• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is why i don't buy things from gamestop.com (email + response within)

sorry to make a whole new thread of this but i have to vent bro's! I'm normally an amazon.com shopper but i really wanted to get xenoblade and of course gamestop (and nintendo.com i suppose) are the only 2 places i can get it. so, in december i placed an order for in-store pickup. flashforward to now, and i won't be in town from thursday-sunday of this week. below is the e-mail i sent gamestop.com and the reply i got:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Apr 3, 2012 6:31:51 PM
Subject: I have a question about my bill

Hello. I placed an order for Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii in December. I chose to do in-store pickup but I will not be in town when the game releases. I will be returning home on April 9th (the following Monday).

Will the store hold this pre-order for me until Monday? If not, can I change the order to ship directly to me or can I have someone pick my order up? Thank you for your assistance.

Response:

Dear FMT,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

When you preorder at a store, you will have to make a reservation deposit starting as low as $5.00 (deposit amounts will vary depending on the item). At the store you can pay towards a reservation with cash, credit/debit card, gift card or Edge card.

If you are unable to pick up your reservation within 48 hours, you may transfer your deposit to a different pre order or receive a refund.

When you preorder online, you can pay with credit/debit card, gift card or Edge card. In some cases, we will process your order and authorize your credit card up to 10 days before the release of the product. This allows us to get the product to you faster.

Best Regards,
Ebbo
GameStop Customer Service

what the fuck? it's like they didn't even read my e-mail. it's not JUST this issue, but the fact that doing anything on the site in regards to changing an order is a pain in the ass. i have to fucking submit a form to cancel an order or change it? is this 2001? why can't all sites be like amazon?

now i'm going to have to waste my time on the phone getting this straight. i COULD request a cancellation and re-order but the artbook is no longer available and i would prefer to have that. you can go eat a bag of dicks gamestop.com!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Could be worse. They could have required you to send certified mail to cancel your order

impact

Banned
You can just walk into the store when you get back and pick it up, and everything you put down will still count towards it. It's not like they're gonna sell out of Xenoblade.

Ceebs

Call the local store you would pick it up at and speak to the manager on duty. They should hold it for you until you get back.

You can just walk into the store when you get back and pick it up, and everything you put down will still count towards it. It's not like they're gonna sell out of Xenoblade.
If it's still like it was when I worked at one several years ago, they will get at most 1-2 extra copies. After 2 days they throw the preorders not picked up out on the shelves.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
French Movie Theme, ladies and gentlemen! What are you doing out here on Gaming side, FMT? shit ain't safe!

Anyways, if you can't pick it up in 48 hours, you're screwed. Send your gf with the receipt and see if that works.

Elginer

I learned to Never shop at gamestop online after my debacle. never again, amazon for life! took me two 29 min phone calls to fix.

dang, i don't have a printer at home to print out the receipt. i ain't rich bro's! maybe i'll have her print it out at work to take it in.

but my point in making this thread was not only to vent but to show how user friendly a company COULD be: just give me the option to change the shipping/pickup method on the site! i'll pay the extra $4 or whatever it would be to ship it i don't give a shit. but then no.

If it's still like it was when I worked at one several years ago, they will get at most 1-2 extra copies. After 2 days they throw the preorders not picked up out on the shelves.

I'm guessing your payment on it is still valid? Does it turn into credit?

Eusis

I'm guessing your payment on it is still valid? Does it turn into credit?
I believe someone (Amirox?) pre-ordered a 3DS, completely forgot about it, then discovered for some reason he had $250 or so in credit. They won't steal your money, but you may miss out on the game.

Heading out this weekend for Easter stuff, so I'm hoping to catch it on Friday just as I head out.

tim.mbp

dang, i don't have a printer at home to print out the receipt. i ain't rich bro's! maybe i'll have her print it out at work to take it in.

but my point in making this thread was not only to vent but to show how user friendly a company COULD be: just give me the option to change the shipping/pickup method on the site! i'll pay the extra $4 or whatever it would be to ship it i don't give a shit. but then no.

Can you cancel and reorder?

You could just try calling the store and ask if they will hold it until you get back. If they are any kind of decent people (and many of them are) they will work something out with you.

MrDaravon

pretty sure this will work.

Actually I found out today that this will NOT work.

I was in Gamestop today where I have Xenoblade pre-ordered, and asked if my wife could pick it up Friday morning since I want to try to get the artbook, but I wouldn't be getting over there until 6:30 at the very earliest that night. The employee (who knows his shit, has been there forever, and knows me personally) said that they can't generally do that; it's part of why they ditched the receipts and tied pre-orders to the Rewards cards, because apparently they were having all sorts of problems and abuse. What he WAS able to do is put a note in the system on the pre-order of my wife's full name and that she would be picking it up, but where this may not work for you is he said he could only do it because I was doing it with him personally in the store; so if you're out of town I don't know if they can do it by phone.

Best bet would be to call them and explain; they not technically supposed to hold it for that long or do what I mentioned above over the phone, but if you know them at all and/or they're not dicks you can probably get away with one or the other. I was told the stores all already have their copies in-house or will tomorrow, so I don't think you'd be able to get them to change the shipping to your house at this point, even assuming you could get someone competent over there.

I believe someone (Amirox?) pre-ordered a 3DS, completely forgot about it, then discovered for some reason he had $250 or so in credit. They won't steal your money, but you may miss out on the game.

Heading out this weekend for Easter stuff, so I'm hoping to catch it on Friday just as I head out.

Thats a pretty funny story.

LoL I still have $5 on Xenosaga 2 and the receipt is somewhere around here..

I checked on my Xenoblade order the other day while I was buying something else on GameStop's web site and I didn't see the art book in the order. :(

Alucrid

Banned
Actually I found out today that this will NOT work.

I was in Gamestop today where I have Xenoblade pre-ordered, and asked if my wife could pick it up Friday morning since I want to try to get the artbook, but I wouldn't be getting over there until 6:30 at the very earliest that night. The employee (who knows his shit, has been there forever, and knows me personally) said that they can't generally do that; it's part of why they ditched the receipts and tied pre-orders to the Rewards cards, because apparently they were having all sorts of problems and abuse. What he WAS able to do is put a note in the system on the pre-order of my wife's full name and that she would be picking it up, but where this may not work for you is he said he could only do it because I was doing it with him personally in the store; so if you're out of town I don't know if they can do it by phone.

Best bet would be to call them and explain; they not technically supposed to hold it for that long or do what I mentioned above over the phone, but if you know them at all and/or they're not dicks you can probably get away with one or the other. I was told the stores all already have their copies in-house or will tomorrow, so I don't think you'd be able to get them to change the shipping to your house at this point, even assuming you could get someone competent over there.

Oh. I was going to say that years ago my parents could pick it up for me. But that was years ago...

Thats a pretty funny story.

LoL I still have $5 on Xenosaga 2 and the receipt is somewhere around here..

You should pick it up. Third best game in the trilogy.

Alex

With Xenoblade, it was either that or order from Nintendo directly, and only GameStop offer the artbook bonus.

Nothing is worth dealing with Gamestop, at least up here that's the case (which is a shame because until the last couple they used to be really decent) especially one of those pamphlets masquerading as an artbook.

Korigama

Nothing is worth dealing with Gamestop, at least up here that's the case (which is a shame because until the last couple they used to be really decent) especially one of those pamphlets masquerading as an artbook.
I don't have any complaints about the one I go to, but that's my experience.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure the 48 hour thing is up to the store. Call your store and explain the situation. It's easier than dealing with the .com.

creid

Gamestop is not the only company that sends canned responses based on a crappy analysis of the subject of your email.

Mobius1

i didn't have much of a choice in the matter. i guess lesson learned, i should order from nintendo.com instead

Nintendo's online store might actually be worse.

I preordered from them back in January. Fast-forward to last week. I forgot which address I had asked for it to be shipped to. The emailed receipt did not say. If you click the link that is supposed to take you to your order information, it simply redirects you to Nintendo's parts & services page. Then you put in your order number as if it were a part number and then you get your information (still no address). I thought "screw it, I'll cancel this, preorder from Gamestop and at least I'll get that art book". Well, you can't cancel an order over the internet. You have to call them and ask for the cancellation. They were quick about it. Now I've got a pre-order at Gamestop and I was too late to get the artbook.

Moral of the story? ....I dunno. Everyone besides Amazon sucks.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I bet they get that question a lot and just have a stock response to quickly send out and move onto the next email. And fwiw I have received something similar from Amazon from time to time. If it's that big of a deal, call them directly or go to the store and talk to them face to face.

barrin87

I usually try not to buy from Gamestop because of some of the practices they do with their games. Pretty much every other retailer has better prices on games as well. I am only buying Xenoblade Chronicles from them because of the limited availability and the art book.

Amazon third party isn't much better.

I received "Rayman Origins - with artbook" today, but it was missing the artbook.

The item description reads,
"Games will NOT come with any extra accessories outside of case, artwork, and instruction booklet unless stated otherwise."

It is stated that the artbook comes with the game.

Will I be receiving the artbook in a future shipment?
Hi Jon,

Sorry for the confusion.
"Artwork" in the description refers to the case art, or "Sleeve".
Any "artbook" or extra maps/accessories are not included.
That is ridiculous.

The item is "Rayman Origins - with artbook." It is listed under a different heading than "Rayman Origins." Are you telling me that the artbook is the sleeve?

Why wouldn't the item be called "Rayman Origins - with art sleeve" instead?

Why would you advertise your product under the incorrect heading?
Hi Jon,

If you wish to return the product, please contact Amazon customer support.
They will be able to provide you with a prepaid shipping label.

I thought about making a new thread, but I can't.

Just so everyone knows, this is not Amazon. It's a 3rd party reseller that ships through amazon.

If you werent so small handed I'd recommend picking up that phone and dialing those digits to talk to a friendly customer service rep.

Fox318

This whole situation reminds me of Kyle Williams.

Dnh0xl.jpg

Tiny Hands.jpg

lol holy cow.

Edit: Im getting out of here. If its any consolation FMT, I hope you get your copy.

Get a classic controller though, its easy to grip regardless of handsize and stays comfortable for extended amounts of time. (Seriously)

Top Bottom