• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I always liked Dragona.

She'd be cool one second, then someone would trigger something and she'd go all Casshern Sins on the thread. Bodies everywhere.
Ive actually sorta drifted away from OT gaf in the last few months. Makes my life way easier to deal with, instead of getting raged at random bullshit a poster puts on the forum.

Same. I think it was the the Trayvon thread that did it for me.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm probably 50/50 on the gaming/ot, now.

I think the Trayvon Martin threads are partially responsible but I know that it also has to do with us entering the gaming season. I still check the OT before I check gaming, so there's that.

DominoKid

Perception is indeed everything.
I can almost feel the negative perception people have of me.
Like its just a tangible shadow.
And yet I feel like nothing I do changes that perception.

DominoKid

Just my general interactions w/ the world around me.
I don't deserve the contempt and doubt that I generate within people.

You shouldn't expect me to be a dishonest person.
You shouldn't expect me to not answer a question correctly.
You shouldn't be surprised when I speak well...or that I'm an excellent writer.

I don't get it. Like...I do, but I really don't.
I rock to my own beat, but I'm not that different.

I wish I could see myself how other people see me, so I could figure out what the fuck the problem is.

Onemic

Just my general interactions w/ the world around me.
I don't deserve the contempt and doubt that I generate within people.

You shouldn't expect me to be a dishonest person.
You shouldn't expect me to not answer a question correctly.
You shouldn't be surprised when I speak well...or that I'm an excellent writer.

I don't get it. Like...I do, but I really don't.
I rock to my own beat, but I'm not that different.

I wish I could see myself how other people see me, so I could figure out what the fuck the problem is.

Where do you live? And why do you think people look at you in a negative light?

DominoKid

Where do you live? And why do you think people look at you in a negative light?

NC. I don't think, I know.

I know it when I see the look on professors faces when I answer a question or when I catch ear of department gossip (its never ever positive).
I know it when my classmates tell me "oh I didn't know you were smart."
I know it when I get accused of selling drugs on the job (thats just wrong on 2 levels lol) and being untrustworthy as far as running the register.

It kills me to know that I get knocked on some arbitrary shit as soon as I walk in a room.
It's a feeling that's hard for me to even put into words. But I'm just sick of it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
NC. I don't think, I know.

I know it when I see the look on professors faces when I answer a question or when I catch ear of department gossip (its never ever positive).
I know it when my classmates tell me "oh I didn't know you were smart."
I know it when I get accused of selling drugs on the job (thats just wrong on 2 levels lol) and being untrustworthy as far as running the register.

It kills me to know that I get knocked on some arbitrary shit as soon as I walk in a room.
It's a feeling that's hard for me to even put into words. But I'm just sick of it.

Life is always full of moments that will make you uncomfortable. Especially if your a self aware minority male in america. The secret is to always have f--k you money in the bank for life's uncertainties. Also travel whenever possible to avoid the negativity at Home. Do these things and the stuff you think will bother you will become pointless. Its not that you won't have these feeling you will just have the perspective to be able to brush them off easier as the opinions of small people whose opinions should mean noting to you.

DominoKid

Life is always full of moments that will make you uncomfortable. Especially if your a self aware minority male in america. The secret is to always have f--k you money in the bank for life's uncertainties. Also travel whenever possible to avoid the negativity at Home. Do these things and the stuff you think will bother you will become pointless. Its not that you won't have these feeling you will just have the perspective to be able to brush them off easier as the opinions of small people whose opinions should mean noting to you.

I want these opinions to not matter. Thats my whole motivation for success.
But they do. Bosses, professors, even peers. It all matters.
People making assumptions about your whole persona based on the little window they have into your life.
I just want to be respected the same way everybody else is.

People making assumptions about your whole persona based on the little window they have into your life.

that's not going to happen in your lifetime. still, live long and stay strong.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

That's your first mistake most people don't respect or like other people. They just tolerate each other due to the constraints society puts on public interaction.

Now in some instances you might be lucky and the people around you will generally be polite and respectful but even in those situations someones bias and ignorance might come through in small talk or in a oddly worded observation.

It happened all the time when I undergrad and when I worked for a few years after school, and its happening now that I am in a masters program. I make a note of who does it to avoid them in the future. I then choose to ignore it because I have better things to do than consider the bias or negativity of people who at best are acquaintance.

Don't assume because people have attained a degree that they are educated or intelligent, mature, or even logical. All a degree implies is a specialty on a topic and the ability to put on airs of being sophisticated.

Just get money and style on those fools, spending time to consider their opinions to be anything but foolishness is an exercise in futility.

Onemic

That's your first mistake most people don't respect or like other people. They just tolerate each other due to the constraints society puts on public interaction.

Now in some instances you might be lucky and the people around you will generally be polite and respectful but even in those situations someones bias and ignorance might come through in small talk or in a oddly worded observation.

It happened all the time when I undergrad and when I worked for a few years after school, and its happening now that I am in a masters program. I make a note of who does it to avoid them in the future. I then choose to ignore it because I have better things to do than consider the bias or negativity of people who at best are acquaintance.

Don't assume because people have attained a degree that they are educated or intelligent, mature, or even logical. All a degree implies is a specialty on a topic and the ability to put on airs of being sophisticated.

Just get money and style on those fools, spending time to consider their opinions to be anything but foolishness is an exercise in futility.

This. I'm guessing NC also has racist tendencies? I honestly don't feel this way at all around my college. The amount of times where I felt that way in my 4 years there I could probably count on one hand.

And can't you do something about your job situation if you're being falsely accused simply because you're black?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
random but I hate that it's only the same few people that post in this thread when I know their are more of us on gaf.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
random but I hate that it's only the same few people that post in this thread when I know their are more of us on gaf.

It used to be quite busy in the early (barbershop) days...doesn't help that half of us are missing (mustafa where you at?)

akira28

I had a feeling he wasn't playing at all. When all you can say is you seriously fucked up, as a hasty explanation for why people won't be seeing you for a while, and you're in a foreign country? And you don't go into details about something that basically screams 'tell me what is going on', possibly because you could make things worse?

Yeah I hope he's ok. Because if it was anything other than trouble, we would have heard or seen of him by now, after a post like that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It used to be quite busy in the early (barbershop) days...doesn't help that half of us are missing (mustafa where you at?)

i dont think many of the ones that posted are still here, or even aware that bcGAF exists. the barbershop merging was a huge blow. i dont even think latinoGAF has returned.

Old Lace

Maybe if you all would stop talking about struggle chicken all the time more peoples would come out and play.

Publix chicken ain't that great.

Parallax

Maybe if you all would stop talking about struggle chicken all the time more peoples would come out and play.

Publix chicken ain't that great.

we dont even have publix in the west, so it should be auto banned from chicken conversations.

Slayven

Nu blood is cool, but a too big or active of a thread results in posters talking at each other rather then with each other. But everyone knows Toku-Gaf will own the place in 5 years.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's always amazing to see the defense force of sexual assault come out of the woodwork.

What are you even talking about Devo? I mean, really, how is flashing your badge and then sticking your hand up a woman's skirt to fondle her genital triangle POSSIBLY predatory behavior?

Parallax

Nu blood is cool, but a too big or active of a thread results in posters talking at each other rather then with each other. But everyone knows Toku-Gaf will own the place in 5 years.

in a way, im kinda glad tokugaf isnt big. i could easily see that thread spiraling out of control.

^I haven't seen that many dicks in one place since *Choose Your Own Joke!*

*"the Republican National Convention!"
*"the WWE Writers board room!"
*"my ex-girlfriend's birthday party!"
*"Professor Beef's welcoming party!"

Top Bottom