• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soroc

Miyamoto's thoughts on F-Zero:

No chance it'll be at e3.

I don't understand why? When was this quote last year?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo treat F-Zero just like Sony did with Wipeout. Make it a downloadable title. Release with limited levels and stuff and roll out support for the title over time. New tracks, new game modes, etc...

antonz

I would guess 15% of the conference will be 3DS. Iwata claims we are gonna see western support showing up so who knows what that means.

That said Nintendo needs to grand slam this conference on the Wii U side of things. No Fluff bullshit just hit after hit of software,features etc

Linkhero1

I would guess 15% of the conference will be 3DS. Iwata claims we are gonna see western support showing up so who knows what that means.

That said Nintendo needs to grand slam this conference on the Wii U side of things. No Fluff bullshit just hit after hit of software,features etc

Reading your post has gotten me hyped and gave me that E3 feeling I was looking for. Thank you.

I'm not kidding by the way.

Bumhead

Banned
I suspect the 3DS will get 15-20 minutes and the rest of the show will be focused on the Wii U. Nintendo revealed the system last year so this show is less a full reveal than it is a clarification and a selling exercise. They've already planted the seed about what the Wii U is - roughly - and I expect this years show to be a thick and fast run through of what it can do and why people should want to love it and buy it.

I just have a feeling that Nintendo is really going to knock it out of the park this year. I can see them getting right down to the point and really delivering the long term vision of what this system is. I suspect that after E3 prospective Wii U owners will have a really good idea of what they'll be playing on the system for the next 6-12 months.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I could be happy with two Super Mario Galaxy-level games per year and the rest could range from Nintendo's solid second-tier titles to well-done Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy-level games

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I think the 3DS will BARELY have anything announced at the press conference, but the press release following announces a bunch of new titles. Then these titles will be show cased on the "Software Showcase" the following day.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I said it, I'll say it again.

My only 100% sure prediction for E3 is this:

ibmjSF0MHt0dHX.jpg

Zelda 3DS

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

HylianTom

Banned
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
I thought it was quite a great game, and I wish we saw more Zelda clones of this type. Not too big, not too small, and well put-together.

(Having a great soundtrack and good puzzles goes a long way in my book, too.)

Lyude77

I thought it was quite a great game, and I wish we saw more Zelda clones of this type. Not too big, not too small, and well put-together.

(Having a great soundtrack and good puzzles goes a long way in my book, too.)

I agree. I really enjoyed the mummy levels.

Also, I hope we see a F-Zero more like X than GX. By that I mean a well balanced single-player mode and a death race mode. Vehicle customization is welcome though. Add in online and maybe track creation and a few more modes and things and it's a solid retail/downloadable game.

Zero148

I just played some sweet SMG2 again (on my Wii, not Dolphin) and man, I'm even more hyped for tuesday now. This game alone is amazing to watch at, a thing of pure beauty. I mean, put some AA on it and make it higher res and no one would complain over the graphics if it was on PS360. The dolphin shots show its beauty even more :)

This game runs on 2002 tech, I can't really imagine what the Nintendo wizards can do on 2009/10 tech (I assume WiiU will be something like this).

I really hope we get to see a new 3D Mario on WiiU at the Nintendo Conference, it should blow us all away visually if they only do a half as good job on the visuals as at the galaxy games. The gameplay will be perfect as usual, so I'm really more hyped to the pure visuals.

And a new F-Zero and Star Fox would also be amazing, I don't believe they have something to show of Smash though.

On weekends the time usually runs faster, doesn't it?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I said it, I'll say it again.

My only 100% sure prediction for E3 is this:

ibmjSF0MHt0dHX.jpg

Zelda 3DS

Very high possibility that EAD Kyoto will show a new 3DS Zelda game. Definitely for release next year as well. I still hope we see either an original or lost ip from them on the 3DS sometime soon.

And a new F-Zero and Star Fox would also be amazing, I don't believe they have something to show of Smash though.

I read this a lot. I am wondering if people understand how Project-Sora develops it games. It is extremely possible you will see something. Hopefully a CG teaser just outlining some new characters and features.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Besides The Legend of Zelda, what other games are anticipated for the 3DS?

I'm talking about stuff that is rumored and or announced but not seen. Stuff besides already shown off stuff like Luigi's Mansion 2, for example.

Zelda is the only 3DS specific game I have for my bingo cards. I need ideas.

AGITΩ

Besides The Legend of Zelda, what other games are anticipated for the 3DS?

I'm talking about stuff that is rumored and or announced but not seen. Stuff besides already shown off stuff like Luigi's Mansion 2, for example.

Zelda is the only 3DS specific game I have for my bingo cards. I need ideas.
Fire Emblem Awakening localization, or else Operation Rainfall will become Operation Wake Up

wsippel

Banned
Judd said something on 8-4 that is perfectly in line with my expectations (hinting at something he knows, not a predicition): Nintendo worked for one to two years with 3rd parties to develop an ecosystem 3rd parties will feel comfortable with, which includes the online infrastructure. It could end up being a complete clusterfuck, but I think it could also end up being the best, most comprehensive online system ever.

Yes, the idea of having Origin, uPlay, CoD Elite, Battle.net, SteamWorks and whatever on a single system sounds like a complete clusterfuck - but it doesn't have to be. Technically, all those systems could be backends with a common frontend, which would be Nintendo Network. The only thing Nintendo would need to do is to provide basic infrastructure - authentication, contacts, messaging and shop, and maybe what Ubisoft hinted at with Ghost Feed. Every publisher can have his own backend, but it'll be completely transparent to the user - a single account, a single login, a single friend list.

I read this a lot. I am wondering if people understand how Project-Sora develops it games. It is extremely possible you will see something. Hopefully a CG teaser just outlining some new characters and features.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brawl just started development when they first showed it off.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Judd said something on 8-4 that is perfectly in line with my expectations (hinting at something he knows, not a predicition): Nintendo worked for one to two years with 3rd parties to develop an ecosystem 3rd parties will feel comfortable with, which includes the online infrastructure. It could end up being a complete clusterfuck, but I think it could also end up being the best, most comprehensive online system ever.

Yes, the idea of having Origin, uPlay, CoD Elite, Battle.net, SteamWorks and whatever on a single system sounds like a complete clusterfuck - but it doesn't have to be. Technically, all those systems could be backends with a common frontend, which would be Nintendo Network. The only thing Nintendo would need to do is to provide basic infrastructure - authentication, contacts, messaging and shop, and maybe what Ubisoft hinted at with Ghost Feed. Every publisher can have his own backend, but it'll be completely transparent to the user - a single account, a single login, a single friend list.

To be honest, I don't understand what the difference in online infrastructure means. To the consumer, online is online. Not sure how a game played on Xbox LIVE is a better experience than one played on another network.

Granted, I've yet to actually play a console game online. Ever. I did, though, try out Mario Kart: Super Circuit's online mode a couple of times.

HylianTom

Banned
Just spotted the IGN article about the Wii U being too difficult to develop for. What a crock.

This is where I censor myself, lest I be too truthful. We can't have that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Those Wii channel start screen took at least three months of planning from what I heard. Who knows what crazy requirements the WiiU has. The memory card icons might require at least four frames of animation!!!

Gahiggidy

AGITΩ;38412386 said:
Fire Emblem Awakening localization, or else Operation Rainfall will become Operation Wake Up

Localizations aren't the stuff that make people go "wow!" though.

Zero148

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brawl just started development when they first showed it off.

have you sources for this? And how exactly do you mean just (Weeks, Months)?

I just rewatched the reveal trailer for brawl and it looked pretty far in development, I mean it wasn't CG only and had many gameplay in it, with graphics and assets really used in the game.

Las E3 it sounded like the new Smash hadn't started even the pre development phase.

But of course I would really like to see a HD Smash this E3 :)

Just spotted the IGN article about the Wii U being too difficult to develop for. What a crock.

This is where I censor myself, lest I be too truthful. We can't have that.

I'm guessing that they're referring to the uPad, which is really strange. I really doubt that Nintendo is requiring them to put a ton of effort into coming up with unique concepts to use for the screen. So they can just do something like dumping the map screen or inventory screen onto the controller. Putting the inventory screen on the controller would actually be really useful in many cases. It'll remove the need to pause the game to cycle through that stuff.

Anyway, we're only a few days away from developers being able to talk about their experience with the console openly. So, that'll clear up a lot of views on it.

Agreed. I call it uPad even if everyone else hates it.
I am calling it the WiiPad. Because Wii is the best pest name. Screw u.

Anywayz: Does everyone really think that Luigi's Mansion and/or Paper Mario is coming this year? Nintendo usually never releases more than one bame on a system per a month and we can pretty much tell whats onna happen.

August: NSMB 2
September: Layton 3DS
October: Maasybe Luigi's Mansion 2. Tie it into Halloween or something.
November/December: Animal Crossing/Pokemon B&W2 (I know Pokemon's a DS game, but still..)

I guess a unnanounced game could come (Zelda?) Because I don't see Nintendo not announcing ay new 3DS Games for holiday 2012. But yea, thats about it. Theres a 0% chance that Paper Mario comes out this year imo. Maybe Luigi's Manion since I remember Nintendo saying it was a Q1 2012 game (lol)

...FOUR DAYS.

Also; Uploading new NeoGAF News episode now, should I post it here? Should be done within the hour, atleast the begining is mostly about E3 rumors (Like Starfox x Metroid, but the video was filmed before that got deconfirmed.) Guess I will. Half of the video is about OT/General Gaming/Me talking about E3 videos that I plan to make.

Its twenty minutes long, and I had to lower the quality to make it around 750 mb and its still takes six hours to upload. I fear for the last chapter of Wii Master Saga Six, which I was planning on being around 30 minutes long...

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Very high possibility that EAD Kyoto will show a new 3DS Zelda game. Definitely for release next year as well. I still hope we see either an original or lost ip from them on the 3DS sometime soon.

Good to have you bless us in these threads. Any whispers that you've heard of late? Anything about release window or retail side?

japtor

As regards F-Zero, it could be nice to showcase WiiU's potential, the kind of games that would make us say "Wow", whereas I'm quite skeptical about Star fox, as I don't think that's the game that's going to catch public attention, unless the IP should be undergoing a reboot akin to Metroid Prime.
Well with both they have the possibility of crazy looking future high tech stuff, the issue with Star Fox is just...the bizarro contrast of space shooter and talking animals I guess.

Wow if that's true, that's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for and wrote about a little earlier today, essentially just be able to link whatever random accounts to your single Nintendo account and have it all work together automagically.
To be honest, I don't understand what the difference in online infrastructure means. To the consumer, online is online. Not sure how a game played on Xbox LIVE is a better experience than one played on another network.

Granted, I've yet to actually play a console game online. Ever. I did, though, try out Mario Kart: Super Circuit's online mode a couple of times.
Wasn't Super Circuit the GBA one?

Infrastructure matters if you want more organization in playing I guess. Like I think Nintendo's stuff has been alright if you just want to hop online and play some strangers, but if you want to play with friends/specific people their games have generally been a pain in the ass. They've made strides on the 3DS but it's still lacking since a lot of basic features are still game specific. Then there's other regular stuff like global high scores and everything else on top of the online gameplay itself.

Also right now various companies are making their own networks for their games which is a pain, if Nintendo can tie them together transparently it'll be a nice bonus.

BY2K

Membero Americo

iJEqR0FENxpMP.gif

it'll be a horrible E3 if Nintendo just glosses over the 3DS with no new announcements.

This again? Seriously? The conference will be "horrible" if they don't spend a sizable fraction on the 3DS when everybody has been waiting a YEAR for the Wii U's real debut and at a time when it's absolutely critical that they focus as much time as possible on a new, unreleased home system being marketed to consumers? Hello, they're paying two major entertainment focused cable TV networks with very mainstream audiences to air this conference! They can't AFFORD to water it down for more 3DS hand holding to comfort folks, who for some reason, keep freaking out and thinking any week now the thing is gonna implode and end up in Vita territory. Again, the 3DS is doing very well considering the launch mistakes and the current volatility of the market and has plenty of games on the way.

You think the typical SpikeTV viewer isn't going to get a bit confused and maybe start being tempted to change the channel if they start going on about the current state of an already available portable system when they're waiting to hear more information about a new home console which they're on the fence about and need more info for their purchase decision? The 3DS doesn't need serious focus at the conference. There will be new games announced for it, don't worry. They can mention it for a few minutes, show a quick 3DS sizzle real of new and upcoming games and then get right to the steak and potatoes!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I bet a good 50%+ of 3DS announcements will be on the show floor/their website. The website is always home to some of the best announcements.

japtor

Thought of something earlier...how would Gaf react to TF2 on the eShop?

And some other idea, what are the odds of Nintendo doing an Ambassador program at launch?
Just popping in to ask a question to the all-knowing:

Will my virtual console downloads transfer to my Wii U?
We can only hope. That's pretty much been the main reason I haven't bought any VC/WiiWare stuff on Wii for a while.
yes it is, maybe he means DS,Wii or 7 because the others don't have online (except Double Dash, but it is a bit tricky and i have never played it "online" by myself)
Yeah I thought DS was the first online one. Double Dash was just LAN only officially...I got to do that all of once when I brought my GC over to a friend's place. They ended up getting complaints from their neighbors over the noise we made.

(That doesn't top the time someone called the cops over the noise, I think that was a combination of MKDD and Wario Ware)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Good to have you bless us in these threads. Any whispers that you've heard of late? Anything about release window or retail side?

I know a first-party Wii U game in development. Not an obvious one. But something mentioned a few times. Not Mario or Zelda or Pokemon related.

Outside of that you can propose which teams are lined up to release something. I have a pretty good guess of the nature of some of these projects. But there are also some important questions I can not answer.

But. I have mentioned this. And I think it is a very important thing. Dual releases of several big ips with possible connectivity features. We first heard about it with Smash Bros, now it seems like it is happening with New Super Mario Bros, and it may continue with Animal Crossing and other BIG ips.

Thraktor

I'm definitely expecting a 3DS Zelda to be shown off. The main question is what style of Zelda it's going to be (personally I'm hoping for something continuing the Skyward Sword aesthetic).

I wouldn't be surprised by a CG trailer, I suppose, although it wouldn't excite me much compared to actual footage. I'm actually of the opinion that HAL have been working on the 3DS game for a while now, with Project Sora starting full-scale development of the Wii U version more recently. Possibly targeting release dates towards the end of 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Gravijah

This again? Seriously? The conference will be "horrible" if they don't spend a sizable fraction on the 3DS when everybody has been waiting a YEAR for the Wii U's real debut and at a time when it's absolutely critical that they focus as much time as possible on a new, unreleased home system being marketed to consumers? Hello, they're paying two major entertainment focused cable TV networks with very mainstream audiences to air this conference! They can't AFFORD to water it down for more 3DS hand holding to comfort folks, who for some reason, keep freaking out and thinking any week now the thing is gonna implode and end up in Vita territory. Again, the 3DS is doing very well considering the launch mistakes and the current volatility of the market and has plenty of games on the way.

You think the typical SpikeTV viewer isn't going to get a bit confused and maybe start being tempted to change the channel if they start going on about the current state of an already available portable system when they're waiting to hear more information about a new home console which they're on the fence about and need more info for their purchase decision? The 3DS doesn't need serious focus at the conference. There will be new games announced for it, don't worry. They can mention it for a few minutes, show a quick 3DS sizzle real of new and upcoming games and then get right to the steak and potatoes!!!

i want new 3ds games and i want 'em now.

Kjellson

I know a first-party Wii U game in development. Not an obvious one. But something mentioned a few times. Not Mario or Zelda or Pokemon related.

Outside of that you can propose which teams are lined up to release something. I have a pretty good guess of the nature of some of these projects. But there are also some important questions I can not answer.

But. I have mentioned this. And I think it is a very important thing. Dual releases of several big ips with possible connectivity features. We first heard about it with Smash Bros, now it seems like it is happening with New Super Mario Bros, and it may continue with Animal Crossing and other BIG ips.
Hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom