• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see 'January' in the thread title.

I'm a little upset that so many people just switched back. The OP goes on about what it acheived and what it stood for and most everybody just completely ditched it, going back to the same obnoxious internet anonymity that plagues the web every minute of every day, which I thought was half the point of Real Pic.

Just disappointed, thats all. I'll be keeping my REAL pic. A drawing is not a real pic, by the way. It acheives no sympathetic link that humans are drawn to.

I'm glad that its created some mini-community here, but I feel the actual meaning is being lost very quickly and that a worthy movement has been crushed simply due to a naming problem, leading people to think it could only happen for a small time period and couldn't be a widespread, permanent thing.

Oh well. Anyways, have a good night and a good Valentine's Day tomorrow everybody. Cheers.

I like you. My avatar is an overlay of my previous real pic with a fake version of me, but I think I will shortly go real again. Or at least real-er.

Acid08

Banned

I'm a little upset that so many people just switched back. The OP goes on about what it acheived and what it stood for and most everybody just completely ditched it, going back to the same obnoxious internet anonymity that plagues the web every minute of every day, which I thought was half the point of Real Pic.

Just disappointed, thats all. I'll be keeping my REAL pic. A drawing is not a real pic, by the way. It acheives no sympathetic link that humans are drawn to.

I'm glad that its created some mini-community here, but I feel the actual meaning is being lost very quickly and that a worthy movement has been crushed simply due to a naming problem, leading people to think it could only happen for a small time period and couldn't be a widespread, permanent thing.

Oh well. Anyways, have a good night and a good Valentine's Day tomorrow everybody. Cheers.

KuGsj.gif

Ashes

Banned

It was Real Pic January. A community was borne out of that. A community is not just the name or ideal it starts of with; it's the people that make or break it. You don't have the people, you don't have the conversational nature of the thread. If you don't have that, and are puritanical about the thread subject, you have to question whether this thread should exist. You would have less then 10% of the thread's posts, if we were equally canonical about the topic.

Anyway, my Being Human watching friend called me up this evening with a bit of a crisis. Apparently, one of our* generally pretty cool older friends sort of lost it while hanging out at her place. She considers him her best friend (or she did), but it seems like he was having a mid-life crisis or something. He told her he was unable to remain friends with her because he was extremely jealous of the fact that she's had sex with a bunch of his friends but not with him. She's extremely flirty, to the point where her male friends often get the wrong idea and end up disappointed and frustrated.

It's an unfortunate thing. Both of them are really cool, and he's a really central part of both her life and of the general social life around here. He's not a jerk or anything, but it seems like he had a lot of emotions boiling under the surface for a really long time.

So it was a weird night. I chatted with her for an hour or so, indirectly helping her set up her iPad (apparently, invisible shields are hell to put on). I think she's generally feeling better now. I hope he's feeling alright. I don't think he intended to cause harm here. And I hope that this all gets resolved as a temporary hormonal thing, as they've been friends for many years.

Anyway, I've finished with step one of my Halloween Jack-O-Lantern costume. I'm at the part where I glue the rods of felt together to see if it'll stick together well (and if the rods will bend and form the right shape; I cheaped out on the materials, so I might end up with a dud here, but I'm optimistic!). There's one partial day -- tomorrow, I get to hang out with my mommy! :D -- and two full days to get it to work and to finish some ancillary items before the big fun weekend.

* Holy crap, I wrote that as "are" initially. I really am losing it.

Seanspeed

Banned
It was Real Pic January. A community was borne out of that. A community is not just the name or ideal it starts of with; it's the people that make or break it. You don't have the people, you don't have the conversational nature of the thread. If you don't have that, and are puritanical about the thread subject, you have to question whether this thread should exist. You would have less then 10% of the thread's posts, if we were equally canonical about the topic.

I get that. But the thread title says 'RealPic:A GAF Community'. Its a bit misleading when 90%+ of the people posting aren't actually using real pictures.

Its just a shame to me, thats all. I hoped more people would do it, but everybody has jumped ship on the idea and are finding solace in getting to know a few more people on this board a bit better, which is great, but a far cry from what could be continued with the 'humanizing' of NeoGAF and eventuall the internet as a whole.

Like I said, just a disappointment, thats all. If all y'all wanted was some place to talk about some stupid bullshit, chatrooms have done all that and more in the past. Just please stop calling this 'RealPic': A community!' when its that anymore at all. Its just a glorified chatroom.

==

I get that. But the thread title says 'RealPic:A GAF Community'. Its a bit misleading when 90%+ of the people posting aren't actually using real pictures.

Its just a shame to me, thats all. I hoped more people would do it, but everybody has jumped ship on the idea and are finding solace in getting to know a few more people on this board a bit better, which is great, but a far cry from what could be continued with the 'humanizing' of NeoGAF and eventuall the internet as a whole.

Like I said, just a disappointment, thats all. If all y'all wanted was some place to talk about some stupid bullshit, chatrooms have done all that and more in the past. Just please stop calling this 'RealPic': A community!' when its that anymore at all. Its just a glorified chatroom.

The fake-ified real pics are just a short-term phase. They were always seen as such. Once this particular tense is over, people will generally go back to their real pics, but with some other gimmick. Who knows, I mean maybe they'll balance things on their heads or something.

Seanspeed

Banned
The fake-ified real pics are just a short-term phase. They were always seen as such. Once this particular tense is over, people will generally go back to their real pics, but with some other gimmick. Who knows, I mean maybe they'll balance things on their heads or something.

I haven't been following this thread, so I hope you're right. A gimmick is fine, so long as we retain our real identity somewhere in there.

Puddles

Banned
Anyway, my Being Human watching friend called me up this evening with a bit of a crisis. Apparently, one of our* generally pretty cool older friends sort of lost it while hanging out at her place. She considers him her best friend (or she did), but it seems like he was having a mid-life crisis or something. He told her he was unable to remain friends with her because he was extremely jealous of the fact that she's had sex with a bunch of his friends but not with him. She's extremely flirty, to the point where her male friends often get the wrong idea and end up disappointed and frustrated.

Bad play. If being around her was stressing him out that much, he would have been better off just making himself scarce around her place until he could get a girlfriend or something to take his mind off of the discomfort.

Ashes

Banned

==

So you want a community with real pictures and real people?

Try facebook. It's got 845 million people.

This is the 'RealPic' community on Gaf.

Question: Name people who you think belong to the RealPic Gaf community?
a, see table of top posters overleaf.

Bad play. If being around her was stressing him out that much, he would have been better off just making himself scarce around her place until he could get a girlfriend or something to take his mind off of the discomfort.

Yeah. Funny thing is that I didn't think he had much of a problem with that.

Ah, well, sometime in the next few months I'll probably see him, and maybe I'll hear more about it.

In the meantime, I now have plastic "rum runner" flasks for the Wicked Faire. I'm-a gonna fill them up with marshmallow vodka. :D

Puddles

Banned
Yeah. Funny thing is that I didn't think he had much of a problem with that.

Ah, well, sometime in the next few months I'll probably see him, and maybe I'll hear more about it.

So the situation was basically like:

- Dude is friends with a girl, kind of has a crush on her, can't make anything happen, gets settled into the friendzone.
- Over the next few years, he brings a number of his male friends around while he's hanging out with her. She ends up fucking several of these guys over the years. He still has feelings for her the whole time.
- He can't take it anymore.

?

So the situation was basically like:

- Dude is friends with a girl, kind of has a crush on her, can't make anything happen, gets settled into the friendzone.
- Over the next few years, he brings a number of his male friends around while he's hanging out with her. She ends up fucking several of these guys over the years. He still has feelings for her the whole time.
- He can't take it anymore.

?

Perhaps it's not as cut and dried as that, but it sounds somewhat in line with what she was telling me. Mind, I haven't heard his side of it, if he has one. I think this is one of those "poorly handled situation is handled poorly" situations.

Jhoan

Hey guys, H. Pro says hi and the party keeps on going. Check out the NYC GAF meet up thread for pics. Any questions? I'm bored. Almost bailing out.

EDIT: I think this meet up is more or less adjourned. Jon bones left with a few peeps.

It was a pleasure protag! Enjoy ur stay in ny!

Same with meeting you! You so tall! Haha. Just got home a la F train or some shite. Seriously late. :)

HP gives everyone pleasure whether she's here or not :O Amazing!

Iz my drinking skillz. J/K. But seriously, feel pretty good for a 4 am return after a dinner pitcher, pub event, a tequila haunt and a cocktail bar. :D

Hey guys, H. Pro says hi and the party keeps on going. Check out the NYC GAF meet up thread for pics. Any questions? I'm bored. Almost bailing out.

EDIT: I think this meet up is more or less adjourned. Jon bones left with a few peeps.

Home now! You make it OK, Jipan? Heck of a night to have that cocktail bar on top, right? Nex and Aorange are so posh.

Jhoan

Home now! You make it OK, Jipan? Heck of a night to have that cocktail bar on top, right? Nex and Aorange are so posh.

Yeah, I was dozing off in the train. It took a good 20 minutes for the A train to arrive. Thankfully, it went express after 59th street, so I got home faster than I expected. Haha, that's pretty funny. Jason was pretty hammered. And jon_bones? Forget about it. That guy drank like the stuff was water but yet he was still good to go.

It's almost 5:30AM, I'm sleepy and I'm still on GAF. Plus I ate. It's beddy bye time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom