• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection |OT| Les Ports Terribles

GymWolf

You need to select the US version to get the normal speed. PAL versions are slower. I think it might be possible to play in japanese with english subtitles if you choose MGS: Integral but I'm not sure if all the texts are translated.
Can i at least play with english sub and english voice in the us version without any trickery? (no idea what that mgs integral is tbh)

I guess i'm gonna train my english with outlandish kojima terminology :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

VulcanRaven

Can i at least play with english sub and english voice in the us version without any trickery? (no idea what that mgs integral is tbh)

I guess i'm gonna train my english with outlandish kojima terminology :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yes. The US version should have the english subtitles enabled by default. Integral was Japan only release on PS1 that bundled the game and VR Missions together. It also added few extra things like the broken first person mode.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes. The US version should have the english subtitles enabled by default. Integral was Japan only release on PS1 that bundled the game and VR Missions together. It also added few extra things like the broken first person mode.
Oh i don't care for vr missions or the other stuff.

Thanks dude.

Killer8

Patch Ver.1.3.0

If they actually manage to fix these issues present since the HD Collection release:

• An issue that results in the laser pointer effect not displaying in some cutscenes
  • An issue that causes the sea lice to be displayed incorrectly in certain scenes
  • An issue where some face paints are displayed in a lower resolution

I'll be really happy indeed.

GymWolf

I forgot how annoying it was to choke people in mgs1, if you touch em even for a millisecond before the choke the alarm start.

The gameplay hasn't really aged that well, snake movement feels a bit stiff and unprecise.

It has been like 20 years from my last run with these games, do mgs2 and 3 feels better control wise?

RagnarokIV

Still no decent spec CRT filter options for MG1,2 and MGS?

I forgot how annoying it was to choke people in mgs1, if you touch em even for a millisecond before the choke the alarm start.

The gameplay hasn't really aged that well, snake movement feels a bit stiff and unprecise.

It has been like 20 years from my last run with these games, do mgs2 and 3 feels better control wise?
MGS1 - for a regular playthrough just get the suppressor ASAP and shoot them instead of choke.

MGS2 and 3 are much better control wise. And don't have insta-alert. The choke works better in both

Gambit2483

😂 True, MGS1 choke was an "attempt at your own risk" move.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This sucks ass on the left. 4k sharpness is what I dont want on my ps1 games.
Give me raw, original resolution. normal bilinear upscaling should do the job of smoothing the final look like a crt would.
Or at least integer scaling but sharp square pixels were never a thing on a crt
Bingo. Trying to render these to have smoother texture filter was being toyed with like 18-years ago too. Not even just a 4K thing. I agree, let's not screw with these games as they are/were.

VulcanRaven

Master Collection version of MGS1 has problems with the controls. Apparently it doesn't have true analog support like the original. They mapped the d-pad to the analog stick or something like that so it feels worse than it should.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Give me raw, original resolution. normal bilinear upscaling should do the job of smoothing the final look like a crt would.

Duck Station has any number of filters you could want, you don't have to use smoothing filtering either. The options are nice and it would have been nice to have some emulation options in the Master Collection version as well.

As we have it, the way it is, it actually runs worse than the original PS1 version in some ways.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Use the power of the current consoles and PC and give us a damn good CRT filter option (not just drawing shitty scanlines across the screen) and it'll look amazing on an OLED with true blacks.
I replay MGS1 yearly on my old 20inch Pansonic CRT TV and it looks wonderful. Especially the outdoor scenes and in the caves.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Master Collection version of MGS1 has problems with the controls. Apparently it doesn't have true analog support like the original. They mapped the d-pad to the analog stick or something like that so it feels worse than it should.
Fuck me sideways...

So mgs2 and 3 don't have the same problem right?

This must be the lowest effort remaster we ever seen right?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Duck Station has any number of filters you could want, you don't have to use smoothing filtering either. The options are nice and it would have been nice to have some emulation options in the Master Collection version as well.

As we have it, the way it is, it actually runs worse than the original PS1 version in some ways.
That was not a hat towards duckstation. Just this presentation.

Use the power of the current consoles and PC and give us a damn good CRT filter option (not just drawing shitty scanlines across the screen) and it'll look amazing on an OLED with true blacks.
I replay MGS1 yearly on my old 20inch Pansonic CRT TV and it looks wonderful. Especially the outdoor scenes and in the caves.
yeah of course. There is little to no excus for sub par port without amazing crt filter

VulcanRaven

Fuck me sideways...

So mgs2 and 3 don't have the same problem right?

This must be the lowest effort remaster we ever seen right?
I don't have Master Collection on PC but they should work well. You just need mods if you want better resolution than 720p.

Oh i don't care for vr missions or the other stuff.

Thanks dude.
If you ever want to play Integral in english there is the old PC version from 2000 on GOG. That port has problems but it has all the extra content. Most would probably say it has better graphics but I like the PS1 look more.

solidus12

I’m huge Metal Gear fan, but I’m still waiting for Konami to fix their games.

ZI6p7LK.jpg
VTAn3HC.jpg

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Playing it on a MiSTer with decent filters has been great.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Having such good shaders in RetroArch these days has made me realise that both approaches are wrong. Modern systems can and should be throwing on complex shaders that achieve a FAR more accurate result to what developers originally intended. Whether it's a slot mask/aperture grill type higher end CRT or one that incorporates some blur to get rid of the pixel look, for me a simple uprender or basic scanline doesn't cut it for me anymore.

It also added few extra things like the broken first person mode.
~25 years and I just learn about first person mode now?!

Currently watching a run of someone playing the entire game in it, for better or for worse. Tank controls look painful for all the action like bosses with the awful slow turning speed, but it does show off things you don't get to see, like animations playing out from a perspective other than top down.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I’m huge Metal Gear fan, but I’m still waiting for Konami to fix their games.

ZI6p7LK.jpg
VTAn3HC.jpg
Own more copies of the originals than I'd like to. Have international releases too. Forgot about Peace Walker. It'd be great to have a collection with just MGS4 & Peace Walker.

Kerotan

Any tips for the extreme playthrough. What sort of health should you have after the torture scene going into solidus? Do people use turbo's for that or is legit ok?

I did it legit on ps3 version year's ago but this time it will be part of a speed run.

VulcanRaven

Ver.1.4.0 is a available on PC. Its coming to consoles next month. They added option to remove the smoothing filter in MGS1 and you can now use scanline filter. The low res splitter face paint has been fixed in MGS3 etc. Analog inputs not working as intended in MGS1 is under investigation.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Physical PS4 version is listed on Amazon UK and its set to release on March 7. Not sure if its coming to the US.

Last edited:

Killer8

Ver.1.4.0 is a available on PC. Its coming to consoles next month. They added option to remove the smoothing filter in MGS1 and you can now use scanline filter. The low res splitter face paint has been fixed in MGS3 etc. Analog inputs not working as intended in MGS1 is under investigation.

Really good stuff. They've given people almost all of the visual features they wanted for MGS1 (no smoothing, pixel perfect, scanline option) and also fixed several of the longstanding visual bugs from the HD Collection (sea lice, laser sight, face camo).

People will still bitch about the resolution but it's clear that outside of original hardware or emulation, this collection is the best way to play the game now.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I made it to the Ray fight near the end on extreme in about 1hr 30m. Still on track for the big boss rank. These last 2 boss fights will be a bitch though especially as I've no turbo so I'll probably be 1 hit after the torture scene for the solidus fight.

BlackTron

This isn't even good enough to play for free. In fact, I'd pay not to play it.

SCB3

This isn't even good enough to play for free. In fact, I'd pay not to play it.
I’d have to go back and check but I swear the PS1 version is also like this, it came out around the time the dual shock did so was designed with the original non analog stick controller in mind

This however creates an issue in the B1 basement when getting PSG-1 as trying to fucking crawl through that laser field is horrendous on PC

BlackTron

Konami has said that they know about the problem and are investigating.
Good, better than nothing but it's too bad it missed something as fundamental as analog control for launch. People already bought it, played it, got shafted by it.
I’d have to go back and check but I swear the PS1 version is also like this, it came out around the time the dual shock did so was designed with the original non analog stick controller in mind

This however creates an issue in the B1 basement when getting PSG-1 as trying to fucking crawl through that laser field is horrendous on PC

Original had full 360 movement with the analog stick. This one change is enough to completely kill this version.

The consensus is that it's just fine and overpriced.
Without really knowing the differnces, most people wouldnt notice the issues

Actually that's even worse, it means people who never played the game would have no way to know they are being served a shit experience buying it off the shelf. Your average joe could get it just by buying the game in 1998 and picking up a Dual Shock. You didn't need to know the difference, wait for an update, or generally bother giving a shit to make sure you weren't playing a shit version of the game, but you do now.

If I never played an old game you could take out an entire level and I wouldn't know as "most people". If you didn't know, you wouldn't notice is acceptable now? WOW.

Edit: I just thought of a way better example. You never played Super Mario 64. Therefore you never realize how shit the DS version is to control in comparison. Even if you use a circle pad or newer DS with analog, you just have no idea what you're missing with analog control actually coded. Imagine a new version of Mario 64 with d-pad controls mapped to the stick but we call this fine to serve to "most people" because *checks notes* they won't know the difference.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'm hoping to Platinum MGS1 but I'll wait for that next patch for my second play through, sounds promising.

Really just wish they'd used the emulator Sony built for PS Premium.

Roufianos

Actually that's even worse, it means people who never played the game would have no way to know they are being served a shit experience buying it off the shelf. Your average joe could get it just by buying the game in 1998 and picking up a Dual Shock. You didn't need to know the difference, wait for an update, or generally bother giving a shit to make sure you weren't playing a shit version of the game, but you do now.

If I never played an old game you could take out an entire level and I wouldn't know as "most people". If you didn't know, you wouldn't notice is acceptable now? WOW.
That MGS subreddit is full of embarrassing Konami shills with absolutely zero standards. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Konami has staff posting in there.

SCB3

Therefore you never realize how shit the DS version is to control in comparison. Even if you use a circle pad or newer DS with analog, you just have no idea what you're missing with analog control actually coded
Even worse Mario 64 DS could be controlled and was advised to be controlled using the Touchscreen and the weird circle stylus on the Wrist Strap on the Console

BlackTron

Even worse Mario 64 DS could be controlled and was advised to be controlled using the Touchscreen and the weird circle stylus on the Wrist Strap on the Console

Yeah I know, I had it (with phat DS as a gift). I was pretty insulted by it, given (I thought) the whole point of this game was to show what's oNly poSsiBLe wiTh A cOntr0L sTicK! I even remember before N64 launch, it was maybe Miyamoto or perhaps even Yamachi said that the real revolutionary thing about N64 isn't the hardware, it's the controller. Then they just serve you the exact same game without it and yeah, I guess if you never had a N64. You wouldn't know how shit it was!

We really shouldn't be discussing SM64 DS along with MGS1. Says everything

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That MGS subreddit is full of embarrassing Konami shills with absolutely zero standards. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Konami has staff posting in there.
Idk there are tons of hate posts. People love mgs, not Konami

VulcanRaven

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection now fully Steam Deck compatible:

A new update for Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Volume 1 will finally make Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and the bonus content compatible with Steam Deck.

As shared on the official Japanese Metal Gear social media account, Version 1.4.1 is available for the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Volume 1 on Steam from today (29th January).

"The main changes are that MGS2, MGS3, and bonus content will now be compatible with Steam Deck," the account stated (via Google translate). It noted that other Metal Gear games are already compatible with Valve's portable PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom