• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection |OT| Les Ports Terribles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not specifically for this collection, but Peace Walker HD is currently on sale on Xbox. It's 1080p-ish 60 FPS and backwards compatible.

Rarely goes on sale, and the original X360 collection (MGS2/3) has already been de-listed.

So, might be a good idea to pick this up before this gets delisted in the future.

Deerock71

Just to allay my own personal fears, I downloaded all the games onto a second Switch with the game card. I can confirm all games are fully playable on both Switches as long as the game card is inserted. "Checking if the software can be played, Daddy..." can suck deez nutz!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just to allay my own personal fears, I downloaded all the games onto a second Switch with the game card. I can confirm all games are fully playable on both Switches as long as the game card is inserted. "Checking if the software can be played, Daddy..." can suck deez nutz!
How else is it suppose to work? lol

You get free games otherwise then sell the cart.

If you would have just them digital you could have j stalled them on multiple switches. 😱

Last edited:

Svejk

Dang... Every time this thread pops up, I get excited in hopes for some more patches... *sigh FFS, patch MGS1 with true analog support already!

Gambit2483

Dang... Every time this thread pops up, I get excited in hopes for some more patches... *sigh FFS, patch MGS1 with true analog support already!
Have they added full screen support for the MSX games yet? You'd think that would be a fairly easy update to add...

Deerock71

How else is it suppose to work? lol

You get free games otherwise then sell the cart.

If you would have just them digital you could have j stalled them on multiple switches. 😱
Actually, the Ezio Collection from Ubisoft had complications with playing on multiple systems, so it was a valid concern.

What's the verdict on this collection? I wanted on Switch but download is a no no. So PS5 has all games on disc, right?

How does it play? Should I just stick with PSX MGS and MGS2 on PS2 or is this worth picking up?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So PS5 has all games on disc, right?
All the games are on the disc, and are fully playable from start to finish. However, they've released a boatload of patches for this, so you'll have a better experience if you update. The only thing not included on the disc itself are the graphic novels, and additional language packs depending on your region.

Deerock71

What's the verdict on this collection? I wanted on Switch but download is a no no. So PS5 has all games on disc, right?

How does it play? Should I just stick with PSX MGS and MGS2 on PS2 or is this worth picking up?
Take a look at my recent comments on owning the game card. YES, you do have to download the games, but if you have the game card, they all boot up without the dread message, "Checking if the software can be played...". So, it's an issue if you're ever not able to download them onto a future Switch. However, I can confirm the game card works on muliple Switches.

Take a look at my recent comments on owning the game card. YES, you do have to download the games, but if you have the game card, they all boot up without the dread message, "Checking if the software can be played...". So, it's an issue if you're ever not able to download them onto a future Switch. However, I can confirm the game card works on muliple Switches.
Still a no dice for me. I appreciate the information though!

proandrad

Been playing the collection on pc, sadly mgs1 is still poor even modded compared to running it on duckstation.
But, MGS2/3 are fantastic, especially if you use the msghdfix mod. Runs and looks like a dream on steam deck. I highly recommend just playing mgs1 on an emulator and getting mgs2/3 on steam separately on pc.

VulcanRaven

I recommend MGS2 and 3 for the widescreen and image quality alone. They are much better than playing PS2 on modern TVs.

Last edited:
I recommend MGS2 and 3 for the widescreen and image quality alone. They are much better than playing PS2 on modern TVs.
Cool, I ended up leaving without it but will keep my eye on it for the future. I played through ZOE 2nd Runner recently and it made me really want to play MGS2 and while I could boot it up on Ps2, some better quality (even if only slight) wouldn't go amiss.

VulcanRaven

Ver.1.5.0 released on PC. Later in March on consoles. Apparently the analog support for MGS1 has been fixed:

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Version​

• Fixed an issue in which certain cutscenes stopped playing
  • Fixed an issue in which analog input did not work as intended
  • Removed the "Download" option from the main menu ( Steam® )
  • Changed it so that Window Mode settings cannot be altered on Steam Deck™ ( Steam® )
  • Fixed some other minor issues

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version​

• Added pause menu
    Audio settings, screen settings (Steam® only), the online manual, resetting the game, and returning to the main menu can now be accessed via the pause menu.
    • Fixed a portion of in-game text
    • Added Steam Input support ( Steam® )
    • Fixed an issue where inputs via the keyboard are registered in-game even while the Alt key is held down ( Steam® )

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version​

• Added "ADDITIONAL SETTINGS" feature
    Audio options, screen options (Steam® only), mouse sensitivity options (Steam® only), the online manual, and returning to the main menu can be accessed via "ADDITIONAL SETTINGS" within the Options menu.
  • Added "MOUSE SENSITIVITY" options ( Steam® )
    Mouse sensitivity can be adjusted via the Additional Settings menu.
    • Fixed an issue where a portion of character textures are displayed at a low resolution
    • Fixed an issue where inputs via the keyboard are registered in-game even while the Alt key is held down ( Steam® )

Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Master Collection Version​

• Added the option to mute audio

METAL GEAR SOLID MASTER COLLECTION Vol.1 BONUS CONTENT​

• Removed the "Download" option from the main menu ( Steam® )
  • Changed it so that Window Mode settings cannot be altered on Steam Deck™ ( Steam® )

Issues Under Investigation​

We are investigating the issues below and working to resolve them.
We will provide further details regarding fixes for these issues at a later time.

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version​

• An issue where audio distortions occur ( Nintendo Switch™ )
We will continue to provide regular updates on future improvements and fixes as further details are finalized.

Last edited:

Denton

Glad to see them patching it, but did they add arbitrary resolution support yet? Having to use mods to escape 720p prison is ridiculous.

VulcanRaven

The new update gets released on Switch and Xbox Series X/S today. Patch notes:

Ver.1.5.0 will be available for users on Nintendo Switch™ & Xbox Series X|S beginning Mar. 26th, 2024.
The Ver.1.5.0 update for Steam® was released on Mar. 13th, 2024. The Ver.1.5.0 update for PlayStation® 5 & PlayStation® 4 was released on Mar. 19th, 2024

Last edited:
Top Bottom