• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

SmithnCo

I'm getting slightly annoyed about the fact that even the weakest swipe will knock my FP out of her level 1 super, while on the other hand i have thrown everything at Kratos or Sweet Tooth to interupt their level 1 supers, including attacks that normally cause hitstun or knockback, and they just shrug it off like it's nothing and procede to kill me. I'm not an fighting game expert, but shouldn't it be possible to interrupt their supers like they do with mine?

That irks me too. There's also the fact that FP's super stops before hitting a wall, wheras Sly's has huge splash damage. It's impossible to hit people if they are up against a wall with FP's level 1. I was on a level above his in Hades and Sly's 1 still hit me.

More and more, FP's level 1 seems like a poor man's Sly level 1. Parappa's is the only one that I think might be less guaranteed.

That irks me too. There's also the fact that FP's super stops before hitting a wall, wheras Sly's has huge splash damage. It's impossible to hit people if they are up against a wall with FP's level 1. I was on a level above his in Hades and Sly's 1 still hit me.

More and more, FP's level 1 seems like a poor man's Sly level 1. Parappa's is the only one that I think might be less guaranteed.

I dunno, man. I'm pretty sure I engraved the phrase "Kick Punch! It's all in the mind!" into the nightmares of the multiple people on whom I've gotten 8 kills with Parappa's Level 1.

SmithnCo

I dunno, man. I'm pretty sure I engraved the phrase "Kick Punch! It's all in the mind!" into the nightmares of the multiple people on whom I've gotten 8 kills with Parappa's Level 1.

His is at least faster, yeah. Has less range and can be escaped by a roll in either direction though, whereas if you're lucky you could get a someone with FP's even if they try to roll.

The slow speed, and the wall thing are what kill FP's level 1. You pretty much have to hope to pick off a few people from a very close group or get someone who is being combo'd by someone else.

All right I have played around with every character here are my impressions of each. Been writing these down as i played for the last week. Some other time I am going to give map impressions.

Fat Princess Personal Fave

Pros

• Great at chaining combos, especially juggling.
  • Has a few attacks that hit all around her for multiple hits.
  • Belly Dash allows for great mobility around the map
  • Can rain death from above with bombs and a very effective but stomp that can be used to lead into a combo. Also the Warrior attack out of the air can be chained into a combo.
  • Level 1 &2 Supers if timed right can get multi kills
  • Throw swings opponent around and can hit others around you
Cons

• Outside of the Belly Dash mobility isn't great.
  • Is a character that will require patience and blocking to be effective
  • Lacks range in attacks
  • Most attacks will throw enemies into air so ground and pound players will have to adjust.
  • Have to work for your AP, slightly slow gainer (heh heh).

Parappa the Rappa

Pros

• Has great mobility, including several moves that can quickly get you around and attack.
  • Can generate AP even when not in the heat of battle, and in battle can rake in AP at a good rate.
  • Has strong square attacks on the ground and in air that immobilize enemies in a flurry of punches and kicks.
  • Has a grapple move that pulls enemy in and leaves them vulnerable for some kick punch action.
  • Level 2 Super can get 3 kills if timed right.
  • Level 3 Super is awesome and a guaranteed 3 kills.

Cons

• Can feel a bit limited because of the difficulty to create combos outside of the flurry attacks.
  • Lacks range, and most effective moves require you to be really close
  • Level 1 Super requires very good timing to pull off, and is hard to get multi kills.
  • Weak in the air, most air moves actually pull you back to the ground
  • Level 2 Super is a little short, adding frustration to a already difficult to land Level 1.

Sweet Tooth

Pros

• Can build meter QUICK
  • When using your Level one super it seems to build very quickly back up to Level 1 again, sometimes instantly.
  • Can trigger sometimes 5 or 6 level ones because they accumulate so fast.
  • Man likes his space and has moves to clear it.
  • Has the ability to juggle with his knockback and up attacks.

Cons

• Bit of a slow attacker and short ranged, making it hard to get in attacks in a busy area.
  • Level 1 and 2 supers are hard to get multi kills
  • More difficult to pick up and play as.
  • Combos for me seem to happen very chaotically. So character seems to work best by making chaos

Radec

Pros

• Great long range player with attacks that can land anywhere along the length of the map.
  • Has an effective short range combo to create space.
  • Grapple move saps a lot of AP from enemies.
  • Lv. 1 & 2 Supers are very effective on flatter surface maps.
  • Has a couple of effective aerial attacks that can lock players in the air.
  • Moves are very spammable and can be used to great effect when the right situation calls.
Cons

• Extremely limited mobility, lacks even a dash attack like the other characters have.
  • Up close most moves just aren't effective given because they take a long time to complete.
  • On uneven maps Lv. 1 & 2 Supers aren't that effective unless people line up.
  • When players bring the fight to you it is harder to overcome.

Kratos

Pros
  • Easy Combos that are lifted straight from God of War.
  • Great grapple attack that can also create some space.
  • All Supers are highly capable of multi kills.
  • Decent mobility, never difficult getting back to action.
  • Great mix of short, mid, long range, and aerial moves. Making Kratos one of the most complete characters.

Cons

• Not as capable knocking back characters.
  • Lacks a drop attack like bombs and mines.
  • Attacks coming out of the air back to ground are somewhat poor.
  • Supers require great timing and the level 3 can get you a lot of kills but doesn't guarantee a kill.

Sly Cooper

Pros

• Can turn invisible.
  • Can attack while invsible.
  • Great Mobility.
  • Every Super can land for 3 kills easily.
  • Can freeze enemies with alarm clock.
  • Has spammable attacks.
  • Can steal AP with normal attacks
  • Builds meter quick.

Cons

• Can't block
  • Lacks a long range attack

If redskinsrocks is here on gaf - I'm calling you out. You suck at sly and you make me sick. Fuck you, you shitty no skill 2 move using ugly fuck. This fucker used forward electric roll and the dive over. And over. Followed by that fuckass lvl one. Go suck a fuck redskinsrocks. Go suck.a.fuck.
*Sly rant*

SmithnCo

If redskinsrocks is here on gaf - I'm calling you out. You suck at sly and you make me sick. Fuck you, you shitty no skill 2 move using ugly fuck. This fucker used forward electric roll and the dive over. And over. Followed by that fuckass lvl one. Go suck a fuck redskinsrocks. Go suck.a.fuck.
*Sly rant*

HAPPY TO HELP

*Sly rant*

YOU ARE NO CHALLENGE AND NO FUN

KevinCow

Banned
I've been trying to use Sweet Tooth's level 3 more often, and it has this annoying glitch where it seems to think you're holding up or down the whole time, which makes the machine gun aim in that direction, which means you can't aim in the other direction. So I'm standing there, ready to fire my gun into everyone and wipe them all out, but I can't get the damn thing to aim up. I did a level 3 and got 0 kills.

I literally just put the controller down after that.

I've been trying to use Sweet Tooth's level 3 more often, and it has this annoying glitch where it seems to think you're holding up or down the whole time, which makes the machine gun aim in that direction, which means you can't aim in the other direction. So I'm standing there, ready to fire my gun into everyone and wipe them all out, but I can't get the damn thing to aim up. I did a level 3 and got 0 kills.

I literally just put the controller down after that.

It could be worse. GrimHeaper and I were in a match in which a Radec didn't even get one kill using his Level 3, and there were no glitches hindering him.

He deserved every last flipkick he got.

Zabuza

Banned
You guys are still playing the beta? I wish I found it as fun and addicting as you guys. I need more content to keep me playing, so betas aren't always my forte.

You guys are still playing the beta? I wish I found it as fun and addicting as you guys. I need more content to keep me playing, so betas aren't always my forte.

Try changing up your playstyle a bit. I've been doing nothing but taunting and screwing around as Sly in matches and I've been having fun. Keep in mind I didn't play for about a week, though.

Try playing as all of the characters. Everyone of them plays very differently. Although I see where you are coming from. I tend not to play betas for very long because I want the maps and characters of the beta to be exciting to play as when the full game launches. Instead of being like "SANDOVER!? SERIOUSLY!?"

So come Tuesday I am going to be playing a lot of Sound Shapes, and if there is a beta patch I will hop back on for a little bit.

*Sly rant*

Called out the same guy a couple pages ago haha

cyborg009

Banned
There's a big electrical storm where I am that's messing up my internet. People randomly warp away from perfectly-timed supers and it takes me 7 tries to find one match... -_-

GG, by the way.

I'm having issues now too lol

Florida is going get some crazy weather soon

tip: switch characters or restart the game

Gorillaz

It's starting to wear thin for me as well...It's mainly how the maps feel a little too safe. Then again im use to Smash Bros. Tho I would wish we could get some more interesting setup maps and of course a Final Destination-type map

tribal24

Banned
It's starting to wear thin for me as well...It's mainly how the maps feel a little too safe. Then again im use to Smash Bros. Tho I would wish we could get some more interesting setup maps and of course a Final Destination-type map

Same i stopped playing it, Just waiting for the final build.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As far as still playing the beta after a week, I exercise restraint.

I'll usually play 3-6 matches, then take a break for a few hours, or for the night. I try not to overdo it, and I have other games to play.

Then I'll come into this thread, read a bit, get excited, then go back in for a few more rounds. You can get burned out from your favorite game of all time if you are playing it for 5-6 hours a night for weeks straight.

I'm still loving the beta, even when it gets frustrating or I'm having an off day and getting schooled.

I have to really step up my game when fighting another Kratos though, I've been rocked by a really quality Kratos more than once (I can't remember the name, but I'm thinking it's MonkeeKing, I'm not sure, though).

cyborg009

Banned
As far as still playing the beta after a week, I exercise restraint.

I'll usually play 3-6 matches, then take a break for a few hours, or for the night. I try not to overdo it, and I have other games to play.

Then I'll come into this thread, read a bit, get excited, then go back in for a few more rounds. You can get burned out from your favorite game of all time if you are playing it for 5-6 hours a night for weeks straight.

I'm still loving the beta, even when it gets frustrating or I'm having an off day and getting schooled.

I have to really step up my game when fighting another Kratos though, I've been rocked by a really quality Kratos more than once (I can't remember the name, but I'm thinking it's MonkeeKing, I'm not sure, though).

I try to switch characters from time to time keeps me from being burnt out and its really interesting using someone else other than your main.

Boss Man

I'm still having a lot of fun with the beta, more and more actually- since I'm not much of a fighting game expert and I'm still learning a lot.

With only six characters, a few stages, and one (online only) mode, it says a lot that I'm still having so much fun.

This might be the fourth game this gen that I care enough about to platinum/100%.

evolution

Has anyone here played the other builds of the game. Like at trade shows. I don't remember seeing any of these glitches in videos. Curious how old the beta is.

Loudninja

Has anyone here played the other builds of the game. Like at trade shows. I don't remember seeing any of these glitches in videos. Curious how old the beta is.
Sometimes glitches juts pop up under different circumstances. I think its better we see silly glitches months before release than on launch day :p

The games at the events was local mutliplayer and not online multiplayer.

I try to switch characters from time to time keeps me from being burnt out and its really interesting using someone else other than your main.

I completely agree. I consider myself pretty good as far as beta players go, but man, I SUCK with Sweet Tooth haha. Does it make sense to love Radec and hate Sweet Tooth? Probably haha but I still like playing as him is the worst part.
Which brings up something I love about this game. The uniqueness of every character makes them fun to play as. If you need to go through and beat the "story" with each character I will have no problem with that

Gorillaz

Hope they add a few more "cartoonish" people Like the Parappa's. I feel there could be alot of charm if they balance the type of characters in the game.

cyborg009

Banned
I completely agree. I consider myself pretty good as far as beta players go, but man, I SUCK with Sweet Tooth haha. Does it make sense to love Radec and hate Sweet Tooth? Probably haha but I still like playing as him is the worst part.
Which brings up something I love about this game. The uniqueness of every character makes them fun to play as. If you need to go through and beat the "story" with each character I will have no problem with that

Sweet Tooth isn't too bad if you try him out a little more. I used land mines, shotgun, and elbow charge, they always send your opponents flying. His level 1 is pretty good if you can use it at the right time.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Safe map or not the Chop Chop's Dojo map is going to be nuts. 4 characters in that small space fighting is going to be awesome.

True, but I think 2v2 matches on that map will be more my thing. It gets a little annoying having 3 people gunning for you at all times.

FFA is fun, but a bit too chaotic. I feel this way about any brawler that has 4 people going at each other.

I'll probably spend the bulk of my PBR time playing single player, to be honest. I enjoy fighting bots than random players, but I'm having a lot of fun fighting against some of you guys (when I actually get into a match with fellow Gaffers).

Sweet Tooth isn't too bad if you try him out a little more. I used land mines, shotgun, and elbow charge, they always send your opponents flying. His level 1 is pretty good if you can use it at the right time.

Yeah I feel ya. Maybe I'm not awful, but just not the kind of character that suits my playstyle let's say.

Safe map or not the Chop Chop's Dojo map is going to be nuts. 4 characters in that small space fighting is going to be awesome.

This guy. I like this guy

KevinCow

Banned
The thing I really like about Sweet Tooth is that I've found a good use for every single one of his attacks. Some were pretty obviously great from the start, like the ground pound, charge, shotgun, and mines. But there were others that I tried out a few times and then though, "Man, that's kinda useless," like the throwing axe, the spinning chainsaw, the molotovs, and the fire breath. Then as I played more, I saw situations where all of those could be useful.

The thing I really like about Sweet Tooth is that I've found a good use for every single one of his attacks. Some were pretty obviously great from the start, like the ground pound, charge, shotgun, and mines. But there were others that I tried out a few times and then though, "Man, that's kinda useless," like the throwing axe, the spinning chainsaw, the molotovs, and the fire breath. Then as I played more, I saw situations where all of those could be useful.

When players are good at using the molotovs, that impresses me.

solidus51

Banned
After playing with a majority with FP she is a top tier beta character. she has alot of answers with attacks and she is like th falco of all-stars, she has the meanest juggles and can gain ap fast off of the juggles. you can also link her neutral triangle into her level 1. she has way more potential then any of the beta characters .

Been getting more time to play as Radec. One thing I've noticed is that his level 1 can be stopped if you hit him while he's targeting.

His grenade spam is untouchable and very awful when surrounded. Flamethrower is a waste and might be useful for combos.

Gorillaz

After playing with a majority with FP she is a top tier beta character. she has alot of answers with attacks and she is like th falco of all-stars, she has the meanest juggles and can gain ap fast off of the juggles. you can also link her neutral triangle into her level 1. she has way more potential then any of the beta characters .

I would say kratos has the best all around moveset but I gotta agree the first time I played as Fatty P she I realized how she is basically a combo machine.

solidus51

Banned
Been getting more time to play as Radec. One thing I've noticed is that his level 1 can be stopped if you hit him while he's targeting.

His grenade spam is untouchable and very awful when surrounded. Flamethrower is a waste and might be useful for combos.

hes terrible only probably good at 2v2

Try to really get in with that flamethrower, trust me it's actually pretty good...Of course I think every attack might have it's place haha

hes terrible only probably good at 2v2

Surely you kid. Radec is a boss. A BOSS.

Top Bottom