• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
KyoAni disagrees.

ahM6V.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first one is really more about the nature of individual identity, memory, and all that jazz, but it deals with it via the popular 80s/90s topic the convergence of humanity & technology. The second is much more specifically about what constitutes personhood (e.g. humanity) and how we imprint that upon certain vessels (children, robots, basset hounds - no, I'm not making this up.) Regarding the Major, (fairly mild spoils if you care)
the 2nd movie deals with what happens to her, but her story was essentially finished with the first movie. Her character pretty much becomes exactly what the end of GitS suggests

Innocence is all Batou and his absurdly well-animated dog. And the other guy with the mullet.

Different directors, totally different focus. Oshii did do a lot of work on the second season of Stand Alone Complex, though. (Maybe that's why it's better!)

It's gotta be a better way to spend your time than watching Sword Art Online, at the very least!

I can see why some would say Innocence might be a bit more ponderous and abstract anyway. lol
I guess I can check out the second movie sometime sooner rather than later.

And you know, the sad thing about SAO is that it's not even fun to #hatewatch anymore because it's slowly becoming the normal kind of bad. lol
(At least it has the same gender politics as a Sorkin show!)

Jex

I just assumed they'd be similar, being based on the same source material and all... but that makes sense. lol

And, as I'm sure you aware, the source material differs from both the TV series and the Movies because it contains more lesbian sex scenes featuring the Major. Masume Shirow is classy like that.

Narag

Leaving aside questions of dead cats, for the moment, rape is obviously a very sensitive subject. You argue that 'there wasn't a need to throw rape on top of that' but I disagree. Rape and war have been tied together for thousands of years, even if it's rare to see a story cover that subject. It's not some grimdark trope, it's an extremely prevalent problem. I don't see why they would want to shy away from that aspect of being in a group of soldiers when it's an extremely common occurrence.

Rape is an actual thing that happens in war, though. You can't really have a show about the horrors of war and not acknowledge that.

That's a fair point and perhaps I should rephrase my complaint. Maybe it's more of a presentation issue I have a problem with as the various terrible events felt like it was just escalation from the previous. Animal abuse->child abuse->rape->whatever else I'd forgotten. If the intent was to make me hate the situation as much as the main character, the job was done well and I reacted accordingly. It certainly affected me enough to cause me to take issue with it all however long after the fact.

And you know, the sad thing about SAO is that it's not even fun to #hatewatch anymore because it's slowly becoming the normal kind of bad. lol
(At least it has the same gender politics as a Sorkin show!)
I thought you'd like Kirito's "Strength is just an illusion here" line. They're trying to meet you halfway, firehawk!

Branduil

That's a fair point and perhaps I should rephrase my complaint. Maybe it's more of a presentation issue I have a problem with as the various terrible events felt like it was just escalation from the previous. Animal abuse->child abuse->rape->whatever else I'd forgotten. If the intent was to make me hate the situation as much as the main character, the job was done well and I reacted accordingly. It certainly affected me enough to cause me to take issue with it all however long after the fact.

Well part of the purpose of the show is to contrast Shu's relentless optimism with the harsh reality of the world. It's kind of like the Madoka of hot-blooded shounen shows.

Jex

Accel World - Episode 16

If they just kept the entire show in the game world, it would be a pretty solid shounen action show. Too bad they're obliged to adapt all the crappy real world stuff as well. Can't wait to see Silver Crow fuck shit up again next week. But judging from the preview, there are going to be dangerous real world scenes I need to skip in the next episode. Aaaaaaah. Lol.

So you're a full convert now, in that you're going to watch it every week?

Leaving aside questions of dead cats, for the moment, rape is obviously a very sensitive subject. You argue that 'there wasn't a need to throw rape on top of that' but I disagree. Rape and war have been tied together for thousands of years, even if it's rare to see a story cover that subject. It's not some grimdark trope, it's an extremely prevalent problem. I don't see why they would want to shy away from that aspect of being in a group of soldiers when it's an extremely common occurrence.

This sounds like how I defended Elfen Lied.

You liked it? I'm sort of.... shocked? I don't know what word to use. Fuck it.

And you like Pandora Hearts. We all have our vices. Of course I don't consider it a vice because I think it's legitimately good. Would have been in my top 10 last year if the first half was as good as the 2nd half.

duckroll

So you're a full convert now, in that you're going to watch it every week?

If there's something significant happening in the game world every week, sure. I didn't watch ep13-14, but I watched parts of 15, and all of 16. It's all about how much game world there is, and right now it's kinda heavy!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
And you like Pandora Hearts. We all have our vices. Of course I don't consider it a vice because I think it's legitimately good. Would have been in my top 10 last year if the first half was as good as the 2nd half.

Well, I'm not shocked that we have differing perspectives. I'm more shocked that you liked it cuz I haven't met many people who actually liked the show.

Jex

This sounds like how I defended Elfen Lied.

In NTHT the theme of the work, which I suppose might be the horrors of war, ties smoothly into the characters, their actions, the story as a whole and the tone of the work.

In Elfen Lied the theme of the work, which I suppose might be the nature of humanity, ties into lolis walking around naked killing each other and occasionally urinating. It's crass and exploitative.

If there's something significant happening in the game world every week, sure. I didn't watch ep13-14, but I watched parts of 15, and all of 16. It's all about how much game world there is, and right now it's kinda heavy!

Ep 13 is pretty damn significant. Introduces a new mechanic.

Well, I'm not shocked that we have differing perspectives. I'm more shocked that you liked it cuz I haven't met many people who actually liked the show.

It seems to be well rated in other places *cue animegaf scoffing at them because we're so much better than everyone else, amirite?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ep 13 is pretty damn significant. Introduces a new mechanic.

It seems to be well rated in other places *cue animegaf scoffing at them because we're so much better than everyone else, amirite?

Hm... I guess I should talk to more people/visit more sites. I found the story fairly lackluster and the MC very annoying. Much like I do with Haru in AW.

In NTHT the theme of the work, which I suppose might be the horrors of war, ties smoothly into the characters, their actions, the story as a whole and the tone of the work.

In Elfen Lied the theme of the work, which I suppose might be the nature of humanity, ties into lolis walking around naked killing each other and occasionally urinating.

In NTHT, the theme of the work is one contrivance after another.

In Elfen Lied, the theme of the work, the nature of humanity, ties into coping with loss, a display of innocence vs a harsh reality, and the juxtaposition of harmless appearances with incredibly dangerous, mentally unstable humanoid weapons of mass destruction.

cajunator

Banned
I fixed that post for you.

Harsh but true.

In Elfen Lied the theme of the work, which I suppose might be the nature of humanity, ties into lolis walking around naked killing each other and occasionally urinating. It's crass and exploitative.

Both shows are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom