• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I bet a good 50%+ of 3DS announcements will be on the show floor/their website. The website is always home to some of the best announcements.

That's been a big problem with Nintendo's press conferences; a lot of the mainstream press seems to only watch the conferences to gauge what the Nintendo's product lineup will be. Meanwhile, they go to Sony and Microsoft's events, which are always 50% or longer than Nintendo's, and see demos, trailers and clips of every important game that's due on the PS3/360 in the next 18 months.

Has Microsoft ever been guilty of leaving out an important game out of their press event? (while it was free to see on the show floor or on a website somewhere).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm definitely expecting a 3DS Zelda to be shown off. The main question is what style of Zelda it's going to be (personally I'm hoping for something continuing the Skyward Sword aesthetic).

I would have guesses an online four swords game but then they released that archaic GBA port instead. I think it devalues a Four Swords from following it up. I'm just not sure what direction they will take. I honestly think it would have been better to just have Grezzo do a Majora's Mask 3Dmake this year and release a true zelda game after a little break.

I wouldn't be surprised by a CG trailer, I suppose, although it wouldn't excite me much compared to actual footage. I'm actually of the opinion that HAL have been working on the 3DS game for a while now, with Project Sora starting full-scale development of the Wii U version more recently. Possibly targeting release dates towards the end of 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Project-Sora likes enlisting multiple companies to develop their games. Most of the times they are small unknown Japanese companies who are hungry and enthusiastic about just working on a game like Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising. While Project Sora and partner companies where working on Kid Icarus, I'm sure some other small Japanese developer begun porting Brawl as the first step of development.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I know a first-party Wii U game in development. Not an obvious one. But something mentioned a few times. Not Mario or Zelda or Pokemon related.

Didn't you agree with Satterfield that the launch lineup was surprising? Is this the game you were talking about?

EDIT: Excuse me, he said "pretty damn good".

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
But. I have mentioned this. And I think it is a very important thing. Dual releases of several big ips with possible connectivity features. We first heard about it with Smash Bros, now it seems like it is happening with New Super Mario Bros, and it may continue with Animal Crossing and other BIG ips.

Not sure if i want that, sure Nintendo doesnt do paid DLC like many developpers, but if a 3DS version of New Super Mario Bros or Super Smash Bros is necessary to play a specific character or map on the Wii U version... NO, its worse than DLC if that's the case.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Didn't you agree with Satterfield that the launch lineup was surprising? Is this the game you were talking about?

Yes. I am excited about this game. It is probably going to bomb though. But I'm one of these guys that likes a lot of Nintendo IPs that haven't sold very well.

Not sure if i want that, sure Nintendo doesnt do paid DLC like many developpers, but if a 3DS version of New Super Mario Bros or Super Smash Bros is necessary to play a specific character or map on the Wii U version... NO.

Well. We can't predict what the connectivity might be. But I am just more excited about Nintendo maximizing releases. This is a company notorious for stalling and not releasing enough internal games. If they can maximine teams to release two games in one shot, instead of milking one release to the next. Then hey, sign me up.

Sadist

I know a first-party Wii U game in development. Not an obvious one. But something mentioned a few times. Not Mario or Zelda or Pokemon related.

Outside of that you can propose which teams are lined up to release something. I have a pretty good guess of the nature of some of these projects. But there are also some important questions I can not answer.

But. I have mentioned this. And I think it is a very important thing. Dual releases of several big ips with possible connectivity features. We first heard about it with Smash Bros, now it seems like it is happening with New Super Mario Bros, and it may continue with Animal Crossing and other BIG ips.
Oh man

Oh man

Oh man

dligD.gif

JaseMath

Outside of that you can propose which teams are lined up to release something. I have a pretty good guess of the nature of some of these projects. But there are also some important questions I can not answer.

Oh based God...let it be StarTropics.

Thraktor

I would have guesses an online four swords game but then they released that archaic GBA port instead. I think it devalues a Four Swords from following it up. I'm just not sure what direction they will take. I honestly think it would have been better to just have Grezzo do a Majora's Mask 3Dmake this year and release a true zelda game after a little break.

It's not impossible that they'd do a more traditional top-down Zelda that also has a four-player mode, a la NSMB Wii, I suppose. I'd love a 3DS Majora's Mask (playing through the game myself at the moment), but Miyamoto, I think, commented that it wouldn't be fair to fans to release two remakes in a row, so it seems we're getting a new game first.

Project-Sora likes enlisting multiple companies to develop their games. Most of the times they are small unknown Japanese companies who are hungry and enthusiastic about just working on a game like Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising. While Project Sora and partner companies where working on Kid Icarus, I'm sure some other small Japanese developer begun porting Brawl as the first step of development.

My reason for going with HAL was that they're reasonably large and have experience with the series, so they could get a 3DS version up and running pretty quickly, but I'll defer to your knowledge on these things.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I'll write something again very soon about controllers, classic ones, the dev kits, etc :)
The tidbit of the day after the yesterday's one concerning Wii U discs, projects being burned and brought on those for E3 2012, etc.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Yes. I am excited about this game. It is probably going to bomb though. But I'm one of these guys that likes a lot of Nintendo IPs that haven't sold very well.

Well. We can't predict what the connectivity might be. But I am just more excited about Nintendo maximizing releases. This is a company notorious for stalling and not releasing enough internal games. If they can maximine teams to release two games in one shot, instead of milking one release to the next. Then hey, sign me up.
Thanks for everything you do! Helps get things back on track

Is it Yoshi related?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Again, where is Ace to tell me how wrong I was in predicting a 2D Mario game connecting with the 3DS version?

Anth0ny

hmm

dual release for Ass Creed 3 confirmed

Instro

With regards to the first party game. Was this what you were all excited about recently? Nvm I see this was answered.

As for dual releases, do you think we will see a vast difference between the console and handheld versions in terms of features and game play, or should be expect something similar to Mario Kart?

ASIS

Too much hype. TOO MUCH HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

This is not a good thing, too much hype ALWAYS leads to disappointment regardless of the quality of the conference.

If it DOES meet the hype of NintendoGAF then... mother of god..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
A problem with these connectivity ideas is that not only do you need to own both platforms, I do not own a 3DS, you also have like the game so much to buy it twice. And at the same time. Who's going to want to pick up NSMB3ds + NSMBwiiU together when you could instead bu Pikmin 3 + NSMB3ds.. or NSMBwiiU + Blops2.. or NSMB3ds + Castlevenia 3ds?

Kjellson

So... Close... Now...
I'll write something again very soon about controllers, classic ones, the dev kits, etc :)
The tidbit of the day after the yesterday's one concerning Wii U discs, projects being burned and brought on those for E3 2012, etc.
But... I was just going to bed.

wsippel

Banned
Wow if that's true, that's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for and wrote about a little earlier today, essentially just be able to link whatever random accounts to your single Nintendo account and have it all work together automagically.
Yep, basically something like this. You make a Nintendo Network account, or simply use your Club Nintendo account to log into NiN. You put in an EA game for the first time, and the system would ask you if you have an Origin account. I do, so I select "yes" and tie my Origin account to my Nintendo Network account - done. Same with Steamworks, uPlay or whatever. If you don't have an account, it will create one for you automatically and tie it to your Nintendo Network account. But you don't really have to care, or need to know. Your Nintendo Network account would be the master account for everything (similar to your Facebook account with Facebook Connect). Going even further, the Nintendo Network account could be just an NFC dongle. No login, no password, no bullshit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's permabanned.

I know. That's just two things today that have come up that I think happen at E3 (Smash Bros footage/teaser, 2D Wii U Mario connecting with 3DS version) that he ripped me for saying might happen.

I'm gonna guess Shikamura is talking about Fire Emblem. He's talking about duel releases, and Fire Emblem Awakening just came out and did really well in Japan. Another possibility could be Pilotwings (not sure if they can patch back the 3DS version for this).

Edit: Looking through the Wii release list, I could see Punch-Out or Endless Ocean being other possibilities to sorta fit his criteria.

Alrix

We can only hope. That's pretty much been the main reason I haven't bought any VC/WiiWare stuff on Wii for a while.

For the longest time I thought you needed a classic controller for VC games, and only just now I found out that you can use gamecube controllers, which led me to browsing the shop and spotting a game or two I'd like to buy (bought my wii preowned years ago and it already had Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Donkey Kong Country) but I can hold off if they won't transfer to my day-1 Wii U.

Also, awesome to see someone with inside info posting in here. Only hypes me up more.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
With regards to the first party game. Was this what you were all excited about recently? Nvm I see this was answered.

As for dual releases, do you think we will see a vast difference between the console and handheld versions in terms of features and game play, or should be expect something similar to Mario Kart?

I honestly don't know. I'm just a fanalyst. Sure I have friends that work at NCL/NST/Others. But they will never answer anything. I don't even ask anymore. They are trained.

But I think. At least with Smash Bros and NSMB. The two candidates that seem to fall into this dual-connectivity program. Both will be unique games it seems. Yet have connection features right?

A problem with these connectivity ideas is that not only do you need to own both platforms, I do not own a 3DS, you also have like the game so much to buy it twice. And at the same time. Who's going to want to pick up NSMB3ds + NSMBwiiU together when you could instead bu Pikmin 3 + NSMB3ds.. or NSMBwiiU + Blops2.. or NSMB3ds + Castlevenia 3ds?

That is why this would only work with MEGA-GAMES. Games that sell extremely well. But again, the games will be unique I believe. Not the same game across the platforms.

Plinko

I'm gonna guess Shikamura is talking about Fire Emblem. He's talking about duel releases, and Fire Emblem Awakening just came out and did really well in Japan. Another possibility could be Pilotwings (not sure if they can patch back the 3DS version for this).

Crap. Do not want.

ASIS

At the very least, from a marketing point of view you do the following:

A) you expand the audience of a certain game with fewer costs than usual.

B) you already have the idea of purchasing another game when you buy a "dual release" title, regardless if its the same game or the other one.

Personally, I just don't see it as a good thing but hey, we'll see at launch.

Mother 4. It's time.

I know it's not gonna happen. :(
It's not Mother 4 time until Mother 3 gets an official US release. Ooo, there's an idea: Mother trilogy, complete 3D remake for Wii-U...being a complete remake, they can remove/remake the bits that they don't think would legally fly here.

Instro

I honestly don't know. I'm just a fanalyst. Sure I have friends that work at NCL/NST/Others. But they will never answer anything. I don't even ask anymore. They are trained.

But I think. At least with Smash Bros and NSMB. The two candidates that seem to fall into this dual-connectivity program. Both will be unique games it seems. Yet have connection features right?

Haha, I kind of figured. In any case, its something worth thinking about if Nintendo plans to increase the amount of dual releases they work on. It's probably something they would decide on a game to game basis anyway.

wsippel

Banned
Oh, and to add something else: Nintendo really needs to sell (physical) NFC keys. We know that Japanese arcades use NFC cards to store accounts - Nintendo could unify that shit. Also, the same key you use to sign into your Nintendo Network account at home could be used to sign into Tekken Tag Tournament 2 at an arcade - a persistant gaming persona. Unified account, unified leaderboard. But that's not all: We know Nintendo plans digital distribution for retail games, sold as download keys at stores. So right after playing a few rounds of Tekken in an arcade on my NiN account, I go to a store because they have the downloadable version of the latest Call of Duty for cheap. I go to the register, pay, and put my NFC key on the register - right then and there, I'm identified and authenticated, and my latest purchase is tied to my account. My Wii U at home, being always on and always connected to the Nintendo Network, wakes up and starts downloading the game I just purchased, and by the time I get home, it's downloaded, updated and ready to play.

DrWong

Yep, basically something like this. You make a Nintendo Network account, or simply use your Club Nintendo account to log into NiN. You put in an EA game for the first time, and the system would ask you if you have an Origin account. I do, so I select "yes" and tie my Origin account to my Nintendo Network account - done. Same with Steamworks, uPlay or whatever. If you don't have an account, it will create one for you automatically and tie it to your Nintendo Network account. But you don't really have to care, or need to know. Your Nintendo Network account would be the master account for everything (similar to your Facebook account with Facebook Connect). Going even further, the Nintendo Network account could be just an NFC dongle. No login, no password, no bullshit.

I remember reading you in the previous WUST saying that. And yes, I think you're right.

Another aspect of the Nintendo's online strategy with publishers could also be to let them have more room to make their buisness. Something related to pricing, to be able to directly sold content to the consumer... I don't know but there's a lot of things that can be done in the digital buisness area in order to attract the mega publishers.

That is why this would only work with MEGA-GAMES. Games that sell extremely well. But again, the games will be unique I believe. Not the same game across the platforms.

;]

1338548261.jpg

I also remember another indie digital third party teasing about their next game with coming with 3DS / Wii U connection. It was some months ago I guess, in a video interview... I'm curious to know, if small studios are alrerady dual-developing, how many games will take this route.

Edit: mmm... it's perhaps this (above) game...

Neiteio

Hey Shikamaru Ninja, about that mysterious first-person Nintendo WiiU game you know of that will likely bomb since the IP historically hasn't sold well, but that you're excited about regardless... Is it one of the following?

- Star Tropics
- Star Fox
- F-Zero
- Wave Race
- Fire Emblem
- Advance Wars

It's not Mother 4 time until Mother 3 gets an official US release. Ooo, there's an idea: Mother trilogy, complete 3D remake for Wii-U...being a complete remake, they can remove/remake the bits that they don't think would legally fly here.

This. I finally started playing Earthbound for the first time a little less than a month ago and it's absolutely criminal that NCL, Iwata and Itoi haven't tried to compromise and find a way so more people can experience this game. It cost me a lotta money to eBay the game. If the jokes and songs on some parts have the lawyers worried, then just make a remake with a few new tunes here and there and some line rewrites! It blows my mind that this amazing game stays buried and the owners don't seem to want to do anything about it.

HylianTom

Banned
So.. umm.. are there any events tonight like last night's Konami event? I've been paying attention to Nintendo's scheduled events, but not anyone else's.

Something like this would be a great way to go. NFC card multi factor for online play and purchasing. Store credentials and CC info on the console, needs an encryption key stored on the console and NFC card to decrypt and transmit.

Take it with you for digital store purchases, smack the card on a reader at a kiosk, pay and go home. Touch the card to the controller and you get prompted to download.

Hard as hell to crack, would be a poor target for hackers too.

japtor

Wonder if dual releases could just be a way of spreading out development costs...and making sure both systems have games rather than focusing on one or the other at a time in the release schedule.

Alrix

Hey Shikamaru Ninja, about that mysterious first-person Nintendo WiiU game you know of that will likely bomb since the IP historically hasn't sold well, but that you're excited about regardless... Is it one of the following?

- Star Tropics
- Star Fox
- F-Zero
- Wave Race
- Fire Emblem
- Advance Wars

My money is on F-Zero. A game that's been mentioned a few times in speculation but would also not do great in sales? Seems to fit the bill to me. Plus there was that rumor that Nintendo was gonna show Star Fox/F-Zero/Smash Bros earlier in this thread.

Star Fox I would think is big enough to not fall into that characterization, but there's a good chance it's in development anyway. Maybe Advance Wars, (I've never bought one but have been interested in the series recently) but I don't know enough about that series.

Gahiggidy

So.. umm.. are there any events tonight like last night's Konami event? I've been paying attention to Nintendo's scheduled events, but not anyone else's.

Checkbox Bingo is being posted later tonight.

Instro

Oh, and to add something else: Nintendo really needs to sell (physical) NFC keys. We know that Japanese arcades use NFC cards to store accounts - Nintendo could unify that shit. Also, the same key you use to sign into your Nintendo Network account at home could be used to sign into Tekken Tag Tournament 2 at an arcade - a persistant gaming persona. Unified account, unified leaderboard. But that's not all: We know Nintendo plans digital distribution for retail games, sold as download keys at stores. So right after playing a few rounds of Tekken in an arcade on my NiN account, I go to a store because they have the downloadable version of the latest Call of Duty for cheap. I go to the register, pay, and put my NFC key on the register - right then and there, I'm identified and authenticated, and my latest purchase is tied to my account. My Wii U at home, being always on and always connected to the Nintendo Network, wakes up and starts downloading the game I just purchased, and by the time I get home, it's downloaded, updated and ready to play.

Honestly it might be beneficial to ship something like that with the console for free. Using such a device as an authenticator for online accounts, like the Blizzard authenticators for example, would be a good way to increase account security as well.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
About the history of the controllers throughout the different dev kits, potential hints toward a classic controller for Wii U ?

1 - Surprisingly, it seems the very first dev kits, that developers used before E3 2011, didn't support the DRC, that yet defines the Wii U.

2 - It could be from the absence of a port to plug it (not sure) and for certain (100%) the fact that the SDK versions that came with those V1 dev kits didn't managed the DRC at all, maybe even not mentioned them.

3 - Therefore, studios were building their games with classic controllers (plugged in an adapter on those boxes), and apparently wii-motes were supported on those first dev kit also (with the presence of a sensor bar port).

4 - Only very big developers or close enough to Nintendo were aware of the DRC existence, it seems it wasn't documented before E3 2011.

5 - With these infos, we can narrow the supply date of V2 dev kits, introducing the real Wii U controller, at around E3 2011 as:

--> Vigil could have worked just a few weeks prior to the show on dev kits supporting very early iteration of the DRC, like they explained in this interview:

"The last version of the controller we had was literally a giant Game Boy," Donald said. "It was very clunky. The shoulder buttons were really high, so they were out of reach, so you had to shift your hand to use a shoulder button. In the middle of combat that's just not an option.

"The controller we saw at E3 was not what we had."

It could means that they were one of the very firsts to receive v2 dev kits (or that V1 could have supported a weird DRC prototype but it's very unlikely), and it's partially confirmed with this statement:

"The Darksiders team was one of the first teams to get dev kits. We've had dedicated engineers on it working seven day weeks leading up to the show.

"I've got all the emails. We now have it running with the controller. So we could have shown it."

This VIP treatment of Vigil in regard to dev kits could indicate the faith, the hope Nintendo have in Darksiders 2, their intent last year to prove their re-orientation toward more "core" gamers by showing this game as quickly as possible. We know that they decided to not demonstrate it on the showfloor in the end but still, this information is interesting.

--> Ubisoft Montpellier declared in another interview:

Amazingly, the E3 2o11 demo was built using unfinished machines. “The Killer Freaks team worked with the early Wii U dev kits before E3, but even we hadn’t seen the actual device until a day before the show,” Brunier tells us.

Maybe they were stuck with the v1 dev kits then, and developed Killer Freaks with classic controllers/wii-motes (in fact, they used a CC on their roundtable, skip to 45min mark). The little control problems here & there could reveal this "last minute" implementation of the DRC in their demo. But as they showed intricate padlet applications (single player mode, as seen in the video i've just linked + asymmetric multiplayer mode) involving the touchscreen, the additional display, the gyro & other features of the padlet, that obviously couldn't have been developed in just a few days before E3, it means that they either planned in advance the content while waiting for Nintendo to supply them at the last moment the DRC, or more certainly that they had access themselves to those "clunky gameboy" prototypes/V2 dev kits supporting DRC.

6 - What's also interesting is that even once the padlet was officially supported, the classic controller adapter remained on the dev kits up until now if i'm not wrong, whereas one could think that the DRC could play this role, having all the required sticks/buttons.
--> It could just be a matter of homogeneity across all dev kits, allowing developers to have as the sole input device to work with the classic controllers in the very first version, then remove this possibility after could have been problematic.
--> As we know the Wii U will support Wii peripherals (so CC), it's just a way to directly plug those in the dev kits even after the DRC arrival, to avoid using the wii-mote & sensor bar, for convenience of development.
--> It may also hint toward the existence of a "Wii U classic controller", as even if the real & proper Wii U controller are supported, wired or wireless, since one year (less for wireless models), they keep this adapter. And it's rather plausible to have refreshed, shiny new CC/CCPro, tailored/adapted to Wii U, on the shelves, rather than selling Wii peripherals until 2017. It's a necessity for the asymmetric multiplayer mode, if a maximum of 2 players can use DRC's, and the content for the other players without padlets requires more traditional input method (so no motion controls, no wii-motes).

Note that these infos come from a variety of sources, different from the ones i'm referring to in most of my posts.

There's a lot to speculate about in regard to this controller situation, do you expect Wii U classic controllers, how do you think they will look, for what kind of games they would be more interesting that the DRC, what's your ideas of asymmetric/symmetric multiplayer mode involving combinations of DRC, Wii-motes, and classic controllers, etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom