• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I wish I could work through it. I've been unemployed for the last three months and nothing on the horizon. Stupid crisis...

I need money to buy stuff and all sorts :(

Same here. Three months and counting. :/

nordique

None of those, not even Uncharted, count as "megaton sellers" or whatever you'd like to call them. Despite some of those games being extremely high quality, they're not selling loads of PS3s.

I dunno.

I think they sell PS3's, they get hyped, and afaik those games still have sold millions of copies of games.

Uncharted for example is one hell of a critically acclaimed PS3 series.

My point was, the exclusivity helped the PS3 remain relevant in the core collective conscious. It may not be sold to everyone who purchases a PS3, but it adds to what makes the PS3 a unique platform. Had these titles not been exclusive, also available on 360 for example, that is to say *not made by a Sony-owned studio, and also released on the 360, I doubt many "core" gamers would have bothered to pick one up if they already owned a 360, or would have just picked up a 360 in the first place instead of a PS3.

This is just a simple point as to where exclusives by western-owned studios can beneficial. I support the idea of Nintendo investing in another studio or two (perhaps a European one instead of a North American one?) simply to expand their portfolio, as Sony did. It helped Sony in that sense, to secure some solid titles.

This does not mean I disagree with Iwata on why its a bad idea to simply purchase studios rather than form agreements between them (which I think is a smarter move) or that I think the Wii U success depends on the core market (which it obviously doesn't; that would be a small market which Nintendo isn't trying to appeal exclusively to) but the core certainly is a backbone that needs to be addressed to.

Xane

We're officially less than 2 weeks away, guys!

Exams in two weeks ...
B09nY.gif

After E3 is hype time until detail time

The slow unfolding of things we still had hope for.

"Oh, so retail games downloadable at launch but no way to bring in old Wii stuff for six months? Well, erm, I guess that's alright."

"That price is a little high, but I guess it comes with a controller dock."

"Oh...that game they showed at E3 doesn't have a date? Well, I bet it comes soon."

"The launch titles are the only releases for the first month? D:"

Happens to every system.

BD1

Banned
After E3 is hype time until detail time

The slow unfolding of things we still had hope for.

"Oh, so retail games downloadable at launch but no way to bring in old Wii stuff for six months? Well, erm, I guess that's alright."

"That price is a little high, but I guess it comes with a controller dock."

"Oh...that game they showed at E3 doesn't have a date? Well, I bet it comes soon."

"The launch titles are the only releases for the first month? D:"

Happens to every system.

Quiet you.

nordique

The possibilities for asymmetric multi-player are truly boundless. Let's hope nintendo release the pad at a sane price (assuming they will support more than one, that is).

If the Wii U ends up with a very convincing online plan, then the need for two controllers - even if possible - may be negated by having the same "in the same room" experience online, which seems to be the "next step" from Xbox Live.

Almost like keeping in touch with your friends over your cell phone, but with games. "Game" text messages? A more social experience between users? Some camera streaming in game?

I really am excited about this aspect the most. Nintendo has been so quiet on the online front, and many presume them to be still figuring out how to light a fire, never mind figure out online.

But the quiet dog bites the hardest, non?

Coolwhip

Banned
This is the reason i want a bit of grunt in that cpu and gpu, to be able ti provide local multiplayet assyemtrical cooperative campaign missions. This will add so much value in the single player campaign as you can choose to play the game through using each of the three methods and potentially have three different gameplay experiences in one game.

We will get a wii u version of waggle most likely and all the potential will be unused.

Thraktor

I second that motion, as I got nothing here.

ed: wait, I think it's right there on the same page, a tad earlier than those 'Steve Rabin, Redmond' entries. I guess it's the same inventor, but in .. BotHell?

I think he's referring to this one. Not directly related to the Wii U, but an interesting method of displaying assembly code in a more immediately comprehensible manner.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
E3Bear.jpg

I eagerly await the return of this.
Actually, looking at that again... I think it's just rust and discolored paint. The dumpster was probably originally painted white... or else that part is primer.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
E3Bear.jpg

I eagerly await the return of this.
I wonder if gamekyo will return for another photo session with the crates. To photograph something as trivial as a paint tear looking like a bear is probably not something on their agenda, but nevertheless it would be nice with an updated pic. I can perhaps in my E3 thread reach out to the press to take a photo of the bear, or do we have any Los Angeles resident in this thread that could do the work?

The photos of the crates started appearing on the 5th of June last year. E3 2011 was held June 7-9, Nintendo's media briefing was on the 7th of June. If it's something similar this year we could be seeing crate photos as early as the 2nd of June.

nordique

Nintendo have games that sell more in the west than any of the games mentioned(odd how you didn't mention Sonys biggest franchise GT), I don't really understand your point(unless you mean games created by western teams).

The idea is simply increasing your portfolio.

No franchise that either Sony or Microsoft has, is on the level of Mario or the Wii ___ series.

Nintendo's "every gamer" games are not only incredibly polished, but also very very mass market appealing.

But lets imagine two consoles:

One has Mario, Zelda, and Wii Sports.

The second one has Mario, Zelda, Wii Sports, "Realistic race sim" akin to GT, "Action game" akin to God or War, "adventure games" akin to Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Uncharted, etc...

The second console immediately becomes more appealing.

This is why Sony is trying to "rip" off Nintendo's franchises like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Because they lack the celebrity status of Mario, they will not have the same success...but they still will be appealing titles to a large group of people owning Sony's consoles and become an additional title. Its kind of like Nintendo choosing to release some of their backlog of Wii games not released in the US/Canada....its still another game to play even if its not a mega-seller in potential.

Microsoft never went wrong with creating Forza, and their systems are much more appealing as a result. The games are incredibly polished, and for the thousands of gamers who would only pick up Playstations for GT, now have a reason to not invest in that platform when a perfectly viable alternative - in some cases to some gamers superior - is available. That +1 for Microsoft.

And, Sony never went wrong with Killzone. Sure its not Halo. I personally don't think its even that great of an FPS (as mainstream as Halo as become, its still more fun to play than Killzon) but it does appeal to a certain gamer, adds appeal to the PS consoles, and can add sales for Sony.

Same thing with Kinect Sports, etc...

Even if these causal Kinect and Move games are nothing but rip-offs of Wii Sports, and have no chance of selling the mega-multi-20+ million copies of games like Nintendo's brands did, they still make the console/hardware more appealing.

His point?

Software sells, and more software is never a bad choice especially if it appeals where it needs to appeal to (in this case, the core gamer)

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;38109609 said:
I wonder if gamekyo will return for another photo session with the crates. To photograph something as trivial as a paint tear looking like a bear is probably not something on their agenda, but nevertheless it would be nice with an updated pic. I can perhaps in my E3 thread reach out to the press to take a photo of the bear, or do we have any Los Angeles resident in this thread that could do the work?

The photos of the crates started appearing on the 5th of June last year. E3 2011 was held June 7-9, Nintendo's media briefing was on the 7th of June. If it's something similar this year we could be seeing crate photos as early as the 2nd of June.
I wanna see dramatic photos of discarded cigarette packs, and lots of speculation about whose they were, etc.

BD1

Banned
Rösti;38109609 said:

I bet they start arriving Friday, for a weekend set up.

Oh god, we are talking about trade show drayage now! Somebody leak something!!

Rösti;38109609 said:

Crate pics are exciting.

It's finally physical proof that something is coming, not just talk.

Neiteio

What game is everyone playing to take their mind off E3? For me, I've been revisiting Bulletstorm, part of the holy trinity of shooters alongside Vanquish and Kid Icarus Uprising.

I'm tempted to pick up Starhawk and Alan Wake: American Nightmare (PC) as well...

What game is everyone playing to take their mind off E3? For me, I've been revisiting Bulletstorm, part of the holy trinity of shooters alongside Vanquish and Kid Icarus Uprising.

I'm tempted to pick up Starhawk and Alan Wake: American Nightmare (PC) as well...

Dragon's Dogma and FFXIII-2 are my main ones right now.

Neiteio

Crate pics are exciting.

It's finally physical proof that something is coming, not just talk.
What if the crates are full of folding chairs, thumb tacks or mail-order brides for Iwata?

iG71FVL257roU.png

I am coming to drop the
moon.
If Iwata is the moon, who's on top of the Clock Tower calling him down?

Also, 2012 is the perfect year for a MM remake, 2012 being the end of the world and all.

Azure J

Same one as always, Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3. Still the best Capcom fighter this gen imo.

HylianTom

Banned

I'm about 1/3rd through Fragile Dreams, playing a little bit every night.

And.. I've never brought it up here at NeoGAF, but.. in order to hype myself up and review the history of this past generation, I've listened to every RawMeatCowboy podcast I could find - from Webisode 1 back in 2005 (when it was called NintendoNow.blogspot.com) all the way to present day (in the 350s). I started back in November of last year, and have just seven webisodes left, so I'm all but destined to meet my goal of making it through all of them before E3 starts.

It's been incredibly educational as far as history of the past 7 years is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom