• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Multiplayer Media (Spartan Ops & War Games)

I've brought this point up multiple times in the Halo Community thread and Frank has confirmed that they're looking at a skill based ranking system, but that it's more than likely not the same 1-50 system as we're used to.

I fully agree with what you're saying; longevity in Halo 4 will be determined, not solely, by if it has a skill based ranking system. As I've reiterated countless times before, anecdotally I know tons of friends in real life who dropped Reach because it didn't have a ranking system. And if Halo 4 is the same then it'll be dropped quickly too.

Agreed. Halo 4 needs a skill based ranking system and not just in one leprosy playlist like the Arena where it's shunted away in a corner.

Conor 419

Banned
100% agreed that a skill based ranking system is necessary. Also, levelling up can be independant from ranking up, they should do that.

Didn't Reach at least use invisible trueskill to match people up?

The game looks quite stunning and I'm sure it'll be great, but my current concern is that a few of the sound effects sound rather weak.

Conor 419

Banned
I'd just like to thank 343i again, thank you guys so much. It's so so so...nice, to see that a series that redefined me as a gamer, is continuing to do so.

Looking forward to playing the campaign!

Didn't Reach at least use invisible trueskill to match people up?

The game looks quite stunning and I'm sure it'll be great, but my current concern is that a few of the sound effects sound rather weak.
People who had played the game said it is completely different than the videos.

Mastrbiggy(A NeoGAF user) wrote this about the sound:
The Sound:

Phenomenal. I know you think you heard Halo 4 over that stream, but trust me you didn’t. Sotaro Tojima made me jump out of the seat when a Promethean Knight teleport charged me. The plasma pistol made my ears bleed and the AR sounds more menacing than the CE AR. The game packs a punch in the sound department. I could spend hours talking about how intense and visceral everything sounded. Actually, I think I might do that at some point.

Arnie, I've had the same experience. Most of my friends dropped Reach for two reasons: Bloom, and the lack of a numbered ranking system. A lot of them have said numerous times that a return of the 50 would get them back into it. I think this is true for a very large portion of the community, or rather, the former community.

Arnie

Arnie, I've had the same experience. Most of my friends dropped Reach for two reasons: Bloom, and the lack of a numbered ranking system. A lot of them have said numerous times that a return of the 50 would get them back into it. I think this is true for a very large portion of the community, or rather, the former community.

That's the most important thing to me; the push for a skill based system isn't confined to a section of super competitive players, it's a system that resonates with many types of players. It's a system that offers a more substantial reward than credits or experience, it's a marker of your ability as a player and where you can improve.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That's the most important thing to me; the push for a skill based system isn't confined to a section of super competitive players, it's a system that resonates with many types of players. It's a system that offers a more substantial reward than credits or experience, it's a marker of your ability as a player and where you can improve.

what if it was something like waypoint's BPR but displayed in game?

Arnie

Can't stop staring at this.

ibjvaW21dNfnaq.gif

what if it was something like waypoint's BPR but displayed in game?
That's got potential. But I only found out about BPR a few weeks ago (when I first logged into Waypoints stats) so I'm not all clued up about it's intricacies. The most important thing to me is the ability for it to change on a game to game basis. The Arena system didn't work for many reasons, one of which was that it took too long to see instant changes to your current level.

op_ivy

Can't stop staring at this.

ibjvaW21dNfnaq.gif

That's got potential. But I only found out about BPR a few weeks ago (when I first logged into Waypoints stats) so I'm not all clued up about it's intricacies. The most important thing to me is the ability for it to change on a game to game basis. The Arena system didn't work for many reasons, one of which was that it took too long to see instant changes to your current level.

from my experience, it pretty flawed. says i'm a 99 when i'd say i'm only above average to good. i also dont think it changes game to game but is much more long term. but it could certainly be improved upon.

I feel BPR is a start. But it also seems very simple. I'm not going to pretend I know how it's calculated, but 1-50 seemed to be a far more intricate system.

Arnie

from my experience, it pretty flawed. says i'm a 99 when i'd say i'm only above average to good. i also dont think it changes game to game but is much more long term. but it could certainly be improved upon.

Doesn't sound like an ideal solution then.

For me the system needs a broad enough spectrum to separate players into distinct categories, and measure them within that. There's nothing wrong with the Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx system, but it needs immediate qualifiers within that which change on a game to game basis to reflect specific, current levels.

Perhaps if the overall grade (for example, silver) is based on a holistic examination of a player's performances in War Games, and a separate number is allocated based on a player's current performance in a specific playlist.

So I'm fairly good at Halo, but I'm excellent at Snipers; so in the Team Snipers playlist I'm a Gold / 50

Overdoziz

Banned
Depends how many 50s you've got?

I only ever got a 48
Highest I got to is 45 (in SWAT), most of my ranks were around 40-45. I exclusively played solo in ranked though and I didn't really start playing it very competitively until the end of its life-cycle. I'm a lot better at Reach though. Went from a 1.5 k/d in Halo 3 to a 2.05 in Reach, mostly because I play with teams 90% of the times now.

Arnie

Highest I got to is 45 (in SWAT), most of my ranks were around 40-45. I exclusively played solo in ranked though and I didn't really start playing it very competitively until the end of its life-cycle. I'm a lot better at Reach though. Went from a 1.5 k/d in Halo 3 to a 2.05 in Reach, mostly because I play with teams 90% of the times now.

Sounds like I was similar to you; my 48 was in Swat and I spent far too long playing for shits and giggles that by the time I decided to take the game seriously I was locked out of getting a top rank.

Which reminds me: any skill based system shouldn't make it almost impossible for players to reach the top ranks despite their early performances, because then it contradicts the incentive to improve.

op_ivy

i wasnt saying BPR, as it is in reach, should be in 4, but something similar could be. possibly with a significant modifier based on recent performance trends so that it can change and reflects current performance better.

rar

the guns look and sound pretty bad. also the game still looks really slow, movement speed needs a big bump. i don't like the ridiculous assassinations and all the silly stuff ripped from call of duty. the environments look nice but they're still too busy, and the fov is still too low. as a fan of halo 1 mp this doesn't look like it'll get me back into the series - the devs continue to rip out all the quake-esque aspects of the game and replace them with modern bs gimmicks

TheOddOne

the guns look and sound pretty bad. also the game still looks really slow, movement speed needs a big bump. i don't like the ridiculous assassinations and all the silly stuff ripped from call of duty. the environments look nice but they're still too busy, and the fov is still too low. as a fan of halo 1 mp this doesn't look like it'll get me back into the series - the devs continue to rip out all the quake-esque aspects of the game and replace them with modern bs gimmicks
You should play Reach.

Overdoziz

Banned
343 need to leave their own mark on the franchise, which I'm fully supportive of. I'm hoping it feels different and fresh, switching up sounds will help that.
Leave their own mark on the game by using the Plasma Launcher grenade explosion sound as the normal Plasma Grenade sound. Makes sense.

It's been confirmed that you can play single player Spartan Ops, and in the Infinity trailer, the XP screen shows a payout line for playing online (do so, get more XP). So you can definitely play solo, or multiple players offline.

Edit: here.

Online_Ops.png

Thank you thank you thank you for actually putting the exact amount of experience needed to go up to the next rank, 343! I never understood why the hell Bungie didn't do that in Reach. Silly oversight when they know how addicted people are to ranking up.

TheOddOne

Halshy been giving out tons of info.

Check out his videos: Walshy Halo 4 Day One | Day Two | Day Three

My write-up.

Multiplayer:
  • Incendiary weapons are Forerunner weapons, such as the Scattershot and Lightrifle we saw during the campaign reveal.
  • Every time a Forerunner weapon is used, you will get that incendiary animation when killing someone.
  • You can bounce off the Scattershot, kind of like the Grenade Launcher from Halo Reach.
  • One of the new armor abilities is a shield, when equipped you go into third person and you will not be able to shoot.
  • Shield is able to deflect Scattershots – can cause people to commit suicide when used effectively.
  • There is a multiplayer mode called Infinite Slayer, with it there is a new point system in where you get points for kills, assist, double-kills, killing spree and more.
  • There is a risk and reward aspect in the point system, for example if you go for assassinations you will get more points.
  • The Battle Rifle is three-shot burst, there is an indicator when your shots are hitting. On the gun you will see hash marks around your cursor indicating that.
  • Promethean vision does a pulsing wave when equipped, it hits any anybody who is in the area.
  • There is a possibility to use the full usage percentage of armor ability to see pretty far across the map.
  • When you get hit by Promethean vision you will get a audio cue that somebody is using it.
  • Sniper Rifle has a lot more recoil to it, between shots it took a while to re-centre it. It was difficult to explain, but it felt powerful and a one-shot kill weapon.
  • There is a circle bar on the left side, like the armor ability bar from Reach, on the screen. The more points you get the more it fills up and when it’s full you get to choose a ordnance drop.
  • You get to choose three things from the ordnance drops via the D-pad.
  • On the right D-pad is going to be power ups, for example speedboost (you move faster, reload faster), powerboost (lets you do more damage) and overshield.
  • When somebody is using a power up you will know it via visual tricks such as when you have powerboost you will be red. If you have overshield, you will be green.
  • On the right D-pad are weapons such as the Scattershot. They are balancing it out per map basis, on certain levels sniper is the best so that is the highest weapon you can get.
  • The ordnance drops carry over when respawned, so if you die before you used it you will get to use when respawned.
  • Ordnance drops are very nearby when used and anybody can take it from you.
  • Ordnance drops indicators are active when you are nearby, not when you’re on the other side of the map.
  • Walshy estimated that there are 1300 possible load-out combinations from the build he played.
  • There will be more tactical options, support options, armor abilities, weapons and more when the game comes out.
  • The fourth option for tactical option is “Shielding”, which makes your shield recharge faster.
  • With the tactical option “Resupply” you can pick up grenades from your teammates or enemies. You can’t do this without the perk.
  • The tactical option ”AA efficiency” lets your armor ability recharge faster.
  • The support option “Ammo” gives you more ammo from the moment you spawn, but also the ordnance drops you call in have more ammo.
  • The support option “Sensor” increases the distance of your radar and the sensitivity of it.
  • The support option “Awareness” lets you see your radar while zoomed in.
  • The support option “Mobility” lets you have infinite sprint. Normal sprint is for 7 seconds estimates Walshy.
  • With the armor ability “Thruster pack” you get only one burst and you can go every direction you want. You can’t shoot when using it and screen goes blurry.
  • The armor ability “Shield” has infinite damage, third person and you can’t shoot. You move fairly slow. Shield lasts about 8 seconds before it dissipates and needs to recharge to use again.
  • Scattershot has a five bullet clip and you get six buckshots off of it. The rounds can bounce off of surfaces. Can shoot around corners.
  • There is a Spartan Laser, much like that one from Halo 3, and takes a while to recharge.
Spartan Ops:
  • Spartan Ops takes places six months after the campaign.
  • Spartan Ops has matchmaking, difficulty is from easy to legendary.
  • On easy the mission they played took about 10 to 15 minutes.
  • 343 is not recycling maps from campaign or multiplayer, they are new standalone maps.
  • 343 is banking on the first season of Spartan Ops being a full campaign worth of martial.

wwm0nkey

Apparently instant spawning will spawn you AWAY from the battle where as the timed spawns (you can do either one) will bring you in closer to battle. So really instant spawning doesnt give you much advantages except for in FFA I guess.

Overdoziz

Banned
Apparently instant spawning will spawn you AWAY from the battle where as the timed spawns (you can do either one) will bring you in closer to battle. So really instant spawning doesnt give you much advantages except for in FFA I guess.
I vaguely remember an IGN video in which someone used the X to spawn thing and spawned in the same hallway (that curved hallway on the outside of Wraparound/Haven) in which he got killed. If he had hit the guy who killed him before he died and could've finished him off before he got his shields back. Still not a big fan at all of instant respawns because even when they've got it set up that you will spawn away from the action there will definitely be situations in which it won't happen which can cause problems.

Is splitscreen online confirmed for this yet? Loadouts and customizeable spartans makes me worried that We won't be able to take a buddy or two online with us in matchmaking.

All I wan't is to play big team slayer with 3 buddies on the same tv. Is that so much to ask?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is splitscreen online confirmed for this yet? Loadouts and customizeable spartans makes me worried that We won't be able to take a buddy or two online with us in matchmaking.

All I wan't is to play big team slayer with 3 buddies on the same tv. Is that so much to ask?
This generation, yes it is.

I have faith in 343 though, to carry the splitscreen capabilities of Reach and hopefully expand them further.

This generation, yes it is.

I have faith in 343 though, to carry the splitscreen capabilities of Reach and hopefully expand them further.

I would hope so. When I heard that you can now drop in on games in progress I figured there would no longer be a need to have the strict playlist limits on bigger parties. But then hearing news about Spartans leveling and unlocking equipment that is more than just aesthetic has had me uneasy.

My write-up.

Multiplayer:
  • Incendiary weapons are Forerunner weapons, such as the Scattershot and Lightrifle we saw during the campaign reveal.
  • Every time a Forerunner weapon is used, you will get that incendiary animation when killing someone.
  • You can bounce off the Scattershot, kind of like the Grenade Launcher from Halo Reach.
  • One of the new armor abilities is a shield, when equipped you go into third person and you will not be able to shoot.
  • Shield is able to deflect Scattershots – can cause people to commit suicide when used effectively.
  • There is a multiplayer mode called Infinite Slayer, with it there is a new point system in where you get points for kills, assist, double-kills, killing spree and more.
  • There is a risk and reward aspect in the point system, for example if you go for assassinations you will get more points.
  • The Battle Rifle is three-shot burst, there is an indicator when your shots are hitting. On the gun you will see hash marks around your cursor indicating that.
  • Promethean vision does a pulsing wave when equipped, it hits any anybody who is in the area.
  • There is a possibility to use the full usage percentage of armor ability to see pretty far across the map.
  • When you get hit by Promethean vision you will get a audio cue that somebody is using it.
  • Sniper Rifle has a lot more recoil to it, between shots it took a while to re-centre it. It was difficult to explain, but it felt powerful and a one-shot kill weapon.
  • There is a circle bar on the left side, like the armor ability bar from Reach, on the screen. The more points you get the more it fills up and when it’s full you get to choose a ordnance drop.
  • On the right D-pad is going to be power ups, for example speedboost (you move faster, reload faster), powerboost (lets you do more damage) and overshield.
  • When somebody is using a power up you will know it via visual tricks such as when you have powerboost you will be red. If you have overshield, you will be green.
  • On the right D-pad are weapons such as the Scattershot. They are balancing it out per map basis, on certain levels sniper is the best so that is the highest weapon you can get.
  • The ordnance drops carry over when respawned, so if you die before you used it you will get to use when respawned.
  • Ordnance drops indicators are active when you are nearby, not when you’re on the other side of the map.
  • Walshy estimated that there are 1300 possible load-out combinations from the build he played.
  • There will be more tactical options, support options, armor abilities, weapons and more when the game comes out.
  • The fourth option for tactical option is “Shielding”, which makes your shield recharge faster.
  • With the tactical option “Resupply” you can pick up grenades from your teammates or enemies. You can’t do this without the perk.
  • The support option “Ammo” gives you more ammo from the moment you spawn, but also the ordnance drops you call in have more ammo.
  • The support option “Sensor” increases the distance of your radar and the sensitivity of it.
  • The support option “Mobility” lets you have infinite sprint. Normal sprint is for 7 seconds estimates Walshy.
  • With the armor ability “Thruster pack” you get only one burst and you can go every direction you want. You can’t shoot when using it and screen goes blurry.
  • The armor ability “Shield” has infinite damage, third person and you can’t shoot. You move fairly slow.
  • Scattershot has a five bullet clip and you get six buckshots off of it.
  • There is a Spartan Laser, much like that one from Halo 3, and takes a while to recharge.
Spartan Ops:
  • 343 is not recycling maps from campaign or multiplayer, they are new standalone maps.
  • 343 is banking on the first season of Spartan Ops being a full campaign worth of martial.

Nice write up! I haven't had a shot to watch all the impression vids, so it is much appreciated.

My write-up.

Multiplayer:
    [*]The armor ability “Shield” has infinite damage, third person and you can’t shoot. You move fairly slow. Shield lasts about 8 seconds before it dissipates and needs to recharge to use again.
    [*]Scattershot has a five bullet clip and you get six buckshots off of it. The rounds can bounce off of surfaces. Can shoot around corners.
Spartan Ops:

Just added some things to your list (in the bold).

This alone has got to mean 2 discs. Right? They can't fit a whole campaign and 10 MP maps on one.

Not necessarily. We haven't had any concrete evidence of 2 discs yet.

A few clarifications:

- Spartan Ops does not simply recycle Campaign levels.

- Spartan Ops missions are downloads, not disc-locked content.

- War Games (multiplayer) maps are not integrated into Campaign (like they were in Reach).

Of course, the different maps/levels may still share themes and textures.

Danis

Neo Member

My write-up.

Multiplayer:

All these things, I do not like, at all. Some even sound game breaking. Have they confirmed a straight "Halo" playlist yet? Like, if I want to play Halo while playing Halo 4?

Kibbles

What's with the horizontal lines in movement on the IGN video, I would think they would have better cameras than that? >_>

EvB

Any suggestion of LE H4 console yet?

They have some new metallic paints to use up, maybe a orange pad and a green machine....

/puke

Top Bottom