• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
What do you guys think of Patrice O'neal?

A genius that wasn't afraid to push comedy to the edge in this currently extra sensitive politically correct atmosphere. R.I.P
Dude died before he really got his big moment though.

Whats scares me is the real shit that isn't comedy like those comments made by that judge the other day.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
welcome to some of the less familiar faces.

Now you are on the mans radar as well lol.

Slayven

Anyone else know old black dudes that always have a cigarette hanging from their lip and speak that language that you can only smile and nod in response. Or is that just a southern thing? You know the only words you understand are"there" and "boy".

RedSwirl

Anyone else know old black dudes that always have a cigarette hanging from their lip and speak that language that you can only smile and nod in response. Or is that just a southern thing? You know the only words you understand are"there" and "boy".

Southern thing. For some reason more often than not they also seem to be auto mechanics.

NC definitely has racist tendencies. It just gets covered up well because people are so subtle with it.

It's weird. I feel like this no matter where I go, be it the beach, the piedmont or the mountains. It's one of the reasons I cant wait to leave the state.
I haven't been to a lot of places, but I've never felt so uncomfortable as I do in my own home state.

Doesn't seem too bad to me. Where do you stay Boone?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The state is retarded.

Raleigh is backwards because of NC State's bullshittery, Durham is the biggest hood you never heard of, Greensboro is a wannabe Atlanta, the beach is stuck in a 80s mentality, the mountains have plenty of trees to hang you from, Charlotte is great - but all about some good old gentrification.

You have to leave. Or get some true out-of-state perspective for a few months, maybe a year, to really get a feel for things. NC is not up to speed on anything but sports.

DominoKid

The state is retarded.

Raleigh is backwards because of NC State's bullshittery, Durham is the biggest hood you never heard of, Greensboro is a wannabe Atlanta, the beach is stuck in a 80s mentality, the mountains have plenty of trees to hang you from, Charlotte is great - but all about some good old gentrification.

You have to leave. Or get some true out-of-state perspective for a few months, maybe a year, to really get a feel for things. NC is not up to speed on anything but sports.

the realest shit ever wrote about NC.

I've lurked too long.

Where you're from- Jamaica
Where you live- I just moved to Boston for college.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Entire family's Jamaican.
Do you know your roots- No
Your Age- 18
Favorite musical genre- Hip-Hop
Your profession/major/career interest- Computer Science
Your religious affiliation- None
Hobbies- Video games, music, tv

Is it true that in Jamaica they think eating out a woman is disgusting?

PlayDat

I've heard from Jamaicans and other people in the islands that they find non vaginal intercourse disgusting. Don't know if that's changed though. I don't really keep up with Jamaican culture as much as some of my family.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yep. A fair few

Some crazy some just dress for the fun of it

Another question. We got any barbers in here? Need to know something about some Wahl products

I'm not a barber but you should only mess with the andis professional quality clippers.... everything else is a gimmick.

I'm not a barber but you should only mess with the andis professional quality clippers.... everything else is a gimmick.

This is what I'm thinking.

But a lot of reviews online and especially YouTube suggest the Wahl prfessiinal detailer beats all andis outliner products. They're all barbers too

The problem is I refuse to pay so much for shaping my hairline and beard as they grow so much mid be spending £10 a week. So I haven't been to see a barber in a minute now. I've got good lines, but shit never seems to cut to skin properly. Always looks like I shaved week ago even tho I shaved yesterday!

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The state is retarded.

Indeed; I believe it was Raliegh that still had sports grills denying black people entrance. As a resident of Durham, I can attest to the downtrodden areas that make up much of this city. I don't like making generalizations, as the RTP is pretty much an oasis for this state (lots of good research work is done here) but it's not some place I'd want to be stationary for the rest of my life.

BHZ Mayor

But a lot of reviews online and especially YouTube suggest the Wahl prfessiinal detailer beats all andis outliner products. They're all barbers too

The problem is I refuse to pay so much for shaping my hairline and beard as they grow so much mid be spending £10 a week. So I haven't been to see a barber in a minute now. I've got good lines, but shit never seems to cut to skin properly. Always looks like I shaved week ago even tho I shaved yesterday!

I cut my own hair and I've always used Wahl clippers with no problems. I'm open to other opinions though.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I might look into it I need some new clippers

RedSwirl

Way back in the last thread I said I was from a military family, but I spent most of my "main" childhood in NC so I consider myself to be "from" there, my brother even more so (who still lives in Raleigh). Don't really remember much "wrong" with the state, but maybe that's just me.

NC is not up to speed on anything

Hey man what the fuck.

but sports.

ron-simmons-damn-o.gif

One of the forums I posted at there was a woman from NC who basically said, and I quote, "I'd fuck a black man but I don't know about marrying one." This is before I was a feminist and big on not using the b-word so I just flat out said, "you're a racist bitch."

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Not yet. FWIW, I see plenty of (attractive) IR couples quite frequently around southpoint mall. There are patches of progressive folk in certain parts of town, just not as much as I'd like. You're still likely to receive some looks of ire and suspicion especially if you're a black dude with a reasonably attractive white girl on your arm.

RedSwirl

One of the forums I posted at there was a woman from NC who basically said, and I quote, "I'd fuck a black man but I don't know about marrying one." This is before I was a feminist and big on not using the b-word so I just flat out said, "you're a racist bitch."

Huh. Anecdotal, but my brother's married to an NC white woman from a catholic family. Their neighborhood in Raleigh seems pretty diverse (they aren't the only interracial couple) - maybe just the upscale suburb part of the city? This is really the first I've heard people speak of NC like this.

Then again, my family is originally from Arkansas so maybe I'm just thinking relatively.

Huh. Anecdotal, but my brother's married to an NC white woman from a catholic family. Their neighborhood in Raleigh seems pretty diverse (they aren't the only interracial couple) - maybe just the upscale suburb part of the city? This is really the first I've heard people speak of NC like this.

Then again, my family is originally from Arkansas so maybe I'm just thinking relatively.

She was from Western NC which I'm told is awful.

DY_nasty

Not yet. FWIW, I see plenty of (attractive) IR couples quite frequently around southpoint mall. There are patches of progressive folk in certain parts of town, just not as much as I'd like. You're still likely to receive some looks of ire and suspicion especially if you're a black dude with a reasonably attractive white girl on your arm.

Southpoint has been pretty decent since they dedicated a substantial police force (not just rent-a-cops and security) to handling the area all the way to both exit ramps. The curfew has been good too.

Chapel Hill isn't all that bad it just... I think a lot of NC has deep seeded issues that they feel that they can ignore into non-existence. Chapel Hill's drug problem is amazing.

Oral in general is considered to be pretty gross, and some just think it's outright degrading. Like Faceless mentioned, the attitude is starting to go away, but it stems from a combination of posturing, misinformation and plain ol' filthiness; lightly rinsing your taint is not a proper substitute for washing your damn skin, no mater who told you otherwise. I think that popular opinion will probably stay that way for a while.

So is NC the new Florida?

Not enough crazy people and over-priced utilities.

The state is retarded.

I don't get this. Do you mean that the mayor of Greensboro's decisions reflects those of Atlanta's mayor? I've only been to atlanta once for a family reunion I think so there wasn't any time for me to really know about the politics of that place.

DY_nasty

I don't get this. Do you mean that the mayor of Greensboro's decisions reflects those of Atlanta's mayor? I've only been to atlanta once for a family reunion I think so there wasn't any time for me to really know about the politics of that place.

Oh no. Not politically. I mean as in what the area tries to emulate. NC has this really big issue of being culturally behind and always playing catch up - The entire state lacks style. Its a terrible mesh of DC funk, NYC attitude, Memphis Thuggin, Atlanta GA laid back that turn into something that just has no identify at all. Greensboro is just a terrible attempt at emulating what makes Atlanta awesome. It has everything Atlanta does, just smaller, tackier, and with less substance.

DominoKid

Oh no. Not politically. I mean as in what the area tries to emulate. NC has this really big issue of being culturally behind and always playing catch up - The entire state lacks style. Its a terrible mesh of DC funk, NYC attitude, Memphis Thuggin, Atlanta GA laid back that turn into something that just has no identify at all. Greensboro is just a terrible attempt at emulating what makes Atlanta awesome. It has everything Atlanta does, just smaller, tackier, and with less substance.

*plays church organ*
tumblr_m5j9c8bnoR1r3g99t.gif

Top Bottom