the content.
And, hey look, they are reusing the ED from the last episode of Zoku.

Thoraxes

Bodacious Space Pirates 06

FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENED. That was a fun episode, and I look forward to getting to know more of the whole crew and watching the actual show start. Why they didn't begin the show like the manga I have no idea, and I think it was horrible for the anime and they should've cut the whole first arc, but w/e.

The Chiaki Omigawa moment was short-lived, but I walk away this week with at least some of her voice.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENED. That was a fun episode, and I look forward to getting to know more of the whole crew and watching the actual show start. Why they didn't begin the show like the manga I have no idea, and I think it was horrible for the anime and they should've cut the whole first arc, but w/e.

The Chiaki Omigawa moment was short-lived, but I walk away this week with at least some of her voice.
Don't make me give this show another chance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Go watch HidaSketch and bask in the hnnngigawa.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And now I play catch-up.

Mouretsu Pirates 05:

Did they really not expect to be
attacked in a way that could actually kill them?
I thought all of the giggly genki back-slapping was out of place for a situation so obviously dangerous, but at least
they actually took things seriously once it was obvious that they were GOING TO DIE if they kept treating the battle like a game.

I don't contest the fact that there's actual thought put into the electronic warfare scenarios, but they're so incredibly protracted that my eyes glaze over after a couple of minutes of trying to keep up with the technobabble. The show finally has its opportunity to turn itself around, so I hope that we don't see any more episodes that consist entirely of sitting at computers. It's just not something that I find entertaining.

Mouretsu Pirates 06:

The best episode since the first. It was a taste of what I wanted all along, which was nothing more than space piracy that somewhat resembles high seas piracy, technological differences be damned. It seems that they've finally realized that they don't have to depict every instance of electronic warfare in excruciating detail but can simply go straight to its aftermath as they did here. It drastically improved the pacing and forced the emphasis to the more visual, human-driven aspects of piracy, and while it was pretty standard stuff this episode, it was leagues better than what we've been subjected to thus far.

Brave 10 05:

Well, this episode wasn't offensively bad.
Date Masamune only having a few grunts protecting Isanami, and extremely high-value captive,
was fairly silly, but hey,
Isanami being kidnapped and rescued every episode
is this show's bread and butter so if
she stays kidnapped
then there's no way that they can keep recycling that plot device.

Symphogear 05:

OH GOD MY ENGLISH-SPEAKING EARS WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Amagami SS+ 06:

I think I better understand why some people like Ai now. For lack of a better word, she's normal. The other waifus have at least one strong area of their personality that influences everything they say and do, but the personality tropes that Ai embodies are more difficult to identify. She's less overtly cartoony, less emotional, more rational and more demure without being stupidly shy like Sae. She has average interests and aspirations, leads an average life with average responsibilities, and her love for Junichi isn't anything special--they just like being around each other. It's refreshing and nothing feels forced.

I wish that Ai had had a little more time to contemplate her fears that
her relationship with Junichi would be ruined by his going to college before he escaped from cram school
, but I still found it easy to sympathize with her
especially since I got NTR'd by my older girlfriend when she entered college.
Also, Junichi's friend is the ultimate bro.

Nichibros 05:

Okay, this episode cemented it. My favorite show of the season. I haven't found a comedy anime this consistently entertaining since Zetsubou-sensei, maybe even back to Cromartie High School.

High School Boys and the Savior is probably my favorite skit of the show thus far now. It was a perfect subversion of one of the worst anime cliches and absolutely floored me. With this show, sometimes realizing what the twist/punchline of the skit is going to be feels as good as actually watching the humor play out. It's magical.

Also, literary girl is the most amazing expressions.

NeonZ

Wiki still says it's ongoing, so I'm at least somewhat confident that there will be another OVA "season". I mean the 26 episodes available are technically 2 seasons already with a 10 month gap between episode 13 and 14. It still hasn't been 10 months since episode 26, so I doubt we have to worry about a continuation. Saint Seiya Omega might help it as well.

But to answer your question, it's more like an ending of a portion of the holy war. Really all that's left to do is fight Hades. I think another OVA would probably be only like 6 episodes or so similar to the other Hades OVAs.

Either way, it's definitely worth watching even if it has yet to be concluded.

This series probably won't be concluded. Toei is jumping back to Saint Seiya now, and Lost Canvas was handled by a different studio, so, I don't think there are big chances of the final volumes of the manga getting animated...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And now I play catch-up.

Mouretsu Pirates 06:

The best episode since the first. It was a taste of what I wanted all along, which was nothing more than space piracy that somewhat resembles high seas piracy, technological differences be damned. It seems that they've finally realized that they don't have to depict every instance of electronic warfare in excruciating detail but can simply go straight to its aftermath as they did here. It drastically improved the pacing and forced the emphasis to the more visual, human-driven aspects of piracy, and while it was pretty standard stuff this episode, it was leagues better than what we've been subjected to thus far.
Of course it also became a cartoon. Although I figure they're trying to be fun before being all serious. It's weird, but it almost reminded me of One Piece.

Amagami SS+ 06:

I think I better understand why some people like Ai now. For lack of a better word, she's normal. The other waifus have at least one strong area of their personality that influences everything they say and do, but the personality tropes that Ai embodies are more difficult to identify. She's less overtly cartoony, less emotional, more rational and more demure without being stupidly shy like Sae. She has average interests and aspirations, leads an average life with average responsibilities, and her love for Junichi isn't anything special--they just like being around each other. It's refreshing and nothing feels forced.
It all felt a little silly coming off of the previous two arcs though, where the stakes were much higher (comparatively).

Nichibros 05:

Also, literary girl is the most amazing expressions.

To troll zeroshiki, she's the better Literature Girl!

I guess i'll begin next weekend or so then on it. Now I neeeeeed to see it.

Also, the OP for xSP is so awesome.
Then watch Natsu no Arashi, the second secret best Shaft show for more Omigawa. lol

This series probably won't be concluded. Toei is jumping back to Saint Seiya now, and Lost Canvas was handled by a different studio, so, I don't think there are big chances of the final volumes of the manga getting animated...

Well that sucks then. Guess I'll just have to finish it via the manga. Though I wouldn't completely lose hope since there's always been decent gaps between the Saint Seiya OVAs and a Lost Canvas could theoretically reappear at any time.

Frankly, I'm glad so much got animated already.

Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 3
STvpe.jpg

If you say so.
A circus version of OP, featuring a short cutback to the bondage OP of season 1. How nostalgic. The ghost stories and lose/lose battles were good with jokes. The flashback to a positive Itoshiki was pretty suddenly, but the negative club was funny. And, he manages to kidnap a loli Kafuka.
Onward to season 3!

Narag

Angel's Egg

Gave this a shot tonight and I am left with no strong feelings one way or the other regarding the plot. This is the kind of thing I typically like yet I think I was a bit distracted tonight (took me 2 hours to finish a 75 minute movie) and I intend to revisit it sometime. Thought the visuals were beautiful as was the soundtrack at least.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Of course it also became a cartoon. Although I figure they're trying to be fun before being all serious. It's weird, but it almost reminded me of One Piece.

Cartoon is fine! I'm watching Bodacious Space Pirates, not Grimdark Space Pirates, so this is in line with my initial expectations for what the show was originally going to be like. If the bodacious gets replaced with serious I'll probably be disappointed. I have a bad feeling that the history of piracy, the Galactic Empire, and whatnot are more than just infodump and that Marika is going to end up having to save the universe or somesuch, but that doesn't preclude them from being able to handle it in a generally lighthearted way outside of space battles.

It all felt a little silly coming off of the previous two arcs though, where the stakes were much higher (comparatively).

Maybe the relationship stability is part of what defines Ai. The less-threatening nature of the problems that she faces in her relationship with Junichi reflect on her character, I think.

To troll zeroshiki, she's the better Literature Girl!

GFs93.jpg

Nothing could be better than this. Nothing.

Then watch Natsu no Arashi, the second secret best Shaft show for more Omigawa. lol

I fully endorse watching Natsu no Arashi for pretty much any reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cartoon is fine! I'm watching Bodacious Space Pirates, not Grimdark Space Pirates, so this is in line with my initial expectations for what the show was originally going to be like. If the bodacious gets replaced with serious I'll probably be disappointed. I have a bad feeling that the history of piracy, the Galactic Empire, and whatnot are more than just infodump and that Marika is going to end up having to save the universe or somesuch, but that doesn't preclude them from being able to handle it in a generally lighthearted way outside of space battles.
I think I want "Wrath of Khan" Space Pirates. I mean, I find it strange that they still haven't gone into the history of her father... or that she hasn't bothered asking about him. It's like they're setting that up to be something big.

Maybe the relationship stability is part of what defines Ai. The less-threatening nature of the problems that she faces in her relationship with Junichi reflect on her character, I think.
Well, average girl is average I guess. Her problem of being "too lonely" was just so... mundane.

GFs93.jpg

Nothing could be better than this. Nothing.
4kHUa.jpg

I fully endorse watching Natsu no Arashi for pretty much any reason.
It's funny because HidaSketch and Natsu no Arashi are pretty much the two "average" Shaft shows. They're not abundantly wacky like Arakawa, stupid like Vampire Bund, or nerdbait like the monogatari shows and Madoka, so no one cares about them.

She's not that squeaky in Arashi though. Now in Arakawa she's in there. I guess Soredemo is beast mode.

After HidaSketch you can watch the other cute girls in an art school anime.
She's still tolerable in Arashi. Also, she's a reverse-trap character too!
JcU5W.jpg

Lies. There's only one Literature Girl in my heart.
That was fast!

Thoraxes

It's funny because HidaSketch and Natsu no Arashi are pretty much the two "average" Shaft shows. They're not abundantly wacky like Arakawa, stupid like Vampire Bund, or nerdbait like the monogatari shows and Madoka, so no one cares about them.

She's still tolerable in Arashi. Also, she's a reverse-trap character too!

She's not that squeaky in Arashi though. Now in Arakawa she's in there. I guess Soredemo is beast mode.

After HidaSketch you can watch the other cute girls in an art school anime.
Good, good. This all sounds beneficial to the enrichment of my life. I will begin to gather the necessary components to begin all this within the next two weeks or so.

Thoraxes

Senki Zesshou Symphogear 06

Yuri for everyone! A semi-triangle of
yuri misunderstandings, international conspiracies
, tsunderes, sudden gain of EAGLE VISION, and dat punch! Also the end in general was good. Something they played off for a while is getting revealed, so i'm wondering how the next episode is gonna handle this.

Surely our universe is powered by yuri. It is the way of the future.

Anyone here ever watch Shakugan no Shana. I recently discovered it and it doesn't look too bad of a concept. If anyone here read it what are your opinions of it?

Also, for those that have seen/read it is the anime adaptation good and does it follow source material?

Thoraxes

Anyone here ever watch Shakugan no Shana. I recently discovered it and it doesn't look too bad of a concept. If anyone here read it what are your opinions of it?

Also, for those that have seen/read it is the anime adaptation good and does it follow source material?

I've watched everything up to what's airing now. I like it plenty, know plenty about the manga/LNs, and though things go slightly offtrack in S2 or so, the season airing now is alarmingly close to the source material, and is really good at delivering everything i've been wanting out of the series. Season 3 is a real return to form and is definitely doing good with the "shit gets real" story.

Also Shana is probably my favorite Kugiloli.

It's been a while, but from what I recall the first season was an ok, but fairly standard show based around a tsundere romance. Then the 2nd season became obsessed with a never ending love triangle and filler and pretty much went to shit. I haven't seen any of the 3rd season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom