• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Multiplayer Media (Spartan Ops & War Games)

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Really looking forward to this game. The game looked beautiful and I'm excited to get into the MP this time around.

zlatko

Banned
So has it been discussed that this game does have a grenade launcher? Or w/e the hell it is.

Has what, 8 rounds? Rocket launcher isn't bad imo, but that new one that's like a pistol or w/e seems hella deadly compared to the one in Reach.

shinnn

iRTFrSHxLjbBe.gif

Korosenai

So we still don't actually know if there is still a real jetpack or if the thruster replaced the jetpack? Jetpack was the best thing about Reach...

There's a gif around here somewhere that shows the thruster pack, jetpack, and hardlight shield.

http://i.minus.com/iRZk9e0oBgDCo.gif[IMG]

The way the wings/shell pieces shiver the instant the knife lands...so good![/QUOTE]

I love how its face mask opens when it screams. The detail really is amazing.

Woorloog

Banned
So we still don't actually know if there is still a real jetpack or if the thruster replaced the jetpack? Jetpack was the best thing about Reach...

Yes we know.
The Thruster pack is a replacement for Evade, one use per max charge, no rolling so you can be hit while "evading" and has shorter range than Evade.
Jetpack is Jetpack, but we don't know if it has lower ceiling or faster AA depletion or what.

Bombadil

Banned
ir7JZoASjfU7k.gif

I don't like the death animation of the guy on the ghost. Why does he pop off like that? It would be better if he fell off naturally or else slumped over while remaining in the seat until someone came and pulled his body off. That would be a better animation.

TheDanger

Banned
Well, Forge World's idea was awesome, and some good has come from it (Dat MLG Sanctuary).
Also, Powerhouse is pretty good. For a Reach map. Hell, it is a lot better than some Halo 3 launch maps (Snowbound, ugh).
But overall, no, the maps weren't good. Not campaign, not Firefight, not MP.

I'd say the Halo 3 launch maps were pretty much all fantastic except for snowbound/boundless.

Yes we know.
The Thruster pack is a replacement for Evade, one use per max charge, no rolling so you can be hit while "evading" and has shorter range than Evade.
Jetpack is Jetpack, but we don't know if it has lower ceiling or faster AA depletion or what.

Cool, thanks. So based on what you said I'm assuming 343 has said they nerfed the jetpack quite a bit.

Woorloog

Banned
Cool, thanks. So based on what you said I'm assuming 343 has said they nerfed the jetpack quite a bit.

We haven't seen anyone really using it and demostrating it. But considering how much Reach AAs have gained criticism and 343i has show they've made changes to them (such as replacing the AL with this new Hard Light Shield (directional, slows movement, can't use weapon while it, explosives penetrate it) and changing Evade to Thruster pack), i'd assume the jetpack has been tweaked/nerfed.

On what Earth was Epitaph "fantastic"?...

So beatiful, so perfect for my playstyle. Won so many matches on that map. Exploiting bad desing was great.

(No, it is not a fantastic map)

We haven't seen anyone really using it and demostrating it. But considering how much Reach AAs have gained criticism and 343i has show they've made changes to them (such as replacing the AL with this new Hard Light Shield (directional, slows movement, can't use weapon while it, explosives penetrate it) and changing Evade to Thruster pack), i'd assume the jetpack has been tweaked/nerfed.
Makes sense, thanks for the info!

ibdQEbS6PFRf6O.gif

Nice example of a modern skill-based kill.
I hope people complain enough during launch so they can nerf it asap.

I don't see the problem, the weapon looks like a combination of the grenade launcher in Reach and the torque bow in Gears.
It's another weapon to kill people with.

methodman

Banned
Haven't been following Halo 4 too extensively (other then some of the campaign videos that have been released) but is there gonna be Reach like multiplayer (ie jetpacks, and all those things)? I really hated that. I still got XBL Gold because I play Halo 3 online all the time, but Reach was such a disappointment to me.

edit: on my phone so not able to watch those videos in op right now (plus i got gifs turned off).

ibdQEbS6PFRf6O.gif

Nice example of a modern skill-based kill.
I hope people complain enough during launch so they can nerf it asap.

Anyone who plays Reach regularly will tell you that one of the things that Bungie nailed - was the grenade launcher. A great mix of skill/practice and power potential. Assuming that the weapon in that GIF shares the same characteristics it will be amazing and rewarding.

volturnus

Banned
I don't see the problem, it looks like it works similar to the torque bow from Gears.
It's another weapon to kill people with.
Not sure this was the comparison you wanted to make, since torque bow was a well known overpowered weapon in Gears 1 and 2.
Anyone who plays Reach regularly will tell you that one of the things that Bungie nailed - was the grenade launcher. A great mix of skill/practice and power potential. Assuming that the weapon in that GIF shares the same characteristics it will be amazing and rewarding.
They did make it quite balanced, but this doesn't look like it. The guy barely aims, he sees someone up ahead and pulls the trigger, it's that simple.

Woorloog

Banned
Not sure this was the comparison you wanted to make, since torque bow was a well known overpowered weapon in Gears 1 and 2.

They did make it quite balanced, but this doesn't look like it. The guy barely aims, he sees someone up ahead and pulls the trigger, it's that simple.

Well, it is a power weapon like the Rocket Launcher (a weapon that does even more damage and requires even less skill).

Havok

That particular weapon requires (as far as has been shown) a second pull of the trigger to detonate the charge, which brings it in line with the Reach Grenade Launcher's behavior since you have to judge distance in the same fashion. That isn't to say that I think it'll be perfect, but worrying at this stage is probably premature.

The Grenade Launcher was literally the single best thing Reach added.
Plasma Launcher takes that prize by virtue of being the best antivehicle weapon in the series, aiding in the area that the games had been hurting the most in the last couple iterations.

Woorloog

Banned
Only thing I don't like about this moment: the screen shake should come when the Phantom and first Banshees fly by. It's odd there's no screen shake for those, but it's present for the last two Banshees.

Well, it ain't the final build. Stuff like this will be adjusted. I hope.

Overdoziz

Banned
You can do the exact same thing with the grenade launcher. It's pretty difficult to get the timing right though. It's not like the grenade launcher in CoD where you can shoot in a general direction and always get a kill.
The GL is my favorite Halo weapon, really.

Only thing I don't like about this moment: the screen shake should come when the Phantom and first Banshees fly by. It's odd there's no screen shake for those, but it's present for the last two Banshees.
The screen isn't shaking because of the banshees, there is probably some distant explosion that causes it.

Woorloog

Banned
You can do the exact same thing with the grenade launcher. It's pretty difficult to get the timing right though. It's not like the grenade launcher in CoD where you can shoot in a general direction and always get a kill.

The GL is my favorite Halo weapon, really.

Do note this new 'Nade Launcher launches sticky 'nades.. indeed, you can see it sticking the enemy in the gif, then the "radar" screen start flipping open but the operator releases/re-pulls the trigger and the 'nade goes off. So it is a tad easier weapon than the Pro-pipe in Reach.

Overdoziz

Banned
Do note this new 'Nade Launcher launches sticky 'nades.. indeed, you can see it sticking the enemy in the gif, then the "radar" screen start flipping open but the operator releases/re-pulls the trigger and the 'nade goes off. So it is a tad easier weapon than the Pro-pipe in Reach.
Yeah, pretty disappointing because bouncing the grenades around corners and getting a kill is one of the few amazing things in Reach. It's what made the weapon so great. Wonder what the reason is behind not just keeping the Grenade Launcher.

Arnie

I like the idea of Spartan Ops. Derivative, but it sounds promising.

To me it's the opposite of derivative; it's an episodic, serialised take on co-operative multiplayer with it's own separate narrative that ties back into the games fiction, be it in both single and multiplayer.

It's the one thing they've announced that's absolutely blown me away with it's originality. Quite like Bungie used to do with, say, Forge.

Ken

http://i.minus.com/ir7JZoASjfU7k.gif[/MG]

I don't like the death animation of the guy on the ghost. Why does he pop off like that? It would be better if he fell off naturally or else slumped over while remaining in the seat until someone came and pulled his body off. That would be a better animation.[/QUOTE]

The only animation that frequently bothers me is the lack of a fluid animation of getting your primary weapon back in your hand after finishing an assassination.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, pretty disappointing because bouncing the grenades around corners and getting a kill is one of the few amazing things in Reach. It's what made the weapon so great. Wonder what the reason is behind not just keeping the Grenade Launcher.

Too hard to use? Maybe they wanted to do their own take on it? *shrug* Really wish 343i would make a MP vidoc and explain this there. Or in the upcoming podcast.

I was kinda hoping the Sticky Detonator would have directed explosive grenades like the Spike 'nade in Halo 3.
You know, shoot a 'nade in a wall, wait till someone walks in front of it... Would replace bounce satisfactorily, IMO.
Without holding the trigger, the explosion could be spherical, reduced area of effect but easier to damage someone close to the grenade.

Speaking of Forge...where is it

In game, Frankie implied there is 11th map in addition to 10 MP maps, 11th which would be a Forge environment. They'll probably talk about the Forge later on, at PAX, i'd guess.
EDIT Arnie's explanation is better, a couple of posts down.

Korosenai

Who knows, but knowing 343, you'll probably never find out.

Arnie

Speaking of Forge...where is it

It's in, and Frank referred to it's ability to create maps as 'Forge maps/environments'. Somebody brought up the 10 map count in the retail game, and Frank responded by saying that number excludes the Forge maps/environments.

Top Bottom