• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the "MiiPlaza is the main menu", where is this from? Neither Wii or 3DS have Mii's anywhere in the OS (outside of Mii specific applications), so I image that Wii U wouldn't be that much different.

This may be unrelated to the news based on ND, but... In relation to Retro Studios

They've been working on the Metroid series for awhile now... In an interview awhile back (can't remember with who in Retro studios or what publication), they mentioned that majority of their past art is sci-fi related due to the fact they've been working on Metroid for so long. A guy (perhaps recently) said that they're making something that makes sense...

I'm just saying... Wouldn't it be interesting if they were working on the next F-zero?

I've seen the "MiiPlaza is the main menu", where is this from? Neither Wii or 3DS have Mii's anywhere in the OS (outside of Mii specific applications), so I image that Wii U wouldn't be that much different.

In the Nintendo Direct, Iwata said it's the first thing that boots up when you turn on Wii U.

http://i.imgur.com/xtQuK.jpg

Notice that on the TV set is on the bottom-right and on the gamepad it is on the top-right? That seems to me that its a switch that flips the miiverse plaza back and forth between the tv and the gamepad. What we are not seeing is the other half of the OS... whatever those boxes represent (channels?). So, you will always have a view of the main OS when using the miiverse stuff, I think. Also, you can see the Miis running from one screen to the next after the switch-command is made. Cute touch.

They should make it so if you swap screens five or six times rapidly, they get dizzy or tired from running back and forth. Or maybe if you switch when a Mii is far away from the edge, they will panic and jump off the screen a little later than the others.

Something similar happened to me a lot of times a couple of days ago.

Hmmmm, its really getting me right now. The rest of the tabs work fine for some reason.

PogiJones

Banned
Thanks for pointing that out; I would've missed that.

Notice that on the TV set is on the bottom-right and on the gamepad it is on the top-right? That seems to me that its a switch that flips the miiverse plaza back and forth between the tv and the gamepad. What we are not seeing is the other half of the OS... whatever those boxes represent (channels?). So, you will always have a view of the main OS when using the miiverse stuff, I think. Also, you can see the Miis running from one screen to the next after the switch-command is made. Cute touch.

Nice catch. I missed those details.

starmud

all this D3 on console teasing is killing me :D

i want it with my gamepad.

the OS looks so nice, and all that nintendo charm.

i really want to see how the DD/marketplace/store code system will look/work though...

japtor

Guys, I find out tomorrow if my baby is going to be a boy or a girl.

This is a great week of reveals for me.

HYPE!
Imagine if IdeaMan was your doctor. You wouldn't find out the sex until going into labor (but until then you would get vague hints that it's either going to be a boy or a girl).
When watching the ND again I couldn't help but chuckle each time Iwata said Miiverse because is sounded like "meeverz", like some kind of B-movie monster-critter.
I liked his pronunciation of gamepad and gameplay, he sounded like Yoda.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Well, that sorta blew me away.

Loved all the social stuff. It's a really cool approach. I can't wait for Tuesday now.

Imagine if IdeaMan was your doctor. You wouldn't find out the sex until going into labor (but until then you would get vague hints that it's either going to be a boy or a girl).

I liked his pronunciation of gamepad and gameplay, he sounded like Yoda.
Well it has eyes and a head, It is defininetly a boy or a girl.

note: It has been rumored to have legs and arms too we may very well be dealing with a human child here.

dont kill me ideaman

Elfteiroh

The guy that posted the Leave Nintendo Alone thread included legit trolling like the dust comment however he also included legit comments that were just negative. If someone sees that as trolling than the problem lies with them.

"We" Practically all the regulars in this thread no each other, I'm sure. You're all regulars in the 6th WiiU speculation thread. Definitely die hard Nintendo fans. You all have a somewhat common opinion and preferance for them. Hence the discussion in here is going to be different versus the general forum with people with various opinions/preferences.

We're all regular, but that doesn't mean we're all positive! I've seen some persons being CONSTANTLY negative about everything, but they provided arguments and opinions. They discussed it. It's a thread to discuss and speculate on the WiiU. Not to gloat over it.
(even if we do more than our share of gloating some times)

Anyway.
This Nintendo Direct was Awesome. I was able to watch it during my break at my job, but I was sad that I wasn't able to get here to discuss it before... well, way too late.
I can't wait for Tuesday! :O
The OS seems great, even if we haven't see it all.
The skit was deliciously cheesy with some extra cheese. Reminded me of Nintendo Week.
I still find it astonishing how Nintendo can constantly create new memes with everything they do. :)
I can't wait to have you all in my Miiverse. :)

Oh, and congrats PogiJones for the kid.
It's always great to hear news like that. Makes the community feels more alive. xD

Also... Damn, my three bingo cards are really bogus. :( Not a SINGLE square ticked with this Nintendo Direct. T_T

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Feeling the need to defend Nintendo is part two of the problem, the first part being the trolls in the first place.

Protip: Grow up and get over it. Let the trolling children troll themselves into a ban. Stop stooping to their level and engaging in dumb, pathetic arguments in a futile attempt to prove them wrong.

If you feel the need to 'defend' a company, pack your bags and head on over to GameFAQs or something.

bomma_man

Thanks for pointing that out; I would've missed that.

xtQuK.jpg

I'm fairly certain he said that the other half of the OS would be "familiar". So yeah probably channels or 3DS style. Hopefully they manage to integrate the eShop a bit better this time.

Not sure why anyone would "defend" nintendo per say, considering they have clearly won this generation by a good margin while making a huge profit in the process. It is irritating at times when people muck up threads, but that is a forum wide issue. First post, "google the thread title and post pics", troll, etc.

I'm fairly certain he said that the other half of the OS would be "familiar". So yeah probably channels or 3DS style. Hopefully they manage to integrate the eShop a bit better this time.
One thing I've always loved in an OS is smooth animations and a bit of "motion" in things. For instance, it would be nice if the layers didn't simply slide, but rather had a good transition animation. Maybe idle animations on selected tiles and whatnot. Those sorts of things.

HylianTom

Banned
Like I said I understand where you're coming from but It really does happen all the time on this site. Nintendo threads aren't special. People troll in other threads and don't get banned either. If any of you ever see a problem, don't make a thread. PM a mod. That's what they're there for.

Late to the party, but good advice. Very effective.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They should make it so if you swap screens five or six times rapidly, they get dizzy or tired from running back and forth. Or maybe if you switch when a Mii is far away from the edge, they will panic and jump off the screen a little later than the others.

Nintendo generally puts a lot of thought into little stuff like that, and even MS (who generally don't put a lot of thought into little stuff like that) included a lot of little easter eggs in their Avatar system... like burping, dizziness, waving, etc.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think the U controller will be best for board and card games. Checkers and Chess would work nicely, as Yu-Gi-Oh! and perhaps Pokemon cards would be great as well.

Taker666

Interesting that the mic is good enough to pick up voice from a distance..I was expecting it to be a fairly weak 3DS style one.

The positioning of the controller during voice chat (just in front of the tv) also made me wonder if they are intending on using it for Eyetoy style functionality as well.

As far as them bundling the pro controller..it won't happen. If they bundle anything it will be the wii remote ..to allow for the sort of interaction we saw in the golf game.

I went to sleep but construction outside my window woke me up at this time :(

main I love that OS UI everytime I see it

Feeling the need to defend Nintendo is part two of the problem, the first part being the trolls in the first place.

Protip: Grow up and get over it. Let the trolling children troll themselves into a ban. Stop stooping to their level and engaging in dumb, pathetic arguments in a futile attempt to prove them wrong.

If you feel the need to 'defend' a company, pack your bags and head on over to GameFAQs or something.

man, you guys should make me a mod... I was saying this al day :)

Tim-E

I have no real-life friends where I live now to vent about how excited I am about E3, and even fewer people I know are interested in Nintendo or E3 in general, so congrats Wii U speculation thread, you are now my friends.

Honestly, though, I think this concept of this console is a pretty brilliant balance between what the Wii was trying to accomplish and ackowledging the fact about how we as individuals interact with our devices while making an effort to address that issue and use this individualzed device to interact with people online and in the same room as you. I hope the execution can achieve this.

man if that Diablo 3 PS3 exclusive rumor is true... oh man so gud to know that it these games can come to consoles and it was not an impossible thing we taked about
KuGsj.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Demiurge did such a good job with Mass Effect PC that BioWare's internally made ME2/ME3 ports were worse.

Tim-E

I thought the original PC port was pretty shit? Or am I confusing that with the later ports?

The original port wasn't too bad, but ME2's sucked. I never played ME3 because I didn't like the direction the series was going in, but the port wasn't very well-received, either.

EatChildren

I thought the original PC port was pretty shit? Or am I confusing that with the later ports?

It had performance problems, but all early UE3 games, and Mass Effect in general, had performance problems. In terms of reworking the user interface for PC Demiurge knocked it out of the park. Full mouse control for pretty much everything, hotkeys, and a squad menu system that gave greater control over the original 360 version.

BioWare's PC ports of ME2/ME3 performed well, but ignored all the HUD and UI advancements Demiurge made. You have less control than the original. ME3 is the worst of the bunch, as it strips the control down further (eg: removing holstering entirely because of console limitations), and had even less graphical tweaking options.

The original port wasn't too bad, but ME2's sucked. I never played ME3 because I didn't like the direction the series was going in, but the port wasn't very well-received, either.

Ah ok, never played the PC versions, so I wasn't sure. Probably some snippets I overread somewhere and confused them.

It had performance problems, but all early UE3 games, and Mass Effect in general, had performance problems. In terms of reworking the user interface for PC Demiurge knocked it out of the park. Full mouse control for pretty much everything, hotkeys, and a squad menu system that gave greater control over the original 360 version.

BioWare's PC ports of ME2/ME3 performed well, but ignored all the HUD and UI advancements Demiurge made. You have less control than the original. ME3 is the worst of the bunch, as it strips the control down further (eg: removing holstering entirely because of console limitations), and had even less graphical tweaking options.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I haven't been a PC player for quite some time. It sucks that many developers don't give a shit about the PC. My opinion on Bioware is pretty poisoned since ME2 and this doesn't really surprise me. But I didn't know that ME1 was ported by another studio.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
man if that Diablo 3 PS3 exclusive rumor is true... oh man so gud to know that it these games can come to consoles and it was not an impossible thing we taked about
KuGsj.gif

Like I said in that thread, I can believe it is coming to consoles, but I would be surprised if it is a PS3 exclusive.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
*Brother is hogging TV to play PS3*

*Uses Wii U Gamepad to turn TV off*
Careful there. The above might give you a neurotic brother and a band-aid over your TV's IR receiver.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
can't your brother play PS3 on the TV while you play your WiiU games on the GamePad?

why are you so cruel?

It seems that Ninty stupidly won't mandate that every game can be played just using the Upad screen so no, he'll still need that tv.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What are the Gaf feelings about Wii U after the N direct of yesterday?
To me nothing has changed: I'm still waiting to see the real deals of the console.

effzee

I know Ubisoft will show something, but is EA confirmed for anything?

I am kinda glad that even if EA can't take advantage of the tablet controls for Madden, the classic controller is so similar to the Xbox360 and PS3, that at worst it will control as well as those versions. With hopefully improved visuals. CAN'T WAIT! I basically bought a PS3 this current gen for the sports games because as fun as WiiSports was, the real sports games didn't translate well at all to the Wii, especially to the Wiimote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom