• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take back because Shimizu was the original producer of DKJB. Then Kensuke Tanabe (Nintendo SPD3) took it with Retro. But maybe Shimizu gets it back. He worked on the awesome Game Boy Donkey Kong 94 game.

But Rare was the original developer of Donkey Kong Country.

And Miyamoto made Donkey Kong before that.

It just seems more like an IP being transferred across internal studios than "taking back" something.

Koizumi said at E3 his team was conducting experiments on the next 3D Mario. Obviously you will not see it this year, as it is way to early and Kyoto Group No. 4 has NSMB HD and NSMB 3DS coming.

Isn't this the one coming out in August that will be available on eShop as well, day 1?

AntMurda

But Rare was the original developer of Donkey Kong Country.

And Miyamoto made Donkey Kong before that.

It just seems more like an IP being transferred across internal studios than "taking back" something.

Don't take it too literal. The IP is always Nintendo's. Just look at the copyright. The "take back" insinuated if they became the main Donkey Kong team again if Retro were to focus on more "dudebro core" games for Nintendo. More like "taking back the role or job" as a studio.

Isn't this the one coming out in August that will be available on eShop as well, day 1?

Not at all. He spoke of it in context or the prior events, and as if it was very early. Not a playable prototype with 4 levels.

Not at all. He spoke of it in context or the prior events, and as if it was very early. Not a playable prototype with 4 levels.

Oh shit, my fault. I meant to just bold the part about NSMB 3DS lol. I'm pretty sure it's releasing in August, but I hadn't heard anything else about it so I didn't know if that would stick.

Terrell

I kinda wish Nintendo would do the Sega thing and name their teams. Since there's little to no deviation in the production roster on each team, it would help to differentiate a little better. Forces them to spread the credit around where it's due for some of their successes.

AzaK

See the only issue with an upgradeable console is that then they cant program at really low levels. Since the hardware could be different. I just want faster turn around on the consoles.

I'd rather get reasonable modern tech every 5 - 6 years, than crazy tech 1 every 10.

By upgradeable I meant with complete backwards compatibility. Devs would have to know how to scale back, but it's doable. iOS devs have been doing it for years. The ability to plug in more shaders, or add RAM could really help.

I know it goes against the whole thesis of consoles, but I would like it.

HylianTom

Banned

My reaction precisely. There isn't a bad Zelda game, aside from the non-canon CDi games.

AntMurda

I kinda wish Nintendo would do the Sega thing and name their teams. Since there's little to no deviation in the production roster on each team, it would help to differentiate a little better. Forces them to spread the credit around where it's due for some of their successes.

I think the Iwata's Asks are sort of spilling the beans (and if you look at enough game credits) at the complicated but organized roster of developers inside of Nintendo. At some point they will have to stop painting the illusion of Miyamoto magic, and recognize the large pool of young talent that has been developing Nintendo games for the past 20 years.

Theres also the Nintendo SPD team. Which is even more complicated.

SPD Group 1 - 2D Metroid Games, WarioWare, Kiki Trick, Rhythm Heave, Tomodachi Collection
SPD Group 2 - Nintendo Puzzle Games (Tetris, Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie), Style Savvy
SPD Group 3 - Produces and collaborates on western first-party games
SPD Group 4 - Produces and collaborastes on japanese first-party games outside of the main teams

And Sofware Development Design (which is a department in the SPD division?? of Nintendo)

Who develops all the new age games like Brain Age, English Training, Wii Channels, Photo Dojo, DSiWare apps,

Portugeezer

That's need specification.

We're talking noticeable only to the people who can tell what card you're using in you PC just be looking at the game or noticeable to the average consumer?

Can you notice the difference between a console game and the 10x more powerful PC version? It's not night and day as it should be, it all depends on the platforms it's developed for.

If games are developed with Wii U in mind the difference shouldn't be much. If they are 720/PS4 down ports then it could get messy.

I think the best to hope for on Wii U are similar looking versions of games but at a lower native resolution (720p), I expect 1080p to be the target next gen for 720/PS4 (though many will still be lower no doubt)

That is all assumptions and speculation though.

HylianTom

Banned
Anyone know why GameplayWhore's news post hasn't been updated in 5 days? He normally picks up even the small stuff; has there really been absolutely zero news since then? Or is he gone on vacation or something?

GPW is away from keyboard for a while. I think he has ventured off to a festival of some sorts. Very epicurean. Very hedonistic. I envy him. He has a very cool life, and he's a very awesome man.

HylianTom

Banned
Zelda 1 is boring as shit though.

Whaaa...?! I love the idea that you start off with no clue as to where to go, what order to do things in, what items to obtain, etc. You're just set loose in the world, and if you somehow can handle yourself in the tougher dungeons from the start, so be it.

I miss that aspect of Zelda games. Too linear nowadays.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Whaaa...?! I love the idea that you start off with no clue as to where to go, what order to do things in, what items to obtain, etc. You're just set loose in the world, and if you somehow can handle yourself in the tougher dungeons from the start, so be it.

With the focus on story the series takes we'll never see a Zelda game like that again.

If all we see from Nintendo is New Super Mario Bros Mii and Pikmin 3 I'm going to drive to a Gamestop just to knock over a magazine rack.
Make sure you pick me up on the way so I can pre-order then knock a gameshelf down.
Meh I wish it was true but as long as I can play some games in 1080p I can manage.

Man, my head is spinning with potential games we could see unveiled next week...

Monolith Soft Japan Redemption game
Retro Dudebro-Killer
3D Super Mario Utopia
Eternal Darkness 2
NST Mystery project

Metroid? Zelda? Star Fox? New IP?

Bombs! Drop Them!
What if Retro is making the Western RPG and Monolith is making the FPS with a Japanese twist?????
(Mind=Blown)

Dr.Hadji

Zelda 1 is boring as shit though.

Its pretty fun doing whatever, whenever you want. But once boppin over to the left of the map just cause you feel like it doesn't yield any more dungeons to conquer or clues to your next destination the game grinds to a slog. Mario64 is pretty much the only "open world" game that has a strong enough moment to moment gameplay to keep me happy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Metroid 1 is unplayable too. NES games rarely hold up. Maybe I'll give LTTP another chance one of these days.

LTTP is pretty easy to find your way in, I mean it numbers the dungeons on your map. You know at all times where to go and when to go there.

Edit: If that was part of why you don't like 2D Zeldas D:. Anyway it's a pretty dope game you know, give it a shot.

WillyFive

Zelda 1 is unplayable to those used to modern games, no doubt about it. It has definitely aged, so much that people can't even find the structure of the game; they wander around lost not knowing what to do or if there is a point. It was no cake walk when it came out either, the game came with a map, for crying out loud.

Minecraft proves that open-world games like Zelda 1 still work today, though. They just need to be better made and more intuitive.

Anth0ny

If I may be permitted to go batshit crazy...
EAD Tokyo 1: 3D Mario WiiU, 2013
EAD Tokyo 2: Zelda WiiU, 2014
Aonuma's Group: Top-down Zelda, 3DS, 2012

haha, I was about to make this exact post. I don't know how long it's been since EAD Tokyo 2 finished 3D Land, but EAD Tokyo 1 has put out nothing since Galaxy. We will see SOMETHING from them at E3.

It's believed that Skyward Sword was finished a long time ago, and only released November 2011 because Nintendo had nothing else that holiday for the Wii. I'm pretty sure they've had more than enough time to start working on Zelda 3DS, and I think we'll see at least a trailer at E3.

Apparently Retro was one of the first teams to receive Wii U dev kits. I'm certain their next game will be at E3. Whether it's in playable form or not is another question. We'll at least get a trailer, most likely to end the press conference.

Somehow, I didn't know about that Monolith/Elder Scrolls project. Looking forward to that. Hype rising!

Neiteio

Yes. Monolith Tokyo is working on a Wii U game (except for the Project X Zone team), Monolith Kyoto is doing a 3DS game. The Wii U game is somehow inspired by Elder Scrolls, and Monolith plans to show the world that a Japanese studio can do technology that rivals Western engines. Their lead engine guy said last year that they were doing prototypes on HD systems for years and that he's confident they'll do something that's up there. Should be interesting.
Source on all this (particularly the "inspired by Elder Scrolls" claim)?

BD1

Banned

Here is my dream Wii U Zelda game:

Starts with Link as a ranger, roaming the outskirts of the kingdom on Epona, where he is ambushed by a gang of demons. He's clubbed over the head, looted and left for dead on the side of the rode.

He's awoken by a sage-looking old man, with memory loss. The old man tells him it's "dangerous to go alone", hands him a sword, a map and a compass.

The map and compass are displayed on the DRC, and you venture off into the unknown, exploring and discovering Hyrule.

HylianTom

Banned

Starts with Link as a ranger, roaming the outskirts of the kingdom on Epona, where he is ambushed by a gang of demons. He's clubbed over the head, looted and left for dead on the side of the rode.

He's awoken by a sage-looking old man, with memory loss. The old man tells him it's "dangerous to go alone", hands him a sword, a map and a compass.

The map and compass are displayed on the DRC, and you venture off into the unknown, exploring and discovering Hyrule.

So long as you the player can get lost in a vast, open Hyrule.. I'd adore your game start. Sounds absolutely fantastic.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

^^^

Do you guys think the Wii U case redesign could look something like that? (The flat gray finish, to be specific). I kinda think the same color grey that's in the new Wii U logo might work as a glossy finish to the case, with the tiny blue light giving it a high-tech look.

Ryoku

I really hope Monolith's game is not akin to Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Both are generic, boring RPGs, in my opinion. They're just way too big, lack decent story-telling, and not fun at all. Oh, did I mention buggy as hell? I'm not a fan of a first-person adventure type game--especially an RPG.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think I'd be able to get too far in Metroid NES if it wasn't for the savestates on the 3DS.

It'd take a large amount of time having to consistently start out with 0 missles(I think?) and 30 health back at the last elevator you entered.

Either way, farming missiles isn't fun.

I love this idea.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really hope Monolith's game is not akin to Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Both are generic, boring RPGs, in my opinion. They're just way too big, lack decent story-telling, and not fun at all. Oh, did I mention buggy as hell? I'm not a fan of a first-person adventure type game--especially an RPG.

Bethesda is too busy streamlining to make RPGs as most older gamers think of them. And Bethesda's writers are bland. New Vegas is the Fallout that Fallout 3 should have been, but it's not surprising given Obsidian actually understands the roots of the genre.

I doubt Monolith are making an Elder Scrolls style game. Simply looking towards into for Western sensibilities. An argument could be made that Xenoblade features many accessibility options and streamlining that is also found in Elder Scrolls, particularly the freedom of exploration, fast travel, and control of time.

I like the idea of a 3D Zelda with an open world like Zelda 1's, but in order for me to really enjoy it, there'll have to be a couple towns in the game, and a lot more people than just a few old, lonely men and women pushing potions and items on you.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bethesda is too busy streamlining to make RPGs as most older gamers think of them. And Bethesda's writers are bland. New Vegas is the Fallout that Fallout 3 should have been, but it's not surprising given Obsidian actually understands the roots of the genre.

I doubt Monolith are making an Elder Scrolls style game. Simply looking towards into for Western sensibilities. An argument could be made that Xenoblade features many accessibility options and streamlining that is also found in Elder Scrolls, particularly the freedom of exploration, fast travel, and control of time.

Yeah, let's not read TOO much into the Bethesda comment. Xenoblade definitely shows its Western inspirations. Of course I'm speculating, but I'm guessing Monolith's next game will show even more signs of Western elements, but will retain some classic JRPG elements. I like the mix, and I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Portugeezer

Muthafucka... I am emailing Nintendo as we speak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom