• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Shurayuki

And the colorful buttons as well. The big green 'A' button might as well've been a "WIN" button.

And yet it wasn't the RPG system of choice *shakes head*.

At least explains the breakout performance of Tales of Symphonia ♥

Yes. I personally understand why the Gamecube controller was designed as such, because it was Nintendo trying to appeal to a broad userbase with different shaped buttons and colours, etc..

But compare the aesthetic of the Gamecube controller to the Wii Remote, especially in how it was marketed and presented, and it was a totally different vibe.

Had the Wii remote had all sorts of differently coloured buttons, it would not have come across as "techy" as it did when it was revealed.

Ultimately, I agree with what Mr Miyamoto said, and historically it shows

The Remote was just brilliant on all levels you can think of, and though the Software obviously was a huge contributor, the Wiimote ensured the success of Wii. (Though maybe part of the omgnohardcore) It just isn't a game system with a TV Remote is it.

Man this doesn't even look like an E3 conference haha. I'm so used to them being on a grand stage in front of a large amount of people.

Hehe, well it's more like an actual press conference than the Oscars that we get today. The Oscars are pretty awesome though.

It is sexy isn't it.

gamecube_motherboard.jpg

motherstopsmall.jpg

But GAF tells me Nintendo is always a generation behind. The only reason it's designed so well is because the GC is weaker than the Dreamcast.

On the Gamecube thing, I was there launch day (night actually, got it at midnight) and they ran out of the black ones pretty quick. So I was "stuck" with the purple one. I still have it to this day, and actually I'm kinda glad I got the infamous purple box.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I love how everyone's cheering for Metroid Prime before going "wait, WTF!"

Also lol at Kameo

It's amazing looking back at it now. People excited for Raven Blade, Kameo, and Donkey Kong Racing. Basically no response to Pikmin because I believe Miyamoto had just introduced it. The girl in the video pointing out that there was no gameplay shown for Metroid Prime because Miyamoto was cracking the whip at Retro.

Snakeyes

The use of space.
The symmetry.
The entire Zen thing they have going on.
Truly a work of art.

I hope that Nintendo will soon feel confident enough to release hardware with a similar philosophy. The funny thing is that the dudebros blame Nintendo for leaving the hardcore behind when they are partly responsible for how the Wii turned out.

Glad I was able to get a black GC at launch.

Fun watching that old 2001 E3 footage, brings back memories. Bill Trinen is so young there and actually looks like he's having fun. I hear he was kinda cranky and tense during some of the GDC interviews this year is that true? (and if it is I wanna see a clip ha)

abasm

Huh. I can finally see why so many people got irked about the "Celda" reveal now. Nintendo actually implicitly suggested that the next Zelda would look like the concept trailer, rather than paint it as a mere tech demo. (As they've done more clearly with the Wii U.)

Interesting to note how little of a reaction Melee gets from the crowd, compared to the mere mention of SSB4 at last year's E3.

fernoca

Huh. I can finally see why so many people got irked about the "Celda" reveal now. Nintendo actually implicitly suggested that the next Zelda would look like the concept trailer, rather than paint it as a mere tech demo. (As they've done more clearly with the Wii U.)

Interesting to note how little of a reaction Melee gets from the crowd, compared to the mere mention of SSB4 at last year's E3.
Check the video linked before:
fernoca said:
So awesome.
Still remember this, so much excitement! XD

EDIT:
With Peach's reveal..twice and Samus fighting Ridley.
Melee was heavily introduced earlier in the conference.

Yeah, some were "pissed off" at Zelda because of that (it was the second time same clip was shown). A few months after this one, the Spaceworld trailer of "Celda" was revealed.

And the internet never was the same. :p

Bagu

It's amazing looking back at it now. People excited for Raven Blade, Kameo, and Donkey Kong Racing. Basically no response to Pikmin because I believe Miyamoto had just introduced it. The girl in the video pointing out that there was no gameplay shown for Metroid Prime because Miyamoto was cracking the whip at Retro.

Well with Pikmin, it was kinda hard to understand what was going on in the footage unless you already know what the game is like.

With the others it's alot easier. Raven Blade for example is just a guy kicking ass. Not too difficult.

Metroid honestly just looked bad in it's beta.

Shurayuki

Hooray, Member, Woot and indeed Hoot!
aibfkry.gif

ehhh...topic....that nintendo company...when will they fucking learn

*hooray*
rinkopapasc5jiz.gif

You know, it was probably better they went with current style Conferences, or we would have many more "games journalism" moments.

Everyone always brings up the purple Gamecube. Yet, the Gamecube was available in BLACK from day one. There were equal numbers of purple and black systems, but purple sold faster, so that's what people remember. That and it gives people something to make fun of ("Barney is purple too, so it's a kid's toy!")

The black was teh kiddy, the purple was awe-inspiring.

Black can look good on certain things but the purple system made a statement "look at me, I'm fucking purple, come at me, Bros".

It had way more self esteem and dignity.

nordique

The Remote was just brilliant on all levels you can think of, and though the Software obviously was a huge contributor, the Wiimote ensured the success of Wii. (Though maybe part of the omgnohardcore) It just isn't a game system with a TV Remote is it.

Yeah, it truly was. The Wii Remote did end up truly being revolutionary.

Part of the reason why I'm not too concerned about Wii U's capabilities and the current case.

Yeah, its almost like wizards designed it. I too am confident Nintendo will deliver a console that GAF will certainly "oooh" and "aaah" in the same way we still can to the Gamecube's insides

donny2112

There were equal numbers of purple and black systems, but purple sold faster, so that's what people remember.

No. The reason that purple is remembered is that that is the color Nintendo used in its advertising. It was a self-inflicted wound.

As to which sold faster, they were mostly even, but even just 7 months after launch in the U.S., Black held a 53/47 advantage and was selling more monthly.

I think the Wii Remote was far underutilized but it wasn't for lack of innovation.

I think the U Pad will be a lower learning curve for static developers and it will be easier to come up with good ideas.

But it didn't match with the gameboy player.

I forget what color Gameboy Player I had(were there many choices???) as I used it once and never again.

It seemed so much cooler in theory than in turned out to be in practice but I know a lot say they swear by that device so good for them.

Bagu

I forget what color Gameboy Player I had(were there many choices???) as I used it once and never again.

It seemed so much cooler in theory than in turned out to be in practice but I know a lot say they swear by that device so good for them.

Black only if I recall.
Also it was the greatest thing ever, at least to my younger self.

nordique

I think the Wii Remote was far underutilized but it wasn't for lack of innovation.

I think the U Pad will be a lower learning curve for static developers and it will be easier to come up with good ideas.

One good thing is the Wii Remote (+ Plus) will still be present next gen too

Zack & Wiki 2 for Wii U? :p That would be pretty awesome

EDarkness

Speaking of price, I honestly think they'll go $349 or something thereabouts and I think that's a reasonable price. However, anything more than that and I'll have to pass or wait for a price drop. My wife has already stated that our limit is $349 so I'm hoping it's not more than that. Still, I think it could help their image to not be $299. The last think they need is people to be thinking that their system is cheap. At least I think so.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It is sexy isn't it.

gamecube_motherboard.jpg

Compare that to the Wii motherboard...

desolder1_engadget_howto.jpg

...which has LOTS of empty space towards the front. I believe they designed it that way in order to accommodate the DVD drive in the front of the unit, with the heat sink directly behind. With the Wii U being over 2 inches longer than the Wii, that hints at the need for a much larger heat-sink and set of fan(s) to keep it from burning down your house.

--------

wii-u-console-2.jpg

By the way, what could the vents towards the front and on the top-right be for?

BD1

Banned

Zack and Wiki 2 is sadly a game that would never get greenlit in 2012. Maybe as a digital release.

Speaking of price, I honestly think they'll go $349 or something thereabouts and I think that's a reasonable price. However, anything more than that and I'll have to pass or wait for a price drop. My wife has already stated that our limit is $349 so I'm hoping it's not more than that. Still, I think it could help their image to not be $299. The last think they need is people to be thinking that their system is cheap. At least I think so.

I think there's no chance it's $349. I say $299 or something like $329 on the highest end. A Nintendo console at $349 would be so...strange

I always guessed 350$.

It won't be more than that.

It also won't be 250$(I laugh at that notion).

Possibly 299$...

AzaK

My god Zack and Wiki was a brilliant game. It had a few issues, mainly the imprecision of the Wii Remote, but with motion+ it would be a dream. Such a refreshing game.

nordique

xcm-i-case-wii-install-and-review-20070413043713693-000.jpg

and

38759-500-375.jpg

for more Wii inside stuff

shows how much that dvd drive takes up. I wonder if the Wii U will have a more portable drive (like a laptop style drive)

I also wonder what the "new" Wii (the one that gets rid of Gamecube parts) looks like

abasm

I once had to disassemble a friend's Wii to get a disc out after the drive failed. That thing is a nightmare of plastic levers and switches.

Roo

Same here... $350 is the sweet spot
299 is just too low

I made a new gif. Since it's almost 7MB and not E3 yet, I'll be considerate of some of your computers. Any gifs I possibly make in June... well my condolences in advance. :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAYk/nt5-PukKEwo/s750/wii-u-portal2.gif

Compare that to the Wii motherboard...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/desolder1_engadget_howto.jpg

...which has LOTS of empty space towards the front. I believe they designed it that way in order to accommodate the DVD drive in the front of the unit, with the heat sink directly behind. With the Wii U being over 2 inches longer than the Wii, that hints at the need for a much larger heat-sink and set of fan(s) to keep it from burning down your house.

--------

http://wiiuinsiders.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wii-u-console-2.jpg

By the way, what could the vents towards the front and on the top-right be for?

I feel the extra length is going to help give it more "breathing room" and the extra vents will assist in that. I expect the CPU/GPU to be at the rear like Wii with pretty decent cooling and the extra length will help dissipate any remaining heat that doesn't get exhausted.

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/780/780633/xcm-i-case-wii-install-and-review-20070413043713693-000.jpg

and

http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/38759-500-375.jpg[/IMG]

for more Wii inside stuff

shows how much that dvd drive takes up. I wonder if the Wii U will have a more portable drive (like a laptop style drive)

I also wonder what the "new" Wii (the one that gets rid of Gamecube parts) looks like

I do believe they will just like they did with Wii.

Gamecube used 23 Watts....

You're ignoring the "performance parts" part of his post.

But what does the DRC Screen do! you need to put something there too ;D
Who makes gifs that aren't ~10mb anyways! Go for the jugular!

Great btw.

It took me almost a day to make it because I couldn't find something to go with the controller. But my idea in this is that there wouldn't be a player using the Upad. You can have a two player or four player game that uses Wiimotes and the Upad works like a map or maybe gives instructions/guidance.

It took me almost a day to make it because I couldn't find something to go with the controller. But my idea in this is that there wouldn't be a player using the Upad. You can have a two player or four player game that uses Wiimotes and the Upad works like a map or maybe gives instructions/guidance.

The U Pad is the dungeon master, in real time.
Setting up traps and moving rooms around as people are playing.

Top Bottom