• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it'll be 1.5-2 GB
THIS but I get the feeling Nintendo's misstep will be on the software side not the hardware side....
they'll either come out and totally under-deliver in terms of 1st party/3rd party exclusive(s) or it'll launch at 349.99 with a 8gb flash hard drive or it'll have USB 1.0 or something on it making any external drive a pain.

Now that's a thread worth leaving alone, though I guess the main ones to be concerned about are gone.

Erm, I'm sure you're a wonderful person but really, how is everyone here assuming you know something? Did you predict something spot-on?

Yep. You haven't been following the threads long I see.

methodman

Banned
For the love of God, if you know you will put your foot in your mouth, please do not post in this thread. E3 is literally next week and GAF is an amazing place to be during it.

I'm predicting two or three people from here being banned, lol. Just keep calm and wait for E3 before getting banned.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I predict that thread has over 500 posts by morning.

I'll post what I posted there, I don't think it will run on WiiU the way Epic wants it to run, officially speaking. I do think the wiiU will be able to support it at some base level, meaning games using the engine can be scaled down to wiiU.

I'll post what I posted there, I don't think it will run on WiiU the way Epic wants it to run, officially speaking. I do think the wiiU will be able to support it at some base level, meaning games using the engine can be scaled down to wiiU.

Well like I said, Geoff specifically said it was said at GDC. Wasn't the dev kit bump after that?

About the only thing with that GK's tweet is that the info was given to him at GDC. Before Nintendo started making their tweaks. Not saying UE4 was included, but at that time it seems too soon to say it's definitive considering what Nintendo did after that.

Guess not. So what did you leak ahead of time?

Original target specs given by Nintendo and that the new dev kits had come out in January.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I posted in the UE4 thread, was the supposed dev kit bump before or after GDC?

Reports of the apparent devkit bump are interesting to me, because I've seen numbers of one particular benchmark comparing two devkit revisions around the time people were reporting the bump, and the difference was literally just a couple of frames.

About the only thing with that GK's tweet is that the info was given to him at GDC. Before Nintendo started making their tweaks. Not saying UE4 was included, but at that time it seems too soon to say it's definitive considering what Nintendo did after that.

Original target specs given by Nintendo and that the new dev kits had come out in January.
especially considering the whole point of the tweaks was to get this engine running wasn't it? Or some supposed engine that we concluded was unreal engine 4 because it was the only one that fit. That and the rumours that it was running on it.

Reports of the apparent devkit bump are interesting to me, because I've seen numbers of one particular benchmark comparing two devkit revisions around the time people were reporting the bump, and the difference was literally just a couple of frames.
interesting. wish we could know more about it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
As I posted in the UE4 thread, was the supposed dev kit bump before or after GDC?

I doubt that the bump was THAT significant. Don't forget that Epic was trying to convince Microsoft and Sony to bump up their specs... I kind of doubt Wii U was ever seriously considered once they learned the general power.

Anth0ny

Hmm... how shall I put this.

It would be really strange if PS4 and 720 do end up running UE4, and Wii U doesn't. It would be current gen all over again from a third party perspective.

Not that I really give a shit about third party games on my Nintendo consoles. meh.

antonz

Indeed all of the bumps have mostly consisted of gaining a few Frames per second. take 2-3 bumps and it adds up a bit but its basically taking a mid range gpu and upgrading to a slightly better mdi range gpu. It boosts but nothing amazing

Interesting.

Saying "Wii U will be unreal engine 3" is also very weird wording, I could be digging too deep though.

I stand by my prediction, wiiU won't officially run unreal engine 4. I bet Epic has parameters that constitute what UE4 officially is, and the wiiU doesn't meet those parameters, but it will still be able to run the engine on a level that allows games that run on those parameters to be scaled down.

Am I making sense? BG make me sound less dumb....go!

Neiteio

It would be really strange if PS4 and 720 do end up running UE4, and Wii U doesn't. It would be current gen all over again from a third party perspective.

Not that I really give a shit about third party games on my Nintendo consoles. meh.
Did anyone think otherwise? We've known all along that PS4 and 720 will be far more powerful than WiiU, to the point where games made for them won't be able to run on WiiU.

effzee

I wasn't expecting it to run on WiiU but its still disappointing.

Oh well as long as the gap between the systems isn't as jarring as the current gen.

I think most 3rd Parties will end up making their own engines instead of paying for an overpriced one.

Did anyone think otherwise? We've known all along that PS4 and 720 will be far more powerful than WiiU, to the point where games made for them won't be able to run on WiiU.
No i doubt it will be that far or prepare to go broke paying for them.

Neiteio

I wasn't expecting it to run on WiiU but its still disappointing.

Oh well as long as the gap between the systems isn't as jarring as the current gen.
All games on all systems will now be in HD, which should make the gap less jarring than Wii in the current generation. But yeah, I'm not expecting, say, GTA built for PS4 and 720 to be portable in any way to WiiU. It'll be the third-party situation all over again, only this time Nintendo's games won't look like standard-def shitstains on modern-day TVs.

AzaK

Again, what makes you think we can expect this? If the system is on par with PS3 and 360 as numerous sources have reported, wouldn't that be around 512MB of RAM?

It's on par as much as a Ferrari is on par with a fiat. They both drive and generally do the same things. If you drive your Ferrari like your drive your Fiat, you'd probably get the same sort of results.

Spammer with the same host, blame mibbit.
I enabled flood protection so those punks will be autokicked now.
edit: Unbanned you but you left right before I message you

What's the IRC url?

It doesn't really matter to me, but it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to go all out CPU wise and then suddenly completely cut down on ram. So I believe the 1.5-2gb reports.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Guys, I want to have contest during the press conference. I virtual version of BINGO. Grand prize will be money down towards a Wii U pre-order, plus 5 runner up prizes.

How it would work is that all the participants will be sent PDF files containing three randomly generated BINGO cards. The squares will be filled in with Games, People and Wii U Features that could be revealed during the press event. As they watch, players check off the items on their cards as they are revealed. When you get a whole row filled in one of the cards, you type in "Bingo!" in the thread on GAF. Alternatively, I might set up an email account to do the same for people who are banned or don't plan to have a computer in front of them.

What do you guys think? It seems like a fun way to get hyped for the event, but I would need a little help with organizing and judging the results (for the subjective calls).

-------

Edit: I forgot to link to the website: http://www.checkboxbingo.com

All games on all systems will now be in HD, which should make the gap less jarring than Wii in the current generation. But yeah, I'm not expecting, say, GTA built for PS4 and 720 to be portable in any way to WiiU. It'll be the third-party situation all over again, only this time Nintendo's games won't look like standard-def shitstains on modern-day TVs.

And going by the type of gamer than nintendo is going after this gen it shows that they are really out of touch with what they want. When third party support drops I'll turn to Microsoft next round.

I'm sure the vast majority of Nintendo fans who cared about 3rd party games for the last 16 years either owned another console or had a gaming PC, so I don't see this really being a big deal one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom