• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Shurayuki

It took me almost a day to make it because I couldn't find something to go with the controller. But my idea in this is that there wouldn't be a player using the Upad. You can have a two player or four player game that uses Wiimotes and the Upad works like a map or maybe gives instructions/guidance.

Phew! Totally with you though, wasted away yesterday night making a gif for Starcraft.
Really interesting how they manage to get the social multiplayer component down, especially with the limited Pad support and Wiimotes not included (?).

Heh Ace, real RPG's, now that would be interesting. Stuff like Left4Dead is at least already playing with similar ideas. Could be nice.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Pictures of the back of the console make it look so enigmatic. So much we don't know.

rich-boy-profile.jpg

Anth0ny

So awesome.
Still remember this, so much excitement! XD

EDIT:
With Peach's reveal..twice and Samus fighting Ridley.

Sooooooo good.

I'm starting to doubt an appearance of Smash Bros at this E3. The Melee and Brawl reveal trailers were god tier. Not sure if Sakurai could cook something up that can hang at that level in... 4 months?

Pictures of the back of the console make it look so enigmatic. So much we don't know.

rich-boy-profile.jpg
The oddest part is the little nubs on the side.
fOYGi.jpg

They almost look like places to put straps...
Sooooooo good.

I'm starting to doubt an appearance of Smash Bros at this E3. The Melee and Brawl reveal trailers were god tier. Not sure if Sakurai could cook something up that can hang at that level in... 4 months?

A CGI trailer with a few new arrivals is doable, but probably not anything with gameplay.

Sooooooo good.

A CG trailer could be done in four months, but it's a question of whether he's designed the characters, decided who some of the newcomers will be, what their weapons and styles will be, etc.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Well we all know
GoldenSunIsaac.jpg

is coming back as a playable character, they might's well confirm it.

Sorry Ace, I don't think anyone wants to see Mathew. ;)

xcm-i-case-wii-install-and-review-20070413043713693-000.jpg

and

38759-500-375.jpg

for more Wii inside stuff

shows how much that dvd drive takes up. I wonder if the Wii U will have a more portable drive (like a laptop style drive)

I also wonder what the "new" Wii (the one that gets rid of Gamecube parts) looks like

Imagine how small it could be without the DVD-drive, if it only used 32GB flash cards as "physical media".

Anyway, you guy's think they'll be building Wii components into this thing or just somewhat emulating for BC?

Well we all know
GoldenSunIsaac.jpg

is coming back as a playable character, they might's well confirm it.

Sorry Ace, I don't think anyone wants to see Mathew. ;)

And why would they?
We all want this:

DfikP.png

Such a BA.

Imagine how small it could be without the DVD-drive, if it only used 32GB flash cards as "physical media".

Anyway, you guy's think they'll be building Wii components into this thing or just somewhat emulating for BC?

They aren't using 1T-SRAM, so they can't put Wii parts into it. It'll have to be all emulated via software somehow.

I'd say Magnus is probably the only lock right now.

Skyward Sword Link, obviously, but that is more of a redesign than a new character. Rosalina might be in, as well.

Anth0ny

A CG trailer could be done in four months, but it's a question of whether he's designed the characters, decided who some of the newcomers will be, what their weapons and styles will be, etc.

I'd be okay with that.

That Melee trailer was pretty much Melee graphics over the Smash 64 engine, and the Brawl trailer was Brawl graphics over the Melee engine... but even still, 4 months after Kid Icarus has gone gold. Can't see it happening.

As for characters, I'm having a hard time choosing more than 5 to be honest. Who else? Meta Knight, ZSS and Pit weren't exactly heavy hitters when the Brawl trailer was released. Wario and Snake made the trailer for me. They've exhausted damn near every first party Nintendo character. I can't think of anyone at the level of a MK, ZSS and Pit, let alone a Wario or Snake.

Palutena is in there 100%. The wrestler from Rhythm Heaven is a lock. Mega Man would be nice. Besides that, who else is there? Waluigi? Rosalina? Bowser Jr?

Linkhero1

I'd be okay with that.

That Melee trailer was pretty much Melee graphics over the Smash 64 engine, and the Brawl trailer was Brawl graphics over the Melee engine... but even still, 4 months after Kid Icarus has gone gold. Can't see it happening.

Well I'm not sure how the development cycles flow, but maybe they already assembled a small team to start working on the next Smash near the end of the Kid Icarus Uprising development?

I'd be okay with that.

As for characters, I'm having a hard time choosing more than 5 to be honest. Who else? Meta Knight, ZSS and Pit weren't exactly heavy hitters when the Brawl trailer was released. Wario and Snake made the trailer for me. They've exhausted damn near every first party Nintendo character. I can't think of anyone at the level of a MK, ZSS and Pit, let alone a Wario or Snake.

Palutena is in there 100%. The wrestler from Rhythm Heaven is a lock. Mega Man would be nice. Besides that, who else is there? Waluigi? Rosalina? Bowser Jr?

I tend to think Nintendo treats Waluigi pretty much the same way Capcom now treats Mega Man.

I would play as Waluigi, and I'd love to see a fresh game with him.

The oddest part is the little nubs on the side.
fOYGi.jpg

They almost look like places to put straps...

A CGI trailer with a few new arrivals is doable, but probably not anything with gameplay.

Aren't they to stop you putting it in a tight space?
I.e. there'd always be airflow as the nubs create a small gap.
No other console maker thought of this?

Koopa Kids and Bowser Jr. as playable Smash characters would be amazing. Put them ALL in as "one" character and tag team 'em out kind of like the Pokemon trainer but on a whole new level.

That or all I ask is that I don't have to wait another 18-20 years to see the Koopa Kids in a game again. :/

Gleethor

I'd be okay with that.

It's not like they were all heavily involved with KI up until the day before it came out. With a game as huge as Smash, preliminary work has definitely been under way for a bit. Also, how are MK and Pit not heavy hitters? Tons of people wanted them in and neither was a surprise. You can't think of ANYONE on the level of the Brawl reveals? Little Mac? Ridley? Mii Fighter? All three are much more likely than the Wrestler.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm boooored. Someone entertain me.

And no way we get anything Smash related this year. Too soon since Icarus went gold.

Bagu

The more I look at the Wii U case, the more I want it to morph into the N64, with the N logo replaced by the U logo.

Terrell

I realize I shouldn't drag this thread back to last week's bad news, but...

I was thinking about how sad the Sega situation is for Wii U. In the short term, and provided the Jet Set Radio rumour was true, it's lost an exclusive, and a great sounding one at that. Despite Nintendo's capability to carry their own platforms, I still feel that they need all the third party support they can get. In the long term, it's more worrying.
Among the Sega titles published for Wii were House of the Dead: Overkill, Sonic Colors, Let's Tap, Madworld, The Conduit, Nights: Journey of Dreams, Samba Di Amigo, and Ghost Squad. Obviously these are of varying levels of quality, but I don't think any other third party even tried to bring interesting exclusives to the platform like Sega did. At best there were a few one-offs like Zack and Wiki from Capcom and Ubisoft's Rabbids Go Home and Red Steel 2. Without Sega's support, Wii's software line-up looks just that extra bit worse to the game enthusiast. Wii U won't have this problem if it gets ports of all major multiplatform games, but that's a big if. It would be a real shame for Wii U if there's no major publisher like Sega willing to really take chances on software for the platform.
The best case scenario is that the other majors invest early in Wii U to avoid a repeat of the profits they missed out on by betting against Wii last time.

What Jet Set Radio rumor??!? SOMEONE MUST TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Isaac got so hot with age. <3!

:p

I was just about to say that. SWEET JESUS. And I don't even LIKE beards!

Anth0ny

It's not like they were all heavily involved with KI up until the day before it came out. With a game as huge as Smash, preliminary work has definitely been under way for a bit. Also, how are MK and Pit not heavy hitters? Tons of people wanted them in and neither was a surprise. You can't think of ANYONE on the level of the Brawl reveals? Little Mac? Ridley? Mii Fighter? All three are much more likely than the Wrestler.

I wouldn't have considered MK or Pit heavy hitters in 2006.

I forgot about Ridley. That big bastard better be in there.

I was kidding about the wrestler. But not really.

I want Dan Hibiki in the next Smash Bros. And yes I'm serious.

I've never expected any Wii components to be in it as they would want to save on that cost.

Portal pad (PU-Pad? haha) Nice work, love it.

Thanks. I can see GLaDOS also making insults from the controller while you play. Maybe something like using "waggle" to play the game.

I'm boooored. Someone entertain me.

And no way we get anything Smash related this year. Too soon since Icarus went gold.

I made a Portal 2, Wii U gif if it will help.

fernoca

What Jet Set Radio rumor??!? SOMEONE MUST TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!
That the game was apparently been in the (early) works for the Wii U and canned. Was been done by Headstrong (House of the Dead Overkill), but Sega is currently going through some problems and cancelled a few games they were making.

Wonder if it was related to the Jet Set Radio-reboot Headstrong (back when they were Kuju); pitched for the Wii.

Recently was thinking about how during last year's Wii U montage Dirt (from Codemasters) was one of the games. Recently Codemasters announced WRC3 for 360/PS3/PC and Vita and many found weird no Wii U mention (but expected because of NDAs).

If anything, guess it shows that Codemasters is on-board since last year, even when WRC hasn't been mentioned for Wii U...yet.

Nevermind, WRC is been done by Milestone. Codemasters jumping on it was an rumor. :p

I like to stand my consoles vertically but will gladly make an exception for the Wii U.

No way the new Smash just adds a bunch of characters without leaving a few behind so who won't be returning from Brawl?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Does anyone know of a debate scene where there's a bit of an argument going on I could use for a gif I want to make?

I like to stand my consoles vertically but will gladly make an exception for the Wii U.

No way the new Smash just adds a bunch of characters without leaving a few behind so who won't be returning from Brawl?

Ike and Lucario, first and foremost. Then sadly toon link most likely :(.

Anth0ny

Everyone better be back. Including Melee dudes.

But if I had to guess... probably Lucario and Toon Link. Replaced by gen 6 Lucario equivalent and whatever iteration of child Link is popular in 2014.

ShadowOS

Banned
Ike and Lucario, first and foremost. Then sadly toon link most likely :(.
i hate hate HATE lucario! i was so pissed when they ditched mewtwo for lucario. what a stupid character... no real relevance to the pokemon series, just as common as the next pokemon, and in no way as iconic as mewtwo. the only thing worse would have been blaziken - i was ripping my hair out when listening to fan requests all that time ago >_>

ike will get replaced with whichever FE character there is at the time of the next smash release (though i'd kill for them to make lyn a playable character).

i think toon link will stay. toon link essentially replaced young link from melee, and toon link's following and uniqueness is too strong to drop.

Azure J

Smash talk?

Everything else pales in comparison to my desire to see Mike Jones (StarTropics), Takamaru, Palutena, Medusa, Kamek, Lip Daisy & Toad playable.

And yes I totally just added names as they came to me after Mike & Taka. :lol

Top Bottom