• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The one game soundtrack you want more people to know about...

Omikron the Nomad Soul had a great soundtrack written by David Bowie. It was re-recorded as Bowie's album Hours...

I really like most of the music on that album and listen to it every once and awhile.

I am thrilled to see Shatter, Neo Tokyo, Bourne Conspiracy and Amon Tobin's glorious Chaos Theory OST already mentioned.

Double Agent and even Conviction had great soundtracks as well. And don't forget Deus Ex: Human Revolution's. Jesper Kyd's work on Hitman and Assassin's Creed is glorious too.

I am thrilled to see Shatter, Neo Tokyo, Bourne Conspiracy and Amon Tobin's glorious Chaos Theory OST already mentioned.

Double Agent and even Conviction had great soundtracks as well. And don't forget Deus Ex: Human Revolution's. Jesper Kyd's work on Hitman and Assassin's Creed is glorious too.

I think these sound out from the rest...
Also...

*cough* Machinarium...

DTJAAAAM

The Khan Super Session soundtrack from Soul Edge/Blade. In my opinion, it's one of the greatest fighting game scores ever created. Hell... one of the best video game soundtracks ever! I always hope that Namco will have them do the music in another Soul game, but every sequel leaves me disappointed.

Battlefield 3.

No, seriously.

The Battlefield 3 campaign sucks but holy hell god damn if its soundtrack isn't 1. totally awesome and 2. totally not something you'd expect. Seriously, listen to this. Sure, the main theme just sounds like it's been run through Bitcrusher in Garageband a few too many times, but the actual soundtrack is totally nuts. 80s synth, weird beats, and even some spooky ambient tracks.

It's a real shame that it was all used in such a poor campaign.

Oh, and a Public Service Announcement for the best almost-a-soundtrack-but-it-never-really-came-out-because-the-mod-died: NeoTokyo

Ooh, and an addendum to this: Drakengard's amazing terrifying chopped-up-classical-music OST is something else. I really wish more games had crazy, risky soundtracks like this.

Monocle

d9l4A.jpg

Bayonetta.

People complain about the J-pop, but that's literally two tracks in a diverse jazz-infused orchestral score which spans five disks.

I'll just leave these here.

Epic Themes

The Greatest Jubilee
In The Choice Between Good And Evil ~Sapientia~
You May Call Me Father
One of Kind

Ethereal Ambiance

Paradiso - Graveyard of the Memories Of Time
Paradiso - Star Ocean

Upbeat Jazz and J-pop

Let's Dance, Boys!
Mysterious Destiny
Fly Me to the Moon (Climax)

Smooth Jazz

The Gates of Hell

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mighty Switch Force! is a virt soundtrack which I would highly recommend. It generated a lot of disucssion in GAF's Soundtrack of the Year 2011 awards thread. I'll just post my writeups for it.

Another one of those surprise soundtracks that just popped out of nowhere! Man oh man, Jake Kaufman (Virt) is on a roll. Right as the soundtrack plays, you’re greeted with a dastardly upbeat and catchy melody that hits you with a bang. It’s an arrangement of the theme used for the Mighty series, and it’s probably one of the finest versions.

Much like with the Radiant Historia soundtrack, the quality of the tracks definitely outweigh the quantity. The stage BGMs obviously got the most attention. From Caught Red-Handed with its pumping dance melodies and dropped/skipped beats throughout and wonderful bass in the middle, to Love You Love You Love with the beautiful piano keywork leading into the heavy synth and suffocating pulsating beat and catchy melody, to…

…the utterly wonderful (and obvious best theme on the album) Whoa I’m in Space Cuba with its gosh darn catchy as shit synth melody that you can’t help but to hum and sing along to… and that piano interlude is genius, getting a little jazzy as you get further into the theme and then the beat drops out leaving us with the synth melody and piano alone. This is my jam.

Apprehend Them! is also wonderful, but it’s really hard to top Space Cuba. Final Boss is also amazing with fast synth, bells, and the synth moving and out of the rhythm. It’s a delight.

If you like the soundtrack, don’t hesitate to pick it up and support virt. It’s absolutely wonderful, and filled with catchy melodies, Whoa I’m in Space Cuba, and delightful instrumentation. There’s a lot of talent here, and I’m looking forward to what virt will wow us with next. Oh, and there’s a wonderful 8-bit mix of Whoa I’m in Space Cuba on the actual album. It’s fantastic and wonderfully-mixed. This soundtrack blew me away. Kaufman should be proud of his accomplishments so far because the stuff he’s worked on is astoundingly rich in catchy rhythms and great instrumentation. Great work.

Also, I want to bring attention to Tales of Xillia's soundtrack. After Tales of Graces' soundtrack disappointed me, I was happy to see that Xillia's soundtrack delivered a rather mature experience to the Tales series. Here's my writeup for that:

Motoi Sakuraba was the only composer credited on this album. While we know Sakuraba sticks to a rather rigid formula for Tales soundtracks (or game soundtracks in general if we want to get picky), he does take a bit of a departure here and there. In-game, the soundtrack works very well, with many of the melodies fitting a lot of the landscapes and the battle music standing out the most. As a result of some of these departures taken, I think Sakuraba has composed a rather mature Tales soundtrack, one of the best in the entire series, with varying musical genres and entertaining compositional work.

Some of the tracks that sound more atmospheric than your typical Sakuraba tracks include The Root of Evil and Rampant Malice. I had listened to the soundtrack out of context prior to playing the game, so these struck me as pretty different. They work very well in the game. The town themes are also great and interesting (since Sakuraba rather than Tamura composed them), with A Merchant Town Full of Life and A Royal City Enveloped by the Night. Tender pieces like Illuminated by the Sunlight, and sombre pieces like The Meaning of the Mission are just wonderfully arranged and have great instrumentation with piano (and violin in the latter piece). There is a lot of eastern influence seen in pieces like A Mountain Village in the Dawn as well, which enhances those setpieces’ Eastern-based aesthetics very well. Sakuraba also returns to some of his bombastic composition in Believe in Me, and it’s certainly nice to hear once again. He also infuses some nice jazz in A City of Another Civilization, something I enjoy listening to from time to time outside of the game.

I like the Tales battle music. I like the driving guitars and the rapid tempo, so themes like Indomitable Fists that Know No Equal (which I think is one of the best pieces he’s ever composed in this manner, btw, with the blazing guitars and the brass addition) and That Fist, Blinking Decision don’t put me off at all. I played through Jude’s portion of the game first, so I didn’t hear the Milla battle themes much until I played her section in a NG+. My Sword Shall Open the Way and The School Outfit DLC battle theme sound great and somewhat refreshing with the awesome violin work in them. Battle for a Future to Believe In is also one of the best resolutions to a soundtrack that I’ve heard him compose with the choral and orchestral sample work.

Myriadis

Shatter.

Everyone should know about Shatter.

Everyone should listen to Shatter.

Everyone should love Shatter.

Listening to it for the first time. There are some tracks that are indeed completely awesome. Kinectic Harvest and especially Freon World.

Can I take two?

The best soundtrack in the whole Final Fantasy Universe. I love these instruments, the slight influences of celtic folk and the beautiful melodies.
- Kaze No Ne (I'm sure it had an influence on "Colony 9" from Xenoblade)
- Departure
- In The Gloomy Darkness

The best soundtrack ever made on the N64.
- The Journey Begins At Mt. Fuji Road
- Holy Ground Pemopemo (Get Goosebumps)
- Goe Goe Spark (That's how you do music for a final dungeon!)

DaY8B.jpg

de Blob 1+2

Glad to see i've been beaten to it, both de Blob games have great soundtracks that are very much intertwined with the gameplay itself.
de Blob: Euphoric
de Blob 2: The Colourist Agenda

From myself, i'll be championing the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3 whenever possible, a mixed bag at times but when it's good it's DKC2 good, ah if only such tracks weren't limited by the GBA sound quality, then again the reason the second soundtrack exists is because of this if i'm not mistaken.
Cascade Capers
Stilt Village

Veal

Mighty Switch Force! is a virt soundtrack which I would highly recommend. It generated a lot of disucssion in GAF's Soundtrack of the Year 2011 awards thread. I'll just post my writeups for it.
100% I haven't been disappointed by any of his music, but I really think this is the strongest so far. It reminds me of good, loud arcade game music and older anime themes!

Requeim

R11-title.jpg

Remember11, don't think i have ever heard a soundtrack where i love every single track to this extent. When you've played the game/(read the novel), and know how the themes fit in, it just makes it even better.

My answer is usually "Any Shoji Meguro soundtrack" in these threads, but the above is probably the only one i would ever put above Meguro. Ever17 also has some great highs, but it also has some not-so-great stuff in it think.

I would agree if you were talking about the PSX soundtrack, because that is easily Nobuyoshi Sano's best work, but the arcade soundtrack is really inconsistent i think

TimeKillr

Digital Devil Saga, 1 in particular.

Shoji Meguro's finest, imo. It's completely insane.

The last dungeon in particular is a work of genius. It's got so many layers that slowly get introduced as you climb the tower - it starts off as a small track, then every time you get to a new "layer" of the tower, the track gets one more layer added to it, so it ramps up in "epicness" as you climb up the tower, reaching the full amount of crazy at the last level, where the track is so crazy and pumps you full of adrenaline.

Seriously. DDS1 is my favorite PS2 RPG for a bunch of reasons, one of which is the soundtrack.

Ooh, I forgot about this fantastic sound track. If you want more in this style, the band that recorded them is called the Bamboos, they're a fantastic Aussie band and worth tracking down.

I did not know this, thanks for the info.

This thread has me teetering on purchasing Mighty Switch Force to experience the soundtrack, only thing holding me back is the games length

SE-2019-2_front.jpg

Such an amazing soundtrack that gets little love, I initially had no interest in it because of the composer, but it really surprised me.

also already mentioned
Chaos Theory
ODST

Top Bottom