• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman dies while trying to live on sunlight diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in a diet of sunlight only.

http://news.msn.co.nz/worldnews/8458186/swiss-woman-died-trying-to-live-on-sunlight

Swiss authorities have confirmed a woman starved to death after she embarked on a "spiritual diet" and tried to survive on sunlight alone.

The woman, aged in her fifties, is reported to have stopped eating and drinking in 2010 after watching a documentary about an Indian guru who claimed to have lived that way for 70 years.

She prepared for the diet by reading a book by Australian "breatharian" Ellen Greve, who goes by the name Jasmuheen.

As directed, in the first week the Swiss woman did not eat or drink anything — even spitting out her saliva — before resuming drinking for occasional periods.

She told her children she would stop fasting if it became dangerous but Swiss authorities confirmed this week the woman died in January 2011
in the town of Wolfhalden in eastern Switzerland.

A spokeswoman for local prosecutors said no criminal investigation had begun into the woman's death.

It is the fourth death linked to breatharianism since the practice emerged in the 1990s.

It's weird that it's announced over a year later.

But that is seriously stupid.

Jenov

It is said that the Dragon Warrior can survive for months at a time on nothing but the dew of a single Ginko leaf and the energy of the universe.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
for articles like this, I really think they should be more merciless with the headlines. Something like

'dumb bitch dies'

because what the fuck.

i blame the clouds

85552d1335035730-meteor-shower-thingy-tonight-grandpa-simpson-shakes-fist-cloud1.jpg

LProtag

Ugh, when I worked in a bookstore I actually had to sell people books about this kind of thing without being allowed to tell them how dangerous these courses of action would be.

Nine times out of ten when someone asked for help finding something in the natural medicine section it would be a generally sad affair.

Orayn

I don't find this the least bit funny - Lots of people are killed, injured or sickened on a routine basis by believing in this garbage. If we had better science education and taught people the basic critical thinking skills needed to realize when something is garbage, we'd be better equipped to fight back.

DiscoJer

I don't find this the least bit funny - Lots of people are killed, injured or sickened on a routine basis by believing in this garbage. If we had better science education and taught people the basic critical thinking skills needed to realize when something is garbage, we'd be better equipped to fight back.

4 deaths since the 1990s...that's not exactly a lot in a planet of what, 7 billion people?

I think the bigger problem is the people who are dying because they don't have proper food or water to eat and drink.

Jenov

Who are you talking to? This lady was living in one the best countries for public education. All the critical thinking in the world wasn't going to save her, she was just plain crazy/stupid.

LProtag

4 deaths since the 1990s...that's not exactly a lot in a planet of what, 7 billion people?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the more broad spectrum of alternative medicine, which tells people such things as "if you have cancer you can cure yourself with just water, don't bother with a doctor" or in this case "you can live healthier by just absorbing sunlight and not eating anything".

There's a lot of terrible misinformation that's published and sold without any warning on it, for the express purpose of profit at what will surely be the expense of another. Possibly even, as in this circumstance, their life.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So how exactly was she going to get water into her system? Osmosis? Hell she was even spitting out her saliva!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
And the criminals who promote this shit in order to get rich off people selling books or teaching at seminars walk free.

This world...

Izick

Yeah, it's a shame, but there's always going to be somebody out there who wants to believe in this kind of bullshit no matter what. You can teach them all you want, but there will still be people that will try things that we all know are just plain idiotic.

I'm not saying you're wrong though, teaching more would definitely help tons more people in the long run, but if this woman honestly didn't start to think something was up when she was near starvation, then there may have been something mentally wrong on a different level. Obviously she said that she'd stop if it became dangerous, but she didn't even know when to do that.

Who I really feel bad for are her kids. They're going to have to live without a mother because some asshole that wanted to make a quick buck of a book or class told her that she'd be fine without eating or drinking anything. Fuck, that makes me sick.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

well that's the thing, do we need all these dumb people? I would wager that the answer is 'probably not'.

Also, think of all the sunlight she was using to get her calories, it's a limited resource probably some others had to go without while she was using all theirs.

Also, I just learned that a 'breatharian' exists.

Breatharians believe that a person can give up food and water altogether and live purely off prana, which they also call "living on light" or "living on air." Foremost Breatharian, Jasmuheen, formerly Ellen Greve, is credited with starting today's Breatharian movement. Her Prana Program advises followers to convert to Breatharianism gradually: Become a vegetarian; become a vegan; move to raw foods, then fruits, then liquids and finally prana. You replace physical food with air and light as well as metaphysical nourishment.

cj2jz.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I want a camera on this Jasmuheen 24/7. She can never be alone. Even when taking a shit. Actually, would she ever have to?

apana

It's possible to do meditation and be open to the concept of prana without being crazy, but I admit there are a lot of charlatans out there looking to make a quick buck or feel important.

Raxus

Who are you talking to? This lady was living in one the best countries for public education. All the critical thinking in the world wasn't going to save her, she was just plain crazy/stupid.

Steve Jobs delayed treatment for prostate cancer in order to go on an all vegan diet hoping that would treat it. He delayed a treatment of an early diagnosis by nine months.

Source

Yet to the horror of the tiny circle of intimates in whom he'd confided, Jobs was considering not having the surgery at all. A Buddhist and vegetarian, the Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) CEO was skeptical of mainstream medicine. Jobs decided to employ alternative methods to treat his pancreatic cancer, hoping to avoid the operation through a special diet - a course of action that hasn't been disclosed until now.

Needless to say, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Please eat healthy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Steve Jobs delayed treatment for prostate cancer in order to go on an all vegan diet hoping that would treat it. He delayed a treatment of an early diagnosis by nine months.

Source

Needless to say, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Please eat healthy.

pancreatic. He was also one of the lucky few that get diagnosed with pancreatic cancer to have a treatable form if caught early (which it was). As I understand it, normally pancreatic cancer is 'that's it you're fucked' but his type was not like that. Until he 'treated it' by using moonbeams and rainbows and it spread into the 'you're fucked' kind.

Jenov

Source

Crazy doesn't discriminate.

Onemic

This entire time I thought the OP said that she died due to living off of nothing but Sunny Delight. What a way to go if that would have been the case.

Orayn

I . . . she wasn't from some 3rd world country where she didn't have access to information. She really has no excuse

I blame the purple promoting this crap. Syne people have a want/need to believe in stuff like this, and serving them the wrong kind of nonsense basically guarantees their death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom