• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today's matchmaking is terrible. Also upgrades need to go away.

Fantasmo

I just picked up Uncharted 3 the other day because of the price drop.

I am being put into lobbies with prestiged gamers, team gamers, games that are almost over, and I have worthless weapons and abilities.

This isn't unique to Uncharted 3, it is however a huge problem with video games.

Why are all lobbies mixed?

So let's make a comparison to real life. Would you consistently play a real life sport where everyone was constantly dominating you? Where you couldn't play with people of somewhat relative skill level?

Where are the 0-20 lobbies? Or the 20-40 lobbies? How about if someone has a 3.0 k/d? Why, at level 16 am I with prestiged players? Why is there no mercenaries mode? What's up with this?

Second point. Why do these games have upgraded abilities for those who put a lot of time in? That's backwards. Give them handicaps!

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Spinluck

Uncharted 3 has terrible matchmaking, but it certainly isn't alone, not even close.

One thing I find happens often no matter what game I'm playing online(on PS3) is that my party gets split. I can't recall a game that hasn't done this to me yet, it gets very very annoying when it happens often.

More games should just use server lists and making it easy for someone to find a server that is friendly and balanced and not just get thrown to the wolves. In other words I miss how Socom did it in the PlayStation 2 days. That was perfect.

Fantasmo

Wait, nevermind that. I remember Uncharted 2 had this "thing" where if you dropped out one too many times, which is caused by horrible matchmaking, you'd get punished and banned for a time. Does Uncharted 3 have this feature as well?

Imagine if you decided to not play something with a certain group of people in real life, because it wasn't equal at all and became un-fun you'd actually get punished for it?

Wow.

plainr_

I absolutely hate matchmaking. It's good for quick games but sucks at building communities.

Every competitive multiplayer should copy SOCOM 2 lobbies.

Gorillaz

Thats one reason why I have been against class based MP for awhile now. It gets too one sided at times. I always thought weapon spawns were a better idea.

Also MM has been like that across the board lately, I feel the same at times. about it

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait, nevermind that. I remember Uncharted 2 had this "thing" where if you dropped out one too many times, which is caused by horrible matchmaking, you'd get punished and banned for a time. Does Uncharted 3 have this feature as well?

U2 introduced it in a knee-jerk reaction to sore-losers and yeah, it was too punishing for people that get accidental disconnceted (add it to the list of things that changed U2 from GOLD JERRY GOLD to pure shit in the move from 1.00 to 1.04->1.05 and beyond)

I don't recall U3 having it because of fan backlash but don't quote me on that I haven't played U3 simply because U2 became terrible by ND's design choices from beta on.

And yes, match making is shit. Skate 3's matchmaking is basically "throw you in a lobby of a gametype that may not even start because the person sitting there has been waiting ten minutes or is AFK or simply wanted people of your gametype to join so he can free skate with ya'll lololololol" Uncharted's is "get them in a game fast. ELO/Skill? Fuck that!" and Battlefield's is "get them in a server quickly on a map of their choice. No maps in that rotation are empty/slot able to be filled? Next map in the rotation."

I'd rather have a server browser and deal with the shitty community like BF3 does than go back to matchmaking and be at the whim of a developer for what I want to play like Bungie in Halo (sup no Team Swat until Halo 3 released), or Bad Company 2/DICE.

I always thought weapon spawns were a better idea.

No, it's just as bad. Good players will run to the power weapons and camp and hold them to where the other side has no chance.

Really, class-based games are better but the issue is they don't design maps or BALANCE around the classes and test/troll the shit out of their co-workers. Even DICE admits they don't "troll" because they "play like gentlemen" during development and shit like the SURFACE OF THE SUNLIGHT flashlight gets in on launch. :|

I absolutely hate matchmaking. It's good for quick games but sucks at building communities.

Every competitive multiplayer should copy SOCOM 2 lobbies.

Yep. MGO in Subsistence did. SOCOM 2 and MGO were the only two online games I ever got in to. I loved them both.

Current gen online multiplayer games? Fuck them.

...Except Assassin's Creed multiplayer; I have fun with that.

Card Boy

Banned
Uncharted 2 & 3 - Fucken Garbage
Gears of War 2 - 4.5 million on the leaderboards and the shitty matchmaking killed the community
Halo 3 - Luckily Reach fixed it.
Hybrid - this one takes 10 minutes, and will take longer due to noone playing due to the shitty matchmaking.
Gotham City Imposters - WHY?

Embarrassing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The truth is, if you're not COD or Battlefield or Halo, your game community size just doesn't work with matchmaking.

TheSeks

...Except Assassin's Creed multiplayer; I have fun with that.

Ass Creed's multiplayer can be just as shitty: Sup prestige 50 players as a prestige 0 level 50 player in Wanted when I wanted Manhunt (BUT NO GAMES ARE AVAILABLE SO YOU GET SLOTTED IN THIS TO PLAY LOLOLOLOLOL).

It doesn't hurt that Ass Creed is casual enough to where you can simply not give a fuck if it changes modes or maps and puts you in a prestige room. Yeah, getting killed sucks but the stats don't really matter and you can practice your stuns and learn how they find you and stuff.

Jawmuncher

I actually kind of miss people just hosting lobbies like in the original Gears of War.
So many reveiwers complained about it, but hell it worked didnt it?
Better than the matchmaking that plagued Gears 2.

Also matchmaking is a HUGE problem when the games online community becomes smaller. Since you're at the will of the game putting you all together to play IF it even allows you to.

Fantasmo

U2 introduced it in a knee-jerk reaction to sore-losers and yeah, it was too punishing for people that get accidental disconnceted (add it to the list of things that changed U2 from GOLD JERRY GOLD to pure shit in the move from 1.00 to 1.04->1.05 and beyond)

I don't recall U3 having it because of fan backlash but don't quote me on that I haven't played U3 simply because U2 became terrible by ND's design choices from beta on.

And yes, match making is shit. Skate 3's matchmaking is basically "throw you in a lobby of a gametype that may not even start because the person sitting there has been waiting ten minutes or is AFK or simply wanted people of your gametype to join so he can free skate with ya'll lololololol" Uncharted's is "get them in a game fast. ELO/Skill? Fuck that!" and Battlefield's is "get them in a server quickly on a map of their choice. No maps in that rotation are empty/slot able to be filled? Next map in the rotation."

I'd rather have a server browser and deal with the shitty community like BF3 does than go back to matchmaking and be at the whim of a developer for what I want to play like Bungie in Halo (sup no Team Swat until Halo 3 released), or Bad Company 2/DICE.

Whoah. Dude you're awesome. You liked Uncharted 2 before the health was dropped to near CoD levels. I didn't think anymore existed :)

That game rocked when strategy helped you win. Now knee jerk reactions and those who get the drop on someone else wins the match. If you have your back to someone you're basically dead unless you're near cover or can drop off a ledge.

I wouldn't call someone like me a sore loser. When you lose 10 matches in a row you tend to get mad. When you lose 20, you get really frustrated. You see the great game underneath, but you keep getting pitted against people one thousand times better than you, with months of experience!

AND BETTER EQUIPMENT!!

Perks, oh my bad.. BOOSTERS with 3 levels of upgrades? And I don't even start with all of them. There's a playing field disadvantage.

Oh look my gun sucks too, thanks! Wait... WHATS THIS? I have to get into a hundred thousand random matches to get a RARE DRAKE AK47 BY PURE LUCK BY RAIDING TREASURE CHESTS? WHAT IN THE FLYING FFFFFFFFUUUUUU..............

The playing field isn't level at ALL.

Developers listen up! You wanna make more money off of older games? You wanna sit on your ass and watch money come in for awhile?

Make lobbies for different skill levels and make it work right.

And take away those stupid upgrades.

Make as many stupid $2 hats and taunts as you can for all I care.

You do this, and people will stay.

TheExodu5

Banned
Starcraft 2 has the best skill matchmaking system I've seen to date...though that's certainly a lot easier than some games due to the enormous player base. Having the game rank you differently for 1v1, specific teammates, or random was a great idea.

TheSeks

Halo 2 did it right, probably my favorite matchmaking of all time after the update to stop standby.

No, Halo 2 did it wrong. In fact, Halo 2 is the daddy to this shitty trend of shoving matchmaking in every game because "gamers are too dumb to figure out server filters."

Halo 2 had the same issues of Halo 3's playlist and finding people. Just there was more people at Halo 2's launch to where finding good/quick connections was possible.

Jawmuncher

Halo 2 did it right, probably my favorite matchmaking of all time after the update to stop standby.

I agree with that, sad that one of the earliest examples gets it right.

Also at the OP.
I agree about the upgrade shit, I miss MP just being about going into the map and the skill you had within it. Rather than well I played for all this time so I get some cooler shit that can help me out now.

No, Halo 2 did it wrong. In fact, Halo 2 is the daddy to this shitty trend of shoving matchmaking in every game because "gamers are too dumb to figure out server filters."

Halo 2 had the same issues of Halo 3's playlist and finding people. Just there was more people at Halo 2's launch to where finding good/quick connections was possible.

I personally had more issues with Halo 3 over Halo 2.
But I blame that more so on the numerous playlists that Halo 3 had over Halo 2.
But still I agree I wouldn't have minded server filters.

Honestly games just need to include both options, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement.

vocab

It probably has to do with the low player pool in some games. It will match you up with whoever is online because there isnt a big enough gap to find people at certain skill levels.

alr1ght

Second point. Why do these games have upgraded abilities for those who put a lot of time in? That's backwards. Give them handicaps!

Am I the only one that feels this way?

RPG-ified elements are there to hook the OCD crowd which helps facilitate DLC purchases. Competitive balance be damned.

Gorillaz

No, it's just as bad. Good players will run to the power weapons and camp and hold them to where the other side has no chance.

Really, class-based games are better but the issue is they don't design maps or BALANCE around the classes and test/troll the shit out of their co-workers. Even DICE admits they don't "troll" because they "play like gentlemen" during development and shit like the SURFACE OF THE SUNLIGHT flashlight gets in on launch. :|

How is it just as bad? there is no extreme one sided weapons that you have that others don't. Everyone has access to the power weapons and new guys can learn the spot easily. Custom Classes creates such a punishment to new players that it's insane to even try.

I do agree with you on people NOT testing their own games and trolling them to see what the problems are. It's like they hope and wish people wont use certain mechanics and abuse it lol.

TheSeks

I wouldn't call someone like me a sore loser. When you lose 10 matches in a row you tend to get mad. When you lose 20, you get really frustrated. You see the great game underneath, but you keep getting pitted against people one thousand times better than you, with months of experience!

The playing field isn't level at ALL.

U2 had a tremendous rage-quit problem. Like, within the first five minutes of a match if you weren't leading in points on your team/capping the treasure you'd have 3-4 people quit in quick succession and since ND never patched in "join-in-progress" the game would be lopsided, to where people would quit because why stay? There's no harm in leaving. That's why they introduced the quit penalty system. Good idea in theory but in practice it was HORRIBLE because it punished people for leaving because of said matchmaking/lopsided teams or having random disconnects.

Spinluck

I still think there should be a minor penalty... or allowing stats to be retained even after quitting/rage quitting..

UC3 has one of the worst online communities you can come across, you'll see people with 5.0 KDRs, and they'll have outrageous stats.

For example-
Kills: 50000
Deaths: 10000

And then you get into a match with them, and when you're about to beat them they quit. They do this because you can leave a match without the stats carrying over. So basically every time they have a negative KD or even an even one, they'll quit. So yep, a lot of the players are tryhards, who are obsessed with their false stats.

bangai-o

Banned

Are you gonna name a good example? Most games are completely shit at balancing teams and keeping parties together.
Halo series, Starcraft 2. but there is always going to a vocal group to complain while everybody else is having fun playing.
also its not like these games dont offer private matches for you and you friends circle wank for hours on end.

Ass Creed's multiplayer can be just as shitty: Sup prestige 50 players as a prestige 0 level 50 player in Wanted when I wanted Manhunt (BUT NO GAMES ARE AVAILABLE SO YOU GET SLOTTED IN THIS TO PLAY LOLOLOLOLOL).

It doesn't hurt that Ass Creed is casual enough to where you can simply not give a fuck if it changes modes or maps and puts you in a prestige room. Yeah, getting killed sucks but the stats don't really matter and you can practice your stuns and learn how they find you and stuff.

Hey, I didn't say the matchmaking in Ass Creed was good. I just like playing it enough that I don't give a fuck.

TheSeks

I like the Warhawk approach with rooms being separated by skill level and expansion packs.

Warhawk's approach is fine... until you run into "newbie rooms" that are filled with hidden veterans that are rolling newbies because they finally ranked out of the newbie rooms and don't want to play with people at their skill level.

Gorillaz said:
How is it just as bad? there is no extreme one sided weapons that you have that others don't. Everyone has access to the power weapons and new guys can learn the spot easily. Custom Classes creates such a punishment to new players that it's insane to even try.

One sniper rifle that a godly person is using against you and you have no chance of getting versus spending 50+ hours ranking up to get said sniper rifle unlocked to put in your loadout, spawn, and use it against said godly person using it against you.

Which one is worse for newbies? Investing time to get the unlock may suck, but you have the ability to spawn with it and get that person with the "overpowered weapons" eventually, compared to the complete shutting down of a map with weapon drops.

"pro players" will lock newbies out in non-class-based FPS's EASILY because they are able to time the spawn time of the power weapons. That's my point, the newbies will be completely dominated because even if they learn the spot and spawn time, if they don't get there in time, it's over.

Spinluck

Halo series, Starcraft 2. but there is always going to a vocal group to complain while everybody else is having fun playing.
also its not like these games dont offer private matches for you and you friends circle wank for hours on end.

Yea, I can see those as an exception.

But there's still only a handful I can think of.

I don't think you realize but in the end thats your opinion. Whats shitty to you is great to me and millions of other people who loved what bungie did with Halo 2.

TheSeks

I still think there should be a minor penalty... or allowing stats to be retained even after quitting/rage quitting..

UC3 has one of the worst online communities you can come across, you'll see people with 5.0 KDRs, and they'll have outrageous stats.

For example-

And then you get into a match with them, and when you're about to beat them they quit. They do this because you can leave a match without the stats carrying over. So basically every time they have a negative KD or even an even one, they'll quit. So yep, a lot of the players are tryhards, who are obsessed with their false stats.

Or...

*gasp*

... completely drop stats from all games because they're nothing but an e-penis dick-stroking thing. And I say that as a person that has fallen into said e-penis dick-stroking traps at times.

Games dropping the stats would suddenly make the online communities 20x better (or so I hope) because then people would be playing the game because it's fun and they don't care if they lose because hey, next round maybe I can win. Instead of "oh shit, my KDR is tanking. *quit*"

I don't think you realize but in the end thats your opinion. Whats shitty to you is great to me and millions of other people who loved what bungie did with Halo 2.

I'm happy for you and those people that are "too dumb to figure out a server browser"/"want to get into a game within two minutes." But some of us aren't dumb and want to dictate what WE want to play. The fact that Big Team Battle is the only "playlist" I wanted to play in Halo 2 for a long while until they finally added Team Swat (and even then I still had to bend over backwards and invite people/find people in public matches to play Zombies/undead/CTF/etc) is insane.

Card Boy

Banned
I still think there should be a minor penalty.

Golden rule for Shooter multiplayer game development, never punish or shit on you're consumers because you are incompetent/lazy not to include a late join system.

.. or allowing stats to be retained even after quitting/rage quitting..

Agreed. But i am 100% against banning people from playing unless it's a DOTA style game.

Fantasmo

For example-

If they want to do this they have an obligation to create solid matchmaking. Level the field and you'll have a HUGE fan base.

What the hell do they expect new players to do? How do they expect them to react to this?

bangai-o

Banned
i always found it odd how gamers here on neogaf will complain about a game's community when we have neogaf. dont like matchmaking? go join the community thread on the game and play the private games with them!

Card Boy

Banned
i always found it odd how gamers here on neogaf will complain about a game's community when we have neogaf. dont like matchmaking? go join the community thread on the game and play the private games with them!

How does benefit people in minority communities? (meaning people not in Europe or NA)

alr1ght

One sniper rifle that a godly person is using against you and you have no chance of getting versus spending 50+ hours ranking up to get said sniper rifle unlocked to put in your loadout, spawn, and use it against said godly person using it against you.

Which one is worse for newbies? Investing time to get the unlock may suck, but you have the ability to spawn with it and get that person with the "overpowered weapons" eventually, compared to the complete shutting down of a map with weapon drops.

"pro players" will lock newbies out in non-class-based FPS's EASILY because they are able to time the spawn time of the power weapons. That's my point, the newbies will be completely dominated because even if they learn the spot and spawn time, if they don't get there in time, it's over.

What? Getting dominated for 50 hours is somehow better for newbs than learning the map (which will take far less time) in order to get a certain weapon? In U2 you could easily learn the spawn location/timing of a certain weapon in a short number of games. Plus, everyone is on a level playing field, which makes it infinitely better.

zoukka

I have to admit I was a bit flabbergasted when I played Black Ops online and people were level 50, with all guns and perks unlocked, while I was running around stupid with my first submachine gun feeding the enemy.

But it isn't too much different than just sucking on a new game and the unlocking of staff is a great incentive to play.

Fantasmo

Nobody checks the threads.

And by definition that's hardcore.

People like me wanna get in a few matches before bed. Gamers like them should be pitted with gamers like them. If I get that good, match me higher, or give me a weakling lobby for several months. I dunno.. something!

Naughty Dog can make a whole level flip sideways and have the entire level break and undulate but they can't match me with newer players?

Right.... :(

Cartman86

Banned
Just having lobby's would be terrible. I love em for clan stuff and choice is always good, but give me a matchmaking option too so I can quickly get into a party and go. I'm just as likely to get into a room by choice that is full of good people.

Boogdud

Because there's such a glut of disposable multiplayer shooters out there, most of the players stop playing in two weeks. So if they didn't throw you all in the same lobby you'd have 3 people to play with?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Halo 2 did it right

Server filters are fucking bullshit

Why?

Because every one and their fucking mom wants to play the same maps over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Counter-Strike? Dust dust2 dust dust2 dust dust2 dust

Quake 2? q2dm1 q2dm1 q2dm1 q2dm1 q2dm1

Quake 3 rocket arena? ra3map1 ra3map1 ra3map1 ra3map1

Halo Reach is so terrible because of voting... Countdown countdown countdown countdown

Maybe I should play team fortress! 2fort 2fort 2fort 2fort 2fort

I rarely find enough populated servers in PC games of specific maps and modes that it drives me absolutely insane

People don't like variety by nature, they want to stick with what is comfortable to them

Halo 2 did it right because you were given maps and told to STFU and play... And it was fun because of that.

Halo reach, as an example... I have played quite a bit and have still not played on every map. I haven't even memorized where things are on most maps... But countdown? I know every damn inch of that map. Every texture, every piece of geometry. Why? Because the general populace is less exciting than corrugated cardboard.

You know, I used to be like you, ra-ra server browser! PC defense force! Lets give people choice. But then I came to the realization that I was being punished because people were given a choice.

Mechazawa

Shit matchmaking with lobbies is a far sight better than barebones server lists.

Talk about the worst fucking way to try to get a group of friends to play with randoms.

Card Boy

Banned
Just having lobby's would be terrible. I love em for clan stuff and choice is always good, but give me a matchmaking option too so I can quickly get into a party and go. I'm just as likely to get into a room by choice that is full of good people.

You know you can have both right? Have lobbies and quick join, and have an option to filter the quick join to TDM, CTF etc or no preference like TF2 or BF3 on PC.

Gorillaz

Warhawk's approach is fine... until you run into "newbie rooms" that are filled with hidden veterans that are rolling newbies because they finally ranked out of the newbie rooms and don't want to play with people at their skill level.

A godly weapon you can spawn with on ease compared to one you have to pick up/wait to respawn?

You actually think new people have a better chance in MP that has custom classes? classes that are weaker then the higher level people? seriously?

Fantasmo

They just had a price drop. The least they could do until the new year is have 20 level matchmaking splits.

Or get rid of the 300 hour weapon upgrades. Drake's AK isn't just an AK. The stat gets boosted so much higher. And I need to go to GameFAQs to even KNOW that.

Basically since I'm in my thirties I'm not allowed to have fun online anymore and I need a new hobby. Come on now.

Top Bottom