• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Owen

Banned
Do you train entirely for what you think girls want Jason? I'm pretty sure if that bald fat guy and the guy in the picture you posted got in an argument your guy would be scared as hell and the girl would go home with the "fat" guy.

My dad could beat up your dad.

My preferred look is MJW. Lean and strong.

F9ZF2.jpg

I'm pretty close already to that physique, he has better shoulders and a more aesthetic chest than me though.
Same here, I think i'm rather close as well, just need to get a fair bit leaner. I've got the exact same build, my shoulders may be a tad bigger proportionally, but yeah.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Same here, I think i'm rather close as well, just need to get a fair bit leaner. I've got the exact same build, my shoulders may be a tad bigger proportionally, but yeah.

You're already damn near there bud, all you need is more time/size, and not much.

I'm pretty sure if that bald fat guy and the guy in the picture you posted got in an argument your guy would be scared as hell and the girl would go home with the "fat" guy.

The fact anyone would consider Wendler fat in that picture blows my mind. It's either straight up trolling or a complete disconnect from reality.

rando14

I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to make my lateral delts bigger. My front and back delts are great, but my middle delts are small as hell, makes my overall shoulders looks smaller than they should be.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My dad could beat up your dad.

If your dad is 60 then I have my money on my dad. ;) My point is, women are physically attratced to strength just as much as having a low body fat percentage. If he wants to achieve that body for himself then that is great but his posts come off as if it is more for what he thinks women desire.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to make my lateral delts bigger. My front and back delts are great, but my middle delts are small as hell, makes my overall shoulders looks smaller than they should be.

Dumb question, are you pressing? Are you doing lateral raises? Highreps?

rando14

Dumb question, are you pressing? Are you doing lateral raises? Highreps?

Yeah I do standing military presses and lateral raises (straight and bent arm). I try not to go too high weight on any shoulder exercises other than military press because I don't want to risk any shoulder injuries. I was thinking of increasing my reps to around 10-12, and then maybe supersetting them with a lower weight similar shoulder exercise? My front delts are likely bigger than they need to be so I don't work them out specifically.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah I do standing military presses and lateral raises (straight and bent arm). I try not to go too high weight on any shoulder exercises other than military press because I don't want to risk any shoulder injuries. I was thinking of increasing my reps to around 10-12, and then maybe supersetting them with a lower weight similar shoulder exercise? My front delts are likely bigger than they need to be so I don't work them out specifically.

Personally i keep rear/lateral delt work light as hell. I do 20lb side lateral raises for 15 and 3 sets. I may actually lower that to 15 to get 5 sets of 20 next cycle. My lateral delts are pretty sizable and peak like a bicep when I raise my arms out to the side. I assume that's how they are supposed to look, but I don't know if they are as big as they should be. I just know my shoulders look pretty good.

Anyway, perhaps try lowering the weight as low as you can to get multiple sets of 20?

rando14

Personally i keep rear/lateral delt work light as hell. I do 20lb side lateral raises for 15 and 3 sets. I may actually lower that to 15 to get 5 sets of 20 next cycle. My lateral delts are pretty sizable and peak like a bicep when I raise my arms out to the side. I assume that's how they are supposed to look, but I don't know if they are as big as they should be. I just know my shoulders look pretty good.

Anyway, perhaps try lowering the weight as low as you can to get multiple sets of 20?

20 in one set? I was considering going really high-rep, but is that optimal for hypertrophy? I was always under the impression that 8-12 was best for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, and for legs you could up it to about 20.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
20 in one set? I was considering going really high-rep, but is that optimal for hypertrophy? I was always under the impression that 8-12 was best for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, and for legs you could up it to about 20.

Yeah, I do up to 20 for small movements (it's another 5/3/1 thing)

20 for curls, facepulls, etc to 100 total reps. So 5x20.

Bigger movements like incline bench, DB bench 50 reps. 5x10.

I don't know if it's "optimal" to be honest, but I know it seems to be working for me. My upper body is exploding.

rando14

Alright cool, I'll give high reps a shot.

By the way, any recommended website to learn more about Wendler's 531 program? I gave it a quick search the other day but was overwhelmed and I'm not sure where a good place to start is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright cool, I'll give high reps a shot.

By the way, any recommended website to learn more about Wendler's 531 program? I gave it a quick search the other day but was overwhelmed and I'm not sure where a good place to start is.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

There ya go bud, the only thing you need more from that is specialty 5/3/1 templates and the assistance templates. I'll add those as I find them.

They break down like this, you pick one as you go, do that for a cycle, then switch it up if you want.

Boring But Big. Main lift, the main lift again @ 5x10 (50% 1RM), and another accessory exercise for 5 sets.

The Triumvirate. Main lift, and two assistance exercises - 5 sets each.

I'm Not Doing Jack Shit. Main lift, and nothing else.

Periodization Bible by Dave Tate. Main lift, and 3 exercises - 5 x 10-20 reps each.

Bodyweight. Main lift, and 2 bodyweight exercises such as the pull up, sit ups, dips, etc.

Edit: Here's the squat focused template.

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

Edit2: Wendlers 5/3/1 for a beginner.
http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Yeah I feel this way too, 5-10 lbs more has been the plan in my head for a while.

I too keep lateral raises light, but I also like to use them as a burnout, big fan of drop setting this one.

Per my program I'm not actually supposed to have those in there, but i do them to maintain shoulder health. Wendler has shit shoulders so I figure it can't hurt to really watch mine. ;)

Troblin

What are you numbers at now? I'm 170ish at 10% BF and I consider my numbers to be pretty good for my weight + I am decently cut. Might just be me and how my body is though.

at 161lbs
10 rep range~
DB Bench ~ 90lbs
Squat ~ 165lbs
Deadlift ~225lbs

Pullups ~15-20/set
Dips +45lbs ~10-12

at 175lbs
DB Bench ~95lbs *15
Squats ~190lbs *10
Deadlifts ~260lbs *10
Pullups and Dips were pretty much the same give or take a couple reps.

I have a pretty large imbalance in my upper to lower body. I train squats and deadlifts pretty casually.

This is what I want to achieve:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvi...4366-male-fitness-model-wearing-underwear.jpg

Not the fat dude who's bald in the picture above.

Really? You think the guy in the picture is fat? I'm curious, but what is considered 'non fat' to you? Is the pic below that I posted 'fat'?

I can't imagine the agonizing diet it would require to maintain that body. Fuck that.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind trying to achieve that but I'm pretty sure I would quit before getting there lol. Since we posting pics, here is my ideal body (for now anyway)

whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp_original.jpg

It's pointless other than to stroke ego("I'm better than that guy"), and it seems to lead to some indirectly hostile gang-ups when a new poster comes in and states their goals. There's this attitude like "LOL, another wannabe brobuilder" or whatever. It just irks me when people come in and get a lot of good advice, but then some really dismissive responses because they don't have a leg exercise in their routine or they don't know some principle of nutrition/exercise because they've just started working out for the first time in their years/their life.

I feel like the type of attitude I'm talking about breeds those types of responses and makes the thread too insular.

Of course, I'm not saying it's bad to give your opinion and say stuff like "I think it's better to have a strength foundation, even if your eventual goal is size". Nothing at all wrong with stating your opinion on why legs shouldn't be ignored or barbell exercises are better than isolation work when giving advice or just in general.

All your points make sense and I agree with it. I don't feel that we reach the dismissive responses in this thread to the new people unless they come in and start spouting nonsense, which rarely happens. I really do want people to go at it the right way and not give up. We all learn from each other mistakes which we then can share with the newbies that come in. In the end, it is your body and you are free to do whatever you want with it.

entremet

This strength versus aesthetics discussion is vaguely familiar?

I personally find that super ripped look extremely hard to sustain.

Veezy

que?
So, I'm hitting a point where, finally, I'm reaching, and exceeding, my old maxes using a version of GSLP. So, I was looking for a template to transfer into 5/3/1 while focusing on some more body building movements. After stumbling around, I found this. The 5/3/1 bodybuilding template. So good.

Workout A

1 Barbell Shoulder Press
Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
2 Barbell Upright Row
Sets: 4 Reps: 10 Rest: 60-90 sec.
3 Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Sets: 4 Sets: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
4 Bentover Dumbbell Raise
Sets: 4 Reps: 15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
5 Dumbbell Curl
Sets: 4 Reps: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
Workout B

1 Deadlift
2 Chinup
3 Dumbbell Row
4 Back Extension
Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec.
5 Ab Wheel Rollout
Workout C

1 Bench Press
2 Dumbbell Bench Press
3 Dip
4 Dumbbell Fly
5 Triceps Pushdown
Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
Workout D

1 Squat
2 Leg Press
Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
3 Leg Extension
4 Leg Curl
5 Situp
Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec.

I'm most likely going to do this through summer and into next year. I'm gonna bro out so hard.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This strength versus aesthetics discussion is vaguely familiar?

I personally find that super ripped look extremely hard to sustain.

It is extremely hard. You're pretty much miserable from being hungry, fatiqued, and sleepy all the time.

entremet

It is extremely hard. You're pretty much miserable from being hungry, fatiqued, and sleepy all the time.

Which is why pro body builders and fitness models, like one Jason posted, don't maintain that BF% year round. Unless you're blessed with some freak genetics.

SeigO

Banned
So I've been lifting for about 6 months now and I'm ready to label myself as a hardgainer. I'm 6'3 175 now and I'm generally following the Starter Strength program + a bunch of work on top of that.
Here's an example of how I'm skinny and lacking muscles.
So I'm wondering is there such a thing as too much for a hardgainer? I've been aiming for 4,000 calories a day starting earlier this week because I've pretty much failed to put on any weight/muscle when I was eating 3-3.2k calories a day.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So I've been lifting for about 6 months now and I'm ready to label myself as a hardgainer. I'm 6'3 175 now and I'm generally following the Starter Strength program + a bunch of work on top of that.
So I'm wondering is there such a thing as too much for a hardgainer? I've been aiming for 4,000 calories a day starting earlier this week because I've pretty much failed to put on any weight/muscle when I was eating 3-3.2k calories a day.
rAPOE.jpg

You say you're skinny but your lateral delts are much bigger than mine. What do you do for them?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I just go once a week to the gym, I should go at least twice. I need to actually start organizing my workouts in like upper body/lower body. But I think I got cheating genes cause I really don't put much effort at all, I just eat properly and go to the gym 40min a week:p Some of my colleges seem to be there all the time for much longer but they are chubby. Diet makes all the difference really.

At least I managed to gain 11lbs in a bit over a month (I was at 130, now at 141, 5'9"), so I should keep that up but only if I go to the gym more frequently, otherwise I'll just end up getting chunky. At least now that the winter is over I can ride my bike too.

qlYle.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Stayed at 225 lb on squat to work on form, blasted out 9 reps on my 3rd set. Got 6 reps on my 3rd set of 210 on bench for a PR. Tried 315 on Deadlift (up from 295) and failed miserably for only 3 reps instead of the 5 I was looking for :(. Overall a good day but I went in to hard on Deadlift.

Now my post workout meal is:
An EAS Myoplex bar right after I was done (normally don't buy shit like this but they were 79 cents on sale)
Half can of canned salmon with raw wheatgrass mixed in (blechhhhhh)
1/2 cup grape juice with 5g creatine
2 cups 1% milk w/ 50g added protein (powder mix)
1/2 chicken breast
2 cups V8 juice
handful of peanuts

I'll probably try to eat the other half can of salmon and another 2-4 glasses of milk before bed.

calza

This is the type of attitude that I think turns some people away from the thread. Because someone wants to look different than you doesn't make them an "asshole", and there is no reason why "serious lifters" should laugh at them. It just comes off as super insecure.

Most people don't care about competing in a sport or care that a powerlifter uses their max as light work. If someone just wants bigger guns or whatever, seriously who cares? Good for them.

I think he was more meaning that you should work everything, not only from an aesthetic point but also from a physical muscle imbalance point.

Just came back from the gym and there were a few bro's working out together. In the 30 minutes our time at the gym overlapped i saw them do standing dumbbell curls, sitting dumbbell curls, ez-bar curls and quarter squats on the smith machine. Im all for people doing whatever they want, but good god. :lol

Guys, I was being facetious about the powerlifter being "fat".

Now this guy on the other hand....

beginner-powerlifting.jpg

But I think Darthwufei is the most impressive person in this thread with his transformation.

Mr.City

1. Please read the OP

2. Please don't post giant pics of your semi-nude body

3. Please list your diet and your current lifts and the "bunch of work on top of that"

3000 is a good amount for a 175 lb male looking to grow, and I find that a lot of younger guys like to drink that Weight Gainer/Serious Mass crap, do a bunch of cardio for da cuts, and end up stalling out. 4000 will make you grow, however you might not like all the results.

trilobyte

Hey guys, going crazy here 0_o

I started at 270lbs.

I've been working hard the past 2 months to lose weight. I've lost 20lbs just by cutting calories (no exercise).

My diet is usually oatmeal * coffee in the morning. Salad or soup for lunch. Banana or pretzels/hummus for snack, and a baked chicken breast for dinner. And about 32oz of water roughly.

2 weeks ago I started exercising after noticing my weight not changing for the week. I also cut my calories by a little bit. I'm doing hour long walks at brisk pace, going up/down a few steep hills. Despite that I'm still not seeing any weight loss. I've been stuck at 250lbs (give or take a pound). That's three weeks of no change in weight.

wtf >:[

So I tried the following this week:

Started P90X Lean Schedule
Did 2 days of an 1hr cardio with it (fast walking with hill climbs)
Introduced eggs to my breakfast for more protein
Added veggies to my dinner, overall increased calorie consumption
Stopped the pretzel eating
Doubled my water intake

Still nothing :( Though I do feel like things are changing. I'm going to stop caring about the scale and just track inches lost.

Mr.City

So I tried the following this week:

Started P90X Lean Schedule
Did 2 days of an 1hr cardio with it (fast walking with hill climbs)
Introduced eggs to my breakfast for more protein
Added veggies to my dinner, overall increased calorie consumption
Stopped the pretzel eating
Doubled my water intake

Still nothing :( Though I do feel like things are changing. I'm going to stop caring about the scale and just track inches lost.

What's a the lean schedule thing? And how much are you eating?

I cant even remember the last time i weighed myself. I do know that pants which were a bit tight 6 months ago i can now pull down without undoing the button or zipper. I really need to buy new pants.

What's a the lean schedule thing? And how much are you eating?
It basically avoids a lot of the upper body focussed weight routines of P90X and uses an easier cardio routine (Cardio X vs Plyo X). Apparently it was put together for people who want to avoid putting on muscle.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm curious as to what the general consensus is about what size arms would be "big" I guess. I've weight lifted off and on for years. I've been sticking to it 3x a week for about 9 months now. My arms are 19" but that just doesn't seem very big to me. Honestly, I thought they were bigger.

Mr.City

It basically avoids a lot of the upper body focussed weight routines of P90X and uses an easier cardio routine (Cardio X vs Plyo X). Apparently it was put together for people who want to avoid putting on muscle.

Good, makes things easier for the rest of us.

I'm curious as to what the general consensus is about what size arms would be "big" I guess. I've weight lifted off and on for years. I've been sticking to it 3x a week for about 9 months now. My arms are 19" but that just doesn't seem very big to me. Honestly, I thought they were bigger.

19 inch arms are pretty big.

trilobyte

I appreciate any help and tips guys, I'm really a novice at this stuff. I read the OP but honestly most of it went over my head.

To give you some background:

I'm 30 and I've been grossly overweight for the majority of my life. 3 years ago I hit 350lbs. After that, I started walking daily, cut all fatty foods, soda, sweets from my diet. I wouldn't say I was eating healthy but it was still a huge change. I took it real slow, 1-2lbs a week. In a year I got to 280lbs.

At this point I started experimenting with my diet and decided to go into vegetarianism. I really didn't change my exercise (still just walking) but my calories (along with protein) was greatly reduced. After another year I was down to 220lbs.

The last year I started eating meat (just lean meats) and I kind of lagged on my focus and bounced around between 220lbs and 250lbs. I really screwed myself these last few months with high carb meals (pizza) and got to 270lbs. But I now cut the carbs and started walking again - I'm back down to 250lbs.

Anyway that's where I'm at now. The thing I hate most about my body is the flab. I look easily 30lbs heavier than I am simply because of all the left-overs from when I was 350lbs (eww). I really want to lose weight AND get toned.

I appreciate any help and tips guys, I'm really a novice at this stuff. I read the OP but honestly most of it went over my head.

I'm 30 and I've been grossly overweight for the majority of my life. 3 years ago I hit 350lbs. After that, I started walking daily, cut all fatty foods, soda, sweets from my diet. I wouldn't say I was eating healthy but it was still a huge change. I took it real slow, 1-2lbs a week. In a year I got to 280lbs.

At this point I started experimenting with my diet and decided to go into vegetarianism. I really didn't change my exercise routine but my calories (along with protein) was greatly reduced. After another year I was down to 220lbs.

The last year I started eating meat (just lean meats) and I kind of lagged on my focus and bounced around between 220lbs and 250lbs. I really screwed myself these last few months with high carb meals (pizza) and got to 270lbs. But I now cut the carbs and started walking again - I'm back down to 250lbs.

Anyway that's where I'm at now. The thing I hate most about my body is the flab. I look easily 30lbs heavier than I am simply because of all the left-overs from when I was 350lbs (eww). I really want to lose weight AND get toned.
Not sure if i missed it, but you arent lifting weights at the moment? I see you talking about an exercise routine, but not about going to the gym, only taking daily walks.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

At this point I started experimenting with my diet and decided to go into vegetarianism. I really didn't change my exercise routine but my calories (along with protein) was greatly reduced. After another year I was down to 220lbs.

If all you're doing is walking, you are not exercising enough. The toughest part will probably be the diet. There's nothing complicated about it, it's just a matter of will power. Don't eat pizzas and count your calories.

• Height: 178cm (5'10")
  • Weight: 61kg (134 lbs)
  • Goal: gaining muscles and strength
  • Training Schedule: none
  • Training Equipment Available: none
I want to gain some weight (with as much of it as possible going into arms, instead of belly and thighs) and shape my abs a bit. I could use more strength as well.

I think the best thing for me would be to get a rowing machine and use it while I watch a movie or something. I know that otherwise exercising will become too tedious and I will probably stop after a couple of months.
Are rowing machines any good (the cheaper ones)?

If your focus is mass and strength I don't know why you would want to focus on a rowing machine. You need to lift weights.

Roquentin

• Height: 178cm (5'10")
  • Weight: 61kg (134 lbs)
  • Goal: gaining muscles and strength
  • Training Schedule: none
  • Training Equipment Available: none
I want to gain some weight (with as much of it as possible going into arms, instead of belly and thighs) and shape my abs a bit. I could use more strength as well.

I think the best thing for me would be to get a rowing machine and use it while I watch a movie or something. I know that otherwise exercising will become too tedious and I will probably stop after a couple of months.
Are rowing machines any good (the cheaper ones)?

trilobyte

Not sure if i missed it, but you arent lifting weights at the moment? I see you talking about an exercise routine, but not about going to the gym, only taking daily walks.

I shouldn't have said 'routine' I was just doing the walking. Going to stealth edit :p

Never did weights before. I'm basically just starting that now. I *just* started p90x lean-schedule since it seemed easy for my newbie mind to understand, but I don't know if that was the right choice

If all you're doing is walking, you are not exercising enough. The toughest part will probably be the diet. There's nothing complicated about it, it's just a matter of will power. Don't eat pizzas and count your calories.

Yup started to do that on a iPhone app I purchased. It's a nice sanity check I've found

Mr.City

TTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDD

Let's begin

Here are some articles to read at your pace

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/flexible-versus-rigid-dieting.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/not-losing-fat-at-20-deficit-what-should-i-do-qa.html

Some may think I'm elitism and hardcore and a musclehead, but what ends up happening when you diet down with a lot of cardio is you just become a smaller version of yourself. There's usually no fitness model transformation awaiting you at the end of the tunnel.

Your carb fear is unfounded; carbs are just very calorie dense. Pizza isn't bad because of the carbs, but the buttfuck load of calories it carries. What exactly diminished your focus?

The flab you speak of might be loose skin from your fat years. I know that feel; I have the same thing going on. I'm hoping that getting down to a low bodyfat will fix some of it, but time will tell.

Never did weights before. I'm basically just starting that now. I *just* started p90x lean-schedule since it seemed easy for my newbie mind to understand, but I don't know if that was the right choice
I'd suggest classic over lean. If you struggle too much with Plyo X you can always switch it to Cardio X. If you struggle to much with the program in general, then I'd try the lean version... rather than starting with it.

trilobyte

What exactly diminished your focus?
Imploding relationship and new job :p i.e. stress

The flab you speak of might be loose skin from your fat years. I know that feel; I have the same thing going on. I'm hoping that getting down to a low bodyfat will fix some of it, but time will tell.

Thank's for the links! I'll read them now. Yeah the flab is one major thing I'm worried about, I really don't want surgery to be my only option. But I did it to myself all those years... I just hope I can repair.

I'd suggest classic over lean. If you struggle too much with Plyo X you can always switch it to Cardio X. If you struggle to much with the program in general, then I'd try the lean version... rather than starting with it.

I do struggle with some of the exercises. Mostly the ones that require me to support or lift my full body weight. Yoga is almost impossible for me right now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looks like I may officially be below 240 now. I weighed in this morning at 238. Going to wait a week and see if it bumps back up, but the scale has been pretty consistent this week.

Danj

• Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Weight: 115kg
  • Goal: weight/fat loss
  • Current Training Schedule: n/a
  • Current Training Equipment Available: n/a
  • Comments:

I have to admit I am extremely intimidated by this thread. I read the OP, and I honestly think there ought to be a separate thread for regular folks that just want to lose weight, without all this hardcore bodybuilding terminology that's in here. But, the rest of GAF tells me I need to stop being a lazy-ass and get in here because it's the best place to get advice, even for beginners.

I'm fat, and I need to try and lose some weight. The main problem is I have no idea how to get started or even how to motivate myself to get started or to continue once I get started. I don't have any friends or siblings who could help with that (I'm an only child, and most of the people I know have moved or are in the process of moving away from here).

Other problems include the following:

• I just recently took out a large debt consolidation loan. While this means that I no longer have a credit card or any credit card debt and will be debt free after 7 years, at the moment it means I have little or no spare income each month.
  • I can't afford to join a gym. Other members of GAF have claimed that it's possible to join a gym for $10/month, but I'm in the UK and things are vastly more expensive here. To give an example, the main gym that I am aware of in my area is LA fitness Cambridge and apparently 6 weeks' worth of membership there costs an eye-watering £99.
  • I don't know whether walking or running is likely to be involved (if it is, at the moment I could probably only manage to actually run for a few minutes before having to slow down) but I've heard that running on asphalt pavements can be bad for your bones and joints unless you have super expensive running shoes (which I don't).
  • I can operate a microwave, and I can also cook things in an oven provided no operation more complex than turning things over half-way through is required, but beyond that I have no cooking skill at all other than making sandwiches, toast, or pouring milk on cereal. Also, in my monthly budgets I only have £50 to purchase food for a month's worth of weekday breakfasts, weekday evening meals and all meals on weekends or days off. This means that I cannot afford to purchase any food type which might be wasted due to my inability to cook it or the fact that it goes off if I don't eat lots of it regularly very quickly. Some months I have less than £50 available for actual food due to needing to spend some of it on other essentials (e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, toilet paper, kitchen roll etcetera).
  • I had a skin infection on my legs about 11 years ago, and while I have had an operation to correct circulatory problems in my legs which has improved things a little bit, my legs are still very scarred, which does not seem like it is something the NHS are prepared to help me with. Consequently I can't wear shorts or swimming trunks (which is a shame; back when I was in school, which will be about 20 years ago now, I used to really enjoy swimming).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom