• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's fair. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but thus far I've posted that I've been unimpressed with their overarching "vision" for Wii U, disappointed that they didn't simply upgrade the Wiimote, and felt that NSMB needs an art revamp.

I've posted all of this, yet I'm still posting in this thread. I'm interested in Wii U, even if I disagree a lot with what Nintendo is doing, and I don't feel ostracized for being too negative. I just balance that with positivity towards NSMB gameplay and PIKMIN MOTHERFUCKING THREE!
Don't mean to generalize everyone. However you are still excited for the WiiU because your a big fan of Pikmin and NSMB. Howver those that aren't and also agree with your assessment of the WiiU are obviously going to be more negative since they don't see any positive reddening factors in the currently announced games like you do. However that doesn't make trolls or haters. Which is what some including that OP saw them as.

EVIL

EHE3V.jpg

^^

That NFC logo depicts a card being held up to the device. Also in the video Iwata says "...you can place cards or figures on this..." Does this info point to the rumors of the "Gamer Card" for Wii U being true?

you can do so much with that tech. have cards you can buy with Nintendo points and read them out with the sensor. Or have your Nintendo club card carry on its chip your wii-u profile with street pass stuff.

Well the Dreamcast controller (one of my favourites) only had one analogue stick so you could argue that the Duke was an evolution of that design.

I always thought it was possibly kind of intentional since the XBox came on the heels of the DC's demise and received a lot of support from Sega right away. DC was a fantastic gamepad. Still can't believe 360's Dpad stayed horrible all this time with no revision.

Fuck that I am not trying to stay up all day.. I mean I should because I would be sleepy then get good sleep for Nintendo conference but I know tomorrow will be one hell of a day already..truly a catch 22..but I will try to fall asleep within the hour. Put my 360 on last.fm put it on the koji kondo station..set my alarm 5 minuets before microsofts conference go to dashboard then watch it on 360..awwwww yeeaaaa...

you can do so much with that tech. have cards you can buy with Nintendo points and read them out with the sensor. Or have your Nintendo club card carry on its chip your wii-u profile with street pass stuff.
I just hope nintendo makes it so I can have a fun reason to collect pokemon cards again. Id love to collect them again.

snesfreak

Banned
Don't mean to generalize everyone. However you are still excited for the WiiU because your a big fan of Pikmin and NSMB. Howver those that aren't and also agree with your assessment of the WiiU are obviously going to be more negative since they don't see any positive reddening factors in the currently announced games like you do. However that doesn't make trolls or haters. Which is what some including that OP saw them as.
Yeah, some of the quoted posts in that thread didn't help his case at all.
There are much much worse posts that I've seen, and reported.
He shouldn't have posted it to begin with though.

I actually think it was possibly kind of intentional since the XBox came on the heels of the DC and received a lot of support from Sega right away. DC was a fantastic gamepad. Still can't believe 360's Dpad stayed horrible all this time with no revision.

The DC pad hurt my hands so bad back then. Longer sessions where impossible with it, and the buttons were terrible on it. The overall form factor was genius, but the intentations were too sharp for my tastes. still, a few tweaks would've been enough to make it amazing, and the 360 controller/WiiU Pro are basically the ultimate evolution of it.
Guys, I find out tomorrow if my baby is going to be a boy or a girl.

This is a great week of reveals for me.

HYPE!

Fucking awesome^^ Congratulations to either a boy or a girl. When is the projected birthdate?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The guy that posted the Leave Nintendo Alone thread included legit trolling like the dust comment however he also included legit comments that were just negative. If someone sees that as trolling than the problem lies with them.

"We" Practically all the regulars in this thread no each other, I'm sure. You're all regulars in the 6th WiiU speculation thread. Definitely die hard Nintendo fans. You all have a somewhat common opinion and preferance for them. Hence the discussion in here is going to be different versus the general forum with people with various opinions/preferences.

Hey man, were not the ones who decided or wanted the thread moved to community. If it was still on the Gaming forum those other folks would be posting here too. Especially now that there is actual news to sound off about.

Vinci

Danish
Fuck that I am not trying to stay up all day.. I mean I should because I would be sleepy then get good sleep for Nintendo conference but I know tomorrow will be one hell of a day already..truly a catch 22..but I will try to fall asleep within the hour. Put my 360 on last.fm put it on the koji kondo station..set my alarm 5 minuets before microsofts conference go to dashboard then watch it on 360..awwwww yeeaaaa...

Actually, on this note, I have a damn final exam in four hours. I should probably, like, study and stuff....

HYPE!

Congrats! If boy, name Link; if girl, name Zelda. You'll thank me later.

Hoo-doo

Banned
With the Pro controller clearly announced, devs have no excuse to not port over their games if they find the gamepad too complicated. So games like Tomb Raider:

tumblr-lmpfj6rjab1qclt3z.gif

Excuse Denied.

Nintendo is not mandating that you used the gamepad for the WiiU.
As a matter of fact, Nintendo's initial concept was to have a secondary screen to use simply as a window for information sitting next to you, and not as a controller.
This still can be done with multi-plat games.

So Crystal Dynamics, and all you other excuse making devs, you got 6 months to port your games over, with improved visuals and framerates.

I have no idea why fans of the Wii-U would applaud such a position.
I mean, the only really unique thing the Wii-U has going for it is it's new controller and the potential it has for new gameplay experiences.

Third party developers casting that thing aside and developing games for a barebones Wii-U console is not what i'd consider a good thing, personally.
It's a ton of wasted potential, and devs would more likely just develop for the PS3 and 360, since they have over 6 years of experience with those devices already.

4:40 AM for me... thinking of going to bed at 6am and waking up a few minutes before MS thing setting my macbook's alarm

Windows 8 360 Kinectimals 2 HYPE!

that would suck hard for everything on tuesday

but damn I am loving its monday so they have a chance to test out how strong these servers are

I need to get involved with the chat just in case GAF goes down during the conference on Tuesday.

HYPE!

Congrats! :-D

I'm having a somewhat similar hype situation with all this Nintendo goodness going on then I'll be getting married in a couple weeks. So I'm all kinds of excited at this point.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Then make it so the screen shows a logo or something but you gotta admit some of the excuses are BS....

I know. I don't know why they don't do that. I don't think Ninty mandates that you have to have complex graphics on the Upad.

But I guess they would worry about getting negative review scores for not being more creative.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
That would make it a more expensive component, would it not? ;)

So, what you are saying is that the nfc is to blame for or Wii U not being in the range of Durango's target specs? :(

Hoo-doo

Banned
however you can design a game with minimal or no touch screen features.

Is that the road you want third parties to go on? Because it'll only get worse.
The touchscreen is what has to set the console apart when the other nextgen consoles arrive, and should be used properly. It should be a reason to want the system, not some afterthought that developers can choose to ignore.

however you can design a game with minimal or no touch screen features.

i mean, in theory. i don't know if nintendo makes people alter their game design decisions.

that came could have no touch screen control features but I wonder if all games stream using the "one line of code" we heard about from Vigil

Vinci

Danish
Seriously, all Tomb Raider needs on the subscreen is a picture of Lara Croft randomly changing emotions relative to how you're doing in the game. Is that SO hard?

And yeah, I'm leaving now.

The DC pad hurt my hands so bad back then. Longer sessions where impossible with it, and the buttons were terrible on it. The overall form factor was genius, but the intentations were too sharp for my tastes. still, a few tweaks would've been enough to make it amazing, and the 360 controller/WiiU Pro are basically the ultimate evolution of it.

Really? Always felt nice and snug for me and buttons were a little flat but never a problem, different strokes and all I guess.

Edit: Dang, all this talk makes me wanna dig out my DC and play some Sonic Adventure, JSR, Ikaruga, Shenmue and Giga Wing.

I know. I don't know why they don't do that. I don't think Ninty mandates that you have to have complex graphics on the Upad.

But I guess they would worry about getting negative review scores for not being more creative.
Then they should stop worrying about creativity and start worrying about their bottom line.....

Thoughts on new info from Nintendo Direct:

Liked
- Black WiiU console/pad (hope color will be available at launch - matte even better)
- Re-designed Upad
- Pro Controller
- OS features (screenshot, etc) "on top of game"
- Video Calls

Didn't like
- MiiPlaza as the system's main menu !?
- Nintendo using the same "gameplay concept" videos as last years E3 (though this might be related to the fact that they didn't want to show -new- software)
- Where is the actual system Nintendo?

Didn't care
- The whole Facebook-ish connected-to-everyone concept they're trying to push - I'm more of a "disconnected-from-everyone" type, especially when gaming.
I just hope stuff can be disabled Or at least not be intrusive.

Overall I think it was a great appetizer before Tuesday and now they got the hardware (=gamepad) out of the way, it'll be all about games!!

Am I the only one who keeps getting weird shit to happen when I hit the gaming tab? It's downloading a "forumdisplay.php" file.

The site works fine on the mobile front, but the desktop one is kinda wonky...

z0m3le

Banned
The guy that posted the Leave Nintendo alone thread included legit trolling like the dust comment owever he also included legit comments that were just negative. If someone sees that as trolling than the problem lies with them.

"We" Practically all the regulars in this thread no each other, I'm sure. You're all regulars in the 6th WiiU speculation thread. Definitely die hard Nintendo fans. You all have a somewhat common opinion and preferance for them. Hence the discussion in here is going to be different versus the general forum with people with various opinions/preferences.

The problem is that the industry is split into two categories, MS and Sony and then Nintendo.
The general forum generally dislikes/hates Nintendo(at least the louder members), so people here end up defending Nintendo and get banned, but there is very little difference between Nintendo fans and MS/Sony fans, the only real difference is Nintendo's identity in the industry is shifted to whimsical while MS/Sony are suppose to be taken seriously.

My point is, in general forum, you can't have a discussion about Wii U without having to defend Nintendo from trolls most of the time, everyone is a bit crazy to take sides but it's also very natural. I am interested in the next consoles from all 3 companies, but I also realize that MS/Sony's next consoles will likely not offer anything different than I can get from my PC except for exclusive games, which I honestly think are sort of a mixed bag for them:
Each halo has gotten worse, all rare games are inferior to their N64/gamecube counterparts, and Sony has some interesting exclusives, but are over hyped, little big planet for instance is a horrible to control game, it's far too floaty and the 3 tiered design is both dated and hard to be precise with. Nintendo's first party stuff is generally amazing but I think motion controls have hurt some of their game play. Still I find myself more interested in the next Zelda, Mario, Metriod, Smash then anything on the other consoles. (ALL in my opinion.)

On another note, I just watched the Nintendo Direct, and I have to say that I am excited about the social direction Nintendo is going, it will be nice if they find a way to incorporate facebook (through an app or something on facebook and the console) to make it a bit more widespread. I really like the idea of this sort of social interaction, and it will become VERY impressive if you can just jump into someones game (like Diablo 3) and play with them, it could become very exciting to even have the sort of level of interaction that you see a friend struggling with a certain boss in a game and you jump in to help him out, or give him items to help him along... I also can't really imagine graphics being a huge problem, since Wii U can display games in 1080p in higher fidelity than PS360 (gearbox comments) that is all I really need, even if games look like the UE4 demo, I'll be fine with the bird demo, and towards the end of Wii U's life, even that will be improved quite a bit, especially if these complicated rumors are true.

Gahiggidy

cannot wait for the Wara Wara thing to run its course

I'm all about the Miiverse :)

When watching the ND again I couldn't help but chuckle each time Iwata said Miiverse because is sounded like "meeverz", like some kind of B-movie monster-critter.

I thought I was the only one. I always got red marks on my middle fingers from the grips being close to the rest of the plastic shell. I never found that pad comfortable.

Good games on the DC though.

Officially, they haven't said anything about that. You should probably expect it not to be though.

It's very unlikely since it'd add an unnecessary expense to the system. Although i'd expect Nintendo to bundle it with some major third party title.

Why? Seriously, it can't cost more than $10 and will shut up all the complaints about non standard controls especially if Sony/MS decide to go completely non standard controls next gen which will leave Nintendo as the only one with a standard controller. It'd be crazy to not have it included.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No way it's packed in. They want to preserve as much profit per console unit as they can.

Why? Seriously, it can't cost more than $10 and will shut up all the complaints about non standard controls especially if Sony/MS decide to go completely non standard controls next gen which will leave Nintendo as the only one with a standard controller. It'd be crazy to not have it included.

People will complain either way. They are already complaining about the very controller they asked for, which does nothing but subtract features and regress to a lesser time.

PogiJones

Banned
I'm having a somewhat similar hype situation with all this Nintendo goodness going on then I'll be getting married in a couple weeks. So I'm all kinds of excited at this point.

Isn't it great how hype stacks? Congrats to you, too!

Congrats! If boy, name Link; if girl, name Zelda. You'll thank me later.

How 'bout Toadstool?

better yet just call it "the baby"

For a while my wife was calling it "the kumquat" when that's how big it was.

But honestly, while I'm super excited to find out, it's an "either this or this" reveal. With Nintendo, there are a lot of unknowns, so the conference has my mind racing more.

does anyone think that some cable companies did strick that deal with Nintendo?

there was a rumor last year they were talking to them... with the gamepad having TV remote features - I can see a cable company logo all over that one with the guide button too

mmmmm

gonna wait and see before I order cable again

Oh man, I just thought of a game I'd die for.

Yoshi's Touch and Go 2. A completely new game with way more options for the randomly generated areas. Full widescreen play across the GamePad with hi-res Yoshi art. The play area could only be on the touchscreen, so it'd probably have to be sold as a uShop only title.

Actually, I wonder if they have some touchscreen only games that may be sold on the uShop.

MDX

I have no idea why fans of the Wii-U would applaud such a position.
I mean, the only really unique thing the Wii-U has going for it is it's new controller and the potential it has for new gameplay experiences.

Third party developers casting that thing aside and developing games for a barebones Wii-U console is not what i'd consider a good thing, personally.
It's a ton of wasted potential, and devs would more likely just develop for the PS3 and 360, since they have over 6 years of experience with those devices already.

If the Wiimote/Chuck is the best way to play FPSs, what do you expect developers to use the gamepad for?

Its not wasted potential if their aim is to push the system in terms of framerate and visuals.
Its also not a wasted potential if the game is designed to be played for long extended periods of time. It is wasted potential if developers dont even develop for the WiiU! This is foot-in-the-door for the WiiU. Get third parties at least working on the system. Once they have the dev kits, etc. They might start to experiment with the gamepad, and who knows what we will get two years down the road.

Developers with AAA games can always cut a deal with Nintendo to release their game bundled with the PRO. They also have the option of selling their game online to minimize distribution costs.

Creative developers will make creative use of gamepad, this is already happening. Also, there are plenty of indy developers that will do so too. And Nintendo alone will provide enough unique games with first and second party teams that will make use of the controller.

What it comes down to is Nintendo is providing every option for a developer to make the best possible game on this console. There are no excuses. Pointer controls for FPSs, Gamepad for asymmetric gameplay, traditional controller for multiplats.

Gahiggidy

It's alright. If you look at the bottom right of the main screen, it seems you can change to a more 3DS menu sort of thing. Or rather Wii Channel menu.

Thanks for pointing that out; I would've missed that.

xtQuK.jpg

Notice that on the TV set is on the bottom-right and on the gamepad it is on the top-right? That seems to me that its a switch that flips the miiverse plaza back and forth between the tv and the gamepad. What we are not seeing is the other half of the OS... whatever those boxes represent (channels?). So, you will always have a view of the main OS when using the miiverse stuff, I think. Also, you can see the Miis running from one screen to the next after the switch-command is made. Cute touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom