• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The part about the PS4/Xbox 720 being servers for your handhelds is the same thing I been thinking & I think it's going to be the biggest part of next gen also add the glasses & watch to the list of things that will be using the consoles as severs.

Playing MGS via remote play OT me thinking about this. If you planned it upfront, you could reserve enough CPU/GPU to compress the video output and stream it to a Vita or tablet, so all ps4/720 games could be remote played.

StevieP

Banned
Playing MGS via remote play OT me thinking about this. If you planned it upfront, you could reserve enough CPU/GPU to compress the video output and stream it to a Vita or tablet, so all ps4/720 games could be remote played.

There is still latency involved when you're talking about connecting a console and handheld via TCP/IP (802.11)

onQ123

PS4%2520Devket%2520specs%2520.jpg

see where it says Extra Hardware

KageMaru

Whether you believe him or not, the least you can do is read.

Wait what? I did read his post. I openly admit I dismissed the emulation part because it's not happening.

The least he could do is type a normal post that isn't convoluted and riddled with bolded lines and links.

i-Lo

I wondered the same thing & if it was meant to say it was less with the '>' ?

That's what I was think as well. Otherwise, PS4 would have a terrible design since being embedded should yield greater savings on latency.

I'm still waiting for Proelite to divulge something new.

Wait what? I did read his post. I openly admit I dismissed the emulation part because it's not happening.

The least he could do is type a normal post that isn't convoluted and riddled with bolded lines and links.

What he posts are completely coherent. Whether you believe it or not is something else.

i-Lo

put 4 GB and I am happy.

Question is, will they though? I think it makes sense for the sake of multiplat parity and the fact that being one of the better divisions of Sony, it's best to invest in it given they are going to drag this tech for the next 6-8 years.

That early spec sheet look good , up it to 4gb and most people should be happy.
We will get some nice games with that in a close box but like others said the ">50% longer memory latency for CPU/GPU than PC make little sense .

Even though this is still a rumour, what's with the ">50% longer memory latency for CPU/GPU than PC"?

If it is real, the !!! are provably used to mark that you(the intended reader) should pay attention to that problem. Unified memory systems usually have higher latency, it wasn't a big deal for the XBox 360 so I wouldn't worry too much if it's true.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No Sony hardware is going to be using DirectX, do people not understand what DX actually is?
First and foremost its an abstraction layer used to unify access across multiple hardware types. on a fixed platform like a console... not needed.

They'll just add PSGL extensions to cover the additional functionality.

Also, the misuse of ">" is very suspect.

onQ123

That's what I was think as well. Otherwise, PS4 would have a terrible design since being embedded should yield greater savings on latency.

I'm still waiting for Proelite to divulge something new.

torch+mob.jpg

I think it's time to go looking for him.

Erasus

No Sony hardware is going to be using DirectX, do people not understand what DX actually is?
First and foremost its an abstraction layer used to unify access across multiple hardware types. on a fixed platform like a console... not needed.

They'll just add PSGL extensions to cover the additional functionality.

Also, the misuse of ">" is very suspect.

The DX version number is used to give an impression of the features the card will have/has.

And yes, Sony uses a version of opengl

Also funny how I am sitting on a four core x86 AMD CPU at 3.2GHZ, phenom 2 x4 955. But I think they mean Bulldozer and beyond architechture.

StevieP

Banned
The DX version number is used to give an impression of the features the card will have/has.

And yes, Sony uses a version of opengl

Also funny how I am sitting on a four core x86 AMD CPU at 3.2GHZ, phenom 2 x4 955. But I think they mean Bulldozer and beyond architechture.

Either Steamroller or Jaguar, depending on which direction the system is going now.

BD 50 ... hmmm ... not sure I like that.

Given it's a 6 or 8x, it would be smart to use BDXL for future 4k support.
It's bogus
As you said 4 layer blu-ray drive will be in the PS4 for 4K. That it's not listed = bogus
DX bogus, latency bogus, No fast coherent L3 cache 60 meg or larger. GPUs and cheap branching bogus, CPUs branch easily, GPUs have a high setup latency so branching is expensive BOGUS!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU said:
Recent GPUs allow branching, but usually with a performance penalty.

onQ123

It's bogus
As you said 4 layer blu-ray drive will be in the PS4 for 4K. That it's not listed = bogus
DX bogus, latency bogus, No fast coherent L3 cache 60 meg or larger. GPUs and cheap branching bogus, CPUs branch easily, GPUs have a high setup latency so branching is expensive BOGUS!

it says they are the 1st specs & not the final specs.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It can handle 720p, just not 720p with MSAA (that can still be handled through tiling, and considering how many games are 720p with AA on the 360, and less than that on PS3, it seems to be a decent compromise), and the only problem is that there's not enough of it.

You couldn't be more wrong on that, the 360 would be choked without it. As expensive as the eDRAM in the 360 was, it was still financially preferable to the alternative solutions, otherwise it wouldn't be there in the first place.

Streaming has become so popular precisely because there's not enough memory in current gen machines. Change that and the need to stream in data lessens.

The preferable solution is to have split banks of memory like what's featured in the PS3 and PC.

It's bogus

It's not bogus.

380 GB HDD? Where can you buy this lol? This seems like a completely random number, when there are mostly 160GB, 320 GB and 500GB drives around. Sony will not use a special design for their hdd, they will use a hdd which is widespread and cheap. And DX 11.5? Sony does not use DX. Regarding the Blu-ray drive: It is possible that early dev kits only have 50 GB Blu-ray drives. But the PS4 will almost certainly have a BD XL drive. They are cheap. You can get a BD XL drive right now for $100. They will be much cheaper in 2013.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Like onQ123 said, they're the early target specs. They've been out since last year.

Nice, those specs look pretty good. I think most people would be pretty satisfied with those specs + 4GB high speed RAM, or 2 GB high speed RAM + 4 GB lower speed RAM.

It appears that the only lacking area of the PS4 right now is RAM, and that's still TBD.

onQ123

Gemüsepizza;39311065 said:
380 GB HDD? Where can you buy this lol? This seems like a completely random number, when there are mostly 160GB, 320 GB and 500GB drives around. Sony will not use a special design for their hdd, they will use a hdd which is widespread and cheap. And DX 11.5? Sony does not use DX. Regarding the Blu-ray drive: It is possible that early dev kits only have 50 GB Blu-ray drives. But the PS4 will almost certainly have a BD XL drive. They are cheap. You can get a BD XL drive right now for $100. They will be much cheaper in 2013.

it says 'at least 380 GB , DX 11.5 is just used to let the devs know what level of DX the GPU is & I'm guessing the same thing as you about the Blu-ray drive.

Nice, those specs look pretty good. I think most people would be pretty satisfied with those specs + 4GB high speed RAM, or 2 GB high speed RAM + 4 GB lower speed RAM.

It appears that the only lacking area of the PS4 right now is RAM, and that's still TBD.

What I'm hoping is that these specs were planned before ms decided to bump up their ram. If that ms leak doc is correct and ms planned to go with 4gb ddr4 a while back and increased it now to 6-8 or more, Sony hopefully will at least increase it their ram to 4 or more.

I get the feeling they are set on sticking to a unified pool so they don't have to deal with two busses.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
What I'm hoping is that these specs were planned before ms decided to bump up their ram. If that ms leak doc is correct and ms planned to go with 4gb ddr4 a while back and increased it now to 6-8 or more, Sony hopefully will at least increase it their ram to 4 or more.

Yeah I can't imagine a situation where Sony wouldn't counter. Especially when they're receiving feedback from devs working on the 720 that has more RAM (if this is the case).

They may not put as much RAM as Microsoft intends to, but I think they will at least get to 4 GB.

It'll be interesting to see what ends up being the better move, if there is 4 GB of DDR5 for Sony while MS has 8 GB of DDR3. I suspect the former would be better for graphics, while the latter would allow for more multitasking/social features.

onQ123

I can't even begin to imagine what some of the 1st party devs at Sony can do with 10X the power of the PS3.

unless the Cell is really that magical & helped with the graphics that much that ND & PD won't be able to reach 10X the graphics of The Last of Us & GT5 without it there is going to be some amazing looking games coming out on the PS4 if they reach that 10X the PS3 goal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah I can't imagine a situation where Sony wouldn't counter. Especially when they're receiving feedback from devs working on the 720 that has more RAM (if this is the case).

They may not put as much RAM as Microsoft intends to, but I think they will at least get to 4 GB.

It'll be interesting to see what ends up being the better move, if there is 4 GB of DDR5 for Sony while MS has 8 GB of DDR3. I suspect the former would be better for graphics, while the latter would allow for more multitasking/social features.

Pretty much what I expect to happen. That scenario for both companies seems to be closely in line their strategies.

Possible placeholder parts?...well... likely?

ERP, a (former?) developer and mod on B3D, made a recent post explaining this.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1653227&postcount=12899

You guys read way to much into early devkits, they're an indicator of the general architecture and very rough performance (sometimes), and not very much else.
Before devkits with real silicon are available, usually less than 12 months before launch, devkits are there to let developers play with the new feature sets and the core OS API's, often with very different performance profiles.
Specs usually are "locked" and I use the term loosely down 2+ years before a product launches. That's not to say they don't "evolve" as process issues arrise, or partners deadlines slip, or information about a competitors platform leak, but you rarely see wholesale changes.
The 360 devkits had 2 different video cards, neither of which were very much like the final hardware, but with the exception of the late memory size change, disclosed developers knew what was in the final box before the first devkit even shipped.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There will be a separate ssd for that.

Quick question, if there is an SSD for the OS would devs also be able to use that for caching? I'm hoping the OS is quick and has as little of an impact on game performance as possible, especially in regards to RAM.

StevieP

Banned
Yeah, I don't want stop gaps. Anything less than DX 12 is a no buy from me.

Dear lord. You'll get DX 11.1 and you'll like it. lol
Because that's all there is.

Edit: phew! haha
Hard to tell on this forum sometimes. lol

RoboPlato said:
Does DX12 even exist?

It's not even close to a gleam in the eye of Microsoft at this point. They're launching 11.1 with Win 8.

DDR3=slow as shit and terrible for graphics. GDDR5=much faster and allows much greater graphical capabilities. you only see DDR3 on cheap discount low low end GPUs.

of course, perhaps sony are cheaping out and going with DDR3. but 2GB GDDR5 is infinitely preferable to say 8GB DDR3, which isn't better for anything in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom