• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully expect 3 Mario platformers this E3. NSMB2 for 3DS, NSMBM for WiiU, and 3D Mario HD for WiiU.

The New Super Marios will probably be showcased together to highlight 3DS/WiiU connectivity.
I don't think they'll show 3D mario AND side scrolling mario in the same conference, AS WELL as 3DS mario. That's a bit much. But as for what the mario title is for the wiiU, still leaning toward a revamped nsmb but it could be anything, who knows. Launch isn't for 6 months give or take.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't think Retro's game will be there, unless its a launch window game (ie: releasing sometime before next E3).

Wasn't there a tweet from Retro about this year being crunch time or something? Maybe they'll have something to show, but it won't be released till next year.

If I may be permitted to go batshit crazy...
EAD Tokyo 1: 3D Mario WiiU, 2013
EAD Tokyo 2: Zelda WiiU, 2014
Aonuma's Group: Top-down Zelda, 3DS, 2012

MMMMMM.

I don't think they'll show 3D mario AND side scrolling mario in the same conference

They did in 2009, and the stakes were lower then. The 3DS version talk will sort of be rolled into the WiiU sidescroller talk.

AzaK

I am (and I'm sure others gaffers are too). But I suspect those of us excited about the upcoming nintendo hw value elegant engineering, cost- and power efficiency way more than most people.

I know what you're saying but obviously I meant sheer graphical fidelity. As a software engineer and tech nerd myself I love well made hardware, but as just a gamer I want my games to look fucking amazing.

I'm excited about seeing Nintendo franchises on non-shit Wii hardware. That is something to legitimately look forward to. But when it comes down to crunching numbers, I'll always look to my PC. I won't look to the Wii U, just as I didn't look to the 360 or PS3.
On a purely technical level, I'm curious to see how Nintendo uses the hardware now available to them.

Fair enough. I gave up PC gaming years ago so all I game with are consoles now and so I need it to be a grunty as possible.

Yes. Monolith Tokyo is working on a Wii U game (except for the Project X Zone team), Monolith Kyoto is doing a 3DS game. The Wii U game is somehow inspired by Elder Scrolls, and Monolith plans to show the world that a Japanese studio can do technology that rivals Western engines. Their lead engine guy said last year that they were doing prototypes on HD systems for years and that he's confident they'll do something that's up there. Should be interesting.
Well no way they can make anything as buggy as that PoS Skyrim, so they'll be fine.

Personally I'm sick of the whole 10 year cycle thing. Can we please go back to 5/6 year cycles.
10 year gets us 600 dollar consoles that by year 6/7 are begging to be replaced. 5/6 year cycles gets us 300 dollar consoles that are replaced by the time they're looking old.
I'm with you; let me upgrade more often. In fact ideally I want a console that is upgradeable.

I really don't think Retro's game will be there, unless its a launch window game (ie: releasing sometime before next E3).
why though? I'm not getting these posts. What's the rationale?

People need to remember that this a CONSOLE LAUNCH E3. That automatically is enough for you to ignore any E3 from the past 4-5 years. It's also a console where Nintendo has been boasting about support, and content, and all that. Then you keep in mind Retro's game has been in development for quite a while, I think Nintendo will have no qualms showing games that are far away in some form or fashion. No one is saying gameplay of everything, but trailers, even teasers is something. Even a mention of it wouldn't be surprising.

radcliff

MMMMMM.

I certainly wouldn't mind Koizumi returning to Zelda. He was the director of both OOT and MM, and was responsible for both Z-targeting and the 3 day cycle in MM.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
why though? I'm not getting these posts. What's the rationale?

People need to remember that this a CONSOLE LAUNCH E3. That automatically is enough for you to ignore any E3 from the past 4-5 years. It's also a console where Nintendo has been boasting about support, and content, and all that. Then you keep in mind Retro's game has been in development for quite a while, I think Nintendo will have no qualms showing games that are far away in form or fashion. No one is saying gameplay of everything, but trailers, even teasers is something. Even a mention of it.

Yup. Remember all the software Nintendo showed for 3DS two years ago? A lot of stuff that wasn't launch period at all. They will throw everything they can out there.

I'm with you; let me upgrade more often. In fact ideally I want a console that is upgradeable.

See the only issue with an upgradeable console is that then they cant program at really low levels. Since the hardware could be different. I just want faster turn around on the consoles.

I'd rather get reasonable modern tech every 5 - 6 years, than crazy tech 1 every 10.

Am I the only one here who gets excited about how the game cases will look? I know it's lame to be excited about something so small, but I'm generally interested - I've always loved how SEGA and Sony had the CD type cases for the Dreamcast/PS1, liked how Nintendo went with the white boxes for Wii and 3DS (and I feel that trend will continue with Wii U) - and I liked how the PS3 game cases were design too, and Vita's.

It seems so minor but I kinda get excited to see what they'll look like lol.
I'm more excited about the ability to not have game cases at all - I'm sure hoping Nintendo forces all developers to release digitally day and date, just like Sony is doing with the Vita. In fact, I wonder if the idea behind the Near Field Communication is to pacify retailers by selling NFC devices to make up for lost games...

wsippel

Banned
Made a thread about the Havok news.
Not really worth it in my opinion. Nothing unexpected or interesting there. Except that the physics are CPU bound, not GPU bound, as they'll probably be on PS4 and Xbox3. But even that tells us next to nothing at this point.

AniHawk

I certainly wouldn't mind Koizumi returning to Zelda. He was the director of both OOT and MM, and was responsible for both Z-targeting and the 3 day cycle in MM.

oot had several main directors, but koizumi wasn't one. aonuma was director of oot, mm, tww, and tp. koizumi did the story for link's awakening, oot, and mm.

AniHawk

Kind of a fast turnaround. What makes you think it'd be done so soon?

the handheld zelda team helped the console zelda team finish skyward sword after ph wrapped, but skyward sword was done in early 2011. a top-down zelda probably wouldn't take as much time to finish. however, according to what's been said, it'll probably be a 3d handheld zelda. yay.

Old?

Milan Shah

HW Design Engineer at IBM

-Game Console Processor Development, 2008-2011
Worked on Microsoft Xbox360 and Nintendo Wii-U.
Executing front-end design tasks for Power PC systems; including, new and existing logic designs/analysis, functional simulation, HW validation, pre/-post silicon debug to timing analysis and ECO implementations. 45nm technology. 1GHz - 4GHz processor systems.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/shahmilan

the handheld zelda team helped the console zelda team finish skyward sword after ph wrapped, but skyward sword was done in early 2011. a top-down zelda probably wouldn't take as much time to finish. however, according to what's been said, it'll probably be a 3d handheld zelda. yay.

If this is what it is... god damn. I need a 3DS :lol

DrWong

Not really worth it in my opinion. Nothing unexpected or interesting there. Except that the physics are CPU bound, not GPU bound, as they'll probably be on PS4 and Xbox3. But even that tells us next to nothing at this point.
I thought twice about it before posting the news and conclude that even if it doesn't give us something really new it's at least an interview about something real, with some details about the deal and which Havok features/engines the agreement is covering. And it comes with just enough to nurture©IdeaMan the hype with one or two teases here and there.

Not a big news but a news.

radcliff

oot had several main directors, but koizumi wasn't one. aonuma was director of oot, mm, tww, and tp. koizumi did the story for link's awakening, oot, and mm.

Koizumi was one of the 4 main directors along with Eiji Aonuma, Yoichi Yamada, and Toru Osawa. Aonuma and Koizumi were the 2 directors of MM.

Am I the only one that unfortunately thinks that Nintendo won't show the OS at all, basically won't show anything but games. They'll leave people speculating on how everything actually functions until their later conference before release. I mean I hope we see it but I don't know. I see E3 going down like this:

- "we have a lot to talk about today blahblahblah industry blahblahblah"
- "3DS is doing fantastic but not as good as it could be doing in other places"
- "here is what we have coming for 3DS" *cue trailers, sizzle reels, whatever*
- "now the wiiU blahblah *insert joke about power/leaks* blah controller blah"
- "online will have these features and those features, netflix hooplah blahblah"
- "trailers for games/sizzle reel"
- *on stage demo of pikmin using the controller*
- "we will have support from *insert 3rd party companies"
- *cue bigger game support, any surprise if there is one*
- *shows a lot of super cheesy commercials*
- *shows one last surprise trailer, either retro/monolith"
- "go home"

Basically my point is I don't think they'll be like "we did a brand new OS, we love it!" and spend 10 minutes showing you around, friends lists, etc...

Exactly, we will prob get around 10 mins of actual Wii U exclusive game footage, if that at the Nintendo conference.

All the gameplay videos will come from the show floor the day after.

I hope they do an E3 1996 and just make a 2-3 min video of every single game in development for it to finish off tho.

You can bet they are keeping at least one, prob two out of Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Universe and Zelda for Winter 2013 to combat the PS4 / 720 launches, prob a small price cut or bundle aswel depending on how it's selling.

How many do we think the system will sell ?, i think it will hit 10 - 15 million very fast and then tale off, i do think it will be around 20 million consoles ahead by the time the other two release tho.

A very strong install base for the first year, lets hope it has the hardware to keep it relevant, third party wise until 2020 ;).

radcliff

I wouldn't mind seeing EAD Tokyo do a proper 2D Mario with the experimentation and gimmicks of Galaxy.

Koichi Hayashida (Super Mario 3d Land's director) said in the Nintendo Power interview that Nintendo has a 2D Mario team (obviously EAD 4) and a 3D Mario team (EAD Tokyo). I doubt they would have the 3D team make a 2D edition.

What's been said?

AntMurda

That's group 2. Group 1 has only worked on some Zelda port/remake stuff.

That's group 2. Group 1 has only worked on some Zelda port/remake stuff.

It is almost assured that 3D Mario will be staying in EAD Tokyo Group No. 2. The exciting part is that eventually EAD Tokyo Group No.1 should be unveiling something new. It has been speculated that they have been experimenting on something for a while. Don't be surprised if they take back Donkey Kong or revive another classic IP.

Ps4 is not final yet and can change a lot but Xbox 3 it's more or less clear right now and the gap is big in almost every part

What are the rumored 720 specs ? :O, last i read in the Orbis thread BG was saying PS4 would be 2 teraFLOPS !.

I would guess without knowing a thing that if Wii U is a fast tri core CPU, 2 GB's of Ram and a 500 gigaFLOP GPU that the 720 / PS4 would be at least a 4 core 3 ghz CPU, 3 GB's of Ram and a 1200 - 1500 terafLOP GPU ?.

Also because those systems won't have to feed a 480p tablet they will look a LOT better compared to Wii U.

I sometimes wish Nintendo would have just went with a standard gamepad and we would have gotten much better looking exclusives and next gen third party versions :(.

Cheers.

It is almost assured that 3D Mario will be staying in EAD Tokyo Group No. 2. The exciting part is that eventually EAD Tokyo Group No.1 should be unveiling something new. It has been speculated that they have been experimenting on something for a while. Don't be surprised if they take back Donkey Kong or revive another classic IP.

Take back? Retro is a Nintendo first-party studio. Don't you mean transfer the IP from one internal studio to another?

BD1

Banned
Man, my head is spinning with potential games we could see unveiled next week...

Monolith Soft Japan Redemption game
Retro Dudebro-Killer
3D Super Mario Utopia
Eternal Darkness 2
NST Mystery project

Metroid? Zelda? Star Fox? New IP?

Bombs! Drop Them!

Terrell

What are the rumored 720 specs ? :O, last i read in the Orbis thread BG was saying PS4 would be 2 teraFLOPS !.

I would guess without knowing a thing that if Wii U is a fast tri core CPU, 2 GB's of Ram and a 500 gigaFLOP GPU that the 720 / PS4 would be at least a 4 core 3 ghz CPU, 3 GB's of Ram and a 1200 - 1500 terafLOP GPU ?.

Also because those systems won't have to feed a 480p tablet they will look a LOT better compared to Wii U.

I sometimes wish Nintendo would have just went with a standard gamepad and we would have gotten much better looking exclusives and next gen third party versions :(.

Cheers.

Not every use of the DRC requires it to display a 3D image in tandem with the one on screen. Killer Freaks' use of it, for example, was (from the look of it) either 2D or highly rudimentary 3D.

AntMurda

Take back? Retro is a Nintendo first-party studio. Don't you mean transfer the IP from one internal studio to another?

Take back because Shimizu was the original producer of DKJB. Then Kensuke Tanabe (Nintendo SPD3) took it with Retro. But maybe Shimizu gets it back. He worked on the awesome Game Boy Donkey Kong 94 game.

They could be working on Miyamoto's new IP. :O

Where did you hear about 3D Mario staying in group 2?

Terrell

Too bad. 3D Zelda is the only good Zelda.

orig-11119061jpg.gif

AntMurda

They could be working on Miyamoto's new IP. :O

Where did you hear about 3D Mario staying in group 2?

Koizumi said at E3 his team was conducting experiments on the next 3D Mario. Obviously you will not see it this year, as it is way to early and Kyoto Group No. 4 has NSMB HD and NSMB 3DS coming.

And anecdotal evidence shows, that all the producers and groups stick to the franchises they maintain. They do not deviate. That is how Miyamoto and Tezuka set up the EAD groups with the producers staying consistent, and directors taking turns it seems.

EAD Kyoto Group No. 1 - Mario Kart series, Nintendogs series, Luigi's Mansion series
EAD Kyoto Group No. 2 - Mii Games, Animal Crossing
EAD Kyoto Group No. 3 - Zelda series 2D and 3D
EAD Kyoto Group No. 4- New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin, Big Brain Academy
EAD Kyoto Group No. 5 - Wii Fit, Steel Diver, F-Zero/Star Fox (???)

EAD Tokyo Group No. 1 - DSiWare apps, New Mainline game coming???
EAD Tokyo Group No. 2 - 3D Mario Games, Flipnote Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom