• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Terrell

That the game was apparently been in the (early) works for the Wii U and canned. Was been done by Headstrong (House of the Dead Overkill).

Ahhhh. Yeah, I may be desperate for a new JSR, but not THAT desperate for one.

If it existed, it was probably canned because they were doing a piss-poor job making it. Whether we like talking graphics or not, JSR as a series was a audio-visual showpiece (hell, it mainstreamed cel shading in games and had some of the best soundtracks of all time!) and Headstrong isn't..... exactly known for a great job on that front.

My hope is restored. Sega needs to rebuild a team with the original directors and Hideki Naganuma on the soundtrack. STAT.

Fou-Lu

Smash talk?

Everything else pales in comparison to my desire to see Mike Jones (StarTropics), Takamaru, Palutena, Medusa, Kamek, Lip Daisy & Toad playable.

And yes I totally just added names as they came to me after Mike & Taka. :lol

Dude, you didn't even include the old standbys Isaac and Geno. I am disappoint.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Is anyone here actually going to E3? I know we talked about it yesterday, but at least one person in here must be.

Does anyone know of a debate scene where there's a bit of an argument going on I could use for a gif I want to make?

Refer to any video of Canadian Parliament during question period. Apeshit all the time.

If the new Smash Bros game does not bring Roy back, I will kill a puppy.

art_4548_id_10.jpg

What did he do to you?

Damn, these guys are late. Didn't that new drop a couple months ago?

Take a peak at the article date. ;)

All this GC talk made me dig up an on E3 PC. Man have these things come a looooooooooong way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jWSmFjOgyG4#t=118s
Wow never seen any GameCube revealed videos. Its so different (In good and bad ways) to bad they don't do them like this anymore. I recently watched the iMac reveal where Steve Jobs had to get a camera guy on stage for people to see the iMac up close. Press conferences have come a long way.

Finished part two. Everyone's excited for Melee. (They thought Ridley was a playable character I'de bet :p) gonna watch the rest within the day. I wonder if theres videos on youtube of the gba or n64 or any other Nintendo system reveals. I'll have to look after watching thie rest of this.

I decided not to go to E3 this year. It's become less and less fun over the years, especially since the loss of Kentia Hall (the cheap booths, which always had crazy and innovative things going on), and last year I wasn't even motivated to wait in line for the Wii-U demo stations. E3 is interesting, in that you actually get a lot more video game news by NOT going - press coverage of E3 is great, but there's just so much to see there a person won't be able to catch everything going on.

pramath

Banned
The latest lowdown:

To summarize:

-Nintendo wants to keep the Wii U name
-The Wii U is far more powerful than the HD twins, and Nintendo is displeased by the current rumors. The article goes as far as to state that Nintendo is flat out pissed at the analyst. However, it won't say anything at this time because of its own NDAs
-Nintendo DID look into bio haptics feedback technology

*sigh*
I wish E3 would come soon

art_4548_id_10.jpg

What did he do to you?

Blocked the damn screen, for starters :(

Bagu

The latest lowdown:

To summarize:

-The Wii U is far more powerful than the HD twins, and Nintendo is displeased by the current rumors. The article goes as far as to state that Nintendo is flat out pissed at the analyst. However, it won't say anything at this time because of its own NDAs
Been beat to the cut man

Deguello

Third party newcomers to Smash Bros:

I say Sonic and Snake should return, I mean, cuz why not. No extra effort.

I WOULD say Megaman but Nintendo would have to fire off an email to Capcom to remind him that he exists. Would definitely play similar to Kirby, and I'd imagine Megaman would be able to copy the EXACT power (after defeating an opponent vs. swallowing him) instead of a "Kirby version."

Dragon Quest! Since the main heroes for like 80% of the games are interchangeable (some even have the excat same stat growth and abilities) it would probably be a good idea to just have "HERO" and have his alternate skins be the costumes that each DQ character wore.

Final Fantasy! Well maybe not. Series is hitting tough times and I doubt anybody would really want to see Cloud in another game (or ever again, for that matter). Characters earlier than Cloud would be acceptable, but that would elicit "???"'s from crowds these days. Besides, aren't S-E making their own crappy Smash Brothers clone out of FF characters?

No More Heroes! I heard Suda 51 wanted Travis Touchdown to be in Smash Brothers. He would certainly be lively. One of his taunts would just be a torrent of *bleep* swears.

Rayman! His is probably the only Western character set that would fit in with the game's tone. Especially the Rabbids. Hold on...

Assassin's Creed! One of these guys would work too.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The latest lowdown:

To summarize:

*sigh*
I wish E3 would come soon

Blocked the damn screen, for starters :(
I will allow myself to get Hype one more time.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Travis Touchdown would be a sound addition.

I decided not to go to E3 this year. It's become less and less fun over the years, especially since the loss of Kentia Hall (the cheap booths, which always had crazy and innovative things going on), and last year I wasn't even motivated to wait in line for the Wii-U demo stations. E3 is interesting, in that you actually get a lot more video game news by NOT going - press coverage of E3 is great, but there's just so much to see there a person won't be able to catch everything going on.

Ah, I wasn't sure if you were a journalist. Cool. :p

What about the swag?

I'd be okay with that.

That Melee trailer was pretty much Melee graphics over the Smash 64 engine, and the Brawl trailer was Brawl graphics over the Melee engine... but even still, 4 months after Kid Icarus has gone gold. Can't see it happening.
IDK much about game cycles but I think it's safe to say that the art department arnt designing characters and such until the final few weeks. I assume it's like pre-production for animation ... the people designing the characters and assets or making storyboards shouldn't still be doing stuff at the end of the project and on top of that there's the post-production so even the animators arnt all working until the final day because post production takes time. KI was supposed to come out some time ago (it got delayed) and on top of that we know of Nintendo games that got great trailers out in 4 months (The first LoZ-TP trailer was done in about 4 months. Not only that but it was a large 3D environment with tons of stuff in it. Smash should be ... smash, unless Sakurai turns it into a Power Stones thing I don't see why they can't fake game-play with the brawl engine for the trailer and on-top of that the brawl trailer shows dick all in the way of move-sets for new characters other then MK and Pitt). Wouldn't be out of the question to think that maybe some team has been working on Smash (high profile IP BTW) much early this year.

As for characters, I'm having a hard time choosing more than 5 to be honest. Who else? Meta Knight, ZSS and Pit weren't exactly heavy hitters when the Brawl trailer was released. Wario and Snake made the trailer for me. They've exhausted damn near every first party Nintendo character. I can't think of anyone at the level of a MK, ZSS and Pit, let alone a Wario or Snake.

Palutena is in there 100%. The wrestler from Rhythm Heaven is a lock. Mega Man would be nice. Besides that, who else is there? Waluigi? Rosalina? Bowser Jr?
They are FAR from "exhausting" Nintendo Ips. Smash isn't about just the top series and nothing else, there's tons of series that could get characters. GS/ The Advanced Wars series/ The Battalion Wars series/ S&P/ P-O could all have characters in Smash 4.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Wii U is far more powerful than the HD twins, and Nintendo is displeased by the current rumors. The article goes as far as to state that Nintendo is flat out pissed at the analyst. However, it won't say anything at this time because of its own NDAs

I am so making a gif out of that.

Has this been the longest console media blackout in the history of the industry?

We're talking a full year here with absolutely nothing solid except for the scraps about NiN a few months ago.

Gotta say, my hype is near zero. Not because I'm not interested, but because we've been left utterly in the dark for so long now.

Log4Girlz

No idea. Im just gonna pretend it is and eat some cookies.

Could have sworn it was posted a few days ago and people questioned its legitimacy. I really don't know what to expect at this point. I will be pleasantly surprised if its more powerful than the HD twins by a noticeable margin.

AzaK

OK, this build up is too much. I can't take it any more so it's time to commit thread suicide.

I really, really hope Nintendo are not putting resources into Smash Bros please...I hate that game.

been nice knowing you all :)

Seriously though, there must be something I'm missing because I've tried to play it and it basically seems like a flashy random number generator.

qq more

OK, this build up is too much. I can't take it any more so it's time to commit thread suicide.

I really, really hope Nintendo are not putting resources into Smash Bros please...I hate that game.

Seriously though, there must be something I'm missing because I've tried to play it and it basically seems like a flashy random number generator.

...Flashy random number generator? Please explain.

Redford

aka Cabbie

carygrantgetout.gif

Ah, I wasn't sure if you were a journalist. Cool. :p

What about the swag?
I'm a game programmer (smartphone these days), so I can get into E3 that way. I've never been good at getting swag, you kinda have to be a greedy asshole-type, or media, to really get a ton of swag anymore :) That or go with a group and tell each other where the good swag is (the first few years I went with groups, but it was also easier to get great swag).

The most fun I ever had was the 2006 E3 - that year the Wii was super hot, and playing all the games and tech demos was awesome. And I got to actually go to Nintendo's press conference (you really need some good industry contacts to go to those if you aren't media), and Nintendo's afterparty, and both of those were damn fun.

This year with the Wii-U it could be pretty cool - but that's an expensive bet to make, what with airfare and hotel stays. Maybe if I was crazy enough to fly down in the morning of the first day, and fly back that night...

I say Sonic and Snake should return, I mean, cuz why not. No extra effort.

I'm thinking all third party characters will be moved to DLC. It makes licensing less of a hassle for future re-releases.

First DLC Pack: Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown

Mega Man is the most requested 3rd party character by fans, Suda has expressed interest in getting Travis into Smash Bros.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Could have sworn it was posted a few days ago and people questioned its legitimacy. I really don't know what to expect at this point. I will be pleasantly surprised if its more powerful than the HD twins by a noticeable margin.
Well shit, I was excited for a few seconds. :( I dont check this thread much so Im not exactly up to date on which days the Wii U is powerful and which days its a speak n spell.

Bagu

Yes it was posted and yes its legitimacy was put into question.

Log4Girlz

Has this been the longest console media blackout in the history of the industry?

We're talking a full year here with absolutely nothing solid except for the scraps about NiN a few months ago.

Gotta say, my hype is near zero. Not because I'm not interested, but because we've been left utterly in the dark for so long now.

Who knows. In today's day and age, an announcement of an electronics product over a year before launch is pretty stupid. They should learn from Apple.

Not again :(
Well, just reposting this for those poor sods who missed out on whenever it was posted before, and don't want to go through the previous pages.

You should visit the thread more often. You're not going to find something that's over a day or so old and not posted.

I tried BY2K, but so far I got nothing.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wow never seen any GameCube revealed videos. Its so different (In good and bad ways) to bad they don't do them like this anymore. I recently watched the iMac reveal where Steve Jobs had to get a camera guy on stage for people to see the iMac up close. Press conferences have come a long way.

Finished part two. Everyone's excited for Melee. (They thought Ridley was a playable character I'de bet :p) gonna watch the rest within the day. I wonder if theres videos on youtube of the gba or n64 or any other Nintendo system reveals. I'll have to look after watching thie rest of this.
TechTV covered that and the Microsoft conference live that year. Much more professional camera work with direct feeds of the games. Sure wish that old archive footage would be made available on the net.

Who knows. In today's day and age, an announcement of an electronics product over a year before launch is pretty stupid. They should learn from Apple.

I doubt the gaming industry could keep a lid on an impending hardware release up until a week before launch.

Besides, those of you who remember the US Saturn launch can attest to why this is a bad idea. The gaming industry isn't the same as the smartphone/tablet/whatever industry, no matter how much analysts think it is.

Anyway, why so much Ike hate? He's one of my favorites in Brawl. Probably just because he's a freaking beast.

qq more

A lot of diehard Smash Bros. players hate Brawl because they added random elements that can help/hurt quite a bit, so they can lose based on luck rather than skill.

Tripping was pretty annoying but I never found it a game breaker. Maybe it's because I'm just a casual player but I never noticed how random it is compared to Melee. *shrugs*

Deguello

I'm thinking all third party characters will be moved to DLC. It makes licensing less of a hassle for future re-releases.

First DLC Pack: Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown

Mega Man is the most requested 3rd party character by fans, Suda has expressed interest in getting Travis into Smash Bros.

Smash Bros. better not have DLC. I'd rather the game be complete when it comes out and gouging for characters is pretty grubby.

A lot of diehard Smash Bros. players hate Brawl because they added random elements that can help/hurt quite a bit, so they can lose based on luck rather than skill.

There's barely anything that is random. Tripping, and some moves have a small chance of critical, but that's about it. I can understand why hardcore Smash players have a problem with it, but most people wouldn't even notice.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm a game programmer (smartphone these days), so I can get into E3 that way. I've never been good at getting swag, you kinda have to be a greedy asshole-type, or media, to really get a ton of swag anymore :) That or go with a group and tell each other where the good swag is (the first few years I went with groups, but it was also easier to get great swag).

The most fun I ever had was the 2006 E3 - that year the Wii was super hot, and playing all the games and tech demos was awesome. And I got to actually go to Nintendo's press conference (you really need some good industry contacts to go to those if you aren't media), and Nintendo's afterparty, and both of those were damn fun.

This year with the Wii-U it could be pretty cool - but that's an expensive bet to make, what with airfare and hotel stays. Maybe if I was crazy enough to fly down in the morning of the first day, and fly back that night...

Ssssshit, you really lucked out. Did they allow pics of the afterparty?

There's barely anything that is random. Tripping, and some moves have a small chance of critical, but that's about it. I can understand why hardcore Smash players have a problem with it, but most people wouldn't even notice.

This. But I can see it being a little overwhelming when there's a certain mixture of items, characters and stages.

Please scrap the bullshit storymode thing. Just have it nice and basic, then add DLC episodes if they really want to.

Anth0ny

aGaWO.gif

HylianTom

Banned
I'd love to see Travis Touchdown added to Smash, even though I'm not really his biggest fan (own the first NMH but not the second). My reason? It's be Nintendo essentially saying to third parties, "hey.. check this out. Suda treated us well, and now we're pushing his characters like we do our own. His game is now a part of the Nintendo universe, and our crazy-rabid fans will be more likely to buy his games in the future. Take the dindamn hint."

I'd love to see Travis Touchdown added to Smash, even though I'm not really his biggest fan (own the first NMH but not the second). My reason? It's be Nintendo essentially saying to third parties, "hey.. check this out. Suda treated us well, and now we're pushing his characters like we do our own. His game is now a part of the Nintendo universe, and our crazy-rabid fans will be more likely to buy his games in the future. Take the dindamn hint."

*Looks at Kojima*

Hmmm... not buying that.

Top Bottom