• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
The E3 signage thread reminded me that Epic Mickey 2 exists. I really, really, REALLY hope it is not spotlighted at the Nintendo conference.

Why do I love-hate so much this franchise :( Just look at my avatar.
The most hilarious thing is that even if the gameplay was not that great I think one of the worst offenses was the soundtrack of Jim Dooley.
Such a piss to the Sherman Brothers and X Atencio it boils my blood every time I think of it.

Really? I thought it was horrible. Couldn't get myself to continue playing it after several minutes.

Thats your problem right there.

Redford

aka Cabbie

JmYbX.gif

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So thinking from IdeaMan's thread on 2 DRC support... Would it be possible to play a game across two Wii U Controllers, completely absent from the television?

What I'm thinking is something akin to real life Pong. Stand across the room and bounce a ball back and forth, using the screen to "see" the ball come at you and the DRC itself acting as your paddle, by using the Gyro?

Hmmm, asymmetrical gameplay is kinda cool...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38315751&postcount=90

An augmented reality pong, the padlets are the surface each players control, and you have to strafe in your living room to catch the virtual ball ! YAY !

:D

btw i encourage people to post their ideas of 2 DRC usage on my thread, we need more brainstorming !

Just saw the hitman gameplay walkthrough and i cant help but think how good it would look on the wii u with all the maps items and huds located on the subscreen, leaving the mainscreen free from the clutter. This will make the game feel more cinematic and also hopefully less pauses in the action. you can even have a more detailed radar with more info on the subscreen or have other info swiped in and out and overlayed onto the main screen without the need for pauses in the game. The feeling of needing to be quick thinking will enhance the experience foe the player adding a feeling of intensity and not taking them out of the immersion by pausing to a menu screen to choose items.

This would work really well for cinematic rpg's or even shooters that are triggered by scripted events. Some people like going into a pause menu when they have a big encounter but imagine if your immersion is never needed to be broken and you must choose items while in battle. MGS4 would have benefited from a subscreen. James bond games, splinter cell would be another to benefit.

In Resident evil, having a subscreen where you can interect with all your items and comms in real time, will add to the stress of fighting the enemy and add to the immersion. No more pausing when you are scared to think about what you are going to do next, your instincts will instead rely on real time flight or fight. true immersion without the pauses.

D_prOdigy

Can someone clarify what DRC actually stands for and where it originates from? Display Remote Control? Was it joined coined by the fan community?

Yeah but by controller you could mean Wii remote, CCPro, or whatever new thingymajig they come out with at E3.
no, I mean the wiiU controller. The one controller. The whole point of the wiiU is that controller. Nintendo put 100% of the emphasis on the controller last time they revealed it. It is THE controller in the context of the wiiU.

no, I mean the wiiU controller. The one controller. The whole point of the wiiU is that controller. Nintendo put 100% of the emphasis on the controller last time they revealed it. It is THE controller in the context of the wiiU.

It's the controller that you can still use the wiimote and nunchuck with too.

Nah, but I agree. It's not hard to figure out when someone is talking about the Wii U controller by calling it 'the controller'.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well as of now, it isn't even a Wii U title. So unless Nintendo wants to give brief fan-service to the Wii still existing. They could have a trailer with that and The Last Story.. and maybe... Pandora's Tower?

On a different note, how much do you think Nintendo Ninjas pull down in a year?

I think a Wii-U version is pretty much bound to happen.

Why do I love-hate so much this franchise :( Just look at my avatar.
The most hilarious thing is that even if the gameplay was not that great I think one of the worst offenses was the soundtrack of Jim Dooley.
Such a piss to the Sherman Brothers and X Atencio it boils my blood every time I think of it.

Well you're not the only one. Though I hate more then I love, it's such a great idea that I'll probably still dip in on the second version. And hopefully the Musical-aspect will help create a more memorable soundtrack, because I agree the first's was pretty lackluster.

Though I would rather not have the conference wasting time on a probable dud that will only succeed in reminding me of what could of been. :/

HylianTom

Banned
Doubt we'll see any of those at E3. Star Fox maybe, but F-Zero and Smash Bros? Nah. They probably created that rumor to get hits.
I thik I'd scream if we saw another F-Zero. No one does future racing better than F-Zero!

Although.. GX is going to be hard to top. Quite a doozy of a game.

Anth0ny

So I just rewatched E3 2006.

Nintendo spent:

8 minutes on DS (partly sales talks, which they don't really do anymore)
57 minutes on Wii
5 seconds on Gamecube (TP is coming to Gamecube!)

I wouldn't mind if they went down this route with Wii U on Tuesday. 8 minutes is more than enough time to show off a new 3DS Zelda trailer, and announce the date for Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2.

HylianTom

Banned

Nintendo spent:

57 minutes on Wii

I wouldn't mind if they went down this route with Wii U on Tuesday. 8 minutes is more than enough time to show off a new 3DS Zelda trailer, and announce the date for Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2.
Agree. One demo, a sizzle reel, and a short talk.. that should be more than enough, especially with promises of more content later on in the week with Nintendo's multiple events.

I think a Wii-U version is pretty much bound to happen.

Well you're not the only one. Though I hate more then I love, it's such a great idea that I'll probably still dip in on the second version. And hopefully the Musical-aspect will help create a more memorable soundtrack, because I agree the first's was pretty lackluster.

Though I would rather not have the conference wasting time on a probable dud that will only succeed in reminding me of what could of been. :/

Thats the worst thing about all of it, and there are some good ideas, but is as if the one that only gave a fuck about anything was warren spector, and he didnt force his vision to the team.
And yeah, lets see how the musical aspect will go, I love musicals, and Im pretty pumped of hearing the usual Disney castillian spanish voices dubbing the game. Jose Padilla <3

Linkhero1

I thik I'd scream if we saw another F-Zero. No one does future racing better than F-Zero!

Although.. GX is going to be hard to top. Quite a doozy of a game.

I would scream, jump all over the place, and throw feces at my brothers. But what you said is correct. I don't know how they would top off GX in terms of gameplay. Online would be huge. I would love a level creator as well.

At this point my gut is telling me Retro is 100% working on Starfox for Wii U.

For reference, my gut has a 20% success rate.

Good thing your gut success rate is rather low. I still think 20% is too high though. Maybe 0.5%.

Fabrik

Banned
With Sony and Microsoft spilling all the beans before E3, and all the best games delayed to 2013, it's up to Nintendo to blow us away.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Nintendo spent:

57 minutes on Wii

The right thing is to do at least 20 minutes of 3DS, 8 minutes would be too low. 3DS needs to improve a lot in the West.

Agree. One demo, a sizzle reel, and a short talk.. that should be more than enough, especially with promises of more content later on in the week with Nintendo's multiple events.

Dito. Maybe a trailer reel, 2 release dates (Luigis Mansion 2 and Paper Mario 3DS) and a few quick announcements and be done with it. Then quickly move to the Wii U. I wouldn´t even rule out a 100% Wii U conference while 3DS will be focused on in another stream.

Just saw this at IGN and went to the original source. I've never heard of these guys, are they reliable?

[Rumor] Nintendo to Show Star Fox, F-Zero and Smash Bros at E3

http://gamingunwrapped.com/rumor-nintendo-to-show-star-fox-f-zero-and-smash-bros-at-e3/

As for Smash bros, I am convinced they'll be showing at least some kind of short teaser, in fact I reckon it's a safe bet.

As regards F-Zero, it could be nice to showcase WiiU's potential, the kind of games that would make us say "Wow", whereas I'm quite skeptical about Star fox, as I don't think that's the game that's going to catch public attention, unless the IP should be undergoing a reboot akin to Metroid Prime.

Linkhero1

Nintendo spent:

57 minutes on Wii

Considering Nintendo blew the lid off the Wii U last year, I'm suspecting they won't need as much time with the Wii U as they did with the Wii. I'm expecting at least 20 mins 3DS, 39 mins Wii U, and 1 min Wii. I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of live demos on stage.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Considering Nintendo blew the lid off the Wii U last year, I'm suspecting they won't need as much time with the Wii U as they did with the Wii. I'm expecting at least 20 mins 3DS, 39 mins Wii U, and 1 min Wii. I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of live demos on stage.

No way 3DS gets that much time IMO.

Anth0ny

Miyamoto's thoughts on F-Zero:

"I think at the time it was a really big surprise, a new thing, a product that made sense," he said. "I don't see with current hardware how you could create a similar surprise.

"But maybe with future hardware, with Wii U coming up, maybe we could create something that does make sense, either as a smaller game, or a fully fledged title."

No chance it'll be at e3.

AGITΩ

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
it'll be a horrible E3 if Nintendo just glosses over the 3DS with no new announcements.

Not gloss over, but 20 minutes? I don't think so. Nintendo needs to kill it with Wii U this year.

Im pretty sure they will show the super smash bros teaser, and that they have very little done yet, and that Kid icarus was not the only thing they were working when it had the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom