• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

I get the feeling that the delay with the fifth kit and it going through such a long tweaking probably dealt with the CPU since there was a small performance boost. There were enough problems arising in the 4th kit pointing to the CPU to not think it was ignored during that roughly six month tweak period.

Remember a while back wsippel found out that the latest version of the compiler for the Wii U broke compatibility with older libraries? As I pointed out at the time, this could happen if IBM and Nintendo removed support for some instructions while trimming the transistor count for the final silicon. As the V5 dev-kits apparently started shipping to devs shortly after with production hardware, it does seem to be the case that there's a difference in the CPU compared to previous dev-kits. It's likely to be quite minor at this stage, but it's possible that they were working to get the compiler working better with the new CPUs, or even that the reduction in transistor count allowed them to hit higher clock speeds than they were expecting before.

Terrell

It would violate USB specification if it could not deliver power; is that not the case?

though I guess they could reuse their DVD/BD strategy and just call it "Nintendo Serial Bus" ;)
A 2.5" external can usually be powered entirely by USB, depending on the drive's RPMs. A 3.5" external almost always requires an extra power connection, either occupying 2 USB ports or 1 port and a power cable (which is more common).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Don't like your process, it's borderline defamatory (like i forced you to write that ? lol), and you promised weeks before the E3, without me even being involved, to recognize you were wrong for basically accusing me of being a fraud in a total of 15 messages since 4 months, if the show confirmed my info. Tons of people doubted me and i didn't have any problem with that and just didn't answer to them, but you, it was to another level, like 3 or 4 others, like an obsession (and it didn't disappear i see).

For the conference, i stressed many times that i was not aware of first-party matters, so i couldn't knew Nintendo would keep so much content for later. And it's a question of perspective, i wouldn't consider the launch window presented during E3 as disappointing. About taking credit, it doesn't concern Miiverse, the amount of OS memory reserved could have hinted at that, but i didn't know the specific of this background application that took so much.

For the info, the list made earlier speak for itself, a lot of data wasn't heard before.

But well, this argument isn't very interesting and redundant, i guess we'll never be friends (lol), /sob

Wow IM. It's not that serious. I've only posted stuff for people to discuss and didn't care if it was doubted because a person had the right to do so. I couldn't care less about needing an apology from someone doubting if something I passed along turned out true.

The same for me bg. Except for the few "cases" who followed me and accused me in not respectful manners of being a fraud from speculation thread 2 to thread 6. Dunno how you would react if confronted to such behavior.

AzaK

No they wouldn't. They'd look pretty much the same. In fact, since the image is being resized by a non-integral multiplier, the picture would look worse than it normally would.

First we'd get AA and filtering. Second, they could upscale (Render at a higher resolution) to a multiple and leave it at that with pillar and letterbox around the sides and top. This would help for those cases where the games are 2d and we want pixel perfect scaling.

Remember a while back wsippel found out that the latest version of the compiler for the Wii U broke compatibility with older libraries? As I pointed out at the time, this could happen if IBM and Nintendo removed support for some instructions while trimming the transistor count for the final silicon. As the V5 dev-kits apparently started shipping to devs shortly after with production hardware, it does seem to be the case that there's a difference in the CPU compared to previous dev-kits. It's likely to be quite minor at this stage, but it's possible that they were working to get the compiler working better with the new CPUs, or even that the reduction in transistor count allowed them to hit higher clock speeds than they were expecting before.

Completely forgot about that. Looking back at the time frame would suggest this happened about three months after the fifth kit originally came out and about a month to a month and a half before they started going out to the masses.

It would definitely suggest Nintendo made sure to address the CPU problem.

MDX

I dont know, but if recent rumors are pretty close
to what the consoles will end up being, they dont seem too far apart
from each other:

CPU
WiiU IBM 3
Xb3 AMD 6-8 (2 - 4 could be reserved for Kinect)
PS4 AMD 4

GPU
WiiU AMD 600 - 800 g-flops
Xb3 AMD 1-1.2 t-flops
PS4 AMD 1.8 t-flops

RAM
WiiU 2GB
Xb3 4GB
PS4 2GB

If Nintendo capitalizes on their year headstart,
they might end up being in the driver's seat.
But anything can happen.

BlackJace

from each other:

CPU
WiiU IBM 3
PS4 AMD 4

GPU
Xb3 AMD 1-1.2 t-flops
PS4 AMD 1.8 t-flops

RAM
WiiU 2GB
Xb3 4GB
PS4 2GB

But anything can happen.

I think the new rumors for the XB3 suggest 8GBs

from each other:

CPU
WiiU IBM 3
PS4 AMD 4

GPU
Xb3 AMD 1-1.2 t-flops
PS4 AMD 1.8 t-flops

RAM
WiiU 2GB
Xb3 4GB
PS4 2GB

But anything can happen.

Seem like your looking at best case scenario just for the Wii U and not the rest. There is nothing indicating there is 2gb ram except for speculation (even Iherre scoffed at that) and 600-800 gflops is just as probable as the it being 1.5 of the 360 gpu. Also there are rumors that ms bumped up their ram to 6-8gb.

Rösti;39000073 said:
From a GameSpot interview with Scott Moffitt:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-message-confusing-nintendo-6383049

I was hoping to avoid reverse engineering as the only option to know the specs of the console. Of course, there will be plenty of sites that will take the machine apart, but the amount of information coming from such laboratory studies is usually not enough in my opinion; well that goes for reports published online at least.

Time to start saving for two consoles I guess. Unless I can get something from NOA Rob later this week. Remember to post any questions you may have.

It would be awesome if you could ask him if Virtual Console games can be streamed to and played on the Gamepad.

Edit: I just wanna say, please, please, PLEASE ask him this, it would be an amazing confirmation. =)

AzaK

Completely forgot about that. Looking back at the time frame would suggest this happened about three months after the fifth kit originally came out and about a month to a month and a half before they started going out to the masses.

It would definitely suggest Nintendo made sure to address the CPU problem.

But we don't know if the CPU got better, worse or if it was some other adjustment right?

BD1

Banned
Wtf is up with that Gamespot interview? Did they really say "I think its 1080p"? Bad interview

Guess NCL left Moffit in the dark :lol

For a guy whose been with the company for over a year, he comes across as woefully unknowledgable. Forgetting his awful presentation skills, some of the comments he's made make him seem like Johnny come lately and not the SVP of a billion dollar company.

Instro

Seem like your looking at best case scenario just for the Wii U and not the rest. There is nothing indicating there is 2gb ram except for speculation (even Iherre scoffed at that) and 600-800 gflops is just as probable as the it being 1.5 of the 360 gpu. Also there are rumors that ms bumped up their ram to 6-8gb.

Could be wrong here, but I thought he was leaning towards that amount as well?

USC-fan

Banned
from each other:

CPU
WiiU IBM 3
PS4 AMD 4

GPU

Xb3 AMD 1-1.2 t-flops
PS4 AMD 1.8 t-flops

RAM
WiiU 2GB
Xb3 4GB
PS4 2GB

But anything can happen.
At this point I would be shocked if the wiiu is anywhere close to this. I highly doubt its over 500 gflops.

I have been researching the r700 class gpus and it would just take way too much power to pull that off. Really around 350-450 gflop made be the max. Glfops is really a bad measure of performance anyway, so i wouldnt worry about that..... then the ram they will likely be using ddr3 while ms and sony are using gddr4-5 or ddr4.

Like i said any time before the wiiu will be the most powerful console this gen. What the future holds for ms and sony can change alot....

Rösti;39000073 said:

I was hoping to avoid reverse engineering as the only option to know the specs of the console. Of course, there will be plenty of sites that will take the machine apart, but the amount of information coming from such laboratory studies is usually not enough in my opinion; well that goes for reports published online at least.

Time to start saving for two consoles I guess. Unless I can get something from NOA Rob later this week. Remember to post any questions you may have.

Rob who? Doesn't ring a bell.

Definitely ask for a clarification on the 1st-party games being in 720p vs 1080p bit.

And ask about analog triggers for the hell of it.

It's Nintendo.™

Sorry, I'm too jaded. :( They might have decided at the last minute to save some money, or that they wanted GC clock compatibility :)

LOL. I think I mentioned this in the first thread, but Nintendo has an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But once they realize something is broke they will fix it. And that seems to be the case with the CPU.

At this point I would be shocked if the wiiu is anywhere close to this. I highly doubt its over 500 gflops.

I have been researching the r700 class gpus and it would just take way too much power to pull that off. Really around 350-450 gflop made be the max. Glfops is really a bad measure of performance anyway, so i wouldnt worry about that..... then the ram they will likely be using ddr3 while ms and sony are using gddr4-5 or ddr4.

Like i said any time before the wiiu will be the most powerful console this gen. What the future holds for ms and sony can change alot....

Crap, he found us!

Could be wrong here, but I thought he was leaning towards that amount as well?

No, he never did. I vaguely remember there were discussions in one of the earlier speculation thread about the ram and Iherre said "2-3gb? lol" or something to that affect.

Run, NOW!

Dude. Like seriously.....Wii U won't be the most powerful and its time to stop caring bout that

Bagu

No, he never did. I vaguely remember there were discussions in one of the earlier speculation thread about the ram and Iherre said "2-3gb? lol" or something to that affect.
I recall him going "3GB what!?" when that amount was mentioned, but never commenting on 2.

AzaK

LOL. I think I mentioned this in the first thread, but Nintendo is has an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But once they realize something is broke they will fix it. And that seems to be the case with the CPU.
Well I certainly hope so! Now all I need is Tomb Raider and GTA V and I'm set :)

Touch

I just watched some of the e3 show floor demo videos of AC3. Yeah, it looks "current gen" and all, but damn it's going to take some time for me to get use to it. This HD Nintendo shit is going to be magical.

Terrell

Yeah, the trailer they showed at the press conference was littered with shadowing from both objects and Miis. And the lighting was... well, it was THERE. In a game featuring Miis, where very few people who intend to play it are likely to care. As with most Nintendo games, it's all about the small little touches.

Speaking of little touches, on top of actual proper bending limbs.... is that one Mii character wearing a bow tie? Does anyone remember being about to outfit a Mii with a bow tie?!

PLEASE, someone answer this. It could give us something to *gasp* SPECULATE about other than the continued hardware speculation parade.

Personally that's just so much bullshit. Why not talk specs to an enthusiast site? They are the sites of consumers who want to know. Sure, no point talking specs if you're at a Wii U Experience kiosk but elsewhere why not. Sooner or later people will find out and discusss it. They're probably just scared that if the specs got out early, we could lambast them and that would affect sales.

Yeah, releasing realistic performance metrics and GameCube specs really stopped the parade of people who thought that system was an underpowered mess. The shit they got from the gaming community back then has permanently soured them from releasing them. So gamers can bitch about it all they want, but gamers are the ones to blame for Nintendo's hesitation to release specs.

Hardware knowledge is a funny thing: everyone considers themselves an expert, yet so few actually are. So hardware specs are, even when announced, open to WILDLY different interpretations. GAF may be able to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to hardware analysis and the conclusions drawn from it (SOME of the time, anyways), but Nintendo has more than GAF to worry about.

Rösti;39000073 said:

Ask about whether Miiverse/Nintendo Network hooks up to Twitter and Facebook in any meaningful way. Like, I'm thinking Facebook timeline app that shows your current Mii, what you're playing, your current achievements, let you auto-add friends based on who already linked their NiN account to their profiles, etc.

jacksrb

I just watched some of the e3 show floor demo videos of AC3. Yeah, it looks "current gen" and all, but damn it's going to take some time for me to get use to it. This HD Nintendo shit is going to be magical.

Right there with you. Have only had a Wii this generation (not enough time) - and am ready to make the leap.

AzaK

Yeah, releasing realistic performance metrics and GameCube specs really stopped the parade of people who thought that system was an underpowered mess. The shit they got from the gaming community back then has permanently soured them from releasing them. So gamers can bitch about it all they want, but gamers are the ones to blame for Nintendo's hesitation to release specs.

All I'm saying is why be scared about it? It is definitely a console that's more powerful than 360/PS3 so that can only work in their favour. I just don't see any possible negative outcome from releasing them.

If the thing is underpowered and can barely run current gen HD games (As everything we've seen suggests, even though we know it's not true), websites are still going to use that as ammo to underplay the system. Giving them obviously better specs and info is only a plus.

Basically, I call bullshit on their reasoning that's all.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
For everyone that has yet to have hands-on with the Wii-U, will you actively seek out a chance to play with the WiiU before launch, or are you going to hold off on any hands-on experience with the system (unless you stumble upon a demo kiosk in Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.) until you actually buy one for yourself?

I was holding off on the 3DS until I stumbled upon one at a Best Buy around two weeks before launch, and I kind of wished I would of saved the 3D effect/wow moment for launch. But, I'm probably going to actively seek out the WiiU (assuming Nintendo has a mall tour) just because.... damn it's still a long ass wait!

Touch

For everyone that has yet to have hands-on with the Wii-U, will you actively seek out a chance to play with the WiiU before launch, or are you going to hold off on any hands-on experience with the system (unless you stumble upon a demo kiosk in Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.) until you actually buy one for yourself?

I was holding off on the 3DS until I stumbled upon one at a Best Buy around two weeks before launch, and I kind of wished I would of saved the 3D effect/wow moment for launch. But, I'm probably going to actively seek out the WiiU (assuming Nintendo has a mall tour) just because.... damn it's still a long ass wait!
If I see a demo at a store I will surely try it out. I'm not going to go out of my way to play it before launch though. I'll mostly likely just end up playing it at launch night demo set ups.

Terrell

All I'm saying is why be scared about it? It is definitely a console that's more powerful than 360/PS3 so that can only work in their favour. I just don't see any possible negative outcome from releasing them.

GameCube was definitely more powerful than PS2. Didn't stop people shitting all over those specs, some even AFTER seeing quantifiable real-world results. And a negative interpretation of specs colored purchasing opinions worse than any sub-par launch title ever could.

StevieP

Banned

It should be around there

Sony is using a high-bandwidth unified memory in their current spec sheet. MS is not. The assasin can vouch for this one.

No, the Wii U is the weakest 8th generation console.

Wait, so this curious CPU is tentative now? Fill me in? :3

The problems with the CPU had been up to the fourth kit. We know the fifth kit went through extended adjustments, and in retrospect they may have fixed the CPU issue(s) based on info wsippel mentioned back in April. Those reworked fifth kits with whatever CPU fix that occurred have just really gone out to devs in the last few weeks. Don't know how much that will help current ports though.

USC-fan

Banned
It should be around there
Around where? 600-800? lol How do you get there? what r700 gpu gets you close to that? Maybe a 90-100watt TDP card but that will never make it into a console this size. Really doing other wuu fans a disservice with these sky high specs that the console will never live up to.

Sony is using a high-bandwidth unified memory in their current spec sheet. MS is not. The assasin can vouch for this one.

The leak specs shows ddr4 for ms with edram.

No, the Wii U is the weakest 8th generation console.
Doesnt really matter. It either the most powerful current gen or weakest next gen. Not that it matters since these consoles wont be on the market for 1-2 years.

I'm more of a glass full type guy so i say most powerful current gen. For all we know there may not be a next gen. Just cloud consoles.... lol. Wouldnt that be funny. Wuu the most powerful console ever released. All the crying over specs dont matter.

bachikarn

That's also possibly because they were going off of target specs that Nintendo scrapped.

What were the initial target specs for the Wii? Do you have a link? I've heard people recently say in passing that Nintendo originally wanted the Wii to be stronger, but haven't seen any actual evidence online that was the case.

AzaK

We don't get much like that here in NZ, but as it gets close I'm sure there will be demo kiosks in stores and I'll go check them out for sure.

GameCube was definitely more powerful than PS2. Didn't stop people shitting all over those specs, some even AFTER seeing quantifiable real-world results. And a negative interpretation of specs colored purchasing opinions worse than any sub-par launch title ever could.

Sure, but now we have games that look pretty average being shown on the thing. I think that will do just as much damage. Hence releasing the specs will at least counter that to some degree because I generally think they're favourable. I wouldn't release specs if the 720 or PS4 was just about to come out, but they have a year on that.

StevieP

Banned
Around where? 600-800? lol How do you get there? what r700 gpu gets you close to that? Maybe a 90-100watt TDP card but that will never make it into a console this size. Really doing other wuu fans a disservice with these sky high specs that the console will never live up to.

Nowhere near 800. Look at what I quoted.

The leak specs shows ddr4 for ms with edram.

The memory that's in the kits now is not DDR4.

Doesnt really matter. It either the most powerful current gen or weakest next gen. Not that it matters since these consoles wont be on the market for 1-2 years.

I can't believe people are still doing this song and dance. :( It's an 8th generation console. It's going to be the weakest member of the 8th generation, just as the Wii was the weakest member of the 7th.

I'm more of a glass full type guy so i say most powerful current gen. For all we know there may not be a next gen. Just cloud consoles.... lol. Wouldnt that be funny. Wuu the most powerful console ever released. All the crying over specs dont matter.

Cloud's not ready yet. That's why there's at least 1 more generation of these things. Let's come back to this post in about 5-6 years when the successors to this round are announced.

First we'd get AA and filtering. Second, they could upscale (Render at a higher resolution) to a multiple and leave it at that with pillar and letterbox around the sides and top. This would help for those cases where the games are 2d and we want pixel perfect scaling.

"upscale" and "Render at a higher resolution" are two different concepts. It's like saying "He could walk (teleport between locations) to the store". :p

…wuu…Wuu…

The hell is a "wuu"?

They were obviously just a rumor, but this site lists five. Rumor 1 is the only one I remember being thrown around.

http://members.shaw.ca/judicus/Revolution-rumored-specs.html

Those were just rumours about what the hardware would be, and they turned out wrong. They weren't rumours that Nintendo had a faster design in mind then backtracked, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom